• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC4: First review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Clement4492 and Abyssarus for the info.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/801615-AC4-got-18-20-!-World-premiere-review?

1382176992-android-imw8su2.jpg

AC4 received 18/20.

4/5 For Gameplay
4/5 For the gaphics
5/5 for the soundtrack
5/5 for the length of the game

---------------

Positive aspects of the game:
-Wonderful world / map
-A lot of things to do
-Stealth works very well, you can chose how to approach your taget, etc..

Negatives aspects of the game!
- Technical problems
- lose of frame rate on PS3
- aliasing on PS4
(I guess they played the game on PS3 & PS4 because there are nothing about Xbox)
-------------

Other things you shloud know:

-Cities are better than AC3 (for free running)
-This is A TRUE AC GAME, and the most accomplished of the franchise.
-Combats are slower than AC3...
-...There are less weapons, less new types of ennemies...
-... But naval battles are amazing !

-You'll play as Edward like 10 minutes after launching the game on your console
-Naval is amazing
-Economic system of AC4 is easier to understand and really well made (you board ships, and sell ressources)
-You'll need to upgrade your ship to succes on seas. To upgrade your ship you'll need ressources. You can get them by boarding ships.
-Taking forts have an impact on Edward's progression. It will reveal the location of special places such as caves.
-In all main or secondary missions you can play stealthy if you chose to.
-The involvement of Edward in the Templar-Assassin conflict is a bit predictable but still well done by Darby. You'll see a lot of history events.

About PS4 version:

-Beautiful, fluid, ... BUT there are aliasing on some textures.

About PS3 version:

-Almost like PS4 even if textures are kind of blurred.. The only thing is that there are loss of framerates.

TO CONCLUDE: AC4 is the most successful game of the franchise. Better mechanics of gameplay, better level design, the game is a real success.
You'll need about 20 hours to complete the main path and 50 hours to complete everything.

OverHeat

« generous god »
to get the PS4 version or the PC version ( going to play on a 780m 4gb) that's the question.

Looks like most of the negatives relates to the ps3/ps4 versions. It's not far fetched to believe these problems extend to the xbox variations.

Yet another reason to wait for the PC version. Too bad the AC series always insists on waiting to release on the PC. The few weeks of wait is always painful. For AC3 I rented the ps3 copy to keep me busy, but I'm just going to go ahead and wait for AC4. There's enough interesting games like Arkham Origins to keep me busy until its released.

Eggbok

I want more info on the modern day gameplay, I'm not a fan of it but I want to see how it is.
Since you know, Desmond died.

SJRB

Gold Member
There is no way in hell the PS3 version is "almost like the PS4 version, only with some textures blurred", come on now.

Ubi even released entire trailers showing what next-gen versions will bring [moving foliage, rain drops individually rendered and lighted, etc].

wrowa

Sounds like it was written based off of the preview videos, seems dubious.

A French print magazine having the first review of a game by a French company doesn't strike me as particularly surprising, to be honest.

Monooboe

"-Stealth works very well, you can chose how to approach your taget, etc.."

"-In all main or secondary missions you can play stealthy if you chose to."

This is so awesome to hear! I have it preordered and been waiting for it but my hype level jumped now.

Jb

Sounds like a good, relaxing game to play on XB1/PS4 while waiting for the real stunners in 2014.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If the PS3 version looks so close to the PS4 version. And the 360 version will be the same as the PS3 version. Does that mean the Xbox One version will looks worse then the 360 version?

scsa

Seems more like a preview to me. They don't go into details of the PS4 version , no trackpad usage info, no major graphics comparisons?

Derrick01

Banned
"-Stealth works very well, you can chose how to approach your taget, etc.."

"-In all main or secondary missions you can play stealthy if you chose to."

This is so awesome to hear! I have it preordered and been waiting for it but my hype level jumped now.

Come on don't fall for that nonsense.

-The involvement of Edward in the Templar-Assassin conflict is a bit predictable but still well done by Darby. You'll see a lot of history events.

Does that mean the developers shoved Edward in historical events for no reason like what they did with Connor in ACIII ? I sincerely hope not !

If the PS3 version looks so close to the PS4 version. And the 360 version will be the same as the PS3 version. Does that mean the Xbox One version will looks worse then the 360 version?
I really doubt the ps3 version is close to the ps4 version

Ps3 ver
Worse resolution
Worse frame rate
Bad lod
jaggies
no dx 11 tech like advance water or dynamic foliage
Screen tearing
Worse textures

Ps4 ver
dx 11 tech
1080p