• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

lmuydTn.jpg

lfIVT7i.gif

Fantomex

I have to say it feels good to be right about Hello Games. I have had quite a negative stance towards them for quite some time now and this just shows again how they are tricking their fanbase.

Joe Danger 1
Joe Danger 2
Now Man's Sky

Will they ever release a console game where they don't fuck up?

I don't know, Bethesda doesn't either but they seem to get a pass every time.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I honestly hope that players do end up being able to see eachother, it would be the perfect end to this thread.

If it's related to unlocking anything via gameplay, we should find out pretty quickly once people get in there with cheat engine on PC...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I go to sleep and wake up to a thread title change.

The mods here are actual comedians. Love it.

Moreche

I imagine this game to be a commercial success on PS4 and PC and make hello games a lot of money.
It's a real shame as the game is not what we have been told over the years.
The review embargo, lack of info since release and I have zero confidence the game will evolve into what it's meant to be.
But I blame myself, the signs were all there and I blindly ignored them and naively pre-ordered the game digitally.
Can't even pass it off to someone else.

I have to say it feels good to be right about Hello Games. I have had quite a negative stance towards them for quite some time now and this just shows again how they are tricking their fanbase.

Joe Danger 1
Joe Danger 2
Now Man's Sky

Will they ever release a console game where they don't fuck up?

Wait what's wrong with the Joe Danger games?

SomTervo

I imagine this game to be a commercial success on PS4 and PC and make hello games a lot of money.
It's a real shame as the game is not what we have been told over the years.
The review embargo, lack of info since release and I have zero confidence the game will evolve into what it's meant to be.
But I blame myself, the signs were all there and I blindly ignored them and naively pre-ordered the game digitally.
Can't even pass it off to someone else.

You're playing it yeah? I honestly struggle to understand how you think the bolded is true if you've played the game much. It 90% matches what they promised for the last 3.5 years.

Alright, I'm back, was taking a nap. Where we at? Is PC version good? Did we find anything out?

You posted this exact post like 15 pages ago???

Moreche

You're playing it yeah? I honestly struggle to understand how you think the bolded is true if you've played the game much. It 90% matches what they promised for the last 3.5 years.

Maybe but so much is hidden behind smoke and mirrors. I admit that if playing this and you stay away from Gaf and Reddit most of the details we've been told about, you wouldn't believe didn't work but the truth is that I haven't.
Watch the E3 2014 and 15 trailers closely and tell me that's what I'm playing.

Sigh, before I said that I just woke up but I couldn't sleep well because of my shoulder.

I didn't get much sleep so I was taking a nap.

I'm... sorry?

The thing that annoys me about this is that if I'd have gone into an NMS hype thread a month ago and said there would be no multiplayer functionality outside of naming things I'd have been torn apart by fans of a game they've never played.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I guess Sean tweeting about beefing up customer support and ignoring the whole seeing other people thing seems to make sense if you read the PC thread. Sounds like a terrible port.

From the PC performance thread:

Sean is tweeting some info. They pushed a small patch already. Also update your drivers.

They pushed prerequisite libraries. May help people that can't get the game to load but there is no performance difference.

Everything else he is blaming on drivers and shitty PCs.

Pif

Banned
The thing that annoys me about this is that if I'd have gone into an NMS hype thread a month ago and said there would be no multiplayer functionality outside of naming things I'd have been torn apart by fans of a game they've never played.

Those are burping loud after so much crow right now.

On topic: If they keep updating the game and it becomes a good "space minecraft", I might reconsider.

flkraven

Literally the day before release i was questioning whether or not we would see people and i was talked down too about that. As if it was so obvious that we would be able to bump into people.

brau

Shitty PCs which include rigs that have a 1080 gtx, 32 gigs of ram, i7 processor. running it with no AA, native 1080p and still getting dips on FPS, stutters and hitches and bugs.

Good stuff.

Uthred

Yes, Totalbiscuit stopped streaming because of the bad performance, he said it was "as bad as Arkham Kinght".

He also made no effort to get it to run better and childishly ignored gameplay elements. The port is certainly shoddy but TB's "coverage" of it is equally shite.

He also made no effort to get it to run better and childishly ignored gameplay elements. The port is certainly shoddy but TB's "coverage" of it is equally shite.

Yes, the gall of him to not try to fix a game that he paid $60 for. SMH

We shouldn't have to fix their crap for them.

Raven117

I mean, I dunno.

I don't care one iota about there not being multiplayer.

I did stumble on a plant someone else discovered first. I was immediately sad (because I want to be the first) then curious...who was casa0050?

Darkwater

Steam reviews are mostly negative, but after looking at the reviews, this seems to entirely be because of the performance problems at the moment. Will be interesting to see what the general sentiment turns into when (if?) those are solved.

fiCfbeo.png

On an OT note: how the hell does the game go gold so long before release but still have these issues?

Literally the day before release i was questioning whether or not we would see people and i was talked down too about that. As if it was so obvious that we would be able to bump into people.

Sean specifically said you could, a lot of people hadn't seen those answers and asked basic questions about NMS...so people told them. I got involved in a minor imbroglio about it as I went and found the quotes...but not the source quote.

Even now, we still don't know for sure that you CAN'T see other players.

Right now I think the factually correct answer is "Sean has said in the past that you can, two pairs of players have tried and failed, and also they put stickers over the retail packaging to indicate that online play is disabled. It may well be that you can't, in which case they lied, or you can, and the definition of online play is a bit weird and different in different territories"

nampad

aw... im a big fan of Joe Danger 1.

Wait what's wrong with the Joe Danger games?

I really liked the games too. I am actually speaking of how Hello Games fucked over people who got too invested in the Joe Danger games.

When Joe Danger 1 got released exclusively, they tried to ride the Playstation fanboy train and badmouthed XBLA and called it a slaughterhouse for indies.
They proceeded to release an XBLA version with extras, which did not get ported to the PS3 so their initial fans had no chance to get it except buying it again on XBLA.

Then out of nowhere they announced Joe Danger 2 as an XBLA exclusive leaving all their inital fans (seemingly) behind again. There were no news about a PS3 port at all until only some weeks after they released Joe Danger 2 with massive exclusive content on PS3 and now fucking over people who got it on XBLA.

I get that indie devs have to try to get their games in as many hands as possible and exclusive content was a way to circumvent the parity clauses. The way they handled all this was abysmal though.

Would you like a cookie?

Your are so cool.

Audioboxer

I really liked the games too. I am actually speaking of how Hello Games fucked over people who got too invested in the Joe Danger games.

When Joe Danger 1 got released exclusively, they tried to ride the Playstation fanboy train and badmouthed XBLA and called it a slaughterhouse for indies.
They proceeded to release an XBLA version with extras, which did not get ported to the PS3 so their initial fans had no chance to get it except buying it again on XBLA.

Then out of nowhere they announced Joe Danger 2 as an XBLA exclusive leaving all their inital fans (seemingly) behind again. There were no news about a PS3 port at all until only some weeks after they released Joe Danger 2 with massive exclusive content on PS3 and now fucking over people who got it on XBLA.

I get that indie devs have to try to get their games in as many hands as possible and exclusive content was a way to circumvent the parity clauses. The way they handled all this was abysmal though.

Your are so cool.

Kind of forgot how rough the Joe Danger launches were :/

mike6467

A really aggravating reality of development is that time doesn't always equal results, when it comes to the last stages of development.

Plus wasn't it technically the PS4 version that went gold? They seemed to talk about that version exclusively, and barely dropped any PC info, so I assumed the "going gold" thing didn't apply to the PC.

brau

Your are so cool.

woa.. didn't know any of that. I always thought Joe Danger was great. got it on playstation, also on vita, and i think i even grabbed it on xbla. i support Hello Games and their culture... or at least what i thought they do. That is pretty terrible if true tho... and the whole things surrounding NMS is a shame.

In some parallel universe, multiplayer actually works in this game, but players are too far apart to actually cross paths (as was suggested pre-launch.) Two players spends weeks upon weeks collecting fuel and warping to meet up, only to be completely underwhelmed when they can finally see it each other. "Yep, I see you. Now what?"

It is weird that that is the scenario that everyone would be happy with, and this thread would not exist. Everyone who is pissed off about being lied to would be playing the game, going "welp, I'll probably never actually run into anyone, but at least the potential is there."

I'm loving No Mans Sky, and it is exactly what I expected.

DataGhost

This may be why they needed to delay the game 3 days to work out the kinks as many kinks as they could.

But at this point, I don't think we will get an answer on the MP elements while they scramble to fix the problems people are facing.

Seems like we'll have to wait for people to look for the player model.

Russ T

Banned
I'm not sure releasing the game in such a state should be considered an option.

Imagine the outrage at delaying the game even longer. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

I've been following this thread but avoided posting in it until now. Probably a mistake to post at all, but hey. People are so bizarrely ANGRY it just doesn't make sense.

In some parallel universe, multiplayer actually works in this game, but players are too far apart to actually cross paths (as was suggested pre-launch.) Two players spends weeks upon weeks collecting fuel and warping to meet up, only to be completely underwhelmed when they can finally see it each other. "Yep, I see you. Now what?"

It is weird that that is the scenario that everyone would be happy with, and this thread would not exist. Everyone who is pissed off about being lied to would be playing the game, going "welp, I'll probably never actually run into anyone, but at least the potential is there."

This defense has been trotted out many, many, many times. It's really nothing new.

The concept is simple: if a dev promises a feature, it's expected to be there. It doesn't matter if you use that feature 100% of the time or 0.0000000001% of the time, if the dev says it's in, it better be in.

The bigger issue here is Sean continuing to be coy and going out of his way to ignore the fact that people can't see each other. He directly addressed the fact that two people were in the same place at the same time, and has deliberately stopped short of actually addressing the question that naturally follows immediately: hey, how come they couldn't see each other?

There are plenty of folks in this thread who are enjoying the game while simultaneously understanding why this is a big deal to people. Just because you enjoy the game does not mean these complaints are invalid or negligible.

nynt9

You can just organize with friends and get together and explore together. Sounds like a great time, and is what a lot of people expected to be able to do based on Sean's promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom