• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

600 free MS Points? is this spam?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I logged in after clicking the link...

What URL was in the email? Not where you ended up but what address was it going to?

Was it still pointing to Xbox.com or somewhere else?

If not, code was fake and you have to change your password

If yes, a douchebag stole your code

Two points:

1) As maddeningly stupid as this incident was, I am also laughing.
2) This is all so fucking ironic I'm surprised a singularity didn't occur here at GAF.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Three points:

1) As maddeningly stupid as this incident was, I am also laughing.
2) This is all so fucking ironic I'm surprised a singularity didn't occur here at GAF.
3) I shall now lick my wounds online in Halo. Gamertag is below should anyone wish to join me.

Oh now you're gonna be FIFA hacked, people know your gamertag!

Whoever it was I'll bet the dude looks like this right now:

smartaleckbaby.jpg

Dipswitch

Oh man - I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. To the OP - I tip my hat to you for taking it so well.

And to the thieving fucker who stole the code - congrats, you're a thieving fucker. You did make for an entertaining thread though, so there is that.

Even those this turned out fine (even if you did not get the points) - please don't enter your details on a site after clicking a link you find in an email again - it is just asking for trouble. I am more shocked at someone doing that so freely (and seemingly not understanding what they have just done) than the losing the points part of this story.

Overdoziz

Banned
Ehm, seems to me like the email linked to a phishing site that looks like Xbox.com. Now they've got you're account information because you 'logged in' on the fake website. The message saying that the code has already been used probably shows up every time. Try entering a random code and see what happens.

Either way, you dead.

TheMan

if you called MS and told them what happened, I doubt they'd have much trouble giving you the points and banning whoever stole them. (assuming this wasn't an elaborate phishing scam.)

Rapstah

So, what you're saying is that all the OP had to do was google the email address and he could have avoided all this?

You can spoof email headers pretty easily for some services. Hotmail is pretty broken in that regard, I got e-mails from @blizzard.com all the time that were from vastly different addresses if you clicked "respond".

Bryan1321

Banned
So OP thinks its getting a suspicious email with free points... posts the code and it turns out the points where legit???

I got this thread right Gaf??

Top Bottom