• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg - Family Sharing was not time limited

Here's an example of why a company should explain the positive features of a device instead of only the ones consumers hate.

I don't believe Microsoft, but if it's true, why wouldn't they spend more time talking about these kind of cool features?

Either they weren't this good, or they have no idea what they're doing and this was the worst console reveal ever. I'm sticking with worst reveal ever.

Ramblin

Banned
If they had all the details down and it was that good they did a poor job of getting the message out. If they blame the fact that the details were still up in the air they should have waited. But what they've done, confused message, then turning around and saying it was awesome but not going to happen is twice as bad. Good job MS. I'll get one, but like the first xbox, it won't be until there's a price cut.

Name me someone I trust less about Microsoft than a microsoft exec.

EA....maybe?

But for real this silly.
We had this totally cool feature that would change everything that we just backseated at the reveal and E3 and replaced it with all bad news. You whiny gamers got your way and now fuck you.

I don't buy any of it. If it was any good at all they would of heralded it at the reveal or E3 like the second coming of Christ. But instead your lapping up tweets of what could've been.

Theres absolutely no reason they cant say we doing it as a opt-in now.

Ding-Ding

Its bollocks. 3rd party publishers went ape shit when Sony had 5 shares for a digital game. No way in hell would they offer 10 without restriction. Especially after they tried their best to nobble the 2nd hand industry to increase revenue.

This is just PR spin after weeks of PR disasters

jim2011

honestly I don't buy it, because if they were really serious it would still be available for Direct Download and XBLA titles.

They've mentioned nothing except saying the family share plan is gone.

They mentioned that they wanted some of their ideas to return in the future.

ypo

Oh cool. Now they'll just do it for digital only titles right? 10 people play for free. All the time all the way. Cool beans. You are honest and looks out for the consumers MS. Thank you.

cad-20130621-2dc88.png

CookTrain

Its bollocks. 3rd party publishers went ape shit when Sony had 5 shares for a digital game. No way in hell would they offer 10 without restriction. Especially after they tried their best to nobble the 2nd hand industry to increase revenue.

This is just PR spin after weeks of PR disasters

You don't think that if it was at all the case, the latter might be the trade-off for the former for publishers? "Hey guys, we think we can curtail second hand sales, but we're gonna need a pretty massive incentive to go along with it, so we're going to implement system-level game sharing"

Yeah, it's probably all cobblers, but what you said leans more towards it happening in my opinion, not less.

0xCA2

I believe him, but whatevs at this point.

They really should've spent time explaining this stuff (DRM, family plan, 24 hr), like at E3 or that May conference, instead of hiding it away. Huge miscalculation of what people care about on their part.

Ding-Ding

You don't think that if it was at all the case, the latter might be the trade-off for the former for publishers? "Hey guys, we think we can curtail second hand sales, but we're gonna need a pretty massive incentive to go along with it, so we're going to implement system-level game sharing"

Yeah, it's probably all cobblers, but what you said leans more towards it happening in my opinion, not less.

Do you think 3rd party publishers would effectively give away 10 copies for 1 purchase, just to put an end to the 2nd hand market.

Put it this way. Why would a publisher, who hates 1 copy of a game being sold on to another user, be happy about one copy being shared without restriction to 10 people

CookTrain

Do you think 3rd party publishers would effectively give away 10 copies for 1 purchase, just to put an end to the 2nd hand market.

Put it this way. Why would a publisher, who hates 1 copy of a game being sold on to another user, be happy about one copy being shared without restriction to 10 people

I think a lot of publishers would, if given the chance, ditch used sales for a sharing system that's not really "effectively giving away 10 copies for 1 purchase" given all the restrictions and hoops and everything. Especially for multiplayer games where suddenly people have had a taste of a game but they can't play it because they're at the back of a shared queue. That sort of thing drives sales as much as it stunts it, I'd wager.

Put it this way. If 1 person buys a game and encourages their friend who is iffy about the game to get on board as well, maybe they'll buy new, maybe they'll buy used, maybe they'll just borrow it. Under the new system, yes, they can now play it for free which covers the same amount of money as the publisher was getting in the second and third case but now if that person wants to own the game, their only recourse is to give money to the publisher.

The only way it would be worse for publishers is if everyone did start a concerted effort to spread buys around 10-man groups. The general populace just isn't that organised.

I believe him. We know that the 1 hour limit kicked in if you were offline, there would be NO reason to outline that fact if it was limited to an hour.

beast786

Didnt CBOAT said it was even going to get worse ?

I can't believe people believe MS giving extremely easy to encouraging 10 games to share. Especially if you look at there policies on other like on MS office.

Yes it all makes sense

CookTrain

This would've basically negated any gains from the whole no used games thing. I refuse to believe it.

Even if the revenue didn't move an inch in the gains and losses of changing to that system... they'd've moved the control from resellers to themselves. Given all the other over-reaching they're doing, is it really that much of a leap to think they'd consider that "worth it"?

beast786

Even if the revenue didn't move an inch in the gains and losses of changing to that system... they'd've moved the control from resellers to themselves. Given all the other over-reaching they're doing, is it really that much of a leap to think they'd consider that "worth it"?

it is a huge leap.

this process would make it extremely easy for consumer . Even people who hardly never share or buy /sell used games , but now with touch of a button with 10 people across US makes it extremely easy .without generating any revenue that used game market create which some at least goes back to buying games/console.

So in conclusion

You make sharing extremely easy for everyone and negate any revenue to yourself , developers, publishers and even GameStop.

ari

Banned
New thread for [not so new] news

https://mobile.twitter.com/aarongreenberg/statuses/348125219019436033

Xbox are really failing at clear messaging.
Hope they bring it back for DD only stuff
That's not fair now, the rumor was from a shit site and was dragged on by one of our members claiming to be in the know. No where else was that rumor been mentioned until it exploded that day.

Come to think about. No one else, even edge and other websites, never even mention this, and was very vocal about not being able to use this feature. Meaning that they was in the know and didn't found out about it like we did through Xbox support, also, the Xbox website description never even mentioned a timed game session. So bullshit.

Why? So the thread can just be people bitching and whining about something that isn't even happening anymore?

Put me on ignore m8
It was never happening anyway. And its not bitching and whining, it's taking the piss out of corporate liars like Greenburg. He, and MS, deserve to be ridiculed.

But hey, I'd love MS to do another 180 and do everything they intended. I want to see it happen. I want to see it go up against the PS4. Let the chips fall where they may.

It was never happening anyway. And its not bitching and whining, it's taking the piss out of corporate liars like Greenburg. He, and MS, deserve to be ridiculed.

But hey, I'd love MS to do another 180 and do everything they intended. I want to see it happen. I want to see it go up against the PS4. Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm talking about the DRM in general. Getting upset at me for saying I'm not opposed to it is pretty silly considering for the last month GAF has just been a circle jerk of people who are against it.

They mentioned that they wanted some of their ideas to return in the future.

Uh huh, but did they say why it couldn't be done now? Why is it being taken away? Makes no sense.

No one, not MS or any of their apologists have given a good reason as to why its not being implemented.

ari

Banned

MS has never stated this at all, it was a rumor from a unknown website. How can you backtrack on something you never said?

If it was such a fantastic feature meant to make up for the drm why not at the very least explain how it worked before shitcanning the whole thing. Makes no sense.

I'm talking about the DRM in general. Getting upset at me for saying I'm not opposed to it is pretty silly considering for the last month GAF has just been a circle jerk of people who are against it.

No, it's you getting upset that we ruined your hoped for golden age of DRM, and blaming us for the 180. If it's just a circle jerk opposed to it, by all means MS, go for it. Pretty please.

Thrakier

Of course not. You would've been able to let 10 other people play your digital games, so that game sales are just 1/10 in the future. On the other hand, you make DRM happen because used games. Well, that makes sense I guess. :)

I don't see why, when I can share digital games on (a) current gen console with members of my family, without any 24-hour check-ins.

On different consoles? Wouldn't one console be required to be online at all times in that scenario?

In any case, if this were to be brought back for digital games, some kind of online restriction or check in would be required. Either those who are accessing a shared library would have to be online at all times or you'd have to 'gift' the licence to someone and have go back online to reclaim the licence.

I'm just assuming tho.

KAL2006

Banned
If this was true, why not make a big deal out of it on their conference.

Like Jay-Z has said.

'we don't believe you, you need more people '

This thing you made us cancel, it would have been totally awesome I swear.

Yeah. That's been my position on the matter. Personally, I'm extremely skeptical that it would have worked anywhere near as well as some hoped, but for the sake of argument, let's say I believe that they had the best of intentions. Even then, there's no need to buy into the hype of a feature they're not implementing. Maybe it would have been great. We'll never know now because they chose not to move forward with that plan.

The amount of people taking Microsoft at their word about DRM is very troubling. If there was any clear benefit to having to always be connected they would have touted it from the beginning. Microsoft thought they could get away with it but they were very mistaken.

Top Bottom