• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Rodgers comes out in support of Colin Kaepernick

Enzom21

Bull shit. Rodgers explains it in his own words why he will continue to stand. Just because you support someone's efforts, does not mean you have to join their cause, or protest the flag.

I am not a Rodgers fan, but good for him for having a level of empathy for someone he may disagree with. We could use more of that.

On "both sides" am I right?

D i Z

Bull shit. Rodgers explains it in his own words why he will continue to stand. Just because you support someone's efforts, does not mean you have to join their cause, or protest the flag.

I am not a Rodgers fan, but good for him for having a level of empathy for someone he may disagree with. We could use more of that.

Where's the disagreement?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Huge Packers fan. This made me so fucking happy. More white athletes need to speak out and stand up for what's right. Kaep should absolutely be on a team right now. Dude has natural god given talent.

Goodstyle

I think Kaep's position on voting is the dumbest fucking thing, but it doesn't remotely diminish what he stood (knelt) for.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Im happy aaron spoke up. But reading the comments on sportscenter ig and fb have me somewhat furious.

For every good comment, theres 3 bad ones.

America needs help.

geestack

aaron rodgers is a woke bae

jokes aside, he seems very inquisitive, curious, and empathetic. the profile mentions how cautious he is with words, so it's clear that he takes the time to think through his thoughts and consider the ramifications of his words. he is a very good human being, not just an elite athlete

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's not that he didn't vote for Hillary is that he didn't vote. He isn't obligated to vote for her but there are other things he could have voted for that support his cause.
Yeah. "I didn't like either candidate" doesn't hold water when the ballots during the presidential election had lots more on them than just that one election.

I support the larger statement Kaep is making, but goddamn did he kneecap it with that foolishness.

That's my quarterback
tocry.png

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I love this quote. It's too true.

Yeah I really liked how he put that. Way back in college in the mid-'90s when I was first learning about the realities of the black experience in America and why I didn't know shit about it because it's just not a thing the majority of white people ever encounter, one of the things my professor said always stuck with me: "You can never understand what it's like to grow up black in America, but you have to always remember it's not the America you grew up in." I try to keep that lesson of "You can't understand, but you must be aware" in mind at all times.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I was honestly under the impression that you wouldn't be able to find a single white NFL player, even with a mind-reader device, who agrees with Kaep. Every survey of the league's politics that I've seen has been pretty overwhelming.
There have been a few white players that have stood next to kneeling black players with their hand on their shoulder in solidarity. None have actually kneeled yet, to my knowledge, but support seems to be trickling through.

G-Unit

Wish he was a niner. As far as kap, I wish h3 did it different and with a better timing. I respect his inner intention but I remember feeling, you needed to do this when you were the star of the team, not when we are struggling and we needed to focus. So whe he had a lot less to lose, he became the focus topic, and he wasn't even playing. And he wasn't great to beging with, I always hated his pitcher style throw. Yet he seems like a really nice human

I really don't have much sympathy for Colin Kaepernick since he didn't even vote for Hillary and equating her to Trump.
I don't care at all if he votes for a president.

The important thing here is that he didn't vote at all. His protest was a call for change in America. Kinda hard to make changes when he didn't even bother to take action himself.

Ishan

props to him for speaking out ... dont agree with ppl calling him to do the same . The guy ackowledges he has not experienced it his teammates have and he respects that he has not lived their lives and thus also respects their viewpoint and protests. Seems like a smart nuanced person who is open to ideas.

Nice..that's pretty big. Absolutely need more high profile players to speak up.

That he should do more and sit for the anthem.

As in it is half hearted from Rodgers unless he participates in the protest himself.

That's not how I'm reading it..you might just be off..

C4Lukins

Nice..that's pretty big. Absolutely need more high profile players to speak up.

That's not how I'm reading it..you might just be off..

That is how I am reading a few posts in this thread. Overall people seem happy with Rodgers comments. I am not speaking out towards those people.

There have been a few white players that have stood next to kneeling black players with their hand on their shoulder in solidarity. None have actually kneeled yet, to my knowledge, but support seems to be trickling through.

Seth DeValve did most recently, I think. There may be others that I've missed.

Quixzlizx

"It was embarrassing to watch that these are our two candidates. Both are proven liars, and it almost seems like they're trying to debate who's less racist. And at this point ... you have to pick the lesser of two evils. But in the end, it's still evil."

"You know, I think it would be hypocritical of me to vote. I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I'm not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn't going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression."

"I mean, you have Hillary who's called black teens or black kids super predators. You have Donald Trump who's openly racist. I mean, we have a presidential candidate [Hillary Clinton] who's deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn't make sense to me, because if that was any other person, you'd be in prison."

This sounds like a Jill Stein campaign speech :lol

Kaepernick is definitely good enough that he should be on a roster. The Ravens, Chargers, Colts, Jags, and Seahawks would all be suitable places. If he were good enough to be a starting QB he'd have a job despite any backlash from dumb people, but because he'd primarily be a backup teams are either blackballing him or afraid of the potential drama.

It's unfortunate that you have to be good to be able to voice your opinion in the NFL, however we need those guys like Rodgers and the Bennett brothers to be outspoken and work to change the culture of the NFL. Personally I've become a bigger NBA fan over NFL and it has nothing to do with the quality of the sport but because of the NBA's more progressive nature compared to the NFL

Spinluck

The true GOAT.

Since my team is gonna be garbage and waste Andrew Luck, I'll be rooting for Godgers getting #2.

Dyle

Rodgers is probably the only reason I can tolerate football season in Wisconsin not being a Packers fan. This will be good for whoever it was that worried he might be a milkshake duck. One of my college buddies lived down the street from him in Suamico and had nothing but good things to say about him, not even counting his Packers fandom.

Nerokis

I really don't have much sympathy for Colin Kaepernick since he didn't even vote for Hillary and equating her to Trump.

It's something I find very misguided, but I think the conversation he started far outweighs his stance on Hillary Clinton, as well as the fact that he didn't contribute his single vote to her. People attach too much weight to individual votes, honestly; I strongly believe in voting, but the fact is you often aren't particularly affecting the world one way or the other by doing so. Doing what Colin did both takes more moral courage and has a bigger impact than voting does, at least on an individual level.

As much as the election of Trump has lead to this widespread practice of judging a person's entire life through the lens of their voting habits, regardless of the fact that smiling at someone and saying hello may very well contribute more to the world than your vote in a particular election, I think you very much should have sympathy for the fact that someone's righteous stance ended up having such a negative impact on their career.

blakep267

No offense to him but unless he makes a gesture on the field this doesn't mean much. "I empathize with the cause, but not enough to actually do anything."
The main takeaway is Aaron is the first elite starting QB to vicallybsay Kaep is essentially being blackballed. That's something that Brees, Brady etc aren't going to ever say

This lends credence to whenever somebody says "he's not good anymore that's why he's not playing". One of the best to ever play the game and one of the best players in the league at that position has just said, no you're wrong. He has plenty enough skill to play this game in this league

Look. Fuck him for that dumb shit, but that ain't why he ain't got a job. I can disagree with the dumb dude, but being jobless because he's taking a stance that my life matters? Yeah..think I can be of two minds here..

Kelsdesu

Teams will do anything not to hire Kaep. Including paying dipshits like Matt Stafford multi million dollar contracts for sucking just as bad.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Folks are saying it'd be nice/do more if he did..no one is saying he has to. Sorry, but you're reading it wrong.

?

No offense to him but unless he makes a gesture on the field this doesn't mean much. "I empathize with the cause, but not enough to actually do anything."

Unless I'm misunderstanding the game conversation, because people are suggesting he should do more.

Biggest thing isn't him supporting Kaep, it's him stating the league is blackballing him for doing it. For fucksakes, they dragged Culter out of retirement...

Kite

Luckily enough for Kaep that QB is such an important position that with the current rate of QB injuries, he will get a call pretty soon despite the so-called "blackballing". For example McCown just got hurt, and the Jet's other option are Hackenberg and Petty... lolol depending on if they're actually tanking it might be Kaep time. Though with that garbage O line Kaep might wanna nope out of that bs. Or the Jags, they've got Bortles and Henne.. heh

Top Bottom