• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's Overdrive announced for 3DS eShop - Out Run inspired

Moraizen

Really hoping for something special with this one, but I will reserve my opinion for when I see some footage.
Plenty of hype from the screenshots, no doubt, but so was Red Steel...

I will be praying to the Ferrari gods that this turns out great, good luck devs!

I want to see it in motion, but those screens are beautiful and this one is right up there on my most wanted list.

I really want to play it, and can't wait to find out when it's going to be released.

Gorgeous looking game.

Relaxt

Neo Member
Day one purchase for me. Love Outrun and love the look of this. Hope they can get Timecop1983 to do the music.

Looking cool as usual. I really hope this has good course design and enough difference between car driving styles to make this more than a synthwave-toting wannabe Top Gear/OutRun.

Raitaro

Glad to see someone managed to make a thread for this game. Some of us had been discussing it and gushing over its art in other threads, but apparently no-one had time to make the actual thread for it (including me, I admit). I have a feeling that this game could be a dream game for many of us old school Sega and Taito sprite scaler racing games like Outrun and Chase HQ - both of which the devs list as inspirations.

My biggest concern initially with this game, as someone looking for a new Outrun mainly, had been that there possibly could be too many other gameplay mechanics / systems at play to distract from the pleasure of just driving from checkpoint to checkpoint (preferably with branching paths, which unless I missed it might not be in this game?). Going by that interview on page 1 however, it seems that they are offering two distinct modes, one with cops, car upgrades etc and one with just driving against time ala Outrun, which pleases me greatly (especially if there end up being branching paths after all).

Let's hope the gameplay turns out great as well, not just the art, and that it releases in the Autumn of this year like the devs seemed to be aiming for going by their twitter. The world still needs more indie games like these, with 16-bit or even full on arcade level sprite art!

By the way: have any of you played the previous game some of them worked on, the e-shop game Hazumi? I've always liked its art but have not tried it still.

gelf

This certainly looks great from what I can see. need to see it in motion now.

This feature sounds interesting:
Players can race on their own tracks. Tracks will be made by editing their parameters. This would generate the track code which can be shared with other players for example on Miiverse.
It sounds exactly like the RECS feature from fellow Outrun clone Lotus 3 which I had a lot of fun with:

recs.png

By the way: have any of you played the previous game some of them worked on, the e-shop game Hazumi? I've always liked its art but have not tried it still.

I have, was pretty interested to find that the same guys made it. Hazumi is a neat little twist on Arkanoid. Same basic goal, destroy all the blocks, but the game gives you different map layouts and different wrinkles in the formula.

BDGAME

I only learn about this game cause that pixel art thread.

That is a kind of game that I want to play, even more in 3D.

Will buy for sure!

Dunno, the gifs show the car acting worse than in those old 80's racers. In those games the car didn't rotate all the way to the side for quick adjustments. And that also makes me think it may not support analogue controls. Hopefully the music is good, the fact that they've been avoiding revealing any is a bad sign.

Gagaman

Visually nice but yeah that steering animation looks hilariously over the top. The car doesn't need to turn that much, needs more subtlety. This has the potential to be good but needs some work to prevent it from being 'Out Also-ran', especially considering a perfect version of Outrun is on the 3DS.

I'm genuinely surprised that super-exaggerated turning animation made it in, as it clearly looks horrendous, and completely butchers the (already pretty shaky) illusion of this type of faux-3D racing game.

orient

Neo Member
Assuming they're going to add more frames of animation, the car's still turning about 20 degress too far. Looks silly.

Opa-Pa

Oh man OutRun is one of my favorite games ever so I've been extremely hyped for this game, but that turning animation... No...

Assuming they're going to add more frames of animation, the car's still turning about 20 degress too far. Looks silly.
They said they're aware and working on it on Twitter but I wonder if they'll do more than just add frames to it because yeah that doesn't look right at all.

Raitaro

Oh man OutRun is one of my favorite games ever so I've been extremely hyped for this game, but that turning animation... No...

They said they're aware and working on it on Twitter but I wonder if they'll do more than just add frames to it because yeah that doesn't look right at all.

Hmm...came to post the same sentiment unfortunately.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now as the rest of the art does look good, especially the sense of speed created through the scaling effect, but that one niggle does tend to completely turn me off from the game for now I have to admit. Surely they can't leave the turning like this (even with added frames), with such talented artists on their team right?

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Edit: in the mean time (and as a reaction on this thread it seems), the devs have mentioned on Twitter that the car turning is very much work in progress, so I'm sure the final result will look far more natural.

I'm not so concerned about the frames in the turning animation as much as the car pivoting too far in each direction. If that makes sense.

For example the car in Outrun only changes slightly when you turn.

It's not just about turning too far, as someone said above I think a big aspect of it is the point where it's pivoting around.

Not sure if traditionally these cars should pivot from the center, just do a full turnaround of frames, or from the front, or maybe 66% in due to perspective...just anything but pivoting from the back.

Top Bottom