• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg - Family Sharing was not time limited

longdi

Banned
Shut up and just implement it.

If not, i hope the shareholders fire Greenberg, Mattrick, Spencer and Whitten.

Why do these new Xbox guys continue to treat gamers like idiots? They have been acting unpleasant, even their physical looks have that dishonest feel.

I ask you Xbox fans, do you feel Mattrick has brought the Xbox brand to a new level since he took over the helm?

Of course he's going to lie now that it's not happening.

"You know that feature we just cancelled, well, even though the guys in charge of it confirmed it was a 15 to 60 minutes trial, they were wrong, in fact it was full games for absolutely free. You also got free cake every time you logged in your family's games , and a full body massage by Don Mattrick. Shame all that is gone now, huh. It's your fault, not ours, entitled gamers that fear DRM "

inky

Yep, it makes no sense for this "AWESOME PLAN" to not be extended to Digital purchases.

Especially if they want to facilitate the move from physical to digital. "Hey guys, here is this awesome thing you are missing out with your discs, but if you buy digital..."

Makes no sense.

Jac_Solar

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. If Microsoft could ensure that there would be no second-hand market for games, publishers may have been more apt to accept the family-sharing plan.

Maybe.

Their reasoning for why used games are bad is that if someone buys a used game, they wouldn't buy it new. But how many owners do you think a used , physical game goes through? Probably not more than 2, or 3. Mostly 1.

Say someone sells 500 copies of a game. 20 people sell it, and 20 people proceed to buy it. 10 keeps the game, and 10 of those then sell it again, and 10 people buy it again. 5 of those then sell it again, and 5 people buy it. That's 35 lost sales.

Now, assume that they sell 500 digital titles, and 20 people share it with 10 friends on an online service. That's 200 lost sales. Not to mention the fact that there'd instantly pop up "groups" all over the place to take advantage of this service; if you could simply friend someone and play up to 10 games for free, that would result in far, far, far more people not buying games. Also, these titles could be easily shared at any time -- they'd very accessible for everyone. Used games on disc availability depends on someone selling it at a store. I think a lot more people would buy used games if they *knew* they could get a hold of it on launch day, or if they were easily accessible -- which seems to be what this service was supposed to do..

But how would the refreshing of games work? If someone has 20 games, could they replace the games on their shared list at any time or once a month or something? If you could simply friend someone that buys every game, there'd probably be tons of people who wouldn't buy any games anymore - if they have legal access to every game, what's the point of buying except for collecting? Which is almost irrelevant with digital titles. Or, you know, you could just join several groups that do not change their shared titles, and some that do update with the newest; that's basically as good as a digital collection.

Still trying to discredit CBOAT, huh? It's not working.

CBoaT HAS been wrong before. See PoP revival and Mirror's Edge 2 at the MS presser.

Or how about DLC getting a name change this gen?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=475971

Point is, shit changes. It's far more likely both CBoaT and Greenberg are right than one lying for no good reason. It was originally planned as demos, shit hit the fan, changed to full games, scrapped anyway.

Basically this. I don't believe a damn word out of anyone at that company anymore.

Yep, all 100,000 Microsoft employees are liers and can't be trusted.

For digital downloads, there's no reason for the parole officer. All purchases are tied to your account, and to transfer ownership or enable sharing, you have to be online to do so. There's no discs floating around getting installed on multiple machines requiring the parole officer to check your account.
Yes, but your family members would not be granted access to said material because unless they're online they will not get the updated list. Nor would you get anything your family members had purchased etc.

The same would go for if for any reason your access to a game was revoked for whatever reason.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
CBoaT HAS been wrong before. See PoP revival and Mirror's Edge 2 at the MS presser.

Point is, shit changes. It's far more likely both CBoaT and Greenberg are right than one lying for no good reason. It was originally planned as demos, shit hit the fan, changed to full games, scrapped anyway.

Yep, all 100,000 Microsoft employees are liers and can't be trusted.
No way in hell it would be full games.

"Why should I buy halo when I could just use the family share?"

Sales lost.

I didn't announce it I meant everyone knew it was coming. It wasn't shocking man.

The fact that DR3 was being made wasn't hard to guess, calling it as an exclusive so far out was not known by everyone & was not a rumour until CBOAT said so, why you felt the need to lie about it is beyond me, but I guess looking at your post history offers some clues.

xaosslug

It's not new news though, it was all over the other thread yesterday ;)

Besides, Greenberg is not beholden to MS PR, and he can say whatever he wants now that we'll never see that feature in it's original form.

ijtz4ZpA4k02t.gif

No way in hell it would be full games.

"Why should I buy halo when I could just use the family share?"

Sales lost.

Because only one person could play at once?

It wouldn't be an elegant scenario for playing new games. The feature's appeal would be more for playing older titles.

quickwhips

The fact that DR3 was being made wasn't hard to guess, calling it as an exclusive so far out was not known by everyone & was not a rumour until CBOAT said so, why you felt the need to lie about it is beyond me, but I guess looking at your post history offers some clues.

Capcom was doing alot of stuff with MS. I figured it was going to be next gen when off the record came out. So whatever.

beast786

now, in comparison . Do you want be to quote all the contradicting and mixed statement from MS side.

Lol

For digital downloads, there's no reason for the parole officer. All purchases are tied to your account, and to transfer ownership or enable sharing, you have to be online to do so. There's no discs floating around getting installed on multiple machines requiring the parole officer to check your account.

Yep, it makes no sense for this "AWESOME PLAN" to not be extended to Digital purchases.

Especially if they want to facilitate the move from physical to digital. "Hey guys, here is this awesome thing you are missing out with your discs, but if you buy digital..."

Makes no sense.

Of course there are reasons as to why it can't work right now. That feature assumed people would be online all the time so Ms could control that two people wouldn't play the same game at the same time. Now that online checks are out expecting it to work just the same just because the games are still digital doesn't make a lick of sense.

That doesn't mean they can never implement it again, but that's why there are keeping the door open saying that this feature might make a comeback in the future...

Averon

Unless they do this for digital titles I'm gonna go ahead and believe CBOAT. Even without CBOAT's post there was no way I took their feature at face value. They were very sketchy about it and the idea that you could share a digital game with up to 10 other people and they could have full access to that game - and you to theirs - is completely unbelievable. That was far more generous than the generous sharing options Sony gave us early on with the PS3 and I believe that was cut down from 5 shared accounts to 2-3 (?) due to pressure from third parties.

Exactly. Sony couldn't get 3rd parties on board with sharing when it was only 5 people and only PSN games. Yet we're suppose to believe MS would allow 10(!!!) people to share full $60 retail games and 3rd parties would be fine and dandy with it?

How stupid do they think we are? And how gullible do you have to be to believe what anything MS has to say about this now that it's dead?

badgenome

Retail games are always going to be cheaper than digital day 1, which is when I buy most games I care about. I would have loved being able to just buy a game for £35-40 instead of £50 and tie it to a digital account and not worry about discs. But that got ruined :(

I'm not understanding how this isn't more likely to happen now that they have to actually entice you to buy digital instead of strong arming you into doing so.

I'm not understanding how this isn't more likely to happen now that they have to actually entice you to buy digital instead of strong arming you into doing so.

Because they can't undermine retail.

Digital games are gonna carry on costing RRP day and date and they'll be undercut (in the UK at least) by retail every single time.

badgenome

Because they can't undermine retail.

Why not? They were getting ready to undermine retail completely by squeezing them out of the games market. That is, as I understand it, why Gamestop lowered the boom on them.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sony offering discounts for digital preorders (may have just been for PS+, but still) this generation. If next gen is going to be about transitioning even more to digital, I'd expect it to continue and for the discounts to increase. If MS is really serious about teh digitull fuetuerz they should try this!

Wouldn't this require a return of the check in? I'm pretty sure with that dead, any hope this had of getting off the ground for digital titles is dead too.

Why not allow people to opt in if the want or abstain if they don't want. Consumer choice!

I don't believe him. Pastebin and Cboat weren't the only people I heard the trial thing from. But, like people have said, if it exists - give it to digital games. I don't think anyone will get up in arms if a sharing feature required online check ins. Because those that don't want it can just not do it.

CBoaT is never wrong, sorry to break it to you.

Didn't he, along with famousmortimer, claim that MS were buying up the talking rights to as many third party games at E3 as they could? And as we saw, it was actually Sony who led the charge with talking points on third party titles.

Why not allow people to opt in if the want or abstain if they don't want. Consumer choice!

I don't believe him. Pastebin and Cboat weren't the only people I heard the trial thing from. But, like people have said, if it exists - give it to digital games. I don't think anyone will get up in arms if a sharing feature required online check ins. Because those that don't want it can just not do it.

Yeah, an opt in would be great, but I imagine they want to distance themselves from the whole check in/online feature as much as possible for the foreseeable future, so even if it is as described, we won't be seeing it for quite some time.

Nikodemos

This mess underscores a worrying question: what the shit is going on at Microsoft? This whole "yea but no but yea" makes them look completely clueless. Half-baked policies, hastily modified then dropped wholesale, some PR people saying one thing, others saying the opposite, a general vagueness of the whole strategy, wut happen? Did they truly believe they wouldn't be challenged this year by Sony, and they had until late '13-early '14 to smooth things out? Did they truly grow '05-Sony-complacent? Why? They never were as big as 2004-2005 Sony.

The 60 minute limit always existed, MS explained that it you tried to play a game on a different non originating console, you would need to check in every 60 minutes, 24hrs was only for the owners console, so the 60 min applied to all X1s on the planet, the 10 people which also had to be on your list for 30 days would have to get something more than what the general public would get, to me that's just common sense.

werks

Banned
LOL

Yea MS had agreements with all the pubs for 10 for 1 gamesharing. Love how the narrative went from "but won't some one think of the publishers" to "free games!" as soon as some half assed game sharing was announced.

I bet the pubs counldnt wait to make the next AAA single player game, only to have 10 people beat it in 10 days for $60. So much better than used games.

Why would Microsoft allow 10 people to play every copy of a game if their goal was to eradicate used games and implement draconian 24 hour online check-in DRM? This reeks of pure bullshit.

Some people are convinced it's going to be called Kinect. Have you heard that one?

I have not. You know, I haven't kept up on the rumors; I've heard a bunch of names.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/interview-aaron-greenberg-interview/

So he didn't know the name, I'm not seeing how this makes him less trustworthy than someone who told us to expect PoP at Microsoft's E3 presser and DLC would get renamed.

But hey, he works for Microsoft along with 97 thousand other liers. Let's doubt him instead of coming to a rational conclusion that both he and CBoaT are right and shit just changed.

So he didn't know the name, I'm not seeing how this makes him less trustworthy than someone who told us to expect PoP at Microsoft's E3 presser and DLC would get renamed.

But hey, he works for Microsoft along with 97 thousand other liers. Let's doubt him instead of coming to a rational conclusion that both he and CBoaT are right and shit just changed.
Things change and stuff gets pulled all the time. ME2 was still at E3, and I though the APC thing was already confirmed to have been used, even if it never made public.

N2NOther

Banned
CBoaT is never wrong, sorry to break it to you.

He just cited two things he was wrong about. So much for "never." "Rarely", "infrequently" even "Isn't most of the time" would be more accurate.

I'm not saying Cboat isn't credible mind you, I am saying that the statement that he is "never wrong" is an overstatement.

Carry on,

Top Bottom