• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play Podcast (Mark MacDonald x John Ricciardi x Hiroko Minamoto x sprsk)

I gave this a listen last night and it's really good stuff. There's no doubt I'll listen to future episodes -- all I need is a RSS or iTunes feed to subscribe to.

robor

This is quite possibly the best podcast I've ever heard (maybe bar next generation when it was still around and idle thumbs). Great mix of people, it gelled extremely well imo. Looking forward to future podcasts.

metsallica said:
Huh, really? That was so not what I had in mind...
john tv said:
That's not actually it - I haven't been able to find it anywhere on the net. Starting to wonder if maybe they only ever showed it on the show floor? While try to dig a bit and find out what's up.
Ah, sorry for getting that wrong, I just noticed it was different from the 7+ minute one and was marked as coming from TGS. I should probably play SC4 so I know what people are referring to in the future :p

farnham

Banned
john tv said:
It's biweekly, though it looks like we *may* run the second ep this coming week before we jump into our regular biweekly schedule. I'll keep you posted. If not, it'll go up the week of 9/27. Potential guests in this second episode have initials such as "SB" and "RP", so I think (I hope) you guys will like it. :)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback - please keep 'em comin'! We really appreciate it.
shane bettenhausen and ryan paton confirmed ?

anyway is there a way that you could get Satoshi Tajiri (Pokemon is being released and all) ?

StuBurns

Banned
Ryan Payton would certainly be cool, assuming he could speak kind of frankly about his tenure at Koji-Pro. I imagine he certainly won't be discussing anything 343 is up to.

StuBurns

Banned
I remember him saying on Payton's show that his Japanese wasn't great, but that was a few years ago, and it could have been a joke. I'm not sure what exactly his role is at 8-4, but presumably speaking Japanese would be important considering what they do.

Y2Kev said:
I would like to hear on the show your opinions on the "japanese development is in trouble/falling behind/struggling" commentary we hear very often from the Western media. You're in Japan and you all appreciate Japanese games. What do you think?
i heartily second this. if anything, after TGS i'm more excited about whats coming from japan than i have been in years. all this "lol japan sucks now" talk leaves me scratching my head.

also, since the podcast is 8-4-Play, the closer phrase should clearly be something along the lines of:

"this was 8-4-Play and you've just been played with."
"thanks for listening to 8-4-Play, we've just reached climax."

or any other suitably lame sexual innuendo.

john tv said:
That's not actually it - I haven't been able to find it anywhere on the net. Starting to wonder if maybe they only ever showed it on the show floor? While try to dig a bit and find out what's up.
Mark made it up, didn't he...

Great first ep!

PS: CyberConnect's Naruto games? Awful. Amazing visually, though! Ubisoft made the good ones.

metsallica said:
Mark made it up, didn't he...

Great first ep!

PS: CyberConnect's Naruto games? Awful. Amazing visually, though! Ubisoft made the good ones.
I say this as the person that made the thread here for Ubi's first Naruto game: They are absolutely awful and Ubisoft should be embarrassed to have released them, especially the second one.

john tv said:
I talked to someone at KojiPro - it definitely exists, but whether it's online is still up for debate. Will keep digging!
Can't wait to see it.
ShockingAlberto said:
I say this as the person that made the thread here for Ubi's first Naruto game: They are absolutely awful and Ubisoft should be embarrassed to have released them, especially the second one.
Call them what you will, they're still better than anything CC has done with Naruto.

The first was one of my favorite 360 games the year it came out. The second wasn't as big a step as it should've been, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Sorry you didn't!

The second one didn't even remodel Shikamaru for his rage mode

He literally turned in to his model from the first game!

I mean, how lazy can a developer seriously be?

Hah, very true, but more a side-effect of a brutal Ubisoft production cycle. They turned that game around in the blink of an eye, and the fact that it even worked at all (and was mostly fun) was pretty amazing. I'd love to see them get a crack at the Shippuden era, but I guess that's not going to happen.

john tv

OK, Mark and I weren't hallucinating - the trailer exists! Confirmed by David Cox himself on Twitter:

@CastlevaniaLOS said:
@johntv - It will be released soon probably this week. It's a gameplay trailer and the English version will be narrated by Jason Isaacs.

charlequin said:
I'm probably the only one who would be interested if you guys just spent your hour every single time talking exclusively about the minutiae of your localization decisions in the games you've worked on. :lol
I'd love it too.
Congrats to the 8-4 crew on finally getting the podcast up, been a long time coming.

Suzzopher

That was awesome! Cheers guys:D

On the next episode, could you cough twice at the beginning John, if you are working on the translation for White Knight Chronicles 2? You did a great job on localising the first game.

Great show, I'm loving the combination of personality, topic, and uncommon perspective.

I think i would like a little more "gaijin experience in tokyo" though, looking forward to next cast

Jack Random said:
Great show, I'm loving the combination of personality, topic, and uncommon perspective.

I think i would like a little more "gaijin experience in tokyo" though, looking forward to next cast

yeah, i would love that too

john tv said:
OK, Mark and I weren't hallucinating - the trailer exists! Confirmed by David Cox himself on Twitter:
Epic! Thanks!

Also, I think we've been too safe with our potential podcast guests. Let's reach for the stars! I will not be happy until you guys get Fumito Ueda on! Let's make it happen!

I vote Suda51 too.

Love the new Show, John.
Btw, I hope you guys are working on the localization of The last Story. I definetly want the game to come stateside. What's your current project?

Chairhome

I loved the podcast! Sad that it will only be bi-weekly for now. Funny guys, and I don't feel like I had already heard about half the stuff on it already, like some podcasts.

madmook said:
On an iPod Touch, is there any way to save the file from a mp3 link?

What I do is I download the file, then go iTunes and add the file to my iTunes library, and then add it to my iTouch that way.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Since Kat Bailey is apparently in Japan for a few weeks, you should get her into the podcast to discuss an overall analysis of this generation's JRPGs.

Also, if you guys can get Jeremy Blaustein (IIRC he's living in Japan, but I might be wrong on this) into the mic, that'd be so great.

LiK

Shit, not sure what i'll think of this show without Garnett in future episodes. Such great chemistry.

btw Garnett, Aya is a pretty boring character. The only reason she's popular is because of her chara design.

anaron

LiK said:
Shit, not sure what i'll think of this show without Garnett in future episodes. Such great chemistry.

btw Garnett, Aya is a pretty boring character. The only reason she's popular is because of her chara design.
You're boring.

Great first episode! :) +1 for more localization talk.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just to echo everyone else, great first show.

Any chance of getting Yoko Taro/Trao Yokoo (seen so many variant romanizations I'm kinda lost at this point) Nier/Drakengard director on?

Seems like quite a character judging from translated interviews I've read, and of course his games' strangeness speaks for itself :D

Huge props for the excellence of the localization on Nier btw, (and yes it remains my GOTY thus far doubters) and good luck with the show.

NewFresh

Subscibed!
Loved the first episode. You guys mentioned the idea of segments, now it might just be me but I would love to hear about the Japanese gaming scene. Not just the games that they play but the culture around it; things like stores, gatherings, food, etc....

novery said:
He's got more pressing matters to take care of (i.e. finally playing Dead Space)!
Damn right.

It'll be nice to hear you on a podcast again, sir. Eyestone's holding it down over at KojiPro, but it has never been the same.

Top Bottom