• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I always knew the 1080p screen was bullshit (for obvious reasons) but a lot of the stuff he/she were talking about were detailed enough that I always assumed they had seen the hardware. But I never bought into the idea they had clock speeds and some of the more complex stuff you would have needed software to know.

I still don't but it's interesting to say the least.
If they're testing hardware for quality control after putting it together why wouldn't they have clock speeds?

Edit: I don't actually know just asking

It'll be interesting but I don't think there's a great deal to see.

What about the dock?

The dock has no secret tech hidden inside.

The second GPU isn't there.

A piece of plastic with a USB and HDMI connector. Not the most exciting stuff.

Nothing yet. Almost everything we know suggests the dock is nothing more than an interface passthrough to carry the USB signals. The exception being that someone did claim there may be an NFC like chip in the dock that signals to the Switch to output its video as docked mode.

It does not contain the core system so there's not much interesting going on there. For what it does, just assume that it more or less contains a power management chip, HDMI converter, and a USB hub.

I
I presume you're asking with regards to what may or may not necessarily make the unit proprietary?

W...Well there's an extra fan in there. I was just curious to see how exactly it makes it possible for the Switch unit to put out more power.

WadeitOut

W...Well there's an extra fan in there. I was just curious to see how exactly it makes it possible for the Switch unit to put out more power.

The software on the tablet tells it to run at higher clock speeds when outputting video. Not really any secret sauce hardware.

indask8

While not "user replaceable" the battery seem to be easy to service once you get the device open, it's not soldered in, uses a connector.

Nice teardown, I wondered what it looked on the inside.

There probably isn't anything in it that makes it capable of outputting more power. The simple fact of it running on AC instead of battery will allow it to run at normal clock speeds.

Zips

For any faults Nintendo has, or mistakes they make with the Switch, complaints about power and whatnot, it is a stylish device.

Questions of power aside, it looks very well designed.

I always knew the 1080p screen was bullshit (for obvious reasons) but a lot of the stuff he/she were talking about were detailed enough that I always assumed they had seen the hardware. But I never bought into the idea they had clock speeds and some of the more complex stuff you would have needed software to know.

His story seems convincing enough. He saw it running a specific demo with certain clock speeds being read out on the screen. Even if this is all true it doesn't say that these clocks will be available to developers, but what it does potentially indicate is the process node. If all of the cores were running at those clock speeds for 8 days it would be very unlikely to be a 20nm SoC, so 16nm would be essentially confirmed. It's impossible to know this just based on his leak though.

Those are usually support chips, like battery charging, power management, etc.

Gotcha, so nothing interesting haha

What is the battery size and do we know how long it takes to charge?

4310mAh I believe, and I think they said about 3 hours to charge. Which makes sense since this is a huge battery.

Xdrive05

Battery seems to be easily replaceable if you're willing to open it up.

Good news!

Best news to come out of the teardown for me. As a launch buyer who plans to use portable mode extensively, my battery will be diminishing fairly early in the console's life cycle (within 2 years probably if my phone is any indicator). Third party replacements should be common by then.

Portugeezer

Switch can run at faster speeds because dock has extra fan.

I don't see why else it would be more powerful when docked.

Thraktor

Well, there it is.

As expected, everything's very tightly squeezed in there. I'm a little surprised that the cooling fins between the fan and vent take up so little space, but I suppose there's not a whole lot of cooling to be done. The total power output of the chip probably isn't more than 10-12W even in docked mode at full clocks. That J/L-shaped heatpipe should draw heat away from the SoC pretty effectively, though.

It's a bit annoying we don't have higher resolution photos, as the codes on the RAM modules would confirm all the memory specs (i.e. capacity, speed, bus width). We have leaked info on the first two, but it would be nice to get confirmation, and know whether we're looking at a 64 or 128 bit bus.

The use of a break-out board for the eMMC is really interesting. They wouldn't need this if they planned to just swap in higher-capacity eMMC modules at a later point, as the entire point of integrated flash solutions like eMMC is that it's all BGA-compatible (i.e. you can just solder on a higher capacity eMMC chip directly to the motherboard, without having to change any other components). It's possible that they're anticipating switching over to eUFS at some point instead, although that would mean they'd need to have support for both interfaces, and they could quadruple the capacity with eMMC before running into any problems (and they may well be a hardware redesign by that point). The other possibility is that they may want to use the same motherboard in a home console, and they've left themselves the option of using a SATA break out board for a HDD.

Edit: Or, the simpler explanation could just be that they ran out of space on the motherboard and needed to use a breakout board just to fit the eMMC chip in there.

It'd be nice if they took the metal shield off the MicroSD card slot so we could see if it supports UHS-II. I very much doubt it does, but it would be good to get confirmation.

A decent photo of the small chip next to the RAM modules (which appears to be the USB-C controller) would be helpful, as if it's an off-the-shelf chip it could tell us some things about the capabilities of the port (e.g. if it can operate at 10Gb/s with DisplayPort alt mode disabled).

A photo of the alternate side of the motherboard would also be useful, as there may be some other interesting stuff on there.

If they're testing hardware for quality control after putting it together why wouldn't they have clock speeds?

Edit: I don't actually know just asking

I don't know either tbh. I just never believed it :p Because of a lot of the discussion we had in the Eurogamer clock speed thread, a lot of this stuff seemed out there. But I have no idea whether this is info the manufacturer would or wouldn't know. Though I suppose come to think of it, you make a good point.

Doctre81

The thing that jumps out most immediately to me at an architectural level is the fact that the battery is a single discrete component rather than a conglomerate of smaller modules that are more evenly dispersed for heat and balance reasons.

635771967877653933454569590_fresh%20prince%20gif.gif

Best news to come out of the teardown for me. As a launch buyer who plans to use portable mode extensively, my battery will be diminishing fairly early in the console's life cycle (within 2 years probably if my phone is any indicator). Third party replacements should be common by then.

I'm sure i read somewhere that Nintendo would replace the battery for you if it died

maybe he just meant 1080p output on the tv

That's an oversimplification of what happened.

They made the batteries for one size as requested, then the space for the battery was changed without making the battery smaller for safety.

My Alienware with a 99Whr Single battery says hi though.

They do it because of weight distribution really.

Weight dist was never an issue. You are literally talking out of your ass.

Off-topic, I know, but I can't find an answer in any current topic:

Does anyone know if 1-2-Switch has any games were more than 2 players are playing simultaneously? I'm getting the game to play with my kids, but if there are 3 or 4 simultaneous players needed for any games, I'll have to get more joycons. I really don't want to have to buy more joycons...

Ok true.

I just wanna see it all you know.. Everything naked.

9eRz9W6.gif

Yeah, basically the running theory for a while is that in portable mode the system underclocks itself, but when placed into the dock it runs at full speed, particularly making use of the fan for active cooling.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there it is.

As expected, everything's very tightly squeezed in there. I'm a little surprised that the cooling fins between the fan and vent take up so little space, but I suppose there's not a whole lot of cooling to be done. The total power output of the chip probably isn't more than 10-12W even in docked mode at full clocks. That J/L-shaped heatpipe should draw heat away from the SoC pretty effectively, though.

It's a bit annoying we don't have higher resolution photos, as the codes on the RAM modules would confirm all the memory specs (i.e. capacity, speed, bus width). We have leaked info on the first two, but it would be nice to get confirmation, and know whether we're looking at a 64 or 128 bit bus.

The use of a break-out board for the eMMC is really interesting. They wouldn't need this if they planned to just swap in higher-capacity eMMC modules at a later point, as the entire point of integrated flash solutions like eMMC is that it's all BGA-compatible (i.e. you can just solder on a higher capacity eMMC chip directly to the motherboard, without having to change any other components). It's possible that they're anticipating switching over to eUFS at some point instead, although that would mean they'd need to have support for both interfaces, and they could quadruple the capacity with eMMC before running into any problems (and they may well be a hardware redesign by that point). The other possibility is that they may want to use the same motherboard in a home console, and they've left themselves the option of using a SATA break out board for a HDD.

It'd be nice if they took the metal shield off the MicroSD card slot so we could see if it supports UHS-II. I very much doubt it does, but it would be good to get confirmation.

A decent photo of the small chip next to the RAM modules (which appears to be the USB-C controller) would be helpful, as if it's an off-the-shelf chip it could tell us some things about the capabilities of the port (e.g. if it can operate at 10Gb/s with DisplayPort alt mode disabled).

A photo of the alternate side of the motherboard would also be useful, as there may be some other interesting stuff on there.
I want to hug you

WadeitOut

Well, there it is.

Sounds like someone needs to take a cold shower

Anyone know where these pics came from? And if they're planning on taking some more?

Does anyone know if 1-2-Switch has any games were more than 2 players are playing simultaneously? I'm getting the game to play with my kids, but if there are 3 or 4 simultaneous players needed for any games, I'll have to get more joycons. I really don't want to have to buy more joycons...

I'm pretty sure the point of the game (even indicated in the title itself) is that you only need the two joycons which come with the console to play it.

singhr1

Switch can run at faster speeds because dock has extra fan.

I don't see why else it would be more powerful when docked.

No, it runs at a lower clock speed when undocked to stay cooler & retain an adequate battery life.

When docked, these problems are less of a concern, therefore it can clock up. There is no fan inside the dock that is helping it cool down. The switch slides in and connects thru USB-C to charge and provide video/Ethernet output/input.

Where the hell would a fan go to help charge an isolated and closed off system anyway??

indask8

I'm sure i read somewhere that Nintendo would replace the battery for you if it died

Of course they will, even for free while under warranty.

Once your warranty has expired we don't know how much they'll charge for a battery replacement, that's why DIY replacement could be interesting.

AmyS

Not precisely on-topic, but is there any technical reason the Nintendo Switch could not make use of Nvidia's GeForce Now streaming service? They're offering (on PC, Mac) access to GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 hardware for PC games. I'm not sure what the requirements are, other than like 10 to 20 Mbps internet connection for 720p 60fps.

Couldn't Switch act as a terminal (be it the system itself, or in docked mode on TV) for much more technically advanced games powered by those mid to highend cards via GeForce Now? That would fall under the Supplemental Computing Device concept.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Doesn't seem like it. The selling point is just for 2 players at once. But the in-game team mode allows for up to 20 people, just by handing off the controller.

Giant Bomb guys had the Switch in the office late last week and said the dock is "just a piece of plastic."
Just by picking it up though. It was apparently exceptionally light. If there is anything in there, it's extremely minimal.

Dakhil

Anyone know where these pics came from? And if they're planning on taking some more?

I'm pretty sure the point of the game (even indicated in the title itself) is that you only need the two joycons which come with the console to play it.

The links to the pictures are in the OP.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
34zz9Nu.jpg

It's pretty wild that there's nearly no air inside. It's so densely designed.
Yup, this is how modern portable electronics are supposed to be. This thing is light years ahead of Wii U.

Fun fact: supposedly when Steve Jobs was handed an iPod prototype, he dropped it in a fish tank, pointed at the bubbles, and said "see, you can make it smaller".

Top Bottom