• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaro

AELXhAQ.jpg

Izcarielo

Banned
So, can we meet others players or not? Whatever the answer to that question is, it should be postes on OP's so people wont be confused anymore

Speely

Banned
This is in no way a dealbreaker for me. Being able to meet up (or just happen upon someone) and see them would have been a cool bonus, but the core of the game is exploring on your own, as they've always been very clear about. BUT, yes, they should have more clearly answered this question some time ago. All this "it's sooo improbable" talk has just felt like them not wanting to answer the actual question. Except a few times they have, and they've literally said that you CAN see other players (only it's "sooo improbable"). If that's not even possible (shut up about the "sooo improbable"), they should have said so. They have said that it is, even as they've tried to sidestep the question in every interview. So if you can't actually see other players at all, then they've lied to us all this time. Or maybe it's just a server/instancing thing, which is fine. But please, just come out and tell us what's going on.

Agree in that I will play the game either way, but we should give them time to parse this data and see where it settles in practical terms.

Tiny team makes hugely ambitious game. What could go wrong on day one? ;) Lots of possible outcomes from this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does quintillion planets really mean quintillion planets exist at launch? That's just the maximum potential, right?

I thought that the number of worlds present right now would be proportional to the small # of players who are playing the game right now, and that the # of worlds that exist would expand over time as people explore and as more players begin the game?

18 quintillion is how many unique planets the algorithms can generate, basically. None of them really "exist", they all just get generated when someone visits one of them. Once they leave, the planet once again doesn't exist (except as a discovery record). So it's not really correct to say that the number of existing planets will expand over time or that it's at a certain number right now. The number of discovery records will increase, but all of the planets "exist" only as potential outcomes of the generation algorithms.

Seiniyta

Lol, people really need it to be spelled out don't they?

Come on... It's really clear what he's saying here. Servers overloaded, miracle discoveries are going through? Couldn't be any clearer?

nOoblet16

It could be NAT issues or it could be that they were both on different servers (more likely if they were based in different regions)

Zomba13

So did that happen or are they talking about the thing in OP (as in, blatantly lying)?

bydmtMn.gif

The two guys from the OP (and Kotaku article and Reddit and whever else) didn't connect to each other. Their second try didn't work. At least I assume it didn't because when I checked it out it didn't work and if it did you'd think there would be pictures and links and gifs on here or on the reddit.

Kathian

Banned
Like this game went from small to huge and with that opening letter I think it's clear the decks have been terrified of bad feedback. Time to get of Twitter with posts like that - the game doesn't have multiplayer (ignoring the fact this has actually been suggested a good few times in marketing) OK that's the game.

But this is some Gove level trying to fit delusion between gaps of reality in the English language. And as with Gove it's quite obvious.

toa95

Lol, people really need it to be spelled out don't they?

Come on... It's really clear what he's saying here. Servers overloaded, miracle discoveries are going through? Couldn't be any clearer?

That's the idea I'm getting from this. Servers are busted, but since the game isn't an Online Only game like Destiny everyone thinks everything is working as intended, so when two players tried to meet up it's relieved that the servers are having issues, resulting in basically a single player game right now.

Kaz42

So 'no multiplayer' (which he tweeted yesterday) means very light elements of what can be considered MP *are* in the game, but the game is not for you want a MP centric experience. Which is what Murray has been saying since day 1.

I just think people are reading too much into the multiplayer tweet tbh. These latest tweets state what's happening. They put in online features and the servers are being overloaded so we're not seeing it happen.

The fact that finding other players, just not SEEING them, is a scandal is fucking pathetic.

But I guess not caring is a mark on my character.

Jimrpg

"We wanted this to happen - but the first day?" could be take as it is going to be in a patch down the road.

I think they are talking about the scale of the galaxy/universe, and that itd be hard for two random people to be on the same server to meet up.

Umm, so what if they're on different servers?

These kind of games (mmos mostly) usually move players to the same server / shard when they get close to each other or on each other's friendlist/clan etc.

The question is, have they implemented these features at all? and NO he's not being clear about the reason they can't see each other

It seems Seans definition of 'finding other players' is just visiting the same planet or seeing a species previously named by someone else. Stuff like that.

He's either the new Molyneux or is genuinely hiding cool features of his game for people to discover on their own. Or they will add it at some point via DLC so dont want to give a definite 'no'.

Jimrpg

The fact that finding other players, just not SEEING them, is a scandal is fucking pathetic.

But I guess not caring is a mark on my character.

Its more about what Sean said what the game was before release. People are preordering it based on his comments. It matters.

Jac_Solar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom