• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A "Map" of the Stephen King Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://horrorfilms101.blogspot.com/2013/05/artwork-map-of-stephen-kings-universe.html

A couple years back, I made a graphic depiction of all the connections in Stephen King's books. Since then, I've learned of more connections, so I decided to rework and revise the "map" of King's universe.

Stephen+King+Map+of+Book+Connections.jpg

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/09/check-out-this-map-of-the-stephen-king-universe

So, obviously, my first instinct - both as a nerd and an average internet user - was to try and poke holes in James' hard work...but for the most part, I think he's done a damn fine job. The only quibble I might mention is the lack of a notation connection the Low Men to From A Buick 8 (if I recall, 'twas a Low Man who abandoned the Buick 8 in the first place), but James does include a Todash connection for that book, as well as a direct line connecting the alternate reality of Rose Madder to The Dark Tower's Mid-World, both of which are connections I probably would'nt have thought to include. I'm impressed!

Oh, and speaking of The Dark Tower, here's a set of notations specifically intended for Tower junkies:

1. The thirteen colors used reference the "Bends of the Rainbow," a set of thirteen crystal balls important to the Dark Tower universe. The "wheel" chart style and the numbers should also have significance to Tower fans.
2. The locations (Derry, Castle Rock, 'salem's Lot, and Mid-World) are included only if they're present in a story; being mentioned is not enough.
3. Being mentioned is sufficient in the case of characters, as with Flagg in Hearts in Atlantis and the Crimson King in Black House and Hearts in Atlantis.
4. There's some speculation that Tak from Desperation and The Regulators is the Crimson King, but it's more likely that he's simply a todash monster, similar to It/Pennywise.
5. "The Man in the Black Suit" and "Uncle Otto's Truck" are mentioned because they take place within Castle Rock city limits (or where Castle Rock city limits will eventually be).
6. Also, thanks to Stephen King, who managed to create exciting short stories and novels, and then a book series, and then an entire universe, and then a friggin' multiverse.

This is really amazing-I've thought of trying to make something like this in the past, but of course never actually got around to it. There must be more connections too-subtle ones that aren't included here.

EDIT: Also, "The Man in the Black Suit"? My favorite short story ever.

Cool stuff. Huge SK fan here.
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon should be connected to IT, though, as the acknowledgements at the end of the book credit a fake song written by two of the characters from IT (Richie and Bill IIRC), which should count as a character mention. I love the way he does that stuff.

EDIT: Also, "The Man in the Black Suit"? My favorite short story ever.

Yup, that is a killer story. I also like "Bad Little Kid" rather a lot, except for the obvious ending.

Of those I've read The Talisman, Black House, Dreamcatcher and the first Dark Tower book.

All in a two month period over a decade ago from my local library.

Skilletor

The IT connection in 11/22/63 made me so happy

Made me want to read It again...I haven't read it since I was a teen. I'd probably have a new appreciation for it.

Also, I never thought of Pennywise as being a todash monster...that's amazing.

Is there anywhere to read theories like this?

I love Stephen King so damn much.

The biggest question in the SK universe is the
Pennywise Lives
graffiti in Dreamcatcher. I saw SK speak a few months ago and tried to ask, but didn't get called on :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom