• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A guy drowns an ants colony with hot aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could actually be seen as a social experiment. The framing of the thread title was that the ants would be drowning in molten metal, which obviously creates a particular mindset for people. Some of whom might empathize with that image of suffering or who might see this as some kind of waste of valuable life, or the whole would Buddha kill the mosquito or the fire ant, or whatever. And so you have basically a surprising amount of people posting negatively about this, perhaps viscerally imagining the pain and confusion instead of instant vaporization.

It makes you wonder what other possible thread titles would have mitigated the responses or even gotten the opposite response.

Yeah, if it was titled "Artist uses ant colony as mold for aluminum structure" I'd imagine it would have different responses.

Mully

Because protracted trolling is such a noble contribution to the community.

It kind of is. Look at all of the "greatest threads," threads and you'll realize that trolling is a major part of the community. Having said that, I had no idea it was going to get that far, including a cross post in the NHL thread.

It could actually be seen as a social experiment. The framing of the thread title was that the ants would be drowning in molten metal, which obviously creates a particular mindset for people. Some of whom might empathize with that image of suffering or who might see this as some kind of waste of valuable life, or the whole would Buddha kill the mosquito or the fire ant, or whatever. And so you have basically a surprising amount of people posting negatively about this, perhaps viscerally imagining the pain and confusion instead of instant vaporization.

It makes you wonder what other possible thread titles would have mitigated the responses or even gotten the opposite response.

Pretty thoughtful posts... what was your undergraduate degree in?

Toxi

Banned
Slightly concerning that this thread has more heartbreak and outrage than this one.

Interesting, though. Not a criticism, just an observation.
It's because there's push-back in this thread and not that much in the other thread.

People are more likely to respond to a thread with an argument than a thread where most posters say the same thing.

Gaffers are attracted to controversy like flies to a corpse.

Kinyou

Ok, now imagine this.

You take a dead body and pour the hot aluminum through the mouth. You wait until it's solid and then carve it out of the body. Voila, the digestive tract

Some crazy guy like Gunter von Hagens would probably do it

Toxi

Banned
Ok, now imagine this.

You take a dead body and pour the hot aluminum through the mouth. You wait until it's solid and then carve it out of the body. Voila, the digestive tract

Wouldn't it burn through the tissue surrounding the digestive tract?

This thread has more than three times the amount of posts of people complaining about ant murdering than the thread about a US drone killing 15 innocent civilians in Yemen.

Nice attempt to use a tragedy to insinuate people care more about ants than humans, but the only reason more people are posting here is that the morality of the act is actually being debated. No gaffer is going to defend killing innocent civilians. People are more inclined to speak out on an issue when the ones on the opposing side of said issue are actually hearing them.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Ok, now imagine this.

Have you seen those Body exhibits? they do something similar with blood vessels.

edit: whew, image is bigger than I expected...

bloodvessels-hand1.jpg

Ok, now imagine this.

If an artist had permission of the deceased, written and in person, I would have no issue with that. Doesn't sound "crazy."

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Not so much art as "art," if he was doing it for scientific purposes instead of to have some white metal piece of crap to sell to some moron I'd be happier about it. At the end of the day though, killing one ant colony is not the end of the world, I don't see what the big deal for some people is.

Man that is a really compact colony. I thought they would stretch out further than that.

I was surprised too, I expected it to be deeper as well.

Geeze, I used to get lost just walking around my university sometimes. If I was an ant and had to live in that I'd be lost forever trying to reach the top.

Also, fuck fire ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom