• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 test subjects emerge from their simulated 520-day flight to Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Slayven said:
Should have had them in an underwater habitat. Personally I think you would want people that are a bit off for this shit. People that do well without deep human interaction, so recruit a few Gaffers.
Underwater would do it. Or send the "spacecraft" down a coal mine shaft so it's miles under the earth.

SolKane

scar tissue said:
should've told them they were literally on a flight to mars. explain the presence of gravity with artificial microgravity.
would've been so fucking funny when they think they landed on mars and step out - only to see birds flying around.

They could've gone even further and shipped them to Arizona, so when they come out they really think they're on Mars. Of course when they realize they're in Arizona, Mars will sound a whole lot better.

Angry Fork said:
250px-where_is_everybody.jpg
Exactly what I thought of.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, I've got a wife and kids, but if I had the chance to spend 520 days in isolation for $100,000 I'd have to go for it.

I'm sure there are plenty of Gaffers out there who wouldn't find such an imposition on their lives worth $100,000, but where I'm standing that is a pretty life-changing amount. No doubt I'd miss out on a lot of very important events, but that's quite a few years of my income I'd be earning in only a year and a half.

It would certainly be a hard offer to say no to, though I must admit I've always wanted to try a stay in a sensory-deprivation tank. Not the same thing, exactly, but in my experience I handle lengthy isolation pretty well.

I remember some of the scientists and trainers telling me about this study when I did a thirty-five day bedrest study for NASA in Texas. They didn't know how much these volunteers were being compensated though.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
If the craft had enough power to run a PS3 or a good gaming PC, it'd be the perfect opportunity to clear at least a little bit of my backlog!

Parch

MrHicks said:
100 000 + food and drink provided free during that time???
Plus no rent or mortgage, no utility bills, no car expenses. For those who plan it right, zero expenses means that's a damn fine paycheque for less than 2 years. It's not exactly a stressful job either. I'd definately do it, and I'm sure I wouldn't find it that difficult either.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Parch said:
Plus no rent or mortgage, no utility bills, no car expenses. For those who plan it right, zero expenses means that's a damn fine paycheque for less than 2 years. It's not exactly a stressful job either. I'd definately do it, and I'm sure I wouldn't find it that difficult either.
Same.

Enco

zazrx said:
E-Books? That's it? They better give me that plus a computer with a full library of games and a shit ton of movies and tv series.

Wonder how long until we get to Mars.
This.

Give me all the games on Steam, a cache of the internet as it is, all movies after the 90s (that are good) and all tv shows after the 90s (that are good).

Otherwise, no deal for 1000+ days spend reading books.

mcrae

Enco said:
This.

Give me all the games on Steam, a cache of the internet as it is, all movies after the 90s (that are good) and all tv shows after the 90s (that are good).

Otherwise, no deal for 1000+ days spend reading books.

lol, im curious, would you spend any time reading books?

Red

XMonkey said:
I would read so many books. Would probably end up being a good thing in the long run.
I'd love to be able to dedicate a year to just reading. I'd be able to catch up on so much. People talk about having long gaming backlogs, and sure that's a problem, but I can't even express how satisfying it would be to finally clear my reading catalogue.

$100,000k for 520 days is good money. It wouldn't be worth it for me though. 520 days is different than it sounds on paper. I would miss too many things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom