• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toparaman

Banned
This explanation was not related to that specific "meeting". And he never even acknowledged that the two couldn't see each other - even when people pressed him about it. So in his view, this was a successful meeting (as he would define it).

Wrong on all accounts.

1. The explanation is related. The very first thing he says as part of that tweet-thread (is that the right term?) is "Two players finding each other on a stream in the first day - that has blown my mind.". So from the very first tweet in the "thread", the subject is clearly defined to be about the "meeting".

2. He did implicitly acknowledge that there were issues with the "meeting" by offering the following explanation: "We added online features, and some Easter Eggs to create cool moments. We hope to see those happening... but too many of you are playing right now. More than we could have predicted."

3. By offering an explanation as to why the meeting had issues, it's safe to say that Murray does NOT believe the meeting was "successful".

Look, he's offered an explanation. It probably isn't satisfying people because it's not apologetic in tone. Rather it paints the situation in an almost triumphant light, which probably isn't appropriate.

So what is this thread for anymore?

It feels like a cesspool of complaints, people who haven't played the game condemning it, meaningless back and forth based on zero new information.

If Sean says something new, I'm sure it will merit it's own thread, otherwise this feels like a waste of people's time.
I mean, you clearly understand why this thread exists based on that last sentence.

Sean hasn't said anything.

Until Sean says something, this thread's going to roll on ahead with the dank memes and complaints.

Najaf

Just have to say not addressing this issue prior to the PC release is fucking spineless, cheap and deceptive.

We've all witnessed some shitty things in this business, but how they have chosen to handle the communication here is pretty damn high up on the list.

SomTervo

Not as one seamless world. Daggerfall is that.

"Cool moments"... "Easter Eggs" ... "online features". I'm sorry, but you are being fooled by obtuse language.

I almost feel for guys like you a bit because you are about to find out.

We've been over that dozens of times in this thread. It's okay. Many others fell for it, even media outlets such as IGN interpreted it that way.

We'd need to work it out but I'm pretty sure one planet is bigger than daggerfall, and that is seamless

Inviusx

Given the real limitations on how solar systems seem to work in this game, is anyone else doubting the 18 quintillion planet claim? If you can't really directly fly from system to system and players could, with not too much effort, meet up on launch day, maybe the universe in the game isn't that big and it's all smoke and mirrors.

I don't doubt that claim. Although I've always interpreted it as "our engine has the capacity to generate 18 quintillion unique planets".

Kinda like how Borderlands promotes have 20 bazillion guns or whatever that stupid number is.

flkraven

Wrong on all accounts.

1. The explanation is related. The very first thing he says as part of that tweet-thread (is that the right term?) is "Two players finding each other on a stream in the first day - that has blown my mind.". So from the very first tweet in the "thread", the subject is clearly defined to be about the "meeting".

2. He did implicitly acknowledge that there were issues with the "meeting" by offering the following explanation: "We added online features, and some Easter Eggs to create cool moments. We hope to see those happening... but too many of you are playing right now. More than we could have predicted."

3. By offering an explanation as to why the meeting had issues, it's safe to say that Murray does NOT believe the meeting was "successful".

Look, he's offered an explanation. It probably isn't satisfying people because it's not apologetic in tone. Rather it paints the situation in an almost triumphant light, which probably isn't appropriate.

Was this your original thought or was it procedurally generated?

OuterLimits

To me it's definitely a bummer if you can't see other players. Sure the odds were super slim anyway, but just the remote possibility of finding someone made it more exciting.

The stars not being part of the Solar systems really bothers me for some reason. lol.

Also it doesn't appear that the planets rotate?

Overall I'm enjoying the game although it's certainly repetitive. Hopefully future updates really add depth to the game. It's a fairly shallow one currently.

Bedlam

Wrong on all accounts.

You keep interpreting your ideas into those tweets. We'll see in a couple of days (my guess) that you've been fooled by deliberately obtuse messaging. :)

RealMeat

Banned
Given the real limitations on how solar systems seem to work in this game, is anyone else doubting the 18 quintillion planet claim? If you can't really directly fly from system to system and players could, with not too much effort, meet up on launch day, maybe the universe in the game isn't that big and it's all smoke and mirrors. That number is the theoretical upper limit on the amount of planets, but who knows if it's actually achievable?

Ending spoiler:
18 quintillion planets is probably counting multiple galaxies. Everyone starts near the edge of the first galaxy, so it's not too hard to believe players were able to get to the same system. It all depends on how far you can jump.

Walpurgis

Banned
Given the real limitations on how solar systems seem to work in this game, is anyone else doubting the 18 quintillion planet claim? If you can't really directly fly from system to system and players could, with not too much effort, meet up on launch day, maybe the universe in the game isn't that big and it's all smoke and mirrors. That number is the theoretical upper limit on the amount of planets, but who knows if it's actually achievable?
One thing is certain, Sean Murray and Hello Games can't be trusted. We'll find out everything when people rip the game open tomorrow.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of information on the PC version was and continues to be as bizarre as it is frustrating. Thankfully the pre-order ships are apparently dogshit because people should be leery about picking up the PC version at launch given the complete lack of information.
I preordered it on Steam knowing full well that I can ask for a refund if it ends up being a bad port, or I find it boring. But I'm sure it'll be fun, at least for me.

Toparaman

Banned
You keep interpreting your ideas into those tweets. We'll see in a couple of days (my guess) that you've been fooled by deliberately obtuse messaging. :)

While I'm sure at some point we will find out whether Murray lied about synchronous multiplayer, I doubt Murray's going to clarify whether or not the tweets he wrote were or weren't an explanation for the two players not seeing each other. That's of such little interest to anyone outside of our little debate. So in all likelihood we'll never find out if I've been fooled.

If Sean says something new, I'm sure it will merit it's own thread, otherwise this feels like a waste of people's time.

I think we are at a point where whatever Sean "says" is completely useless, since we've established that he can't be trusted.

This thread is actually useful because players are progressively "verifying" and fact-checking all the empty promises. It's reality coming down with hard facts.

This thread is like science Vs magic. Players are PROVING that all the magicians magics were all bullshit.

yall might be on to something w this smoke n mirrors business.

in fact i suspect these planets/aliens/spaceships don't even actually exist AT ALL. they are just lines of code LYING to you. they don't represent real truth.

I want to say one thing that is my biggest peeve with this game and how people are talking about it:

Hello Games has not made a universe.
They have made what LOOKS like a universe, but there is no interaction between anything.
The AI, the environments, the races, nothing does anything. Everything sits there or walks in place.
If you literally just sit there and look at something, nothing will ever happen.
The player is the ONLY thing that does anything in this game and his/her impact on the universe are tiny and have no actual impact.

It is not a universe, it just looks like one.

Even Elite Dangerous has a so called "background simulation".
In No Man Sky, nothing is connected to anything.

Klyka
Truly grasps the size of the NMS universe
(Today, 06:55 PM)

Bedlam

While I'm sure at some point we will find out whether Murray lied about synchronous multiplayer, I doubt Murray's going to clarify whether or not the tweets he wrote were or weren't an explanation for the two players not seeing each other. That's of such little interest to anyone outside of our little debate. So in all likelihood we'll never find out if I've been fooled.
Those tweets are actually at the center of the whole MP debate ... along with his interviews.

And sure, if it turns out you can never see other players in NMS, then the tweets were obviously unrelated and he meant other online interactions. Whatever those Easter Eggs and magic moments are.

Those tweets are actually at the center of the whole MP debate ... along with his interviews.

And sure, if it turns out you can never see other players in NMS, then the tweets were obviously unrelated and he meant other online interactions. Whatever those Easter Eggs and magic moments are.

No Man's Sky secret sauce.

I think we are at a point where whatever Sean "says" is completely useless, since we've established that he can't be trusted.

This thread is actually useful because players are progressively "verifying" and fact-checking all the empty promises. It's reality coming down with hard facts.

This thread is like science Vs magic. Players are PROVING that all the magicians magics were all bullshit.

You sound like a reporter working on a story that's going to blow the whistle on the biggest and most deceitful corruption in the history of the world.

WE CAN'T LET THEM KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!

Toparaman

Banned
yall might be on to something w this smoke n mirrors business.

in fact i suspect these planets/aliens/spaceships don't even actually exist AT ALL. they are just lines of code LYING to you. they don't represent real truth.

"Crooked Sean promised multiplayer as a CORE FEATURE of NMS. There's none to be found. Sad!" - @realDonaldTrump

Well no, because he may have just been lying. A false explanation is still an explanation. But we're just arguing semantics at this point.

krioto

do you not feel even a little bit silly when you look back on what you've posted here? scoop of the century....

Has this been posted yet? This thread flies by so quickly lol.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ion-has-online-play-icon-hidden-under-sticker

"UPDATE 5.10pm: Sony has told Eurogamer that the online play and increased age rating featured on limited edition No Man's Sky packaging is a "production issue".

The original icons - now hidden under a sticker - were incorrect, the publisher continued. Here is Sony's statement in full:

"Incorrect descriptors were incorporated into the original No Man's Sky limited edition packaging," a company spokesperson said. "This was a production issue and was rectified using placement stickers."

cRIPticon

Read as much as I could here and have one question: why is this such a big deal? With so vast a universe to explore, is no multiplayer a real issue here?

EDIT: I stand corrected.

flkraven

Has this been posted yet? This thread flies by so quickly lol.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ion-has-online-play-icon-hidden-under-sticker

"UPDATE 5.10pm: Sony has told Eurogamer that the online play and increased age rating featured on limited edition No Man's Sky packaging is a "production issue".

The original icons - now hidden under a sticker - were incorrect, the publisher continued. Here is Sony's statement in full:

"Incorrect descriptors were incorporated into the original No Man's Sky limited edition packaging," a company spokesperson said. "This was a production issue and was rectified using placement stickers."
It's in the op

Read as much as I could here and have one question: why is this such a big deal? With so vast a universe to explore, is no multiplayer a real issue here?

The differnece between the chance of multiplayer and no multiplayer signifianctly changea the dynamic of the game as has been mentioned here multiple times.

gtabmx

Neo Member
Any remaining hype I had left for this game has literally been crushed with this post, it really sounds like an early access indie game on steam at this point in time, which is ironically what most of the steam reviews will probably say tomorrow.

Hopefully modders tear it apart and make it into something much more, there is hope for PC at least.

Sorry bro :/ Not trying to throw shade on the game, just want people to know what it actually is. I'm in the same boat. Sad inside, frustrated on the outside. In Canada, the game is $80 before tax...

Here are a few snippets of some sweet little lies:

“when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that.

Creatures on a distant planet that nobody has ever visited are drinking from a watering hole or falling asleep because they’re following a formula that determines where they go and what they do; we just don’t run the formula for a place until we get there.”

“Certain animals have an affinity for some objects over others which is part of giving them personality and individual style. They have friends and best friends too. It's just a label on a bit of code—but another creature of the same type nearby is potentially their friend. They ask their friends telepathically where they’re going so they can coordinate.”

Artistic director Grant Duncan recalled roaming an alien planet once shooting at birds out of boredom. “I hit one and it fell into the ocean,” he recalled. “It was floating there on the waves when suddenly, a shark came up and ate it. The first time it happened, it totally blew me away.”

“When you die, you regenerate in the same location,” Murray explained, “but you do lose a great deal of things. We wanted the loss to be meaningful—for you to know that if you make a decision, it has significance.”

This is gold

I jump back in my ship. The sun has set on this planet as it has in reality. Iv'e been playing all day.

"Should I continue the search for another player," I ask myself.

Not today. Sean would want me to sleep.

I pause the game but do not turn it off. I want to be able to return immediately when I awaken.

I go into my bedroom and open the closet door. I have emptied it out to create a shrine.

I kneel in front of the statue of Sean Murray and light a candle.

I whisper:

"Please Sean, guide me to another player so that I know you're not just a lying sack of shit. Embarrass the NeoGAF with your honesty."

I sit and pray for another few minutes. Then, I put out the candle and go to sleep.

I dream of Sean's barefoot interview.

This is such a stupidly bold lie if it is one.

The only explanation I can think of is if he thought they could implement the feature before the game launched and failed. If that's the case he went full blown Molynuex, what a shame.

Raonak

Banned

Actually, since each solar system is "closed off" It makes it a lot more easier to have limitless amounts of solar systems cause you don't have to worry about rendering anything outside of the system you're currently in.

Hold up, I missed this...
Sean Murray said:
“Certain animals have an affinity for some objects over others which is part of giving them personality and individual style. They have friends and best friends too. It's just a label on a bit of code—but another creature of the same type nearby is potentially their friend. They ask their friends telepathically where they’re going so they can coordinate.”

Did he really say this? Is this for real? That... can't be in the game can it? Is it?! Am I on acid?!?!

Klyka

Banned
Hold up, I missed this...

Did he really say this? Is this for real? That... can't be in the game can it? Is it?! Am I on acid?!?!

I guess sometimes some animals of the same type will kinda-ish walk around in a group.
But not often.

That is basically this.
There is no actual proper AI that has a want/need system or something like that in this.

Jobbs

Banned
I must admit to feeling some vindication after years of calling this guy moly jr and always being told I'm soooooo wrong

Turns out he's moly jr

SaganIsGOAT

I jump back in my ship. The sun has set on this planet as it has in reality. Iv'e been playing all day.

"Should I continue the search for another player," I ask myself.

Not today. Sean would want me to sleep.

I pause the game but do not turn it off. I want to be able to return immediately when I awaken.

I go into my bedroom and open the closet door. I have emptied it out to create a shrine.

I kneel in front of the statue of Sean Murray and light a candle.

I whisper:

"Please Sean, guide me to another player so that I know you're not just a lying sack of shit. Embarrass the NeoGAF with your honesty."

I sit and pray for another few minutes. Then, I put out the candle and go to sleep.

I dream of Sean's barefoot interview.

Oh my 😂😂😂😂

SomTervo

The differnece between the chance of multiplayer and no multiplayer signifianctly changea the dynamic of the game as has been mentioned here multiple times.

It doesn't change the dynamic of the game whatsoever. It's still a 99.9% single player game.

But that doesn't mean it's not bullshit that they categorically stated there's some sort of multiplayer function to completely fly in the face of the statement.

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
The more I read about this game, the more confused I get about how it even makes sense to begin with. How is a shared world procedurally generated? Did it exist before anybody played it? Who's doing the generation? The server? Does that mean it requires a persistent internet connection to play? I thought PS Plus wasn't required? What happens if the server/your internet goes down? And once the planets are generated, are they persistent? Can you revisit a planet you visited in a previous game? If it is persistent, how is there a concrete count on the number of planets that can exist? Is there a fixed layout of this universe that hundreds of thousands of people are exploring? Can somebody theoretically map the known parts of the universe and have it be consistent across all players? If the goal of the game is to get to the center of something, doesn't that something have to be bounded? How do you define the center of something that has no bound or is constantly changing? What happens if you go in the opposite direction of the "center"?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
It seems obvious at this point that many of these features that are currently missing had to be pulled out close to release for whatever reason. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony is making them be hush about that.

The only silver lining is that they've promised free DLC, and we know they plan on making significant updates. So maybe in 6-12 months they'll have their original vision of the game somewhat realized.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
comparisons to spore are unfair. the organic systems in spore were grossly exaggerated, but they at least existed.

rainz

Can't believe I've read this whole thread over the past few days...
Keep checking Seans twitter for signs of life..Nothing..
Can't imagine what is going through his mind reading all this stuff, while at the same time trying to launch on PC. Kind of feel sorry for the guy, rather eagerly awaiting him coming out and saying something at least goddamn.

Inviusx

This is such a stupidly bold lie if it is one.

The only explanation I can think of is if he thought they could implement the feature before the game launched and failed. If that's the case he went full blown Molynuex, what a shame.

QpJu9QD.jpg

SomTervo

The more I read about this game, the more confused I get about how it even makes sense to begin with. How is a shared world procedurally generated? Did it exist before anybody played it? Who's doing the generation? The server? Does that mean it requires a persistent internet connection to play? I thought PS Plus wasn't required? What happens if the server/your internet goes down? And once the planets are generated, are they persistent? Can you revisit a planet you visited in a previous game? If it is persistent, how is there a concrete count on the number of planets that can exist? Is there a fixed layout of this universe that hundreds of thousands of people are exploring? Can somebody theoretically map the known parts of the universe and have it be consistent across all players? If the goal of the game is to get to the center of something, doesn't that something have to be bounded? How do you define the center of something that has no bound or is constantly changing? What happens if you go in the opposite direction of the "center"?

You haven't done enough reading.

The universe's map is generated using a seed which is inserted into the procedural engine. Everyone plays from the same seed - the same massive map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom