• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Saitou said:
I've been thinking about this.

Taking into consideration his possible AS, and his phobia of the word 'people' and 'person', he might avoid talking to NPCs entirely.

Just something that ocurred to me.

He's beaten Final Fantasy VI, though...or at least gotten to the first fight with Ultros.

Link Man

Banned
Saitou said:
I've been thinking about this.

Taking into consideration his possible AS, and his phobia of the word 'people' and 'person', he might avoid talking to NPCs entirely.

Just something that ocurred to me.
Nonsense. The necessary info is presented without having to initiate a conversation in that game.

Also, why are you still a junior?

senahorse

pxleyes said:
I mean the guy is talking about dreaming about the view from the mountains. WTF.

You try playing bubsy for 500 hours and see if you don't start seeing it everywhere, even in your dreams/nightmares :lol

Seriously though, much respect to this interesting fellow. As has been stated it might be a waste of time for us but he sure is dedicated in what he does.

Bubsy 3D may be the worst game i've ever beaten. No, wait, I beat Sonic 360 with all 3 characters. I have a morbid fascination with train wreck games; both of those entertained me immensely due to their shittiness.

Visiting his site is so surreal. Reading a small portion of the biographical section affected me the way experiencing a work of art would. The way its written and the meticulous details he can recall are oddly compelling and I felt really weird reading it. This guy makes me so sad, and reminds me of a couple people I knew. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

Wollan

This game looks like a cg mockup. Some movies (Inside Man for example) uses non realtime cg representing a fictional game and it shows. Just got the same vibe from watching this vid of Bubsy 3D. Also, the music is a kinda addictive not to mention the narration.

I...watched the mundane and tedious video while trying to comprehend how anyone can play that for 500 hours....before I realized it I watched nearly the entire thing.

That voice of his is soo soothing, and oddly compelling to listen to. It really is hypnotic.

shoplifter

PowerSmell said:
He also says that video game addiction led to his mental problems.

I'm not sure I actually believe that. I think he just played a lot of them as a kid and because of his pre-existing conditions, that's how he ended up viewing the world.

pj

Banned
vdo said:
from http://www.youtube.com/user/ulillillia:

GAF member confirmed. OK who is it?

theamazingrace.gif

Economan

Fuck, I've watched this video twice now. He's got me memorized, and I find it sad that there isn't a second part of this video (what are the other 4 secretes damn it!)

Also, does anyone know wtf he's says stuff like 'position XM'.

miyuru

When you pause it shows you some sort of alphanumeric code based on your position. I wonder what this had to do with the actual game?

Or, a better guess would be that it's a Gameshark type code that has the game display your position in such a fashion when you pause. I guess he figured out what parts of the code referred to vertical distance.

shoplifter said:
I'm not sure I actually believe that. I think he just played a lot of them as a kid and because of his pre-existing conditions, that's how he ended up viewing the world.

His parents have probably told him, and themselves, the same thing over and over until they all started to believe it.

Also, I'm surprised by how few people in this thread have posted to try and poke fun at the guy. I'm impressed.

Brannon

Night_Trekker said:
His parents have probably told him, and themselves, the same thing over and over until they all started to believe it.

Also, I'm surprised by how few people in this thread have posted to try and poke fun at the guy. I'm impressed.

It would be a dick move to rail on him. Like making fun of people with Prader-Willi syndrome. Chris Crocker, on the other hand...

On the subject of games, wouldn't Just Cause be the perfect game for him? He likes mountains and jumping off things and being in high places. I'd almost say it was made with him in mind. I wonder if somebody could mod the PC version to give the main character super powers of flights and running/hovering?

Did an idea just spring from my head?

Just Cause: Heroes - Peter Petrelli takes a vacation on San Esperito, only to find that he is needed to save the day! Will he succeed?

This mod could totally work.

Link Man

Banned
Brannon said:
It would be a dick move to rail on him. Like making fun of people with Prader-Willi syndrome. Chris Crocker, on the other hand...

On the subject of games, wouldn't Just Cause be the perfect game for him? He likes mountains and jumping off things and being in high places. I'd almost say it was made with him in mind. I wonder if somebody could mod the PC version to give the main character super powers of flights and running/hovering?

Did an idea just spring from my head?

Just Cause: Heroes - Peter Petrelli takes a vacation on San Esperito, only to find that he is needed to save the day! Will he succeed?

This mod could totally work.
Crackdown would work just as well, I'd think.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I remember my sister buying this game with her Christmas money, as she'd just completed Croc.

I think it was probably the worst decision of her life.

D-X

The attention to detail is amazing I do have a certain respect for anyone who goes to the trouble of discovering every aspect of a game and pushing it's boundaries.

Say what you want about his voice but he does have a good presenting style.

You actually stopped for 5 minutes to watch arguably the worst game ever because of him.

Slavik81

cjtiger300 said:
Yep, he needs help. Sad thing is, he probably won't get it.
Why would he need help? He seems to be perfectly happy and he makes pretty cool and interesting videos for people.

Unless he has financial troubles or something like that, there's really no problem.

It's his ability to articulate his strange fascinations that make him so interesting. I think he has a fundamental understanding of his thought process. Most people do things without thought, and if you asked them to describe what they just did, they would struggle with it. He, I'm sure, could methodically list all of the steps involved. Hopefully he can get a career that suits his strengths... he seems to be very obsessive and quirky without being annoying, which is rather unique.

Xabora

OpinionatedCyborg said:
It's his ability to articulate his strange fascinations that make him so interesting. I think he has a fundamental understanding of his thought process. Most people do things without thought, and if you asked them to describe what they just did, they would struggle with it. He, I'm sure, could methodically list all of the steps involved. Hopefully he can get a career that suits his strengths... he seems to be very obsessive and quirky without being annoying, which is rather unique.
If I had a business that did stuff like that... I'd hire him...
Then get him an office with solitude so he can work at up most efficiency.

Link Man

Banned
Xabora said:
If I had a business that did stuff like that... I'd hire him...
Then get him an office with solitude so he can work at up most efficiency.
Admit it, part of the reason would be the smell.

The total lack of emotion in his voice is impressive.
If you feel interesting the way he thinks i suggest you to read "The curious incident of the dog in the night time"

Top Bottom