• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A DRIVECLUB update from Evolution Studios - 30fps/1080p, was delayed for dynamic menu

at some point, you have to have little idea on what you are talking about... Sony never developed any driver for Logitech, and PS4 uses completely different OS and needs new drivers for input devices. So Logitech would have to develop new drivers for new OS, for product line they cancelled to cut costs.

so thats unlikely. very.

How exactly can the ds3 controller work with android if no driver was ever developed for it from sony?

How can i get a driver that was intended for windows 98 working in windows 7.

If you think sony is incapable of adapting the drivers currently out there for the OS they developed i seriously doubt you have any idea what you're talking about.

The question is if they will not if they can.

How exactly can the ds3 controller work with android if no driver was ever developed for it from sony?

How can i get a driver that was intended for windows 98 working in windows 7.

If you think sony is incapable of adapting the drivers currently out there for the OS they developed i seriously doubt you have any idea what you're talking about.

The question is if they will not if they can.

Sony made DS3 and DS4 to support standard commands to work with Standard drivers across platforms but Logitech doesn't do that for these wheels. They have their own drivers for PC/other platforms because their hardware is custom made and it will accept only their commands.

Loofy

For the love of god, there's a real reason why Driveclub is 30 FPS and Mario Kart is 60.

Developers are given a performance budget with any given console and decide their personal ratio for performance/speed/visuals. If Driveclub and Mario Kart were both on the same hardware and had the same visual fidelity then maybe there'd be some value to this kind of comparison, but people need to stop making the flat argument that 60 FPS is something any and every game can achieve, regardless of what other factors the game and its developers hope to accomplish.

There's a reason WipeOut HD ran at 60 and GTAV didn't on the PS3.
Just saying 150cc karts go like 80mph, maybe 120mph when you have a star. Cars in driveclub go like 200mph+ so framerate would be a little more important for that game...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There are a lot of people in this thread that haven't bought many racing games on consoles. Good to have your principles I guess, but you've missed a ton of great games.

viveks86

There are a lot of people in this thread that haven't bought many racing games on consoles. Good to have your principles I guess, but you've missed a ton of great games.

Nah. According to them, they aren't great games anyway. Strange, but true.

nkarafo

There's a reason WipeOut HD ran at 60 and GTAV didn't on the PS3.
Of course. Wipeout is a racing game where control and sense of speed are important. GTA is a sandbox game where (even though it features racing) scope, size and detail are more important as you explore a lot and do lots of sightseeing. Thus, putting as much detail at an "acceptable" frame rate makes more sense.

Wipeout would be a much worse game if it run at 30fps. GTA would be better at 60 (that's why i'm going to double dip for the PC version) but its not a much worse game at its default frame rate anyway (assuming it didn't go below 30fps and as low as 20).

Driveclub is a racing game. Sense of speed and responsive controls are more important. And even if you only care about graphics, looking at the backgrounds and doing sightseeing in a racing game is only interesting for the first few times you race a new track. And even then you will lose much of the visual information because when backgrounds zip at high speeds at 30fps, they become a stuttering, blurry mess. At 60fps you will be able to get much more visual information from all the backgrounds as they pass at high speeds without stuttering.

If you like to park the car at the side every few seconds to check the slightly more detailed backgrounds 30 fps provide, then i guess it makes more sense in this case. But how many people play racing games to do that?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
There is not nearly enough rage in this thread over the confirmed 30fps.

Shit like this is why developers don't give a fuck about framerate.

Who cares about smooth gamplay, everyone is talking about social media, so let's focus on that.

bombshell

Who cares about smooth gamplay, everyone is talking about social media, so let's focus on that.

There's another thread for the 30 fps confirmation and there's definitely more heated discussion in there than in this thread :)

nkarafo

My favorite racing game of last gen was 30fps.
It probably was as there weren't many 60fps ones. I can only count 3 or 4 on 360 (excluding the XBLA retro ports like Daytona).

They said 'rock solid' 30fps which is good news.
IMO it would be great news for a PS1/N64 game. On DC/PS2/Gamecube/XBOX most racing games were "rock solid" 60. Feeling happy for a racing game that runs at steady 30fps on the PS4, a decade after people were enjoying 60fps racing games, sounds like a pretty low standard to me.

slapnuts

I'm completely OK with 30fps.

PGR is my favorite racing franchise and it always was 30fps. Forza Horizon a couple years back also ran on 30fps and was incredibly fun and good looking.

You guys need to understand that the amount of FPS doesn't determine a game's quality nor fun.

I forgot about PGR and Horizon being a rock solid 30fps and i loved those games to death and they played great..especially the entire PGR series..so maybe my earlier comment about the game not being 60fps upsets me was hasty because i forgot how much fun i had with racers at 30fps. As long as it looks a step ahead of recent racers which it looks like it will ..i'll be ok with 30fps i guess...i just hope its not forcing any of this online community play BS that i really dont get into much...i like the tradional style game play of racers like PGR series,etc...i dont mind racing against ghost cars from other online users though..stuff like that i can get into..but i just want online mode and single player modes to be seperated as they should..not intertwined.

Hydrargyrus

I don't care about social things, so I would prefer that they were delaying it because they wanted to improve the famerate up to 60fps.

This game seems to be too much social-focused and I am a pretty a single-player gamer

demolitio

Really weird to single out the menu as the reason for the delay without showing it since that sounds pretty bad the way he worded it. If he said it was for the usual quality purposes or something like what was written on their FB page and then mention the menu being reworked, it would sound a lot better. Not saying it's not a large task what they're trying to accomplish socially or that's not a worthy reason to delay the game or anything, but I think it just sounds weird stating that as the reason for the delay.

Anyway, can't wait for this even though waiting until October is extremely cruel for a game I thought would be coming out in July at the very latest, but I guess I'll have to hang in there for my racing fix. This could be the closest thing to PGR for me and I was addicted to that series.

I'm just glad I don't write off games if they're 30FPS since I would miss out on a lot of racing games. Sure, 60FPS is nicer, but it's clear they were going for a graphical showstopper and gameplay more like PGR where 30 is fine. It's not unplayable by any means and even if it is something that turns you off from the game, I don't think it's worth the debate in every single DC thread as if it's some shocking news at this point. I find it odd some people expected it to be 60FPS after the delay as if that was the reason for the game vanishing for a while.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There are plenty of real cars that have as much lag as a 30fps video game. (or even significantly more)
Very few people even notice, almost no one really.
No, I'm not talking about torque. I'm talking about actual lag from drive by wire.

demolitio

I just hope this game comes with a photomode ala Infamous:SS.

It's hard to imagine it wouldn't have one after the latest trailer and seeing their environments. The visuals were absolutely insane even zoomed out quite a bit away from the actual track. If it didn't have one, it would be the biggest negative for me in this game so far...lol.

Second Son changed the game in my opinion and for me, I love it since I do a lot of screens in PC games. It's the perfect way to show confidence in your games visuals and have your fans sell the game for you to their friends and the internet in general. I mean, look at how the Second Son photos from here were posted on some pretty big sites for a lot of gamers to see (which reminds me...I'm still baffled how we had some people here say that game was underwhelming graphically...lol).

If it's not in at launch, it better follow similar to how Sucker Punch handled it even though it was shocking for that game. It's not so shocking for a racing game.

Fredrik

It's more like the resolution fanatics, where people simply won't pay for sub-1080p games this gen, but they obviously payed for those games last gen. And now we're talking about not paying for sub-60fps racing games this gen. If the bar is set low at 30fps yet again it would be just like if resolution was 720p yet again. New gen. New standards.
Edit: As for myself, I'm hugely disappointed that the first serious racing game on PS4 runs at 30fps, especially since it's a first party game. The bar is simply set too low, imo. But it's Evolution Studios we're talking about, I'm sure I'll still have tons of fun with it just like I had with Motorstorm, it just won't be the stellar true next gen racing experience I was hoping for.

LCGeek

formerly sane
There are plenty of real cars that have as much lag as a 30fps video game. (or even significantly more)
Very few people even notice, almost no one really.
No, I'm not talking about torque. I'm talking about actual lag from drive by wire.

Not even the same..

Lag is not the same as slow fps so you're totally off on that part as well.

Delayed it for almost a year because of a dynamic menu... Please tell me no one is buying that nonsense.

The exact same thought I had. I guess they figured that excuse sounded better than "we bit off more than we could chew, and the game could barely maintain 30fps with one car on the track".

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not even the same..

Lag is not the same as slow fps so you're totally off on that part as well.

Completely the same. Drive by wire is basically like driving a real car with a PC steering wheel setup.
Minimum possible input lag is directly tied to frame rate. And in practice 30fps games generally have approximately double the input lag of 60fps games.

Metfanant

It's more like the resolution fanatics, where people simply won't pay for sub-1080p games this gen, but they obviously payed for those games last gen. And now we're talking about not paying for sub-60fps racing games this gen. If the bar is set low at 30fps yet again it would be just like if resolution was 720p yet again. New gen. New standards.
Edit: As for myself, I'm hugely disappointed that the first serious racing game on PS4 runs at 30fps, especially since it's a first party game. The bar is simply set too low, imo. But it's Evolution Studios we're talking about, I'm sure I'll still have tons of fun with it just like I had with Motorstorm, it just won't be the stellar true next gen racing experience I was hoping for.
I'd agree with you but I always looked at this game as a halfway house between arcade and sim racers....it's not Gran Turismo or Forza (proper)....but it's a step up from Need For Speed....

Idk how others looked at this game...but because that is the way I've always envisioned it I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the frame rate...

squidyj

there is more than enough rage in this post for the entire thread.

I'm not sure I'll get much out of the social stuff. I don't have many/any friends with a PS4 and my gaming time is so sporadic and random that the only multiplayer I can really do is public. As such, these kinds of focuses don't do much for me.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Completely the same. Drive by wire is basically like driving a real car with a PC steering wheel setup.
Minimum possible input lag is directly tied to frame rate. And in practice 30fps games generally have approximately double the input lag of 60fps games.

Video game lag and it's various forms is not the same as all. One is fixed and something you can easily adjust to the other is quite random and the timing of it can be very short or very long. No they are not the same. Input lag can also be separate from what you're seeing.

The exact same thought I had. I guess they figured that excuse sounded better than "we bit off more than we could chew, and the game could barely maintain 30fps with one car on the track".

wut? If frame rate was honestly the issue, they would have done a Forza and dumped in 2D crowds and other downgrades to get it out for launch.

It's this "vision" they've had about what kind of game they wanted to make, socially connected club-driven racing experience, someone high-up at Sony believes in it so they got extra time.

wut? If frame rate was honestly the issue, they would have done a Forza and dumped in 2D crowds and other downgrades to get it out for launch.

It's this "vision" they've had about what kind of game they wanted to make, socially connected club-driven racing experience, someone high-up at Sony believes in it so they got extra time.

So you think fixing framerates is always as easy as a few visual downgrades? I'd say a one year delay says otherwise, and all hands on reports suggested the game couldn't even maintain a smooth 30fps prior to launch with a single car on the track.

Racing games do not get delayed 11 months because of their UI. A delay if that magnitude suggest there were serious problems in all phases of the project.

True, but the difference between 16.9ms from running at 60fps and 33.8ms is not noticeable unless you switch between the two back and forth. Point is the input lag is still very low and low enough for you not to feel any lag. You definitely notice it's running slower, but not unresponsive.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
True, but the difference between 16.9ms from running at 60fps and 33.8ms is not noticeable unless you switch between the two back and forth. Point is the input lag is still very low and low enough for you not to feel any lag. You definitely notice it's running slower, but not unresponsive.

It might also be worth reminding that average human reaction time (from event until the sensory input is processed to the point that you can start physically reacting) is 300ms. In other words, switching from 60fps to 30fps can cause a maximum of 5% additional delay in your steering.

iMax

It might also be worth reminding that average human reaction time (from event until the sensory input is processed to the point that you can start physically reacting) is 300ms. In other words, switching from 60fps to 30fps can cause a maximum of 5% additional delay in your steering.

But it doesn't look as sexalicious.

So you think fixing framerates is always as easy as a few visual downgrades? I'd say a one year delay says otherwise, and all hands on reports suggested the game couldn't even maintain a smooth 30fps prior to launch with a single car on the track.

Racing games do not get delayed 11 months because of their UI. A delay if that magnitude suggest there were serious problems in all phases of the project.

It's not just a UI it's the ecosystem of the game, you know like the xbox one, it's essentially how the game functions and how it differentiates itself from other games.

frizby

Every time I think I'm in, they pull me back out.

I want a racer on my PS4, but not like this. Somebody do something, please. Burnout Paradise 2? Anyone? Please?

150013b.jpg

nkarafo

But it doesn't look as sexalicious.
Most 60fps racers looks just as sexalicious to me as 30fps ones. Actually, the best looking racing games on each system runs at 60fps. So the whole "30fps racing games have better graphics than 60fps ones" is a big fat lie.

frizby

Tried it, hated it. Barely got through the first half hour of unskippable cutscenes and tutorials.

Doesn't compute. If you loved BP, Rivals has virtually identical driving mechanics and is basically the same devs. Unless the whole cops and robbers bit doesn't appeal to you.

Anyway, looking forward to DC, and have no issues whatsoever with 30fps provided it's steady. I'm not sure I'm the target audience for a purchase, but I'll be all over the free version. Looks stunning.

iMax

Most 60fps racers looks just as sexalicious to me as 30fps ones. Actually, the best looking racing games on each system runs at 60fps. So the whole "30fps racing games have better graphics than 60fps ones" is a big fat lie.

Burnout Paradise is the most sexalicious racing game ever created. There. Come at me, GAF.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
Midnight club 2 will forever be the best racing game.

;)

But its a shame that the game does not have 60 fps. Since we are in a new console generation now, we should also have new gameplay improvement. Just better graphics is shameful.

Top Bottom