• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg - Family Sharing was not time limited

Xanonano

So he didn't know the name

Not sure how you get that, seeing as he said earlier in the interview:
We have been using "Natal" and we have been keeping the real name confidential. We are now starting to use the real name in the speeches, assets, etc. as we do final rehearsals. That's been part of our plan from the beginning. The nice thing is we love the name. I think it'll make sense when you see it. For us, that come to E3 and cover this industry, it will be an easy transition to the new name.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why would Microsoft allow 10 people to play every copy of a game if their goal was to eradicate used games and implement draconian 24 hour online check-in DRM? This reeks of pure bullshit.

Exactly. Like do people honestly think publishers would be okay with this? Even if you're just letting two people share it, you're risking cutting your profits in half. Microsoft has deep pockets, but I don't even think they could get a big title game signed up for something like this.

The 60 minute trial things make WAY more sense, especially since Sony already does that now with a lot of titles on PlayStation Plus. In what world does any of this benefit publishers unless there is some type of limitation. Even the "only one person can play at a time" stuff is dangerous because people would coordinate to avoid having to pay $60 for a game. At least with the trial, you give people a taste and then they'd have to go pay to get more.

There is just no history or precedent that makes me think that any publishers big or small would let this go down. Sony tried, they had to pull back. We already know that the free games on PlayStation Plus are paid for by Sony by how many people they think will download it. And even those games are usually 12+ months old, after sales have trailed off for a title. But yeah, Microsoft was going to let me share a brand new $60 game with no restrictions. What a magical and wonderful new age of gaming. They're going to be coy about what the deal really was because now it has people begging for DRM just so they can see what was behind Door #1. It's nothing...

werks

Banned
I'm dissatisfied with how dated consoles feel compared to PCs. MS were doing something about it.

I'm sure once MS & pubs had pricing control of the used games market, prices would have lowered. Poor you having to pay the digital tax, would have been so much better if every one was screwed once the same price control that exists of DD titles came to physical titles.

Maybe you should ask yourself why DD on consoles are such a shit value. It's because they control the pricing without competition. Used game DRM would have exerted that same control since pubs would set the "fee".

Jomjom

Banned
Now that I think about it, you're probably right. If Microsoft could ensure that there would be no second-hand market for games, publishers may have been more apt to accept the family-sharing plan.

Maybe.

Incorrect. You're completely forgetting about "authorized resellers." There was still going to be a second hand maket, just on MS's terms.

I'm dissatisfied with how dated consoles feel compared to PCs. MS were doing something about it.

Yeah they were doing something about it, making it even more dated, taking us back to the days of divx.

reddmyst

They wouldn't admit the 60 min. limitation (after all it sounded like shit and nobody wants to admit that); and of course they're gonna give you an "official" answer and try and make people feel bad to make it the pro-consumers' fault.

A lot of people will eat that up.

Cboat is still legit IMO.

stew

Why don't they explain the feature?

It could still be "you can't share a game twice to two different friends, only one, and you and your friend cant' play this game at the same time".

We deserve more explanations.

Blueblur1

They wouldn't admit the 60 min. limitation (after all it sounded like shit and nobody wants to admit that); and of course they're gonna give you an "official" answer and try and make people feel bad to make it the pro-consumers' fault.

I was thinking the same thing.

PSYGN

And I didn't believe that they would actually try going with their DRM scheme. I don't know what to believe from Microsoft anymore.

LOL at this type of thought. Write everything off that MSFT says unless its been verified by the always transparent hero CBOAT. LMAO!

sono

Why is he talking about the past - doesnt it have the potential to confuse. I find MS very political in their behaviour. Its a consumer trust thing they dont seem to fully appreciate that. Move on..?

Fehyd

Banned
LOL at this type of thought. Write everything off that MSFT says unless its been verified by the always transparent hero CBOAT. LMAO!

CBOAT has a better track record than anyone at MS at the moment.

The amount of flip flopping MS has done in the last few weeks is astounding.

Jabba

Banned
All you have to do is the math and google Sony PSN game sharing. This tells you two things that fans of MS are not thinking.

1. Staggering potential loss of profit.

2. Unlike what they want to believe, the idea isn't new, yes, that other company tried it already. After a while, loss of publisher profits followed.
Idea limited based on those results.

Only way this works is higher live pricing for people opting into the plan. MS subsidising pubs or combination of both? (yeah right)How high the price would be? I don't have an idea.

Come to think, if Sony got wind of MS game sharing. They knew it wouldn't fly as MS wanted. Maybe this is one of the reasons their drm stance was the way it is.

Just speculation but Sony may have had a better picture overall on next gen based on PSN game sharing years before. Looks like it anyway. Could write a bigger post, someone will probably do better if they see what I'm saying. Been up all night.

StUnNeR H2K

How hard is it to explain things? Seems Microsoft's biggest problem is explaining things. Nothing at E3 was crystal clear, other than what games were coming to the system...

Foxix Von

So then why did MS comment that you could only play your games at a friends house for 60 minutes? I'm more inclined to believe cboat since his statement actually lines up with MS's stated policy.

Darryl

Banned
Why would Microsoft allow 10 people to play every copy of a game if their goal was to eradicate used games and implement draconian 24 hour online check-in DRM? This reeks of pure bullshit.

Your argument makes sense assuming they were actually focused on video games and turning a profit through video games. What has given you the impression that this is their end game? Personally, I thought this was an attempt to lock even more people into their ecosystem and help push stuff like W8 tablets and entertainment services. Imagine how the "10 friends get a copy" would work. You buy a copy. You want your friend to play. You push them to buy a console. They don't want a console, maybe they'll buy a W8 tablet to play with you. Maybe they'll buy a PC and register on Xbox Live. It's like a Pokemon model. You want your friend to play with you so you convince them to play with you. It works. Microsoft obviously doesn't give a shit about the home console market in the same way they historically have. Their moneyhatted games like Titanfall appear to be ecosystem wide products. Some supporting evidence right there.

So then why did MS comment that you could only play your games at a friends house for 60 minutes? I'm more inclined to believe cboat since his statement actually lines up with MS's stated policy.

Seems in line with how every message delivered by MSFT was muddled. One guy says one thing, another guy says another.

If you wanna argue that they didn't have the total facts laid out for all employees to understand and communicate to consumers, well then I'm all ears. Outright calling everything they say as "lies", well ... I'll be less inclined to engage your fanboy mindset. No rational person would argue the latter.

Froli

After following Microsofts bullshit this past weeks, are you really going to believe and trust their words?

jim2011

As good as the feature is, and therefore would be something I'd like to see implemented what makes a digital title any different from a physical copy in terms of the quality or availability of internet access.

Just because you digitally downloaded a title does not mean that you still have access to the internet every hour or 24 hours depending on what console you're playing on in the future.

That is what the 24 hour/hourly check was there for, to update the titles you have "permission" to play.

If you downloaded a title and then wanted to take your console to the cabin in the woods for a week or your internet went bust you'd be back at the original scenario of being without access to some of your games.

True but you could have a "shared library" and anything that you put into this shared library requires the online check. Therefore, you're giving up the right to play it without the online check until you decide to remove it from the shared library.

Edit: Also if they meant for 2 people to be able to play at once (the owner and someone else), this is even easier. The license is tied to both the account and system. Even offline, the system is licensed to play it. They just extend the account license to those on your family plan as well. They'll need to be online but you won't need to be.

True but you could have a "shared library" and anything that you put into this shared library requires the online check. Therefore, you're giving up the right to play it without the online check until you decide to remove it from the shared library.
Quite true.

What you say there is giving the consumer choice. You put it in that shared library and you need to be connected once a day or hourly if not your console.

Except, you also had a choice whether or not to buy a Xbox One when the same rules applied to physical discs so applying to digital games is no different from before.

It is very hypocritical to say "oh screw that I don't want to be online once a day or once an hour if I'm round a friends remove that archaic requirement at once!" but then say "oh but I am totally up for it if it is a digital download".

Alx

To be more precise, it's not 10 people playing a copy of a game... it's 10 people concurrently playing a copy of a game. The more people in the sharing group, the less convenient for them, since it raises the chances of not being able to play because the only seat is taken.
With only 2 persons in a group, it would be full sharing without inconveniences (not unlike what PS3 currently does, as I understand it), with more people it will increase the chances of people buying the game if they really want to play it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
to everyone saying but cboat said it was time limit, he has been wrong about numerous things in the past, most recently he has been wrong about a new prince of Persia being announced at e3 for xbone and being exclusive

Jac_Solar

Consoles are closed; one company owns and controls everything about it; PC's are open. There are several stores. You want Microsoft to have even more influence? If you could only get games through Microsofts digital shop, that would be very, very, very bad for gaming. Imagine the Metro, or whatever it's called, on Windows 8, but no games go on sale, or very, very rarely, and only a select, few, obscure titles, and the prices for big titles are jacked up to 70-80+ within a few years.

Consoles have to go open OS for digital only to work. One company can't have that much control over distribution -- especially not Microsoft.

Sean*O

MS reps need to STFU & GTFO. They are undoing any goodwill or forgiveness people were willing to extend for their DRM reversal. How do so many clowns get hired by that company these days? They are just oozing over with slime.

jim2011

As I posted in another thread. Marc Whitten also stated it was not time limited and that the idea of being time limited is silly.

nrPrtna.png

source: https://mobile.twitter.com/EvilFiek/status/348092801914912769?p=v

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
MS reps need to STFU & GTFO. They are undoing any goodwill or forgiveness people were willing to extend for their DRM reversal. How do so many clowns get hired by that company these days? They are just oozing over with slime.

no people need to stop believing shitty pastebin rumors.

pastebin was already banned on here just before xbox reveal

Soler

Banned
Retail games are always going to be cheaper than digital day 1, which is when I buy most games I care about. I would have loved being able to just buy a game for £35-40 instead of £50 and tie it to a digital account and not worry about discs. But that got ruined :(
dd is cheap in america

Exactly. Sony couldn't get 3rd parties on board with sharing when it was only 5 people and only PSN games. Yet we're suppose to believe MS would allow 10(!!!) people to share full $60 retail games and 3rd parties would be fine and dandy with it?

How stupid do they think we are? And how gullible do you have to be to believe what anything MS has to say about this now that it's dead?

Well, their “data points” do support such evidence.

Kuroyume

Banned
As believable as them saying they can't flip a switch to reverse their DRM or that they needed to kill the original XBOX's online to increase the friend's list.

Consoles are closed; one company owns and controls everything about it; PC's are open. There are several stores. You want Microsoft to have even more influence? If you could only get games through Microsofts digital shop, that would be very, very, very bad for gaming. Imagine the Metro, or whatever it's called, on Windows 8, but no games go on sale, or very, very rarely, and only a select, few, obscure titles, and the prices for big titles are jacked up to 70-80+ within a few years.

Consoles have to go open OS for digital only to work. One company can't have that much control over distribution -- especially not Microsoft.

Where did I say I wanted them to be digital sales only?

I want retail selling CD keys with glorified installation discs. But seeing as thats not happening now, it's not worth arguing about.

Top Bottom