• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Guest VR - Releasing 10/19

fart town usa

Gold Member

I know Spiderman 2 is the game of the week but anyone getting 7th Guest VR?

I'm so stoked for this game. I remember looking at the PC Box at Babbages as a child and being so curious and intrigued about the game. It just looked so damn spooky and mysterious. I finally did get to play it when it released on GOG but by that time I had already been made aware of the ending so it wasn't anywhere near as impactful.

This will be the 7th Guest experience I always wanted as a child and I'm curious if the ending is altered at all? Hopefully not but I hope it contains new twists to throw you off.

The original game is known for it's use of FMV, the VR version runs with that concept and introduces volumetric video. Basically full 3D FMV scenes so you can effectively walk around the environment while the ghosts go through their "scenes" and it's full 3D, not a flat image.

Anyone else hyped for this??

I used to love these games. Never finished this one. Never finished any of the them because I was too young and dumb. I remember playing Myst by just clicking on things and hoping something would happen. Played Myst recently and beat it, and was so proud of myself. Looking forward to trying this one again. The production values look great. And I'm always looking for more things to do in VR.

Remember Treasure Quest? I think that was it. Where whoever solved it first got a million dollars? That one was fucking hard. Again, too dumb to play it when it came out.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I used to love these games. Never finished this one. Never finished any of the them because I was too young and dumb. I remember playing Myst by just clicking on things and hoping something would happen. Played Myst recently and beat it, and was so proud of myself. Looking forward to trying this one again. The production values look great. And I'm always looking for more things to do in VR.

Remember Treasure Quest? I think that was it. Where whoever solved it first got a million dollars? That one was fucking hard. Again, too dumb to play it when it came out.
I do remember TQ but that was another one I didn't have access to.

By the time we got a PC the adventure game trend was kind of out the door but I did catch up on most that i could fine online. Abandonware sites back then were great, games weren't even that old but full downloads all the same. 56k modem working overtime. 🔥

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks pretty cool, I might have to check this out. Seems like a good Halloween game, but I'm worried I'll probably know all the puzzles and story beats since I've played the original about a dozen times. Gonna wait for impressions I think.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Quest 3? Or psvr exclusive?
Not exclusive, also on Quest

intbal

Just gonna copy/paste my post from the previous thread about this game:

Well, good luck to all the PSVR players, I guess.

You're going to spend 500 hours staring at this:

AvPPpA6.png

Minsc

Gold Member
This game is going to be such a fun trip down memory lane, really looking forward to it. Curious what the differences are between the platforms, will pick it up after a few impressions from each and decide if the OLED panels matter much and how high-res / high-framerate the PSVR2 runs it.

I have it on my iphone. Also have the old PC disc..and.....I still have the strategy guide.
I can't remember if I have a strategy guide or not. While digging through the closet of old boxed games I ran across many strat guides but did not think to look for the 7th guest.

Edit: Just found the strat guide. Right next to The Return to Zork strat guide.

Last edited:

Crayon

The have got to make some of the puzzles easier....

Anyway this is actually kind of a big month for psvr2 releases. I think vertigo 2 and journey to foundation are coming.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Quest 3 for me. I hope the graphics have a bump compared to Quest 2.

That's a good recent interview. Sounds like Quest 2 is easily the worst, developers are pretty forth coming. Seems like PSVR2/PCVR will look great. I'm sure Quest 3 will as well but can't remember if there's a Q3 version available at launch. Hopefully!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Never played the original.

Puzzles seem fun. Something about a can puzzle?

I will surely ace it.
The puzzles in the first game are brutal.

This one is gonna be dumbed down for sure, developers even confirmed as much.

I expect it to make you think and be fun but the devs were saying they had to take into account that they can't expect people to take notes and stuff while in a headset, and there's also coins to collect that will help you solve puzzles but even those are limited so you can't abuse it.

It's definitely gonna be streamlined but I think it'll have a good balance of being engaging but not overly frustrating. I'm most excited for a Clue type horror/mystery. It's gonna be spooky, developers said they aren't trying to full on scare people because they don't want people to feel rushed while solving puzzles.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
My uncle had it on his pc in the mid 90's and he let me play it. The graphics were so good but I was only 11 or 12 years old, so I didn't get far.

My uncle just passed and seeing this game get a VR release feels like a sign lol. I'm definitely going to play it when my backlog is smaller.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I can't remember if I have a strategy guide or not. While digging through the closet of old boxed games I ran across many strat guides but did not think to look for the 7th guest.

Edit: Just found the strat guide. Right next to The Return to Zork strat guide.
I actually returned my SNES to Toys R Us and went and bough a 486 Packard Bell PC around 1993. Traded in a bunch of SNES games (Link, Contra, Star Wars, Mario.....) and bought The 7th Guest and the Strategy guide. I also bought a few other games like Frogger, Myst, Xcom, Magic Carpet, Descent, Doom in 1994. Also Duke Nukem 3D in 1996. Don't really regret the trade. The early/ mid 90's PC gaming was great. But it did evolve quickly and I wasn't able to upgrade until maybe 1999. Also got an N64 and PS1 in the late 90's so I didn't abandon console gaming (and Dreamcast in 1999).

I actually returned my SNES to Toys R Us and went and bough a 486 Packard Bell PC around 1993. Traded in a bunch of SNES games (Link, Contra, Star Wars, Mario.....) and bought The 7th Guest and the Strategy guide. I also bought a few other games like Frogger, Myst, Xcom, Magic Carpet, Descent, Doom in 1994. Also Duke Nukem 3D in 1996. Don't really regret the trade. The early/ mid 90's PC gaming was great. But it did evolve quickly and I wasn't able to upgrade until maybe 1999. Also got an N64 and PS1 in the late 90's so I didn't abandon console gaming (and Dreamcast in 1999).
I remember the computer we had was unable to play the 7th guest. The video card would only show striped lines across the screen. It was my first time doing an upgrade on a PC. I got to open up the PC and take out the video card and replace it with another. I think it was an S3 something. Then the game worked. Fill rates! Glorious Fill rates.

marjo

Depending on impressions, I might pick this up for PCVR. I love a good puzzle game, though the ones from the original 7Th guest were often too difficult for my feeble mind.

nkarafo

The original game is known for it's use of FMV, the VR version runs with that concept and introduces volumetric video. Basically full 3D FMV scenes so you can effectively walk around the environment while the ghosts go through their "scenes" and it's full 3D, not a flat image.

Wait, what?

I don't get any of this.

How is it possible to roam around freely if the graphics aren't real time 3D?

I must be missing something.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wait, what?

I don't get any of this.

How is it possible to roam around freely if the graphics aren't real time 3D?

I must be missing something.
The graphics and environments are in 3D.

I'm talking about the FMV scenes with ghosts. In the game there are "scenes" that play out, glimpses of the past from people who were invited to the mansion. In the original game these were just flat FMV scenes. In the VR version it's full 3D so you can look at it from any angle, basically like you're interacting with an actual ghost.

It's kind of a "big deal" because it's footage of real actors, it's not videogame graphics for the character models. It's just something that hasn't really been done before in the VR space considering most games stopped using footage of real actors decades ago and it's absolutely what you would want in a VR remake for this game because real actors being in the FMVs of the original game is one of the things that really turned heads.

nkarafo

I'm talking about the FMV scenes with ghosts. In the game there are "scenes" that play out, glimpses of the past from people who were invited to the mansion. In the original game these were just flat FMV scenes. In the VR version it's full 3D so you can look at it from any angle, basically like you're interacting with an actual ghost.

Ok but that also sounds weird to me. How can you look at an object from all angles in real time if it's pre-recorded? Did they record 1 billion possible frames from any possible angle? Surely not so what is this sorcery?

jshackles

Ok but that also sounds weird to me. How can you look at an object from all angles in real time if it's pre-recorded? Did they record 1 billion possible frames from any possible angle? Surely not so what is this sorcery?

They film the live action scenes from multiple angles with full 3D cameras. When the player's perspective in the free roam 3D environment moves to a different angle in the scene, the angle of the video changes. I'm curious to see how well it's done, because ideally you'd have something like 16 different angles in full 3D to make a complete composited full motion 3D video sequence. Any fewer angles than that, and it'll be really jarring (think how Paper Mario looks weird having 2D models in a 3D space).

They have the added benefit here of most of the real time video taking place in small spaces without the actors moving around much. Ghosts pop up, do their dialog, then fade away without really moving about the stage much. This probably made it a lot easier to film and build a composite fully 3D video.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, it's basically the bullet time filming technique from the Matrix films. 360 degrees of cameras in a green screen room and then made into a 3D hologram scene that you can insert into the game.

I posted a link to a interview up above, it's pretty cutting edge stuff what they're doing cause there's really never been a need for a game to incorporate this technique before.

Acting might end up being shit but I think the overall effect is going to be awesome to experience.

nkarafo

Ok, can't say i'm not impressed.

I wonder how much space all these pre-recorded frames/videos will take up.

mitch1971

I remember getting this on phillips cd-I (please don't judge, me), and getting close to the end I had to navigate a maze. I thought bloody hell this is probably going to take a while considering some of the puzzles I'd had to work out. My girlfriend then decided it was the right time to start talking about her day. So, I did the usual man-thing, nod where appropriate, say hmm a few times, look shocked when needed - all the while pressing random buttons on the controller and not even looking at the tv. Few minutes late I was met with 'ah so you finally mastered my maze!'. What?! The power of turning my brain off!

Top Bottom