• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Witcher film and TV series might be happening - nothing to do with CDPR

GavinUK86

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-05-witcher-feature-film-planned-for-2017-will-begin-a-series

A Witcher movie, which is nothing to do with Polish game maker CD Projekt Red, now has a global release date of 2017. It will both introduce the world of the Witcher and serve as the beginning of a series to continue in film and on TV.

Specifically the film will be based on themes from the short stories The Witcher and Lesser Evil. The Witcher (1986) was the very first story written by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski about the now famed white-haired mutant monster hunter. It follows Geralt as he takes on a contract to confront a monster risen from the double-coffin of a mother and daughter who died in childbirth several years before.

The Lesser Evil short story concerns Renfri, a cursed daughter of nobility described as a brutal Snow White. It's in Lesser Evil that Geralt earns his enduring nickname The Butcher of Blaviken.

The film will be a full-scale feature with actors, effects 'n all. I specify because the creative force behind it is Platige Film, part of Platige Image, a company responsible for nearly all of the impressive Witcher game cinematics over the years - and they were animated. The film's director, Tomek Baginski (Oscar nominated for his film The Cathedral), directed the intro cinematic to The Witcher 2.

It is somewhat odd, then, that CD Projekt Red - the developer of the games that made The Witcher a thing outside of Poland - is not involved or mentioned by Platige at all. CD Projekt Red also happens to own the rights to The Witcher brand, which may cause issues for the film.

Wagram

I'll probably watch it as a fan of the universe, but without CDPR (since they've written The Witcher i'm used to) my expectations are low.

I prefer the CDPR canon, so I pretty much do not care. If they get CDPR involve and use its cannon awesome.

Imagine: HBO+CDPR + witcher. it would be awesome

Philippo

I did a montage with Mads Mikkelsen looking like a perfect Geralt, probably a year ago, for that thread about games if they where movie posters, anybody can help me find it?
Just to span the "who should play Geralt " discussion.

Both have happened before and they were terrible (TV, Movie).

eHeezyb.jpg

Can't wait for more of THE HEXER.

I'd be down for a tv show. literally monster of the week.

This is what I want it to be. Just Geralt doing contracts.

Though if CDPR owns the license, oh jeez. Though I'm more shocked they just are not involved. They definitely popularised the brand worldwide and probably would be a good company to (at least) be part of it.

Weebos

Banned
I can imagine a Witcher show like Mushi-shi, with more violence and a little darker.

Would be great.

I didn't like the games much, but the first book is excellent.

Effect

This seems important.
Do they own the IP outright or just the rights to the video game? Knowing this is important and there likely is a big difference. I've noticed a lot of things coming out about the The Witcher (board game, card games and comics) are being based on the video game. Spin offs of that and likely meant to prompt the game. That might very well fall under the the video game brand rights. If this is being based off of the actual novels themselves and CD Projekt Red rights are with the video games then they wouldn't be included at all.

Do they own the IP outright or just the rights to the video game? Knowing this is important and there likely is a big difference. I've noticed a lot of things coming out about the The Witcher (board game, card games and comics) are being based on the video game. Spin offs of that and likely meant to prompt the game. That might very well fall under the the video game brand rights. If this is being based off of the actual novels themselves and CD Projekt Red rights are with the video games then they wouldn't be included at all.

Yeah, I would think if this studio can secure the rights to the actual book, they can use any characters/storylines from that book, but I don't know the degree of ownership that CDPR has.

Top Bottom