• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 test subjects emerge from their simulated 520-day flight to Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Russians locked 6 civilians up to see if astronauts would kill each other on the way to Mars, giving them canned food to eat and e-book readers to pas the time. I wonder what the Chinese government gave their researcher (lol).

MOSCOW — Pale but smiling, an international crew of researchers on Friday walked out of a set of windowless modules after a grueling 520-day simulation of a flight to Mars.

The all-male crew of three Russians, a Frenchman, an Italian-Colombian and a Chinese citizen slowly emerged from the western Moscow facility, which simulated the confinement, stress and fatigue of interplanetary travel — minus the weightlessness.

Dressed in blue track suits emblazoned with the mission emblem, they carefully walked down a metal ladder to a greeting crowd of officials and journalists.

"The crew has completed the experiment," team leader Alexey Sitev reported to Russian space officials. "The mission is accomplished, the crew is in good health and is ready for new missions."

Psychologists said long confinement put the team members under stress as they grew increasingly tired of each other's company. They said that psychological conditions can even be more challenging on a mock mission than a real flight because the crew won't experience any of the euphoria or dangers of actual space travel.

The crew showed signs of fatigue but no signs of stress as they walked to microphones to speak before cameras. "We hope that we can help in designing the future missions to Mars," Frenchman Romain Charles said with a smile.

What advice would he give real Marsonauts to survive the monotony? "Always stay busy," Charles said, and "don't forget your e-book reader!"

His Italian-Colombian crewmate Diego Urbina said the crew felt proud to achieve the longest-ever imitation of space flight, so that "humankind can one day greet a new dawn on the surface of distant but reachable planet."

During the $15 million experiment, the crew communicated with the organizers and their families via the Internet, which was delayed and occasionally disrupted to imitate the effects of space travel. They ate canned food similar to that offered on the International Space Station.

Each crew member will be paid about $100,000 — except for the Chinese researcher, whose reward hasn't been revealed by Chinese officials.

The six members of the Mars500 simulation crew face the cameras outside the hatch of their windowless isolation module. Alexander Smoleyevesky is at the top of the ladder, and the others are (from left) Alexey Sitov, Diego Urbina, Sukhrob Kamolov, Romain Charles and Yue Wang.

The men will spend the next few days undergoing medical checkups. There's a chance that the noise and activity of returning to life outside their metal-walled habitat may come as a shock, organizers of the experiment at Moscow's Institute for Biomedical Problems said.

"Time seems to have flown by since we closed the hatch last year. But how time really felt to the crew we'll soon know. Probably we'll have a very big difference of opinion," said the head of the institute, Igor Ushakov.

A real flight to Mars is decades away because of huge costs and massive technological challenges, particularly the task of creating a compact and relatively lightweight shield that will protect the crew from deadly space radiation.

NASA is aiming for a nearby asteroid around 2025 and then on to Mars in the 2030s.
Vitaly Davydov, a deputy head of the Russian space agency, said the experiment completed Friday will help pave the way for a real Mars mission. He added that it's not expected until the mid-2030s and should be done in close international cooperation.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I had a discussion about this the other day. Seems to be an interesting sort of experiment, but I wonder how useful the data they're getting is. I ask this not to pretend to be a know it all, but honestly curious.

I mean, this can't possibly simulate the stress of being shot into space where even the most minute of miscalculations could send you hurtling slowly into infinity and the bleakest death imaginable, right?

Also, the stress factor would be much different when you know you're about to be the first humans on a different planet, right? Surely, that would help curb a lot of the stress that would be found in the simulation run on Earth where they knew, deep down, that they could just pop the hatch and go grab a burger.

I don't know. Interesting as hell. Wonder if we'll ever see a Mars landing in our lifetimes?

WanderingWind said:
I had a discussion about this the other day. Seems to be an interesting sort of experiment, but I wonder how useful the data they're getting is. I ask this not to pretend to be a know it all, but honestly curious.

I mean, this can't possibly simulate the stress of being shot into space where even the most minute of miscalculations could send you hurtling slowly into infinity and the bleakest death imaginable, right?

Also, the stress factor would be much different when you know you're about to be the first humans on a different planet, right? Surely, that would help curb a lot of the stress that would be found in the simulation run on Earth where they knew, deep down, that they could just pop the hatch and go grab a burger.

I don't know. Interesting as hell. Wonder if we'll ever see a Mars landing in our lifetimes?

Thats what I was thinking and they mention that in the article. Seems only useful in that you learn how 6 strangers deal with long term isolation. Were these guys researchers or scientists? I imagine they would have different responses and different more if this were done on a real flight to Mars.

How much bro-sex?

There was a gloryhole cut into the aft section of the ship.

WanderingWind said:

I'm curious as well because this sounds very similar to just solitary confinement. The crew knew they were not in space, not in harms way or hundreds of millions of kilometres away from home; the factors needed to determine the results of this experiment were completely ignored.

Snaku

Banned
So they went through all of that, and they didn't even get the pay off of actually landing on Mars? Sounds more like a sexless marriage simulation.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
100,000 dollars sounds too little for something like this. :/

What about the other 520 days for the trip back home?

LogicStep

E-Books? That's it? They better give me that plus a computer with a full library of games and a shit ton of movies and tv series.

Wonder how long until we get to Mars.

Salmonax

Snaku said:
So they went through all of that, and they didn't even get the pay off of actually landing on Mars? Sounds more like a sexless marriage simulation.
In other words, a marriage simulation.

rimshot.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
$100,000 for nearly two years of "isolation." Not sure that's a worthwhile payoff.

R2D4

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
Each crew member will be paid about $100,000 — except for the Chinese researcher, whose reward hasn't been revealed by Chinese officials.

Burn. He probably has to be back to work monday 8am.

Goldrusher

zazrx said:
E-Books? That's it? They better give me that plus a computer with a full library of games and a shit ton of movies and tv series.
Computers probably consume too much power.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Let's see them simulate knowing you're on a one way trip, one that you'll never return from.

Oozer3993

zazrx said:

Wonder how long until we get to Mars.

They did get more than that. There are pictures of them playing Guitar Hero.

Regulus Tera said:

The 520 days was a simulated round trip. They spent a couple days pretending to explore the Martian surface earlier this year.

HeySeuss

Regulus Tera said:

My local news had a section covering this. Said the 100k ended up being about 8 bucks an hour since it was 24/7

Regulus Tera said:

Dude, I have fuck all to do with my time. I wish they would've contacted me. I probably could have underbid the chinese guy, anyway.

TheNatural

My Member!
Don't see the point in this, or the trip to Mars, yet, either. Seems like a lot of time without a lot of meaningful results except the PR that we've actually been to Mars. Find a way to make the trip in a matter of a couple months and then go.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Zzoram said:
The Chinese guy probably doesn't even get paid lol.
Probably something far better than that - getting hired by CNSA and a fast track career in to space.

Zzoram

TheNatural said:
Don't see the point in this, or the trip to Mars, yet, either. Seems like a lot of time without a lot of meaningful results except the PR that we've actually been to Mars. Find a way to make the trip in a matter of a couple months and then go.

If we found some ancient alien relics on Mars like in every sci-fi anything ever, you can bet every country would be in a race to get there first just in case there was some advanced technology to scavenge.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So they simulated a one-way flight to Mars. But then imagine having to make your way back, lol.

100K in less than two years? Holy shit. Where can I sign up for the next test flight?

except for the Chinese researcher, whose reward hasn't been revealed by Chinese officials.
This part made me lol. No money for you, bringing glory to mother China is reward enough.

TheDiabolical said:
Brokeback Mountain 2: A Space Odyssey

6.5/10
I lol'd

WillyFive

scar tissue said:
This part made me lol. No money for you, bringing glory to mother China is reward enough.

China successfully completed their first in-orbit docking of two spacecraft not too long ago.

That puts them right up there with the US in the 60's.

The lack of stress was probably helped by knowing that there wasn't an endless fucking vacuum of space waiting outside to kill them at the sign of any fuckup. Some things can't be simulated. The true life & death scenario is one of those things.

Seriously.

He's probably only going to get $1000-$10000. Sucks but that's China.

Dreams-Visions said:
The lack of stress was probably helped by knowing that there wasn't an endless fucking vacuum of space waiting outside to kill them at the sign of any fuckup. Some things can't be simulated. The true life & death scenario is one of those things.

Seriously.
should've told them they were literally on a flight to mars. explain the presence of gravity with artificial microgravity.
would've been so fucking funny when they think they landed on mars and step out - only to see birds flying around.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Still don't understand the taunts over China not paying their citizen for this. Then again I suppose there are ignorant people out there still stuck in the Cold War era.

Willy105 said:
China successfully completed their first in-orbit docking of two spacecraft not too long ago.

That puts them right up there with the US in the 60's.
The kicker is that they did it all with the aeronautical science sanctions placed upon them after 1989. I think there was a moment when the US chucked a stink with the Euro a few years ago about Spain wanting to lift some of those sanctions?

scar tissue said:
should've told them they were literally on a flight to mars. explain the presence of gravity with artificial microgravity.
would've been so fucking funny when they think they landed on mars and step out - only to see birds flying around.
haha.

seriously, I'm not sure how one can think they adequately simulated 6 months of the most hostile environment mankind can hope to enter. I'd buy it if we were talking about a few months...but 6?

I suppose if those chosen were folks who've spent significant time at the international space station, I'd buy it.

Salmonax

Pizza Luigi said:
So three Russians, a Frenchman, an Italian-Colombian and a Chinese citizen are sitting together in a space simulator...
...and the Chinese guy blushed, because he saw the others were dressing.

I don't know why people keep claiming this study wasn't valid. Someone was asking wouldn't they be constantly making sure they didn't mess up calculations and stuff like that? Really? You know how many unmanned ships have been sent to Mars? Most of the calculations are probably done and and parameters are adjusted by the ship's computer.

Slayven

Should have had them in an underwater habitat. Personally I think you would want people that are a bit off for this shit. People that do well without deep human interaction, so recruit a few Gaffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom