• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Rodgers comes out in support of Colin Kaepernick

Some interesting commentary from Aaron Rodgers and very timely: just last week, legendary athlete (and Black activist turned Trump supporter) Jim Brown launched a sharp attack against Kaepernick's protest (which he previously supported) and accused him of "desecrating the flag and the national anthem"

Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers had this to say in a recent ESPN interview:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterpriseRodgers/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-unmasked-searching
The word "blackballed" is being used with greater frequency, though some people in and around the NFL maintain that the quarterback simply isn't very good. I ask Rodgers what he thinks, and he demurs at first, then says it would be "ignorant" to suggest Kaepernick's stance didn't play a role in his employment status.

A few weeks later, he reaffirms his point. "I think he should be on a roster right now," he says. "I think because of his protests, he's not."

Rodgers tells me that while he doesn't plan on sitting out the anthem, he believes the protests -- which he describes as peaceful and respectful -- are positive, mentioning that he's had conversations with a new teammate, tight end Martellus Bennett, about the issues they represent. "I'm gonna stand because that's the way I feel about the flag -- but I'm also 100 percent supportive of my teammates or any fellow players who are choosing not to," he says. "They have a battle for racial equality. That's what they're trying to get a conversation started around."

I ask him what he thinks about that battle -- the actual subject of Kaepernick's protest. As always, he pauses to collect his thoughts. "I think the best way I can say this is: I don't understand what it's like to be in that situation. What it is to be pulled over, or profiled, or any number of issues that have happened, that Colin was referencing -- or any of my teammates have talked to me about." He adds that he believes it's an area the country needs to "remedy and improve" and one he's striving to better understand. "But I know it's a real thing my black teammates have to deal with."

For anyone who forgot, Aaron Rodgers went to Cal. Yes, the University of California at Berkeley. That one. He's making his alma mater proud too.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
More need to speak up. It's weird not watching any football all preseason or having a fantasy team or two, but I am going to stick with it throughout until he is signed. I did just find out through conversation that my boy Spencer ware is out for the season . That will suck for my Chiefs.

Davide

I really don't have much sympathy for Colin Kaepernick since he didn't even vote for Hillary and equating her to Trump.

psyfi

Banned
Trump supporters out here having "free speech rallies" all over the country but can't stop crying when Kap takes a knee.

Glad to see more people sticking their neck out to support him.

diehard

Fleer
Trump supporters out here having "free speech rallies" all over the country but can't stop crying when Kap takes a knee.

Glad to see more people sticking their neck out to support him.

Is he sticking his neck out though? He has the privilege of actually being good.

This almost makes up for him treating cancer patients like trash.

Oh shut the fuck up. That story was a crock of shit and anyone with any common sense can see that. Even the cancer patient herself said she was shocked by the controversy & that Rodgers had signed her jersey just the week before.

Is he sticking his neck out though? He has the privilege of actually being good.

He doesn't have to fear getting blackballed or anything, but people will definitely be pissed. There's a reason why you don't hear many speak out about this. And Rodgers is the first elite QB to speak out in support of him.

Davide

One extra vote in Cali sure would have helped!

"It was embarrassing to watch that these are our two candidates. Both are proven liars, and it almost seems like they're trying to debate who's less racist. And at this point ... you have to pick the lesser of two evils. But in the end, it's still evil."

"You know, I think it would be hypocritical of me to vote. I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I'm not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn't going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression."

"I mean, you have Hillary who's called black teens or black kids super predators. You have Donald Trump who's openly racist. I mean, we have a presidential candidate [Hillary Clinton] who's deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."

Kaep is better than any back up the Packers have. Aaron should exert some influence on his team and put his money where his mouth is.

Honestly, the Packers have arguably one of the best backup QBs in the league right now & a very solid third stringer. There's no reason for them to sign Kaep, as much as I'd like to see it happen.

Fucking finally.

It's only when the LeBrons and Brady Rodgers of the world step up that it becomes okay for other role players to step up without risking their livelihoods.

Hilary and Trump have what to do with Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice.....?

I agree with Kaep's protest, but telling progressives to abstain from voting against the likes of Trump is terrible, terrible advice. We've seen how well that's worked out for well... everyone.

C4Lukins

It's good he said that but it would do a lot more good if he didn't stand for the anthem.

Bull shit. Rodgers explains it in his own words why he will continue to stand. Just because you support someone's efforts, does not mean you have to join their cause, or protest the flag.

I am not a Rodgers fan, but good for him for having a level of empathy for someone he may disagree with. We could use more of that.

I'm not going to pass judgement on someone that still wants to stand for the anthem even though were I (a white man with all the privilege that entails) in that situation I would kneel in solidarity but I sure as hell appreciate Aaron for speaking up.

Hopefully it'll lead to other marquee athletes in the NFL doing the same so we can finally be done with this bullshit dog whistle "it's disrespecting the flag" argument I'm still hearing parroted today by talking heads and racist assholes in social media. Its a shame it'll take some white teammates standing up for them to quiet this but I do honestly think it would change the conversation

cdyhybrid

Bull shit. Rodgers explains it in his own words why he will continue to stand. Just because you support someone's efforts, does not mean you have to join their cause, or protest the flag.

I am not a Rodgers fan, but good for him for having a level of empathy for someone he may disagree with. We could use more of that.

He didn't say he had to do it.

He said it would be a lot more effective if he did. Which is true.

Slayven

A lot of players getting "woke" I wonder how much is because they got a collective bargaining agreement to talk about in a few years?

I don't understand what it's like to be in that situation. What it is to be pulled over, or profiled, or any number of issues that have happened, that Colin was referencing -- or any of my teammates have talked to me about.
I love this quote. It's too true.

norm9

What does he feel about the flag and what's happening out there in the country that makes him want to stand?

Good for him though for the verbal support. Not enough AAA dudes doing it.

norm9

So just like people have diminished Colin's protest to be about 'disrespecting the flag' you're trying to diminish it by talking about voting for Hilary Clinton

Look, it's just plain stupid to not vote. It was idiotic for him to not vote. I've gotten over that part of Kaep's total package. I support him now, but Ill still criticize his not even being registered to vote.

Davide

So just like people have diminished Colin's protest to be about 'disrespecting the flag' you're trying to diminish it by talking about voting for Hilary Clinton
I was all for him exercising his constitutional right to kneel doing the anthem, but his comments afterwards equating both candidates really diminished his "stand" for me.

Voting is more effective and important than taking a knee during the anthem. I'm a Canadian and I hate hearing about Americans not taking their chance to vote.

Yazzees

I was honestly under the impression that you wouldn't be able to find a single white NFL player, even with a mind-reader device, who agrees with Kaep. Every survey of the league's politics that I've seen has been pretty overwhelming.

C4Lukins

He didn't say he had to do it.

He said it would be a lot more effective if he did. Which is true.

But he does not agree with Colin. So yeah if you want to split hairs, yes it would have been more meaningful if he agreed with Kap, and expressed that. But he does not lend support to the actual message, he supports the right to protest, and believes Kap is a good enough QB that he should have a job.

cdyhybrid

But he does not agree with Colin. So yeah if you want to split hairs, yes it would have been more meaningful if he agreed with Kap, and expressed that. But he does not lend support to the actual message, he supports the right to protest, and believes Kap is a good enough QB that he should have a job.

Well, actually...

I ask him what he thinks about that battle -- the actual subject of Kaepernick's protest. As always, he pauses to collect his thoughts. "I think the best way I can say this is: I don't understand what it's like to be in that situation. What it is to be pulled over, or profiled, or any number of issues that have happened, that Colin was referencing -- or any of my teammates have talked to me about." He adds that he believes it's an area the country needs to "remedy and improve" and one he's striving to better understand. "But I know it's a real thing my black teammates have to deal with."

Paskil

I was all for him exercising his constitutional right to kneel doing the anthem, but his comments afterwards equating both candidates really diminished his "stand" for me.

Voting is more effective and important than taking a knee during the anthem. I'm a Canadian and I hate hearing about Americans not taking their chance to vote.

I am still all for his right to kneel and support that right. The fact that he didn't vote bothers me but normally wouldn't be a big deal in a state like California. What DOES bother me is that the same ballot he sat out had marijuana legalization on the ballot, something that had failed previously and disproportionately impacts blacks. To say that voting doesn't matter when something that significant that directly lines up with some of your goals is on the ballot is fucking idiotic.

Also, read this earlier today and even though I don't really watch football anymore, proud to be a lifelong Wisconsinite (and I guess by default, still a Packers fan).

He doesn't have to fear getting blackballed or anything, but people will definitely be pissed. There's a reason why you don't hear many speak out about this. And Rodgers is the first elite QB to speak out in support of him.
You werent lying. #MAGA twitter is already foaming at the mouth over it.

No offense to him but unless he makes a gesture on the field this doesn't mean much. "I empathize with the cause, but not enough to actually do anything."

norm9

No offense to him but unless he makes a gesture on the field this doesn't mean much. "I empathize with the cause, but not enough to actually do anything."

Kinda how I feel. Here's a guy that can actually protest with others and the owners/nfl can't fuck with, but...

woolley

I really don't have much sympathy for Colin Kaepernick since he didn't even vote for Hillary and equating her to Trump.
It's not that he didn't vote for Hillary is that he didn't vote. He isn't obligated to vote for her but there are other things he could have voted for that support his cause.

Jombie

Fuck any of these pseudo patriots who bitch about people protesting and claim it's unpatriotic or shitting on the flag.

Top Bottom