• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Guest VR - Releasing 10/19

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ok, can't say i'm not impressed.

I wonder how much space all these pre-recorded frames/videos will take up.
It's on Quest 2 so they definitely were able to get it compressed enough. Devs are pretty upfront that Quest 2 is missing certain things to get it running well enough but PSVR2, PCVR, and Quest 3 should all look great cause it's basically max settings. Fingers crossed at least! Visuals are hit and miss with PSVR2 games at the moment 😭

fart town usa

Gold Member
I remember getting this on phillips cd-I (please don't judge, me), and getting close to the end I had to navigate a maze. I thought bloody hell this is probably going to take a while considering some of the puzzles I'd had to work out. My girlfriend then decided it was the right time to start talking about her day. So, I did the usual man-thing, nod where appropriate, say hmm a few times, look shocked when needed - all the while pressing random buttons on the controller and not even looking at the tv. Few minutes late I was met with 'ah so you finally mastered my maze!'. What?! The power of turning my brain off!
That is effing hilarious dude 🤣. Picturing you playing this on the CD-I, etc. Girlfriend just jabbering away. How awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's on Quest 2 so they definitely were able to get it compressed enough. Devs are pretty upfront that Quest 2 is missing certain things to get it running well enough but PSVR2, PCVR, and Quest 3 should all look great cause it's basically max settings. Fingers crossed at least! Visuals are hit and miss with PSVR2 games at the moment 😭

Steam VR store lists it at 30GB. I am probably going to get it on the PSVR2 for the OLED and better blacks, but am not 100% sure yet. Curious to see what they get it down to on Quest, maybe like 10GB?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Steam VR store lists it at 30GB. I am probably going to get it on the PSVR2 for the OLED and better blacks, but am not 100% sure yet. Curious to see what they get it down to on Quest, maybe like 10GB?
I'm getting it day 1 so I'll definitely let you know how the visuals are for PSVR2. I mean, I'm sure reviews will dive into that as well, but all the same, day 1 for me regardless 🙌

fart town usa

Gold Member

Glowing review from gamertag.

In terms of visuals he says PCVR, PSVR2 close 2nd, and then Quest 3 but he says they all look great.

Says people can expect 10 hours but of course depends on how good you are with solving puzzles.

Says it's definitely a GOTY contender for him.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

In terms of visuals he says PCVR, PSVR2 close 2nd, and then Quest 3 but he says they all look great.

Says people can expect 10 hours but of course depends on how good you are with solving puzzles.

Quest 3 version looks surprisingly good compared to PSVR and PSVR2

There‘s a Quest 3 live stream for this game just now.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Great to hear! Never played the original, it looks kinda fun. And I'm glad to know PSVR2 is looking great.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Quest 3 version looks surprisingly good compared to PSVR and PSVR2

There‘s a Quest 3 live stream for this game just now.

I'm sure it looks fantastic. Quest 3 seems like it's a beast considering it's a standalone headset. All I hear is praise for the visuals.

Wow, this looks great.

its a pity that the panels aren’t OLED. I would have paid a premium for that.
Weird that the PSVR2 version is more washed out than the Quest. Makes me think the reviewer has his PS5 setting set wrong.
The PSVR2 with it's oled usually has much much better blacks and contrast.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have two worries, so I'll need first hand impressions:

SOO MUCH GRAY... EVERYWHERE. GRAY. GRAY. GRAY.

This means Quest 3 might be better? If there's really no blacks in the game, the weakness of the Quest 3 won't matter - the lack of real blacks. To me the videos of all versions looks washed out, which is probably how it looks in the best case scenario on the Quest 3, so it seems like a good win for Quest 3. The biggest weakness isn't even relevant because there's no blacks to begin with haha.

Then two, the grays mean MURA CITY for PSVR2. Mura everywhere! Ever play Kayak jungle course at the night setting? People think Village is bad at times with mura, but holy shit, Kayak at night is literally impossible to see anything but the mura, like not even exaggerating, literally unplayble. So it makes me worry with how almost every moment of the game I see those similar grays everywhere - will the PSVR2 version be swamped in mura?

At least the first couple negatives in the PSVR2 without Parole review actually seem more like positives to me (familiar puzzles? Great! It's been like 20+ years. Heavy narrative? Cool, sign me up.

fart town usa

Gold Member

This means Quest 3 might be better? If there's really no blacks in the game, the weakness of the Quest 3 won't matter - the lack of real blacks. To me the videos of all versions looks washed out, which is probably how it looks in the best case scenario on the Quest 3, so it seems like a good win for Quest 3. The biggest weakness isn't even relevant because there's no blacks to begin with haha.

Then two, the grays mean MURA CITY for PSVR2. Mura everywhere! Ever play Kayak jungle course at the night setting? People think Village is bad at times with mura, but holy shit, Kayak at night is literally impossible to see anything but the mura, like not even exaggerating, literally unplayble. So it makes me worry with how almost every moment of the game I see those similar grays everywhere - will the PSVR2 version be swamped in mura?

At least the first couple negatives in the PSVR2 without Parole review actually seem more like positives to me (familiar puzzles? Great! It's been like 20+ years. Heavy narrative? Cool, sign me up.
Right. I have great respect for Bryan and am a patreon supporter but some of his review critiques, I'm like WTF are you talking about? Granted, I haven't played the game but all the same, it's a narrative driven puzzle game. My main gripe with reviewers is when they get hung up on something they want to see in a game that isn't there. It's like, I get it, buts it's not there so focus on what's in the game and comment more on that. 🤷

SilentUser

Have you played Synapse? Never spotted a single dot of mura, unlike other games like Kayak. Dunno why, though.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I know nothing about this game but would this be a game you could play with the fam? I.e. take turns inside VR with everyone else outside helping out or is it purely a single player experience? I'd love for some dev to make a VR version of Crystal Maze where the one inside VR can see one thing and those out see something else and you all need to work together to solve the puzzles

StueyDuck

Is this game any good to those who played pancake?

Will it scratch my constant puzzle itch or is it more just a story with light interactive elements (the time thing)

fart town usa

Gold Member
I know nothing about this game but would this be a game you could play with the fam? I.e. take turns inside VR with everyone else outside helping out or is it purely a single player experience? I'd love for some dev to make a VR version of Crystal Maze where the one inside VR can see one thing and those out see something else and you all need to work together to solve the puzzles
It's SP but yea, you absolutely could take turns or just have someone watch the TV and give ideas for puzzles. I'm gonna try that with my wife cause I think she'd get a kick out of the live actors and mystery aspect. In reality she'll probably just roll her eyes and be a hater. 🤷😅

Waltz of the Wizard has a coop mode where the other person uses a dual sense and just plays off the TV, probably like an "assistance" type mode. I haven't played it myself but I've heard good things about it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is this game any good to those who played pancake?

Will it scratch my constant puzzle itch or is it more just a story with light interactive elements (the time thing)
All three reviews I've watched say that they had to use the hint system in the game for help or to outright solve a few puzzles. They all make it sound like there are a ton of puzzles, like 3-5 in each room you explore.

The OG version is dated as balls but it's also an all-time classic. Just watch a bit of a playthrough on YT to get the general vibe and then imagine it remade entirely for VR. Gamertag is a solid VR influencer and he said it's a GOTY for him, he's not a shill either, never heard him say that before.

StueyDuck

All three reviews I've watched say that they had to use the hint system in the game for help or to outright solve a few puzzles. They all make it sound like there are a ton of puzzles, like 3-5 in each room you explore.

The OG version is dated as balls but it's also an all-time classic. Just watch a bit of a playthrough on YT to get the general vibe and then imagine it remade entirely for VR. Gamertag is a solid VR influencer and he said it's a GOTY for him, he's not a shill either, never heard him say that before.
Sounds like it's right up my alley then

Recently finished the wanderer and it also scratched that puzzle itch

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I remember getting this on phillips cd-I (please don't judge, me), and getting close to the end I had to navigate a maze. I thought bloody hell this is probably going to take a while considering some of the puzzles I'd had to work out. My girlfriend then decided it was the right time to start talking about her day. So, I did the usual man-thing, nod where appropriate, say hmm a few times, look shocked when needed - all the while pressing random buttons on the controller and not even looking at the tv. Few minutes late I was met with 'ah so you finally mastered my maze!'. What?! The power of turning my brain off!
You must have fallen asleep outright if you remember Stauf kinda complimenting you, lol.
He is pretty pissed when you solve the maze, as per his usual.

Winter coat… worn for a mixer

:messenger_relieved:
That’s from the sequel, though. The 11th Hour has so many anagrams in it.

KXVXII9X

Keep Talking or Everyone Explodes seems like the game for you

nemiroff

Gold Member
I actually still have the big original gamebox of this game lying around somewhere.

It wasn't exactly a stellar game back then, so I'm surprised to see it back.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I actually still have the big original gamebox of this game lying around somewhere.

Night Trap wasn’t either, but it’s been rereleased and rezzed up.

The VR slant and some less obtuse puzzles could make this a good game.

Minsc

Gold Member

It really wasn't that bad if you enjoyed puzzles - "oh but they're so hard and impossible" Did you play Myst when you were a kid too? I remember finishing 7th Guest, but Myst, fuck. 7th Guest was like a more accessible, relatable (it's basically a soap opera/clue game) version of Myst, with cutscenes. There's your impossible puzzles. And iirc one of the puzzles in 7th guest had a few articles written about for the time how advanced the AI was in it. I think it was maybe a puzzle with pieces absorbing into each other? I haven't replayed it recently so it's been quite a while, but I do think the game had one puzzle that got a bit of notice for its difficulty.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm looking forward to this and have it on my list, but it couldn't be releasing at a worse time.

kizito

The Quest 3 enhanced graphical update will be live in a few weeks, so that you know. Right now it is playing the Q2 version with 30% resolution bump, but there should be soon an update for enhanced effects and textures.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's out now.

I dunno if I should buy the Quest standalone version of PCVR... I hate this choice...
It still says coming soon on the meta quest store. I also have the same dilemma. Steam or Quest.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It really wasn't that bad if you enjoyed puzzles - "oh but they're so hard and impossible" Did you play Myst when you were a kid too? I remember finishing 7th Guest, but Myst, fuck. 7th Guest was like a more accessible, relatable (it's basically a soap opera/clue game) version of Myst, with cutscenes. There's your impossible puzzles. And iirc one of the puzzles in 7th guest had a few articles written about for the time how advanced the AI was in it. I think it was maybe a puzzle with pieces absorbing into each other? I haven't replayed it recently so it's been quite a while, but I do think the game had one puzzle that got a bit of notice for its difficulty.
I played the game around 1999 and that board game puzzle was impossible no matter how many times I tried. Then I looked it up on the internet and apparently, the specs of most PCs had changed so much since the time of the game’s release that it messed with how the puzzle worked and made it literally unwinnable.
Luckily the devs had the foresight to put a clue book in the mansion’s library that would automatically solve any puzzle if consulted three consecutive times.

That's near me. I love the Haunted House at Knoebels. I hasn't really changed in years but was the go to ride. I can see the gaming feeling like that!
That's sick. I go every summer with my family. I hope they never change it. It cracks me up every time. Flying Turns is awesome too.

Markio128

Downloading now on PS5. I just tried Paradise hotel again and nearly dropped my lunch out of my butthole, so I’m hoping this is more to my tastes, i.e., not utterly terrifying 😂

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wow. The tech is very interesting. I'd be interested in learning how they converted this stuff. Very cool.

That's a good interview, they go into the overall process a bit. Sounds like cutting edge stuff that no one has ever really done before.

fart town usa

Gold Member
X3twThL.png

3WMiri5.png

Top Bottom