• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

600 free MS Points? is this spam?

Wazzim

Banned
We have some hardcore professional lurkers around GAF
KuGsj.gif

squidyj

Is this for real? I am 99% convinced OP just gave away his login information to some phisher and there were never any points.

GJS

Ehm, seems to me like the email linked to a phishing site that looks like Xbox.com. Now they've got you're account information because you 'logged in' on the fake website. The message saying that the code has already been used probably shows up every time. Try entering a random code and see what happens.

Either way, you dead.

No. The Xbox site was legit.

We can't say whether the email was legit or not as we don't know what was in the headers and we don't know what the click through links were.

bs000

Ehm, seems to me like the email linked to a phishing site that looks like Xbox.com. Now they've got you're account information because you 'logged in' on the fake website. The message saying that the code has already been used probably shows up every time. Try entering a random code and see what happens.

Either way, you dead.

It says Please enter a valid code. The e-mail address is legit and live.xbox.com is legit so all signs point to this not being some elaborate scam.

squidyj

It says Please enter a valid code. The e-mail address is legit and live.xbox.com is legit so all signs point to this not being some elaborate scam.

I can get it to show all sorts of email addresses without actually having been sent from such. If this is legit why do you need to log in and redeem a code? why can't they just add the points to your account?

Based on what the OP has posted, we have no way of knowing whether the email headers were faked or if the link he clicked took him directly to xbox.com, or through a phishing site and then redirected him to xbox.com.

I am strongly inclined to believe the last option.

Numpt3

From now on when ever I'm browsing gaf I'm going to keep a seperate tab open on the xbox.com redeem code page. lol.

yeoz

This is a good time as any to remind everyone to change their passwords regularly, because you never know when your passwords might be compromised, either through servers being hacked or through entering your passwords into web pages that look legitimate...

Yen

600 points is one of the dashboard rewards* for renewing your account. The site was real.

*the other is 33% off (so it's £26)

Sai

Well, this thread was a good laugh. XD

It's odd how the OP just seemed to disregard all the warnings about phishing, and logging in though. Were those 600 points that appealing, or were you just inebriated or somethin'? o.o

akira28

A wise old man was he.

I'd do it just to get back at a thief, they would probably believe you. But if you truly don't care...*shrug*

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
damn, I feel bad for you OP, here's a 3 month Live code for you.

H8CVT-CMW8Q-TK92R-V8F2W-8X32Q

Now the wise thing would be to PM him this, but I'm guessing we're fishing for extra comedy here.

Top Bottom