• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Guest VR - Releasing 10/19

Markio128

I really like it. The visuals are great and I love how the shaft of light from the torch shows how the house used to look (and gives the paintings a spooky edge) - it’s quite impressive. The ghosts look awesome and the acting isn’t too bad either. I’ve only completed the first puzzle room, but I can already tell that I’m going to enjoy this game.

Minsc

Gold Member
My size guess was pretty close! 30GB on Steam and only10GB on Quest (turned out to be 12.3GB).

Now I want headset impressions - how's the mura looking for this on PSVR2? I think a few have it already!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wish quest 3 was cross buy but hey ho.

If someone could please share a referral link to the quest 3 version I'd very much appreciate it and will buy!

Markio128

My size guess was pretty close! 30GB on Steam and only10GB on Quest (turned out to be 12.3GB).

Now I want headset impressions - how's the mura looking for this on PSVR2? I think a few have it already!
I haven’t noticed any visual issues with the PSVR2 version - seems pretty solid to me. I don’t think you can go wrong with any version from what I’ve seen. I’m quite impressed with the amount of detail in the visuals tbh.

The only issue I have atm is a cashier till puzzle that I’m stuck on.

Quest 3 here.
Just finished the Dining Room. Found 2 hint coins but did not need to use them yet.
I like how the floor is all dusty but the lantern makes it look clean.
the download size was almost 13GB. I'm seeing some misaligned textures here and there. But it looks good otherwise.
You can walk around the full motion actors but if you get too close, they disappear.
I'm enjoying it so far.
Took me a bit to realize after solving the first puzzle that I was supposed to move back to start the full motion video around the dining room table. I was standing there like an idiot poking the cake thinking it was another puzzle.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Game looks great, it is a bit washed out but I dunno, the resolution is really good and you're in an old mansion so it seems intentional in a way. Definitely not taking advantage of the OLED though for blacks but from reading the developer interview, I don't think they wanted it to be incredibly dark cause they didn't want the player to feel scared. It's like an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode so far.

When you solve puzzles the room reverts back to its former glory and it doesn't necessarily look washed out anymore, but there's also not much of a reason to stay in the room at that point 😅.

I haven't noticed any blurriness either, not sure if it's 90, 120, or 60 reprojected. Definitely one of the best looking games so far in terms of resolution. It's a 30gig download for PS too.

Last edited:
Bought it on PSVR2 and did a couple of rooms yesterday.
As a fan of the original one it's kinda nice to see a reimagine of the 7th guest.
It looks and sounds familiar but at the same time it isn't. I like the graphics, looks sharp to me. It does look a bit brown/grey but that's because the house is suppose to be covered in dust and spiderwebs.
If you complete a room it returns to color.
Love that they kept the same old musical themes, just reworked them a bit.

I really like the FMV sequences, at last something new in VR. I think they did a good job on those.
Do miss the original voice actor of Stauf but I guess it was time to change.
Can't wait to continue playing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Quest 3 here.
Just finished the Dining Room. Found 2 hint coins but did not need to use them yet.
I like how the floor is all dusty but the lantern makes it look clean.
the download size was almost 13GB. I'm seeing some misaligned textures here and there. But it looks good otherwise.
You can walk around the full motion actors but if you get too close, they disappear.
I'm enjoying it so far.
Took me a bit to realize after solving the first puzzle that I was supposed to move back to start the full motion video around the dining room table. I was standing there like an idiot poking the cake thinking it was another puzzle.

Does this game let you do referral to get 25 percent off? If so I would very much appreciate a referral and I'll buy to give you the £4 credit.

Does this game let you do referral to get 25 percent off? If so I would very much appreciate a referral and I'll buy to give you the £4 credit.
I don't know what this is or how it works. Is it on the email receipt?

Edit -Found a referral link, just need to figure out how to share it.

Edit Edit-This is the link. Good luck

We'll both get $30 in Meta Quest Store credit when you use my referral link to buy a headset. Game on!

https://gcc02.safelinks.protection....9oPap4Src8SfHU77IqnT61K+OzDqmBUiY=&reserved=0

Last edited:
Enjoying this anyway, the FMV actors, it's kinda weird, definitely has some weird aliasing. Kinda reminds me of LA Noire, but full body, and rendering in some weird 3d point cloud.

A bit of VR fun, although I wish I had some more room near my PC, keep reaching out and smashing my hand into something!

Oh wow I forgot about this one, I should check it out. It seems the PSVR2 version is solid, there's anything I need to know before playing?

Surfheart

Got this on PSVR2, I think it looks great. Resolution is decent, nice textures, it does have a low contrast/foggy look, not sure if this is the intent because once you complete all the puzzles in a room all the lights come on, the foggy look disappears and it really looks quite nice.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh wow I forgot about this one, I should check it out. It seems the PSVR2 version is solid, there's anything I need to know before playing?
Just that it's all puzzles and a complete remake of a 1993 PC game.

I've done 5 rooms so far, I'm really digging it. Approaching it in chunks. An earlier puzzle is the one that took the longest, I haven't have much trouble with the others and I lucked into the cashbox type puzzle. Once I realized how it worked I solved it with the next press :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The thing I like most is just how much it feels like an early 90s PC adventure puzzle game. The live actors are great and the music is so damn good. Even sounds like games from back then. They really nailed it as far as I'm concerned. My only issue is that handling objects is kinda shite. It's just weird to me, honestly probably some of the wonkiest feeling object handling I've had in VR. It's whatever though cause it doesn't break anything, just doesn't lend well to the otherwise fantastic production value.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How are the Quest 3 graphics and performance? Thinking of maybe picking this up. Thanks!
I've yet to hear any negatives on visuals or performance for any headsets. Influencers says Quest 3 is nearly on par with PCVR/PSVR2 visual wise. The differences are probably negligible because the game has a slight cartoonish look.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh wow, I knew 7th Guest the adventure game from back in the day so this is actually really impressive. Mixing the 3D environments that were rebuilt from the original pre-rendered backgrounds, and putting live action actors into the scene is a really cool idea that I only ever saw previously in that Blade Runner demo.

Now I'm really tempted to get this for Halloween, lol.

nbkicker

Think ill be either going steam for pc upgraded visuals through link to quest 3 version or just waiting till the upgrade quest 3 version is out before buying

Minsc

Gold Member
It sounds like there's not much difference between them? And a Quest 3 upgrade would tighten that even more? I am meaning to check out a comparison video myself, just haven't gotten to it yet. Definitely grabbing the game soon though, so I'm curious what the different the 20GBs and extra power makes.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It sounds like there's not much difference between them? And a Quest 3 upgrade would tighten that even more? I am meaning to check out a comparison video myself, just haven't gotten to it yet. Definitely grabbing the game soon though, so I'm curious what the different the 20GBs and extra power makes.

HPP: You had mentioned earlier bringing the game to the Quest and the issues when it comes to the video quality being uniform between the various platforms. When playing the Steam VR build of The 7th Guest VR on my high-end gaming PC, I was really impressed with how lushly detailed the Stauf Mansion is. With this in mind, I can’t help but wonder if many concessions had to be made when developing The 7th Guest VR for the Quest hardware.

Jeroen: Yeah, we do have to make some concessions, but they’re all decisions we don’t take lightly. Everything that we have to omit on the Quest is missed, but we consider almost each one individually like, can we keep it? And if so, what’s the cost on the performance side?

But I think the atmosphere on the Quest headset is still really there. It feels great, it plays very smoothly, and it still looks great too. I feel like if you compare them side by side, you know, you’re going to see differences. But while playing on the Quest, you’ll not miss anything, I think. So, that was very important to me that we can get it to performance without the player feeling like there’s something lacking in their experience. And I think we’re still in the process of it, but I’m confident that we’ll land there, and we’ll be achieving that.

So, in addition to that, I think for what’s currently available on the Quest, I think the team did a great job when it comes to making what we currently ended up with possible. It’s it’s Quite impressive to see. I think the visual fidelity is comparatively high for other products you’d see and be able to play on the Quest 2.

HPP: When you talk about these concessions, are we generally considering just fewer assets on screen or lower resolution?

Jeroen: Yeah, there’s a few different things that we do – different tricks. So, we definitely have a lower density of various types of assets. So sometimes you might see things that you could pick up that might not be there anymore on the quest. But nothing essential and certainly not anything that would, you know, have a contributing factor to the backstory or puzzles. Certainly, you’ll not miss anything there. So, nothing crucial. So it’s all just atmospheric things that might be cut on the Quest.

We also do tricks like making the material slightly simpler. On the higher-end platforms, there will be normal map details and reflections on everything. On the Quest, we omit certain of those types of things, but it actually, in some sense, makes it look quite nice as well because it becomes more colorful as a result, slightly cartoony maybe, but it actually almost feels more like the original game in a way, whereas the higher-end platforms get something that’s a little bit more… I don’t know if I can say realistic, but getting slightly closer.

HPP: Less stylized, I guess?

Jeroen: Yeah, I guess the quest feels a little bit more stylized. That would be a good way to put it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Wondering if it's still worth it on Quest 2... I won't be opening our Q3 until Christmas since it's one of the gifts for the kids, but I'm tempted to play it on the old Q2 just to get in the Halloween spirit.

For any talk about PCVR vs Quest 3 etc. The game looks fine, it isn't Half Life Alyx, the assets are fine, and the game is about puzzles. The FMV stuff is played at 30fps anyway. The only reason not to get it on the Meta Store is if you have, or will have other headsets.

DryvBy

Can you play the game while sitting down? I don't have much room. I assume they accounted for that.

Yes. I'm on PSVR2 and you can play any way you want. This is such a terrific conversation too.

hGNBOTR.jpg
R6z1HeY.jpg

Got this on PSVR2, I think it looks great. Resolution is decent, nice textures, it does have a low contrast/foggy look, not sure if this is the intent because once you complete all the puzzles in a room all the lights come on, the foggy look disappears and it really looks quite nice.
Do you or anyone else here know if this is a 90hz or 120hz native game

Knightime_X

The public: where are the games made specifically for VR?

Also the public: why is this VR only?

As somebody once said: You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time
True. But some games like re4 have both.
But I understand budget limitations.

Minsc

Gold Member
I mean they do have this without VR. It's called the CD-Rom edition.

vRv2lKB.jpg

Why would you go back that far when it's been remastered way more recently and plays on almost every device in existence - iOS, Android, Steam/PC, and consoles?

Top Bottom