• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty and Sacred Symbols Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meifu

Does anyone listen to this weekly? I really enjoy the long form takes but I have to say more and more recently Colin has become really annoying to listen to. He might be the most juvenile Playstation fanboy I've ever seen.

Dude refuses to play anything that's not on playstation, hails Farcry 6 as his game of the year, while won't play elden ring or tears of the kingdom as he finds from soft too hard and botw/totk aren't real Zelda games to him. Meanwhile he is hailing FF16 as the like greatest game he's played in years. He will never admit he is wrong, i.e the Activision Deal going thru bc it helps MSFT, and will have a segment about him being right about everything.

I do like him most of the time but the vainglorious Playstation brow beating is such a bizarre thing to listen to in between generally sane takes. Also his co hosts Chris and Dustin seem utterly terrified to to disagree with him on anything.

Idk, it's just so bizarre how he will poopoo on anything that isn't playstation first party. Like this guy actually thinks horizon is at the peak of gaming

Success

Does anyone listen to this weekly? I really enjoy the long form takes but I have to say more and more recently Colin has become really annoying to listen to. He might be the most juvenile Playstation fanboy I've ever seen.

Dude refuses to play anything that's not on playstation, hails Farcry 6 as his game of the year, while won't play elden ring or tears of the kingdom as he finds from soft too hard and botw/totk aren't real Zelda games to him. Meanwhile he is hailing FF16 as the like greatest game he's played in years. He will never admit he is wrong, i.e the Activision Deal going thru bc it helps MSFT, and will have a segment about him being right about everything.

I do like him most of the time but the vainglorious Playstation brow beating is such a bizarre thing to listen to in between generally sane takes. Also his co hosts Chris and Dustin seem utterly terrified to to disagree with him on anything.

Idk, it's just so bizarre how he will poopoo on anything that isn't playstation first party. Like this guy actually thinks horizon is at the peak of gaming

You are not the intended audience.

Better to find a different podcast which has a host you can relate to more.

Interfectum

I genuinely enjoy their podcast(s), but it appears to me that Colin's major issue is that he has surpassed his interest in PlayStation without realizing it. His views on gaming and the industry are highly valued, yet he persistently limits himself to the Sony sphere, despite his audience desiring a more extensive commentary. Rather than exploring options like Steam Deck or the latest Zelda, he's preoccupied with earning trophies on Forespoken. Of course, Colin has every right to pursue his interests, but this doesn't necessarily align with what his fans are seeking.

Dustin and Chris play a crucial role in maintaining equilibrium, but their contributions are constrained considering the podcast is largely focused on PlayStation.

Meifu

You are not the intended audience.

Better to find a different podcast which has a host you can relate to more.
Mmmm okay. So you are saying I can't like something and notice a change and criticize it? I have to have no issues with something to be a listener? Bad take

Thirty7ven

Banned
Are you fucking kidding?

The guy dogs on PlayStation all the time. It’s a PlayStation podcast and you want him to talk about playing Xbox and Switch?

The show is called sacred symbols, it’s a niche.

Go watch defining Duke if you want to watch two brand shills jerking off for three hours.

Also he never said the ABK deal would be approved or not, he simply said COD won’t go anywhere and did an analysis of the hearing emails that did expose just what kind of business MS is running.

You are barking at the wrong tree my man. Chris constantly wears Halo branded clothes, talks about playing Xbox more than PlayStation, for some reason, and even went as far as saying MS buying ABK is good because of China. Come on now.

Last edited:

Senua

I don't listen too often but I always enjoy when I do, but yea I think the co-hosts help a lot with a wider view of the industry. Also I've heard him admit he was wrong about the PS4 pro on the last podcast I listened to (he thought it was a bad idea). I like Colin but yea he should definitely get a gaming PC or something, would be neat to see him broaden

diffusionx

Gold Member
I used to, but hopped off once it became 4 hours of droning, mindless garbage every week.

Colin's taste in games is, yea, pretty horrible, but that wouldn't keep me from listening.

Last edited:

schaft0620

You have to understand everyone is going to have different tastes.

I do skip until they start talking about games.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

I like Colin because he refused to back down when the mob came after him. Other than that, I've found him kind of insufferable ever since this video:

The segments where he is filmed while walking on the streets are especially annoying.

Meifu

Are you fucking kidding?

The guy dogs on PlayStation all the time. It’s a PlayStation podcast and you want him to talk about playing Xbox and Switch?

The show is called sacred symbols, it’s a niche.

Go watch defining Duke if you want to watch two brand shills jerking off for three hours.

Also he never said the ABK deal would be approved or not, he simply said COD won’t go anywhere and did an analysis of the hearing emails that did expose just what kind of business MS is running.

You are barking at the wrong tree my man.
Sure he dog PS sometimes. But he views the other brands as literal dirt at times. And you are 1000% wrong on ABK, our boy guaranteed this shit wouldn't go thru several times. And sure it's niche, but you're missing my point. Of course a PS podcast is going to be favoring PS, but Colin in particular acts as if other platforms don't exist. Almost any other podcast focused on one platform still will at least discuss other releases

YuLY

Used to like him a lot, but the last few 2-3 years his PS fanboy style got really irritating, and this is coming from someone who is primarily a pc gamer. You just cant trust anything he says regarding PS or xbox, cause you know hes one of the biggest fanboys on the planet.

Meifu

Think alor of people are missing the point of this thread. You can be a fan of SS and Colin, I am too! Im just touching on the discussion point of his fanboysim somewhat diluting the discord of his podcast, which I believe is a valid complaint and several others here seem to agree with.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I genuinely enjoy their podcast(s), but it appears to me that Colin's major issue is that he has surpassed his interest in PlayStation without realizing it. His views on gaming and the industry are highly valued, yet he persistently limits himself to the Sony sphere, despite his audience desiring a more extensive commentary. Rather than exploring options like Steam Deck or the latest Zelda, he's preoccupied with earning trophies on Forespoken. Of course, Colin has every right to pursue his interests, but this doesn't necessarily align with what his fans are seeking.

Dustin and Chris play a crucial role in maintaining equilibrium, but their contributions are constrained considering the podcast is largely focused on PlayStation.

It's pretty weird to hear someone criticize a PlayStation podcast for focusing too much on PlayStation.

The guy plays videogames on PlayStation. He makes that clear upfront. He has no desire to play on other platforms.

Success

Mmmm okay. So you are saying I can't like something and notice a change and criticize it? I have to have no issues with something to be a listener? Bad take

Similar to watching shows that you grow out of like Pokemon.

You seem to have outgrown Colin's show as you find his opinions more juvenile now.

I know it is hard to accept that the things you liked when you are younger are no longer the things you like when you are older.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sure he dog PS sometimes. But he views the other brands as literal dirt at times. And you are 1000% wrong on ABK, our boy guaranteed this shit wouldn't go thru several times. And sure it's niche, but you're missing my point. Of course a PS podcast is going to be favoring PS, but Colin in particular acts as if other platforms don't exist. Almost any other podcast focused on one platform still will at least discuss other releases

No I’m not wrong, he did not say the acquisition would go through or not, he always distances himself from the result. You are making shit up.

At least Colin doesn’t play Xbox/Switch games just so he can say how “underwhelming” or whatever those games were, like it constantly happens in other podcasts.

And so what, it’s a PlayStation podcast. Dustin and Chris talk about other games, there’s three hosts. Your criticism is both wrong and pointless.

It’s so funny because they are constantly criticizing PlayStation, yet you have a problem with him and this podcast but no other podcasts where people mostly stick to jerking off their favorite brand and making excuses.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Colin's always been kind of a self-important dick with an air of superiority about him despite regularly having pretty dumb opinions.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Last Stand Media and their content are my go to gaming podcasts.
Sacred Symbols and Defining Duke are great to listen to and they all have great chemistry together.

After losing interest in the Giantbombcast years ago, I eventually discovered Sacred Symbols when it was just Colin and Chris.

They've built up a great community and enjoy going on their discord.

Interfectum

It's pretty weird to hear someone criticize a PlayStation podcast for focusing too much on PlayStation.

The guy plays videogames on PlayStation. He makes that clear upfront. He has no desire to play on other platforms.
Did you read what I said? I'm saying he's outgrown PlayStation and doesn't know it. People value his opinion on all things gaming... it started with PlayStation but there is no doubt a demand for his opinions outside of that ecosystem.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Did you read what I said? I'm saying he's outgrown PlayStation and doesn't know it. People value his opinion on all things gaming... it started with PlayStation but there is no doubt a demand for his opinions outside of that ecosystem.
it sounds like it's a "other people" problem.

It's very clear what the podcast is, it's very clear what he wants to talk about. Just because other people want to hear him talk about stuff outside that doesn't really mean anything at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sounds like a miserable tool. FF16 has really high highs so i wont chastize him for it, but skipping TOTK is ridiculous. As a journalist or gaming podcaster, its his job to play all these games even if he doesnt like them. Whats he gonna do when starfield comes out? biggest game of the year. is he going to skip it?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sounds like a miserable tool. FF16 has really high highs so i wont chastize him for it, but skipping TOTK is ridiculous. As a journalist or gaming podcaster, its his job to play all these games even if he doesnt like them. Whats he gonna do when starfield comes out? biggest game of the year. is he going to skip it?
I kind of enjoy not having a desire to play TotK. Maybe I'll make it my thing.

Bridges

I don't even own a PS5 but I love the show. He's definitely got a PlayStation bias but he's very transparent about that. He hosts a PlayStation show of course he is going to prefer that ecosystem.

I disagree that the co-hosts are terrified to disagree, it happens all the time. Even recently with the ABK acquisition stuff.

I disagree with a lot of his takes but I still find him to be one of the more rational voices in the space. Defining Duke, Consultation and Punching Up are also all great listens. I had Constellation on right now as I found this thread.

Meifu

Some people heated in here and making up shit l, def seems like I hit a sore spot
d9VRHGx.png

Last edited:

Rockman33

Overall I really like sacred symbols. Colin does have some takes that I definitely don’t agree with. You named some of them. (Really don’t understand why he’s so high on forbidden west specifically)

Because I value his opinion I do wish he would venture outside of the playstation ecosystem for the big games. I find it important to have a understanding of what the competition is doing in order to effectively judge what your primary brand is doing.

I will argue though that when he is wrong he always admits to it and eats crow.

Interfectum

it sounds like it's a "other people" problem.

It's very clear what the podcast is, it's very clear what he wants to talk about. Just because other people want to hear him talk about stuff outside that doesn't really mean anything at all.
What this indicates is that Colin's fan base is expanding beyond just PlayStation enthusiasts. His company even initiated a Nintendo podcast despite his previously stated lack of interest. The gap that needs to be bridged here is Colin's active participation in these other podcasts. There's evidence of his softening stance, with more frequent SSxDD podcasts coming up.

Ultimately, Colin is free to chart his own course. He's established a highly successful enterprise and has the liberty to focus solely on PlayStation content if he so chooses.

Your defensiveness is puzzling to me... this is merely a consequence of Colin's soaring popularity.

I don't understand. You're calling him a fanboy for talking about playstation on a PlayStation podcast?

Obviously there will be some overlaps with other games/consoles but I don't get what you are actually expecting? I don't listen often (4 hours is wayyyy too long for me to listen every week). But a heavy amount of the episodes he, as well as Dustin and Chris grill playstation. Hell, Chris seems more like a PC/Xbox type of player most of the time when he talks about what he's playing or interests him.

Even in your point if saying he has no interest in playing ER or ToTK, who says he has to? That doesn't make him a fanboy, people have different taste in games.

Roberts

At the moment I have no interest in PS consoles and I find him annoyingly smug, humorless and devoid of any charisma, but I don’t really see a problem with him being obsessed with Sony. I mean, it’s a PS-centric podcast, isn’t it?

He also seems to be very popular so a lot of people seem to dig him and his thoughts on gaming.

Last edited:

Meifu

This is another great example. He's a PS guy l, I get it. But he's lying to us when he says he's not interested, he will stay away from Starfield 100000% because it's Xbox property now. Youre lying if you say he's not interested, bc Fallout 3 is one of his all time games. That's the crux of my issue, why are you sticking to fanboysim over just playing whatever you want?

Astray

Gold Member
Dustin is the one that adds value to that podcast imo, very fun to listen to and actually adds a unique perspective. Chris can be replaced by an AI bot that's trained on r/Games and it would do largely the same job imho.

Adam_802

Yeah Colin is kind of a ps fanboy but he's also pretty fair a lot of the time.

And either way I still love Last Stand Media in general. One of the only gaming podcast channels I can actually stand to listen to.

His success also pisses off all the idiots who failed to 'cancel' him lol so that's good.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What this indicates is that Colin's fan base is expanding beyond just PlayStation enthusiasts. His company even initiated a Nintendo podcast despite his previously stated lack of interest. The gap that needs to be bridged here is Colin's active participation in these other podcasts. There's evidence of his softening stance, with more frequent SSxDD podcasts coming up.

Ultimately, Colin is free to chart his own course. He's established a highly successful enterprise and has the liberty to focus solely on PlayStation content if he so chooses.

Your defensiveness is puzzling to me... this is merely a consequence of Colin's soaring popularity.
It's not defensiveness. It's just bizarre to me that people demand things of other people that they don't want to give, and then claim that the problem is not the demand but the lack of acquiescence.

Dustin is the one that adds value to that podcast imo, very fun to listen to and actually adds a unique perspective. Chris can be replaced by an AI bot that's trained on r/Games and it would do largely the same job imho.
My thoughts exactly. Chris adds nothing to the show. Dustin pushes back on Colin’s opinion quite a bit and I think he is the voice of reason on the podcast.

Astray

Gold Member
My thoughts exactly. Chris adds nothing to the show. Dustin pushes back on Colin’s opinion quite a bit and I think he is the voice of reason on the podcast.
They both have great chemistry imo, and Dustin is a One Piece fan too which gives him extra marks in my book. Colin has a lot of knowledge about how the games journalism and gaming industry works and that's actually adding something.

Chris is ok, but his absence has never ruined an episode, nor has his presence enhanced it, he is merely present and reacts to stuff.

I tried out some Defining Duke episodes and the show is good, but just needs more events to make it pop (Starfield launch will make a good ep whether it's good or bad imo).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve heard about this guy for years, but I’ve learned absolutely nothing from him. His name keeps popping up. I’ve been a fan of Sony since PS1 and the tribalism with his name nerves me.🤷‍♂️ what does he do that’s good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom