• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Guest VR - Releasing 10/19

Minsc

Gold Member
They put that version on consoles? I have it on Steam!

I saw Switch and thought more - but just Switch I guess. Still, that's quite a number of devices (when you tally up the number of cellphones and PCs out there), and like everyone owns a Switch by now or a device that emulates it anyway lol.

Do you or anyone else here know if this is a 90hz or 120hz native game
I found my own answer. Looks like it's not reprojection at least, going by this.

Technically, it's solid on PSVR2 with the absence of reprojection and a resolution that seems native, in any case it's clear in the headset. On the other hand, I regret that the colors are so washed out, the images lack contrast to the point where you wonder where the PSVR2's OLED screen has gone.

Minsc

Gold Member
I found my own answer. Looks like it's not reprojection at least, going by this.
Yeah, it seems like the washed out look is intentional, they didn't want to have it be scary like so many other games in VR. At least it sounds like when the puzzles are solved the fog effect goes away and the room appears much more colorful so you can see it better afterwards.

Krathoon

Yeah, it seems like the washed out look is intentional, they didn't want to have it be scary like so many other games in VR. At least it sounds like when the puzzles are solved the fog effect goes away and the room appears much more colorful so you can see it better afterwards.
It is like you are doing an exorcism on the house.

JohnnyPhats

I have a quest 2. Have not decided if I’m gonna jump on the 3 yet or get the Lenovo Go instead lol.

Anyway. Really considering this on steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played through the opening sequence and made it to the dining room. Headaches and motion sickness, my old friends.

Gonna have to build up more of a "VR tolerance" before I try this one again.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Played through the opening sequence and made it to the dining room. Headaches and motion sickness, my old friends.

Gonna have to build up more of a "VR tolerance" before I try this one again.

Don't forget there's a Quest 3 upgrade patch for it due out this coming week, just in case you want to wait for the upgrades! Not sure what they are though, probably just higher res or something, but who knows.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Don't forget there's a Quest 3 upgrade patch for it due out this coming week, just in case you want to wait for the upgrades! Not sure what they are though, probably just higher res or something, but who knows.
That's a good point, I might try it after those drop to see if it helps, but I think it's just a texture resolution bump from what I read.

I'm old though, and my brain just doesn't seem to want to accept VR. Sometimes getting old sucks.

marjo

That's a good point, I might try it after those drop to see if it helps, but I think it's just a texture resolution bump from what I read.

I'm old though, and my brain just doesn't seem to want to accept VR. Sometimes getting old sucks.
Does that game support teleportation for movement and snap turning? If so, enabling those should help immensely.

Finished the Gameroom and the Kitchen tonight.
Gameroom went smoothly but the Kitchen took quite a while to figure out.
Gameroom had a repeat puzzle from the first game.
Kitchen had the dreaded cans puzzle, but it was completely different and much easier puzzle.

Krathoon

Finished the Gameroom and the Kitchen tonight.
Gameroom went smoothly but the Kitchen took quite a while to figure out.
Gameroom had a repeat puzzle from the first game.
Kitchen had the dreaded cans puzzle, but it was completely different and much easier puzzle.
Darn. I thought the puzzles were all new.

Does that game support teleportation for movement and snap turning? If so, enabling those should help immensely.
Yes it does. Without it I nearly fell over the first time I walked backwards. I recommend using blink & teleport for any game you feel sick in. It's horrible otherwise for me.

Krathoon

Yeah. The snap turning is a godsend. I finally got a hang of the controls. You can easily use the stick to move around and snap turning.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Started the game on the PSVR2 tonight, played for about half an hour. Did a few quick puzzles and saw a few of the live action turned 3D scenes.

I think it looks like it should be a very fun puzzle game that doesn't hold your hand. I like that you can explore and find things in the mansion at your own pace, and the VR elements seem to be plentiful and work fairly well. I also like the lantern that shows the past a lot, they did a great job allowing you to see different things in the paintings, even the furniture and objects around the mansion. It's nice and adds depth to the puzzle allowing you to see the past for clues to the present's puzzles.

The main things I noticed I was not so keen on are the grays. If you pause the game with the start button you are presented with this incredible dark, black background with almost HDR bright, vivid colors, it's perfect. But exit the pause menu and back to the game and it's like you lose 40 points off the blacks in the color scale, instead of getting 0-255 or whatever you now are in the 40-255 range. It's too bad.

I wish you could optionally adjust it, it just feels cheap to me. Especially on the PSVR2 with the OLED blacks, everything looking a mild gray at best. Hopefully something changes eventually or they patch it. Or I might just lower the brighness from ~85 to below 50. I already dropped it to under 75% which helped, but I think I need to go more.

Other minor nitpicks, the turning speed doesn't go high enough for my liking, but it's fine, and the audio quality is a bit compressed sounding, but perhaps that's just the best they can do with the source material. Overall I have high hopes it'll be a fun cheesy experience, full of corny FMV and hard puzzles. Perfect and exactly what I wanted, but still some part of me is thinking how much better it would look with a black levels patch.

Last edited:
Other minor nitpicks, the turning speed doesn't go high enough for my liking, but it's fine, and the audio quality is a bit compressed sounding, but perhaps that's just the best they can do with the source material. Overall I have high hopes it'll be a fun cheesy experience, full of corny FMV and hard puzzles. Perfect and exactly what I wanted, but still some part of me is thinking how much better it would look with a black levels patc
yea the blacks are not very black. its probly my only big complaint with the game.
I thought the sounds were decent. The entire game is only about 13GB of data on the quest 3. What is the PSVR download?

Minsc

Gold Member
yea the blacks are not very black. its probly my only big complaint with the game.
I thought the sounds were decent. The entire game is only about 13GB of data on the quest 3. What is the PSVR download?

It's the same as the PC afaik, 30GB. I am sure the sounds are fine on the built in headset speakers (which are really surprisingly good) and regular headphones/earbuds, but I am listening off a high end set of IEMs so the compression in the voice sounds obvious to me. In hindsight, I kind of think it would be a better experience on the Quest 3 headset than the PSVR2, which I initially wondered, as the Quest 3 is more comfortable and I misjudged how important the colors and haptics would be for this game - I don't feel the PSVR2 is doing anything special in that regard.

Crayon

Wow 39gb on PS5? Shit. That sounds like a heftier production than I was expecting.

Oh fuck it I'm buying this.

fart town usa

Gold Member
30gb.

edit- oops, someone already answered. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Crayon

avoiding looking at anything until i get to play it myself. loved the original back in the day, I believe it required a 4X CDROM reader.

other titles that need VR remakes:

Darkseed
Phantasmagoria
Tex Murphy series

It was a 2x. I think that was as fast as they affordably came at the time.

Last edited:
it would be a better experience on the Quest 3 headset than the PSVR2, which I initially wondered, as the Quest 3 is more comfortable
This is a bit off topic, but are saying Quest 3 is more comfortable to you than PSVR2? That’s the first I’ve heard someone say that.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is a bit off topic, but are saying Quest 3 is more comfortable to you than PSVR2? That’s the first I’ve heard someone say that.

Yes, I modded both headset, well not really, The Quest 3 is just with the Elite Battery Strap. And PSVR2 with a comfort mod.

The Quest 3 I can easily wear an entire day, I get no fatigue from it at all. It feels lighter and even after 4 hours I have no marks on my face, and its mixed reality and no sweet spot mean it's really convenient too, easier to take on/off or just use while on.

The PSVR2 is fine as well, I can use it for a few hours now, but it's definitely more restricting, it feels like it leaves a bigger imprint on my face/hair when removing it and it's also wired, so if I need to do something it is a lot more of a process putting it on and off compared to the Quest 3, as the PSVR2 also needs to be positioned just right for the sweet spot.

raduque

I remember the computer we had was unable to play the 7th guest. The video card would only show striped lines across the screen. It was my first time doing an upgrade on a PC. I got to open up the PC and take out the video card and replace it with another. I think it was an S3 something. Then the game worked. Fill rates! Glorious Fill rates.
I played it on a Packard Bell 386 with 4mb (maybe 8?) ram and some cirrus logic graphics chip built in. I recall it running without an issue.

I played it on a Packard Bell 386 with 4mb (maybe 8?) ram and some cirrus logic graphics chip built in. I recall it running without an issue.
The one we had was a 486 66dx2 with 4MB of ram I remember adding another 4MB later on.
I also remember having to use a special program that extended the memory from 640K to have access to all that HUGE 8MB of ram.
The .bat file would load some program that would reorder how the other stuff got loaded like the mouse and sound. If done wrong that 640K would fill up and then could not run the memory extender. I never understood that. Some files would just fill up the ram with wasted space or something.

Finished it last night and really liked it! Good job developers!
But be warned, after you've finished the last puzzle you can't go back to the house to get the collectables you've missed, you have to start over.
A free roaming mode after you've finished the game would be welcome.

Last edited:

Krathoon

It seems like I have to run the game through Steam VR to get sound. Anyone run into that problem?

I ran it separate and I did not get sound.

Also, I ran into a weird performance problem when using my laptop. The ghost videos where stuttering.
I am going to try putting it on the SSD.

The game may need a SSD.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Am still waiting for the Quest 3 update. Devs said it would drop a couple of weeks after launch.

Valonquar

avoiding looking at anything until i get to play it myself. loved the original back in the day, I believe it required a 4X CDROM reader.

other titles that need VR remakes:

Darkseed
Phantasmagoria
Tex Murphy series
Tex Murphy VR, but everyone is still 2.5D video and they use the same actors regardless of age.

Krathoon

I found out something on the Rift S. You have to install the game to a SSD or the ghost videos will studder.

I guess that game streams video right off the hard drive.

They need to list a SSD as a requirement.

Hello ! Quest 3 enhancement upgrade available ! For anyone who was on the fence like me !
Large list of updates here.

Finished it on Halloween night! 10 days of puzzle solving in VR.
I did a room or 2 each night. Big meaty VR adventure.
I needed to use the hint coins twice. Once in the bathroom because I could not do the roach path. And once near the end with a knight and maiden box that I could not get to interact, nothing pushed or slid, I think it was broken, bugged or I was daft.
Congrats to the creators for making a wonderful VR game. Ya did good. Good fun, good atmosphere.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have the Quest 3 version but bought the Steam version just for the improved dynamic lighting and visual upgrades. It‘s a fantastic VR experience on any platform.

Top Bottom