• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8.4 mil PS4 shippeds during Oct-Dec 2015

Welfare

Oh looks like i'm way late lol.

Well, i said if they will ship 8 million i will eat my PS4", NOT "if they will ship OVER 8 million".

So i was right. They shipped 8.4 million, muhahahahahaha.

Since you can't ship .4 of a console, they shipped 8 million.

Get the plate.

modalife

Banned
I came in to the thread for MAU statistics and I'm disappointed.
/s

However, still impressive numbers. Solid console for sure.

What's a MAU :( Please, someone... I need to know!

Microsoft's Metric for Xbox One Success. Microsoft quit sharing console numbers sold or shipped, instead, they only share Monthy Active Users. Exactly what a Monthly Active User is, Microsoft hasn't really explained, but it is someone with an Xbox Live Gold, Silver, or other Microsoft Accounts (such as Hotmail) that has logged in to it in the last 28 days.

Unknown?

I know sales will slow but I doubt it will be this year, playstations lineup is ridiculous for 2016. Beast mode.

Starting in full force for February! I have Digimon Story and Gravity Rush preordered and intend to get Street Fighter 5. Want Megadimension Neptunia but four games in one month is too much for me to justify. Haha

Thank you all for the explanation :) It was killing me! That's a pretty sad metric to go by, they should just keep comparing their success to the 360 YoY. Aren't they doing well by that metric?

tusken77

ad15WLL.jpg

Damn. PS4 is a (sexy) beast.

ECwALVN.gif

noobie

Banned
Why when Sony one division start doing good a good division start doing poorly. Devices was such a great positive earning unit in recent past for Sony and now suddenly its in negative. And PlayStation division is in black

Why when Sony one division start doing good a good division start doing poorly. Devices was such a great positive earning unit in recent past for Sony and now suddenly its in negative. And PlayStation division is in black

Cell phones sales have dropped for many companies. Wouldn't that explain a drop in devices? Fewer cell phones sold= the need for fewer sensors.

I could be wrong though

Well, i said if they will ship 8 million i will eat my PS4", NOT "if they will ship OVER 8 million".

Obviously you can't really eat a PS4 and I doubt anyone really expect you to. but how above baking a PS4 cake and eating that!

onQ123

"I never said PlayStation 4 I said PS4 I was talking about the 4th Pasta Salad on the menu"

wachie

Oh I am aware timings and stuff would need to be adjusted as well as the interconnects. I just think the ultimate cost savings oer 8 GDDR5 chips and the PCB needed for that would be worth the effort. You could essentially end up with a not much bigger than a Wii PS4 if you wanted to in the last years which would be great for that magical $99 pricepoint they could never reach last gen.
The costs of GDDR5 chips is still quite low as opposed to the stacks+interposer, this curve will most likely be titled in that direction for a good duration this year and probably next year too.

And not to forget the interposer and the underlying issue with it impacting the overall yields is a big big risk. Production run for a premium high end graphics card is very limited compared to the multi-millions of console dies in each quarter.

The driving factor for HBM is the thermal cost-savings, the amount of power saving can be budgeted to the GPU. Sony has no such driving factor. The cost factor like I explained above is not there right now and probably not in the next 2-3 years.
That isn't fact, though. It's an estimate by Zhuge. He doesn't ever bother to distinguish between real data and his own personal guesses.

(This particular guess is probably right, but that sloppy approach in general makes him a poor source.)
It isn't a fact but it's a well corroborated estimate.

Raist

Banned
Not in this case, but as you bring forth Mr Penello, didn't he say something like "I'll need some apologies from Gaf if the PS4 is more successful/ powerful than the XB1" back in '13?
Did he ever come back and talk about some of his own statements of back then? ("Invented DirectX" and the likes)

Both his and Nelson's posting rate significantly decreased shortly after the XB1 launched. For some reason.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That isn't fact, though. It's an estimate by Zhuge. He doesn't ever bother to distinguish between real data and his own personal guesses.

(This particular guess is probably right, but that sloppy approach in general makes him a poor source.)
Yeah people need to stop posting twitter stuff from a banned poster. You're basically circumventing the ban by proxy posting.

Add to that the part where editorialization and guesswork is mixed with actual statements makes it even worse.

At the same time, that same poster has been the source for many a thread OP's without any issues or complaints from the mods.
Not phrased very well by me. I think it is detrimental to fact based discussion to quote that twitter account and I also think it violates the spirit of the terms of this site.

I'm not a mod and if you don't heed my request nothing will happen.

Fat4all

Banned
Yeah people need to stop posting twitter stuff from a banned poster. You're basically circumventing the ban by proxy posting.

At the same time, that same poster has been the source for many a thread OP's without any issues or complaints from the mods.

Xenus

The costs of GDDR5 chips is still quite low as opposed to the stacks+interposer, this curve will most likely be titled in that direction for a good duration this year and probably next year too.

And not to forget the interposer and the underlying issue with it impacting the overall yields is a big big risk. Production run for a premium high end graphics card is very limited compared to the multi-millions of console dies in each quarter.

The driving factor for HBM is the thermal cost-savings, the amount of power saving can be budgeted to the GPU. Sony has no such driving factor. The cost factor like I explained above is not there right now and probably not in the next 2-3 years.

That's fair enough I knew it wouldn't be ready this year or the next for that type of volumes. I guess we'll have to see if they start trending single stacks of HBM2 down towards low end cards in 2 or 3 years to see if it's possible.

jjonez18

Behind the Wii, and ahead of the rest. This is around the time that Wii's Beast Mode went beast mode.

Yeah I knew that much. Was hoping someone had concrete numbers.
Looking at Rex's graph and playing it by eye...

Wii ~ 45m
PS4 - 37.7m
PS2 ~ 30m
PS3 ~ 20m
PS3 > XB1 > 360
360 - 17.7m
Wii U < 10m

Yeah I knew that much. Was hoping someone had concrete numbers.
Looking at Rex's graph and playing it by eye...

Wii ~ 45m
PS4 - 37.7m
PS2 ~ 30m
PS3 ~ 20m
PS3 > XB1 > 360
360 - 17.7m
Wii U < 10m
So looking At this cycle vs last

PS3+X360+Wii = 82.5m (or so)
Vs.
PS4+XB1+WiiU = about 65m

= So we've lost about 17m total across the generations.

Interesting though is that most if not all of the degradation came from Nintendo

PS3+X360 = 37.7m
Vs.
PS4+XB1 = 56m or so

= Gain of about 19m

Wii = 45m
Vs.
WiiU =9m or so

= Lost about 36m

If we're not expanding the pie of console purchasers (meaning we aren't getting new people to buy consoles that didn't buy them last gen...which I don't think there's any evidence to believe we are getting new purchasers) then about half of the 36m lost by Nintendo went to PS4. A coupe million went to XB1. And the rest just stopped buying consoles and left or moved onto mobile or something else entirely

4701hnb.png

Congrats Naughty Dog! Uncharted 4 is going to sell a lot of consoles.

It definitely will, but I'm gonna say a good many of those followers probably already own a PS4.

Wii was ultra amazing in its first years, but then it suddenly stopped. I think PS4 can sell more than that overall.

I think so too. I wish when people post sales graphs, they'd show when Wii and PS2 leveled out, so we could get a better feel of things. I think we're not too far off from when Wii started it's decline (unsurprisingly, it happened in conjunction with the rise of iPhones). I think the success of PSVR will be somewhat of a contributing factor if PS4 blasts past Wii.

Top Bottom