• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basileus777 said:
This isn't new information. We already knew that from Orell in ASOS. Plus Martin read the prologue of ADWD at some event many years ago.

I must have completely missed that. Good, I didn't spoil anything.

So far so good though. I think it's because I've missed a few of these characters so much that I am absolutely in love with the book so far. I have one positive and one negative so far though (not really spoilery but I do mention my feelings on a character):

It's awesome to read about Dany and her dragons again, I'm happy they've grown finally. Tyrion hasn't changed, his dialogue is still awesome :).

But as some have said before, it does feel (so far) that a lot of this is setup for the next book. Again I have to read more but it does sometimes have that feel of AFFC.

Puddles

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
I must have completely missed that. Good, I didn't spoil anything.

So far so good though. I think it's because I've missed a few of these characters so much that I am absolutely in love with the book so far. I have one positive and one negative so far though (not really spoilery but I do mention my feelings on a character):

It's awesome to read about Dany and her dragons again, I'm happy they've grown finally. Tyrion hasn't changed, his dialogue is still awesome :).

But as some have said before, it does feel (so far) that a lot of this is setup for the next book. Again I have to read more but it does sometimes have that feel of AFFC.

I sent you a question via pm. Would be awesome if you could take a look at it. :)

Jerk

Banned
Not surprised about Jon's arc at all
; that is more or less what I expected the logical progression to be since he joined the watch.
In the end, I do not think that this book is what most people were expecting. Still, it is pretty well written.

Fjordson

Puddles said:
I can say with 100% certainty that Deadly Monk is NOT an internet bro. :(
I'm pretty sure I know what you PM'ed him about. I was going to PM him as well. Guess I won't now =(

I'm looking all over for this bitch. No dice.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
These few days... have been worse than the past 5 years.

Edit: Did someone really just PM me something entitle ADWD and expect me to open it? I've waited years for this shit to be spoiled by anything >_<

methodman

Banned
Found the scans haven't downloaded yet though, we're getting audited at work, will be busy till Thursday.

Holla if you Fiending for it

Gambit

200 pages in, only (almost) 700 more to go, before I can read all your spoilers. Looking forward to it and the discussion.

shintoki said:
Edit: Did someone really just PM me something entitle ADWD and expect me to open it? I've waited years for this shit to be spoiled by anything >_<

Is it just those 4chan photos taken with a camera?

Puddles

Banned
Yep, 4chan photos.

Some of the pages are blurry as hell, but readable. If you don't get a few words, you can figure them out through the context.

Can't wait for the hardcover release.

350 pages of ADWD read, and (barely a spoiler, no plot mentioned)
too many Tyrion chapters so far. It almost feels like a tyrion chapter, random person chapter, tyrion chapter, another persons chapter.

Dresden

HarryHengst said:
too many Tyrion chapters so far. It almost feels like a tyrion chapter, random person chapter, tyrion chapter, another persons chapter.
sounds fucking AWESOME

Tucah

you speak so well
HarryHengst said:

This is the only "spoiler" I've read about the book but it gets me FUCKING PUMPED. Best news ever imo.

Fjordson

What I've read has been fuck awesome. And I've already been pleasantly surprised by one of the new POV's.

I need Tuesday to come. No more reading the leak for me.

HarryHengst said:
I don't know anyone who would have a problem with this.

Azrael

I tried reading the leak, but the blurriness of the scans was killing the enjoyment of reading it, so I stopped without finishing the prologue. I'll be waiting to download it to my Kindle next week unless better scans pop up.

yacobod

Banned
i've also read that tyrion's chapters are pretty disappointing compared to their usual high quality.

semi-spoiler time, so watch out:
i hope GURM will eventually come out and verify what really happens at the end of the novel on his Not A Blog
because if we are stuck with that cliffhanger for 5 or 6 years without definitive resolution, i'm going to be pretty pissed (Jon being dead or alive).

I just read (ADWD Spoilers)
the part where Barristan tells Dany that Aerys lusted after Joanna Lannister. Tyrion as a Targ was one fan theory I always thought was stupid...
Baby Aegon alive. BloodRaven as 3 eyed crow. Tyrion as a Targ. R+L=J. Jon as Azor Azhai. It seems like the fans got a lot right. Then again when you are throwing out theories on everything for fifteen years, that's inevitable.

Tucah

you speak so well
It's so hard avoiding all these spoiler bars. Time to bail out of here for good until I finish the book.

Puddles

Banned
Maybe 1/4th of the way through the book, Tyrion's chapters aren't quite as exciting as I'd hoped, but

minor spoiler

they aren't quite like Brienne's. Yes, they could be shorter, and yes, this whole journey could be told in less time, but they don't suffer from the problem of the reader knowing in advance that the whole journey is fruitless. Also, we get to see some new lands that we haven't seen before.

bengraven

Read some of the stuff out there. It's interesting to see how much better the chapters are now compared to the preview chapters or summaries.

For example, an early Jon chapter
originally had Janos Slynt hanged, which was incredibly satisfying. Now when he's off to be hanged, Jon basically says "no, this is wrong". Then fucking beheads him the same way his father was beheaded by Janos's double-crossing.
I cheered. Justice was served.

Puddles

Banned
bengraven said:
Read some of the stuff out there. It's interesting to see how much better the chapters are now compared to the preview chapters or summaries.

For example, an early Jon chapter
originally had Janos Slynt hanged, which was incredibly satisfying. Now when he's off to be hanged, Jon basically says "no, this is wrong". Then fucking beheads him the same way his father was beheaded by Janos's double-crossing.
I cheered. Justice was served.

That is now probably one of my favorite ASoIaF chapters of all time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
HarryHengst said:
Yeah, one of the new POV's was really unexpected.

Is it Hodor?? XD

(I'm still reading SoS, just got past where Barristan reveals himself, fucking badass. Please don't die Hodor! And I'm out...)

PhoenixDark said:
The embargo has been lifted, a couple reviews from Time and Televisionary (Daily Beast):

"George R. R. Martin's Dance with Dragons: A Masterpiece Worthy of Tolkien"
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2081774,00.html#ixzz1RQjsCjjk

"George R.R. Martin’s Triumphant Return"
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ook-in-his-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-series.html

Damn. I skimmed those for the most part glazing over the more spoilery parts but they seem overwhelmingly positive, even saying that it might be the best one yet.

Review from Adam Whitehead, one of the series' most respected gatekeepers
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/07/dance-with-dragons-by-george-rr-martin.html

It's the most detailed review, and while there are no specific spoilers there's lots of talk about the flow of the book, which some might find spoilery (although saying the ending is climatic shouldn't be a spoiler to most readers).

This review especially puts to rest any notion the book is more AFFC-like. Battles, major twists, and huge shocks are in store for readers.

JerkShep

Read the first 100 pages, I have to read the third
Tyrion
chapter.

I'm liking the book so far. The North chapters are faboulous. East part is ok, not mindblowing but after the first comments I expected worse.
Worst chapter so far:
Quentyn, but it served as introduction so I can understand why it was so slow. The setting didn't help, I don't like the Free Cities very much
Best chapter so far:
Jon II. I was never a Jon Snow fan, but his storyline always had potential and a beautiful setting and now it's finally paying off. Love the Stannis-Jon dynamic

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
PhoenixDark said:
Review from Adam Whitehead, one of the series' most respected gatekeepers
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/07/dance-with-dragons-by-george-rr-martin.html

It's the most detailed review, and while there are no specific spoilers there's lots of talk about the flow of the book, which some might find spoilery (although saying the ending is climatic shouldn't be a spoiler to most readers).

This review especially puts to rest any notion the book is more AFFC-like. Battles, major twists, and huge shocks are in store for readers.

Fuck me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
NPR posted an article about Dance and its like, I want to click it so bad but no. NO. NOOO.

PhoenixDark said:
The embargo has been lifted, a couple reviews from Time and Televisionary (Daily Beast):

"George R. R. Martin's Dance with Dragons: A Masterpiece Worthy of Tolkien"
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2081774,00.html#ixzz1RQjsCjjk

"George R.R. Martin’s Triumphant Return"
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ook-in-his-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-series.html

HNNNGGG

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
BlueTsunami said:
NPR posted an article about Dance and its like, I want to click it so bad but no. NO. NOOO.

HNNNGGG

It's strange. It's by the same guy as the article on TIME, and the story is essentially the same, but is clearly rewritten (or an earlier version).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Been trying to get into some discussion over on Westeros but so many people there are just idiots or assholes.

methodman

Banned
Emerson said:
Been trying to get into some discussion over on Westeros but so many people there are just idiots or assholes.
Ya they have a very extremist attitude. Ive been a member on that board since it opened, don't like posting there much at all. I do enjoy the literature board though, lot of good suggestions for different books

To be fair, Ran is trying his hardest to make sure spoilers don't get on the board; just a few days ago they got bombed by some new poster throwing spoilers everywhere. Is any ADWD discussion allowed until the 12th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom