• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

? about Playstation network name

Sony states that the platform is open and developers have complete control on their online content. Now isn't this just like the PS2 experience were you can have a different name on any given game?. If that is the case, will your friendlist, be your Playstation Platform Network(PNP) ID and as a sub text list your aliases? across different games. Say my PNP name was "SIFU" but on resistance fall of man my name is chimirean killer'51, what I'm trying to ask, is the friends list PNP or game specific? if you're confused of what I just wrote, so am I.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's a universal sign-in, but whether you can have different aliases or not I don't know - I kind of doubt it. It seems the friends list is your PNP friends lists, and currently games expose it via their own custom 'skin', and can control allowable in-game functionality and/or extend it. But - somewhat confusingly - it seems you can also hit the Playstation Home button and access your friends list in-game via the xmb, but how much you can do with that in-game, currently, is unclear (but I'd suggest that as of right now, it's quite limited).

gofreak said:
It's a universal sign-in, but whether you can have different aliases or not I don't know - I kind of doubt it. It seems the friends list is your PNP friends lists, and currently games expose it via their own custom 'skin', and can control allowable in-game functionality and/or extend it. But - somewhat confusingly - it seems you can also hit the Playstation Home button and access your friends list in-game via the xmb, but how much you can do with that in-game, currently, is unclear.

So the PNP, is a Universal sign-in across all games? So when I begin the registering process and chose a name for the PNP, no matter the game I play, once logging in and going on-line with that game, it will show that screen name already registered.

1. register your screen name with PNP

2. No matter the game, once going on-line with the PS3 it will check to see if the name is already in use?

RavenFox

Banned
gluv65 said:
So the PNP, is a Universal sign-in across all games? So when I begin the registering process and chose a name for the PNP, no matter the game I play, once logging in and going on-line with that game, it will show that screen name already registered.

1. register your screen name with PNP

2. No matter the game, once going on-line with the PS3 it will check to see if the name is already in use?
That is correct Sir.

RavenFox said:
That is correct Sir.

Regardless of the open on-line system i.e. gamespy and x-fire or what ever choice a developer makes, these systems are integrated with the PNP? So in essence these other infrastructures gamespy and xfire are "slave systems" to the PNP when it comes to your screen name? is that the case?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
gluv65 said:
Regardless of the open on-line system i.e. gamespy and x-fire or what ever choice a developer makes, these systems are integrated with the PNP? So in essence these other infrastructures gamespy and xfire are "slave systems" to the PNP when it comes to your screen name? is that the case?

hence why they're developed "for PS3"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
WOW! I didn't realize these basic questions still exist now. It's sort of cute to see people still needing this basic PS3 online information. :)

I'm glad this person got their answers from here instead of some PS3 hate forum. Can you imagine the lies he would have been told?

Top Bottom