• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

Bog

Junior Ace
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I...watched the mundane and tedious video while trying to comprehend how anyone can play that for 500 hours....before I realized it I watched nearly the entire thing.

That voice of his is soo soothing, and oddly compelling to listen to. It really is hypnotic.

Everything this guy said.

Speevy

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was able to pick up GunValkyrie or some hardcore shooter and give play-by-play on odd moments as he completed it with ease.

I lost count of how many times the words "fascinating" has been used. Hes dedicated a ridiculous portion of his life to a crappy, crappy game. I don't think hes a repressed genius or savant, I just think hes lost it.

NolbertoS

Interesting guy although odd. He seems to like Simple games like Busby, wish I had my old Commodore 64 games, as I'm sure he'd find them fascinating, if he's not already playing them

Esperado

Wait, I read that where he lived they didn't have internet faster than 56k. Did he upload those videos on a 56k modem?

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
I can't believe some of you people actually think he's some misunderstood genius.

I've graduated from high school with a B or B- average.

way to go, Ulillillia.

TheWolf

Banned
At the time I made the song, I didn't know about it. I do know now - use "line-in" as the recording device. BTW - I use a coaxial cable as my TV doesn't use RCA cables.

poor guy. someone get him a new TV.

Red Scarlet

I watched most of the video..it is somewhat hypnotic although what he said was kinda boring. I had no idea what he was talking about most of the time in Bubsy 3D.

He could've just gotten further in FF12 to level up in some better spots or grind Dustia though. And it's faster to hold triangle and just push up once while selling loot..maybe I should suggest that.

BIG BUBBA said:
I can't believe some of you people actually think he's some misunderstood genius.

Eh. I've known a few geniuses who simply couldn't be bothered to give a shit about High School, and probably ended up with worse than B- averages. It's not like it's necessarily an accurate measure of intelligence.

I agree that he's not quite the savant people make him out to be, though, considering that he believes you can remove 99% of the fat from a pizza by soaking it up with paper towels.

This is why I love the internet, he is my new hero.

His melodic voice is certainly a +5 to my joy, bringing my hapiness rating to a 12.

Fady K

I don't know whats scarier, 500 hours with a game (which many of my friends unfortunately succumbed to with a few online games) or 500 hours in a NON-online game thats barely presentable :/

jman2050

bobbyconover said:
Eh. I've known a few geniuses who simply couldn't be bothered to give a shit about High School, and probably ended up with worse than B- averages. It's not like it's necessarily an accurate measure of intelligence.

I agree that he's not quite the savant people make him out to be, though, considering that he believes you can remove 99% of the fat from a pizza by soaking it up with paper towels.

He claims he lost 50 pounds as a result, so who really knows? *shrugs*

That said, this is extremely fascinating. I can relate fundamentally to how he thinks, though he obviously carries this to an extreme, disturbing degree. Too much for me to handle anyway.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
bobbyconover said:

Seriously. I remember getting the highest score on my high school chemistry final, and having it be just enough to raise my grade to a D-. It all depends on how much weight your teacher gives quiz and test scores.
There was a girl in an area high school who had a 4.7 GPA and scored ~850 on her SAT, LMFAO.

border

Looking over his website, I'm not sure why people seem to think this guy is Good Will Hunting or whatever. He just strikes me as an obsessive basement case.....which is not so uncommon if you are used to dealing with dorky communities.

He doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent at all. He's just specialized in gaming/IT to a degree that very few people could tolerate. His anti-social behavior is just a reprecussion of that.

TAJ said:
There was a girl in an area high school who had a 4.7 GPA and scored ~850 on her SAT, LMFAO.

You're laughing at someone that has an average to below average IQ who apparently worked her ass off in school to compensate. She'll probably go pretty fucking far in life.

(Unless that high school was a complete joke)

Speevy

Banned
mentalfloss said:
He doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent at all. He's just specialized in gaming/IT to a degree that very few people could tolerate. His anti-social behavior is just a reprecussion of that.

Maybe he's a math whiz or someone who can program software really well.

Just because someone doesn't carry on an elegant conversation doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

LM4sure said:
ahahahahah..he talks about this stuff like people care. that video was hysterical

I'm sure he has a condition similar if not exactly like Aspergers or Autism, in that he lacks empathy for other people and is only preoccupied with his own activity.

I don't think he's a misunderstood genius. Rather, he's just an eclectic guy with quirky tastes. It's the perfect thing for youtube because we don't have to penetrate that intimate wall and actually interact with him.

Speevy

Banned
evilromero said:
I don't think he's a misunderstood genius. Rather, he's just an eclectic guy with quirky tastes. It's the perfect thing for youtube because we don't have to penetrate that intimate wall and actually interact with him.

We don't want to. We just love the movie Rainman.

Fireblend

Banned
Woah, at least he could have played some more popular game and make an interesting video, but 500 hours in the same level of Bubsy 3D? Damn.

Also, most of his logic is so fundamentally broken, as he seems to focus only in one specific thing at a time, so he has no wider view, it's pretty evident in his rants, and even though he over-analyses everything, he still isn't as rational as someone would be, his imaginary friends and exaggerated fears being more than enough proof... I wonder if it is indeed asperger or just a really bad case of bad parenting (well, it could be both).

He did learn to program tho, and I guess that in his solitary bubble he's playing a perfect game, so good for him.

Fireblend said:
Woah, at least he could have played some more popular game and make an interesting video, but 500 hours in the same level of Bubsy 3D? Damn.

Also, most of his logic is so fundamentally broken, as he seems to focus only in one specific thing at a time, so he has no wider view, it's pretty evident in his rants, and even though he over-analyses everything, he still isn't as rational as someone would be, his imaginary friends and exaggerated fears being more than enough proof... I wonder if it is indeed asperger or just a really bad case of bad parenting (well, it could be both).

He did learn to program tho, and I guess that in his solitary bubble he's playing a perfect game, so good for him.
Actually, I find it more interesting that he plays these shitty games. We've all played the AAA games to death, so what would be the fun in that?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
border said:
Looking over his website, I'm not sure why people seem to think this guy is Good Will Hunting or whatever. He just strikes me as an obsessive basement case.....which is not so uncommon if you are used to dealing with dorky communities.

See, that has always been my view on this guy. I don't know why people are making him out to be some genius. Seems like he just arbitrarily throws out numbers and percentages for mundane things. I mean reading his website, it sounds like he started taking special classes because of his condition in high school. But I'm guessing the teachers picked him out of the general population before that.

And his insights into games really aren't that amazing. The rest of us have jobs, school, relationships, and friends to take up the rest of our time. This guy doesn't have any of that. He sits in his room obsessing over video games. I'm not trying to bag on the guy or anything, but what else is he going to do? Read up on some of his reasonings for not going to college. He doesn't really have much of an understanding on how the world even works. Or his job skill level thing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This guy is a joke, he is pretending he is crazy.

blueben

This guy is incredible!

I'm inviting him to Christmas dinner. Although I don't expect he'll be able to make it, what with his busy schedule and all.

His voice does rock though. Perfect for narrating game vids. :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
The papertowel for soaking up grease does help immensely. Reader's Digest said it can remove up to 100 calories per slice. So an 8 slice pizza loses 800 calories, out of like 2500 or so.

Odrion

Banned
So this is what Aspergers actually is like.

I mean, it has to make sense. Look at his mannerisms and his odd obsessions. Look at the comment in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVLJVYluwg

"New record! XD"
"New record? For what? Fastest speed of movement (I've been to 4000, and I have a video here showing 2400, almost 4 times faster than this, all going straight up))? Shortest time for this level? Could you explain?"

That's totally "the inability to pick up social expressions such as sarcasm" sign of Aspergers. Makes you self-diagnosed dudes look like sissies.

evilromero said:
Actually, I find it more interesting that he plays these shitty games. We've all played the AAA games to death, so what would be the fun in that?

What is most impressive is that he probably gets more playtime and enjoyment out of these crappy games than any of us would get out of great games....cause 500 hours of one level in Bubsy 3D....is simply unreal.

Speevy said:
Maybe he's a math whiz or someone who can program software really well.

Just because someone doesn't carry on an elegant conversation doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

I don't think carrying a conversation is necessarily a means of showing intelligence either. He's just put in a lot of time doing the same shit over and over and that's what made him an expert at it but very poor at everything else. Not enough life XP.

Squeak

His voice reminds me of those beat-poets or Hunter S. Thompson or David *****.
He has that relaxed cool about him that is so soothing without being boring.

I must admit that part of me is jealous of the mental stamina he has. He was able to put in over 500 hours into a single level and I couldn’t even make it through this 7 page gaf thread in one sitting

I hope he gives SotC the Spyro 2 treatment. Thats the only game I ever just "messed around" in and I'd to see what he could do with it

ThomPayne

woah, woah, woah

Interests and Hobbies: astronomy, physics, geology, meteorology, chemistry, numbers, mathematics, computers, video games, the future, travel, dreams, C programming, 2D game design, making realistic and complex animated GIFs, high speed motion

YES

XSX

Man I wish I could do that mind game thing, Play A game anywhere in the world just by closing your eyes......

4.2.7 Treasure hunting

While I was between rides, I scanned the ground looking for any treasures. Sometimes it could've been a pingpong ball gone astray from one of the barker stands or, most commonly, a hook used to hang the prize items. I very often went after these things and returned them to the barker stands they were near. I mainly did this between rides. Sometimes I found coins lying on the ground, usually pennies and once even a quarter and some dimes. I recall one case where someone, literally, was throwing pennies on the floor. I dashed for them quickly and got them. I made close to 70¢ throughout the two years I went from just treasures lying around. You never know what you'll find.

big pimpin'

Top Bottom