• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AAA arcade racers r dead

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
TrackMania 2020 is better than turbo in every area, and it's completely free if you don't care about the extra social crap.
I haven't played that one yet but I was also a huge fan of TrackMania 2 (although the model of separating the arenas into separate games was stupid. Much prefer a one-and-done approach like Turbo) and Nations. I'll check it out though.

Erdrick

I miss Ridge Racer so much. Nothing quite as exhilarating as speeding down a track, ease off a bit, turn the corner and just flooring it out of there while maintaining the drift. The first 4 games on the PS1 were so great. Once they moved to the PS2 onwards, having a 60FPS was a godsend. 7 was the first game I got for my shiny new PS3 and it was like the top-tier PSP one but on steroids. I never played 6 since I've never owned any X Box systems. Also never played the Nintendo-made N64 version, nor the 3DS one. I did get RR Unbounded which felt... like a mishmash and not what I really wanted out of a RR game.

Ages ago, I used to work by a mall that had some multi-link cabinet of Ridge Racer. The popular consensus was always Daytona or Sega Rally then but maybe it's just the oldschool Namco games that they riddled the series with that I have such fondness for, but RR always grabbed me with the style and ESPECIALLY the music. It was so cool back then to race with some co-workers after work and that's one thing that consoles still can never replicate even with online play. Nothing quite like looking over at someone and giving them a smug smirk as you blow past them as they curse your name. Can't quite get the same effect at home.

It's funny that this came up, as I've been on a Rage Racer music kick again as of late. Listening to a 20th anniversary album right now. Not a good idea to listen to when driving however...

I'd buy RR8 in a heartbeat for the PS5, Namco. I don't even own the damn system yet, but I'll buy a new RR game regardless. It's been FAR too long.

Guilty_AI

I found out theres a game being developed called Street Tuning Evolution, which is based of an old game called Street Legal Racing: redline that had a strong fan base despite being a huge mess, solely because its concept was cool. Might be worth to keep an eye on

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I found out theres a game being developed called Street Tuning Evolution, which is based of an old game called Street Legal Racing: redline that had a strong fan base despite being a huge mess, solely because its concept was cool. Might be worth to keep an eye on

checked a vid of this , hope they polish it cuz i like the vibe this racer has

sainraja

Sounds like someone who hasn’t played them.

That’s bullshit. If you played them at all you could see the how the grip and traction combined with all the other concepts work to make it more arcade than sim.m
Forza Horizon doesn't really play like an arcade racer. It tries to bring the arcade experience closer to what the traditional Forza experience is (simulation, similar to Gran Turismo). FH games fit somewhere between what an arcade racer is and what games like the mainline Forza and Gran Turismo are.

I would not call FH games to be anything like the Burnout games. I wish that they were but they aren't.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

No, it was not. For this you need gazillion of other games that have the same aesthetically surreal graphics and arcadey gameplay. All racing games that aim to look as realistic as possible are generic.

Generic in terms of mediocre gameplay and track design.

Last edited:

GonSama

Give us an Initial D english game you cowards! :D

I don't know how EA still hasn't released a Burnout 3 Remaster/Remake...

kyussman

Imagine making Motorstorm,Motorstorm Pacific Rift,Motorstorm Apocalypse and Driveclub...and then getting shitcanned.Fucking lol,I'm a huge PlayStation fan but Sony were way off base with that decision as far as I'm concerned.Evo were super talented,they could have done anything....hell,they could have done a shiny new Wipeout for PS5....imagine that!
Sony threw an entire genre from their portfolio out the window.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I miss arcade racers.
I am currently down the rabbit hole of Sega racers.

Daytona USA on Saturn, Dreamcast, and 360.
-Saturn version is rough but the JP CE version still has charm.
-I never got into the Dreamcast version till now - the game is insanely good. No idea why i looked past it back then - I remember hating the controls - but they just take time to get used to. I love how it has the Saturn Circuit Edition tracks. Im just scratching the surface of the DC version so far.
-Daytona on 360 (BC compatible) is just a godsend. Very thankful to have this playable in all its HD glory.

Sega Rally on Saturn, Outrun 60fps mode on Saturn too. Infinitely replayable.
Outrun 2 and Coast to Coast on Xbox. Probably my personal favorite of all the Sega racers.

Beyond racing - this lineup is as good as GAMING gets.

This thread got me looking into trying some of the Ridge Racers I missed.
I have Type 4 and Rage Racer. I was going to get Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) but is V (Ps2) or 6 (Xbox) still worth playing?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I miss arcade racers.
I am currently down the rabbit hole of Sega racers.

Daytona USA on Saturn, Dreamcast, and 360.
-Saturn version is rough but the JP CE version still has charm.
-I never got into the Dreamcast version till now - the game is insanely good. No idea why i looked past it back then - I remember hating the controls - but they just take time to get used to. I love how it has the Saturn Circuit Edition tracks. Im just scratching the surface of the DC version so far.
-Daytona on 360 (BC compatible) is just a godsend. Very thankful to have this playable in all its HD glory.

Sega Rally on Saturn, Outrun 60fps mode on Saturn too. Infinitely replayable.
Outrun 2 and Coast to Coast on Xbox. Probably my personal favorite of all the Sega racers.

Beyond racing - this lineup is as good as GAMING gets.

This thread got me looking into trying some of the Ridge Racers I missed.
I have Type 4 and Rage Racer. I was going to get Ridge Racer 7 but is 6 still worth playing?
rage racer is the first one i played back in the day it has actually better progression than the other RR games on ps1.not a big fan of rr6 or 7

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Op are you high? Forza horizon is a superb arcade racer.
Hmmm. Have you played an arcade racer in the last decade? How many of them are open-world? How many of them require online? How many of them also make you look at every single detail of your car, with endless tweaks to tires, suspension, engine, brakes, blah blah blah.

There is no drop in and play aspect to that game. It’s a sim for people that say they don’t like sims but really want a sim anyway. Outside of the first few races, there was nothing quick or even enjoyable about FH4 for me.

It is a pretty game though. My gawd that game is gorgeous. I wish we can get a real arcade racer with those graphics.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
When there's people that say that Driveclub handling sucks, you know there's no hope for the genre.
old fans of arcade racers reading this thread be like
profileIcon_x88zvmnlm7t51.png

It’s nothing like the arcade racers of old though.

It’s a great game itself with sexy graphics and open world sandbox where you can modify any car and have fun as you don’t even have to win races. I find the racing dull and low skill though.
You can do all arcade racer stuff in Forza Horizon. From stunts to drifting. Everything is highly customizable from controls, cars to difficulty. Its top notch arcade racer.

sainraja

Imagine making Motorstorm,Motorstorm Pacific Rift,Motorstorm Apocalypse and Driveclub...and then getting shitcanned.Fucking lol,I'm a huge PlayStation fan but Sony were way off base with that decision as far as I'm concerned.Evo were super talented,they could have done anything....hell,they could have done a shiny new Wipeout for PS5....imagine that!
Sony threw an entire genre from their portfolio out the window.
Well, I agree with you that they should have kept the talent. But, ultimately, we lead to that decision. They got to make and publish many games under Sony and we just didn't go out and buy them (I did, but many others didn't.)

sainraja

You can do all arcade racer stuff in Forza Horizon. From stunts to drifting. Everything is highly customizable from controls, cars to difficulty. Its top notch arcade racer.

Lol, come on. The game is trying to bridge the gap between the two game styles but it does not make the game an arcade racer. The way the cars controls, the damage, the boost working, etc are very different in arcade racing games. FH doesn't have that.

Last edited:

drotahorror

You should try out NFS Rivals before completely writing them [NFS series] off. In my opinion, the arcade racing controls haven't been better in NFS until the Burnout/Ghost team started working on them.
Rivals was VERY good and the best NFS since Most Wanted 2005 idgaf. the biggest drawback to me was forced waiting while being explained everything. For reference my favorite modern arcade racers is the Motorstorm trilogy. I grew up playing Cruis'n, RUSH, and Daytona USA in the arcades. Retro ones, I would go for NFS High Stakes and NFS 3 Hot Pursuit.

The PS2 era saw tons of interesting titles like Freekstyle, great rally games like WRC Rally Evolved, Burnout series, SSX 3 and Tricky, there was really something for everyone no matter what sort of driving/riding they enjoyed.

PS3/360/wii was pretty good and obviously the generation of my favorite series, Motorstorm.

Arcade racers don't sell now. Dirt 5 is a piece of shit ruined by the developer, no vision. Driveclub was godlike at the time but going back to it, I don't encounter the same fun factor as I used to have. Nothing like Motorstorm, hop in anytime and it's fun as hell. Futuristic racers have been pretty great though with Redout, WIpeout remaster and Fast RMX. Forza Horizon 3 and 4 were awesome but once again, if I go back to FH4 it feels really dull and aimless. I don't know what can bring me back to open world racing, they're all copy/paste now. NFS Heat was a poor mans forza horizon.

I think if any game can revive the genre it's Burnout.

Until then I'll keep playing Motorstorm games on PS3 and eagerly anticipate them being emulated one day properly.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Lol, come on. The game is trying to bridge the gap between the two game styles but it does not make the game an arcade racer. The way the cars controls, the damage, the boost working, etc are very different in arcade racing games. FH doesn't have that.
So an arcade racing game is a game only with ultra "floating" physics with cars with almost no weight and very very fast?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man i forgot about this :messenger_loudly_crying:
I didn't buy it at the time and now it's lost forever for whatever reason. I hate digital so much dammit.
You can still get Supermini Festa for the Wii though. It is much worse, not nearly as snappy and fun to play, and lacks speed. Graphics were dated even for a Wii game. It does have more content though, that's at least something.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So an arcade racing game is a game only with ultra "floating" physics with cars with almost no weight and very very fast?
Maybe the "problem" here is, that there are too many types of racing games now and we put them all into different categories. We used to keep it simple, there was realistic/sim and arcade.

Now we got hardcore sim (Assetto Corsa), semi-sim (GT and Forza), arcade sim (Grid), arcade (Need for Speed), and classic arcade (Ridge Racer).

I don't mind the variety at all, I just don't like that racing games with a higher budget are mostly in the sim category. It what the market aka. the people demand as those type of games kept on selling less and less (I remember that Split/Second and Blur flopped and it was such a bummer.), but I think someone in the AAA market should give it a proper attempt. At least we got some decent arcade racing games in the A, AA, and indie market.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the arcade racers back in the day were so popular that they were launched with new consoles just to show the technical capabilities of a system.

magaman

Banned
You've convinced us all :messenger_ok:
I'm glad you aren't the president of a gamedev company, because your emotions would cloud your judgment enough to run your studio into the ground to die on a hill that no one cares about.

There's a reason why no one wants to build a AAA arcade racer. They don't sell. Why don't they sell? Because no one gives a shit.

I'm glad you aren't the president of a gamedev company, because your emotions would cloud your judgment enough to run your studio into the ground to die on a hill that no one cares about.

There's a reason why no one wants to build a AAA arcade racer. They don't sell. Why don't they sell? Because no one gives a shit.
Such ironic and hyperbolic statements from you. Take a nap.

Goldpanda94

Neo Member
Dangerous Driving came out a couple years ago and is an okay effort to recapture Burnout 3 down to like recreating the UI and structure and feel of the driving. It's pretty average and kinda clunky but it scratched that Burnout itch I had for a little bit especially with Road Rage mode and Burning laps.

I never realized it but Burnouts soundtrack really plays a large role in the overall feel of the game. DD doesn't have the licensed soundtrack and the experience feels kinda hollow without it haha.

sainraja

Generally, yeah, but it's not as simple as that now and another poster addressed this part better than I could have. You're missing my point but simply put, FH doesn't fully embrace what would make it an arcade racer in a complete way. I don't dislike games that are simulation or somewhere in the middle but have always enjoyed arcade racers more. For me, personally, I want to see full on damage, similar to how the Burnout series handled it.

sainraja

Here is a quote from the series creative director who describes what Forza Horizon was designed to be:
In an interview with Turn 10's creative director Dan Greenawalt, he stated the game was developed in close relation to real music festivals—namely Coachella—and that he envisioned a more relaxed game-play experience than other games in the Forza series, while keeping a more realistic handling style. Being the main theme of the game, a large focus of the game is on the festival itself and activities surrounding it, rather than just racing.
Arcade racers aren't that grounded to how a real car would handle. I've played Forza and I don't think they "drifted" that far from the series roots. ;p

Last edited:
Top Bottom