• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg - Family Sharing was not time limited

LTWheels

Then there's no reason for them to not let us share our Xbox One digital purchases with 10 different people, all of whom can play the entire game with no restrictions.

May be publishers have removed their the permission to allow such a feature with their games now that there is no DRM at all??

Zutroy

Implements DRM to combat second hand sales...'introduces' feature to share out 9 copies of one game.

Suuuuuure...common sense dictates they're talking shite.

inky

Sure it was Microsoft.

Used games are killing the industry but guaranteeing 10 people play with only 1 copy of the game wouldn't faze developers at all.

hal9001

Banned
tumblr_mgf80nWaj21qi1evuo1_500.gif

Buzzati

Banned
May be publishers have removed their the permission to allow such a feature with their games now that there is no DRM at all??

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. If Microsoft could ensure that there would be no second-hand market for games, publishers may have been more apt to accept the family-sharing plan.

Maybe.

Sure it was Microsoft.

Used games are killing the industry but guaranteeing 10 people play with only 1 copy of the game wouldn't faze developers at all.

Yeah, I cant believe anyone is seriously believing that something orders of magnitude worse than used games would be implemented

BigDug13

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. If Microsoft could ensure that there would be no second-hand market for games, publishers may have been more apt to accept the family-sharing plan.

Maybe.

No way. Used market doesn't potentially kill 90% of a game's sales. Some multiplayer titles wouldn't suffer but some single player game's sales would be decimated by an unrestricted game sharing program.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Implements DRM to combat second hand sales...'introduces' feature to share out 9 copies of one game.

and this plan can destroy a potential $540 in sales alone, If the people believe it wall the full game

Coxy

if this topic hadnt been posted I was going to bake everyone on gaf a cake.
See what you've done, you now owe everyone on gaf a cake.

BigDug13

Fortunately we have a cheaper product where going all DD is possible and even comprises great discounts and free games. It's called a PS4 with PS+.

After the first sentence, I thought you were going to say PC. Because it's more true there than on PS4.

Rebel Leader

The 45 minute rumour was based off of a pastebin post. Come one guys we're more intelligent than this. Anyway, who cares at this point, it's something that won't happen at least not at launch.

Uh, we are.

We trust CBOAT

To say that the supposed unlimited family sharing plan was diametrically opposed to MS' other DRM policies would be an understatement. Not believing Greenberg for a second.

Fortunately we have a cheaper product where going all DD is possible and even comprises great discounts and free games. It's called a PS4 with PS+.

Retail games are always going to be cheaper than digital day 1, which is when I buy most games I care about. I would have loved being able to just buy a game for £35-40 instead of £50 and tie it to a digital account and not worry about discs. But that got ruined :(

H3xum

Well of course they would say this now. Everyone remember this statement of his. Now they're locked into it if they bring some of the DRM back with digi titles.

also, #teamcboat

Raist

Banned
After the first sentence, I thought you were going to say PC. Because it's more true there than on PS4.

The "free" bit is important. I'm not talking F2P games here, just getting fairly recent games for free. I don't think there's any option for this on PC.

Angry Joe: "If you have multiple family members at a single time, you only buy one copy and you can have up to ten...?"

Major Nelson: "No, you have to think of it as a library, kinda like exactly as it works today. If you and I are a family, you're dad, I'm the son... you buy it, I can actually check it out and play it, and.. or you can play it. So, it's concuran... think of it as who's ever playing it... one person at a time, just like today".
The only clear word he used in there was 'no'.

jjasper

Yeah it really didn't make any sense. Especially since there were rumors that publishers were getting upset with the way things went down with the PSN sharing and it was only 4 shares. And the fact that they dropped everything and didn't allow these "awesome features" on digitally purchased games as some incentive for people to move over to DD makes all this really suspect.

Maybe.

Yeah right this is the company line they want you to believe. Family sharing is beyond crazy if it has no restrictions.

link1201

They didn't message it early, correctly or clearly. If it was this awesome new feature, they should have sat down with reporters and got it out there. They didn't, so a feature that seems more clearly defined after it's off the table is suspect to me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The only reason for the feature to exist in any form is to try and get people to be happy with the restrictions that would have came with their old system. No reason to give people shit for free for nothing.

Wouldn't you want to give incentive for people to buy a digital version they can't resell?
So, because they are not requiring the digital version for all titles, they are now not going to give any incentives like family sharing for digital downloads?

Sure, that's more likely...

Oppo

Sounds more to me like "See, SEE? This is what your shitty DRM campaign destroyed!"

That's actually just how I read it. Even if it didn't exist. They wanted to take their ball and go home. The ball they hadn't invented yet.

It was THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS, PLAYERS from Microsoft.

Coxy said:
if this topic hadnt been posted I was going to bake everyone on gaf a cake.
See what you've done, you now owe everyone on gaf a cake.
I love this post.

quickwhips

CBOAT Said 60Sigh it wasn't even like some stupid mess like he usually says so I don't think that is confirmation from CBOAT plus POP not shown. Guys not always right.

The 45 minute rumour was based off of a pastebin post. Come one guys we're more intelligent than this. Anyway, who cares at this point, it's something that won't happen at least not at launch.

Yes, we are more intelligent than this, that's why we used logic to figure out that Family Sharing was never going to give you free games and are now trusting a reliable source over a company that has been lying their ass off the last few months.

Delstius

"This feature was awesome with no DRM ! But let's dump it along with DRM".

It just doesn't make any sense if it was really a DRM-free feature.
If it was that good they would have been bragging about it everywhere making it a strong sell point.

PSGames

In an effort to get more money to the people making the games, you only have to buy one copy for ten people.

This is perfectly logical and makes sense in every way.
It's more granular than that. You could add 10 people to access your library but from my understanding only 1 of those 10 could access your library at a time AND it could'nt be the same game that the sharer is playing. This adds a bit of time management to the equation and deters people from buying one copy and dharing with 10.

Even without any sources. Ask yourself how much time Microsoft spend taking about this feature at E3.

Oh right none.. Unless asked.. Weird no??

This entire thing reeks of bullshit. Now after its been pulled I'm supposed to feel bad about losing it?

Nice try.

BigDug13

The "free" bit is important. I'm not talking F2P games here, just getting fairly recent games for free. I don't think there's any option for this on PC.

No, but overall the savings are there on PC. PS+ doesn't automatically have the free games you want, especially since you probably already are purchasing the games you wanted before then. PS+ is a good way to discover other games that you weren't buying.

It's a fantastic service though, don't get me wrong.

Rebel Leader

CBOAT Said 60Sigh it wasn't even like some stupid mess like he usually says so I don't think that is confirmation from CBOAT plus POP not shown. Guys not always right.

Watch the halo trailer, I really thought it was PoP until the last 10 seconds and went meh

Did you ever prove you leaked DR3 as a XBone exclusive a year ago, or was that just bullshit you made up to try & discredit CBOAT(which seems to be pretty much all have done recently)?

As good as the feature is, and therefore would be something I'd like to see implemented what makes a digital title any different from a physical copy in terms of the quality or availability of internet access.

Just because you digitally downloaded a title does not mean that you still have access to the internet every hour or 24 hours depending on what console you're playing on in the future.

That is what the 24 hour/hourly check was there for, to update the titles you have "permission" to play.

If you downloaded a title and then wanted to take your console to the cabin in the woods for a week or your internet went bust you'd be back at the original scenario of being without access to some of your games.
For digital downloads, there's no reason for the parole officer. All purchases are tied to your account, and to transfer ownership or enable sharing, you have to be online to do so. There's no discs floating around getting installed on multiple machines requiring the parole officer to check your account.

turnbuckle

Unless they do this for digital titles I'm gonna go ahead and believe CBOAT. Even without CBOAT's post there was no way I took their feature at face value. They were very sketchy about it and the idea that you could share a digital game with up to 10 other people and they could have full access to that game - and you to theirs - is completely unbelievable. That was far more generous than the generous sharing options Sony gave us early on with the PS3 and I believe that was cut down from 5 shared accounts to 2-3 (?) due to pressure from third parties.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
For digital downloads, there's no reason for the parole officer. All purchases are tied to your account, and to transfer ownership or enable sharing, you have to be online to do so. There's no discs floating around getting installed on multiple machines requiring the parole officer to check your account.

Yep, it makes no sense for this "AWESOME PLAN" to not be extended to Digital purchases.

Top Bottom