• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

Akselziys said:
Feb 2011 LTD numbers to be exact :)

And no, Apollo numbers aren't that high... But slightly higher than the number you provided from 2009.

But Investigations is definitely in your hypothetical ball park ;)

So either Sven is lying or Okamiden did REALLY well in its first 2 weeks on the shelves. That means that the Ace Attorney series still sells more than enough to justify localisation and the DS market is alive and well (especially when you consider that Okamiden was up against both Pokemon B&W and the 3DS launch) They have no excuse at this point then.

MechaX

Crumpet Trumpet said:
That's actually a lot more than I expected for the Ace Attorney series. There's no way they're not profiting on that much, right?

If they're not profiting by even 50k sales for a text adventure game, then Capcom might be more internally skewed than any of us can comprehend at this point.

I've... got nothing at this point. Let's see what Sven manages to say about this next. Let's hope that the Ace Attorney series didn't fall in this absurd "MUST SELL 5 MILLION COPIES" mentality that seemingly Capcom's other franchises have fell into as of late.

Wizpig

MechaX said:
Since I was curious, I combed through some of the older NPD threads.

In the February 2009 NPD, Apollo Justice sold 71k (in which it had been out by a year at that point).

Assuming that Akselziys has recent LTD numbers, I would probably peg Apollo Justice around 90k - 110k at this point. If Investigations reached anywhere near 70k so quickly, then Capcom is fucking stupid on the highest plane of metaphysical existence, end of story.
Great, fantastic.

Between this and "don't worry, you'll just miss the sixth - 10th anniversary - game, but it's nuttin' big" quote from Capcom Unity this is starting to get more and more frustrating every day.

LiK

Wizpig said:
Great, fantastic.

Between this and "don't worry, you'll just miss the sixth - 10th anniversary - game, but it's nuttin' big" quote from Capcom Unity this is starting to get more and more frustrating every day.
Yep, Capcom Unity doesn't care about its fans.

Wizpig

Also I'm still pretty sure it will affect the series' future.

I'm just your random fan, i don't work for a game company, but i followed the quotes from Capcom in the years, and

- Apollo came out as a sequel and "connects" to Ace Attorney 1 case 5 in some ways... it's nothing odd, they continued a succesful GBA series on the DS.

- The series was definitely going to end there, and the spin-off sequels (with quality near to the main series, don't forget it) came out only because of the good sales worldwide.

- Now AAI 2 sold less than other AA games in Japan and it sold ZERO copies in the US and ZERO copies in Europe.
Do you honestly think a company like Capcom will continue the series after Layton vs. AA? they will probably put Ace Attorney as an easter egg in fighting games or things like that, but the series will be effectively dead, like Darkstalkers or Dino Crisis.

I'm not one of those fans that will buy anything they "love" as long as the series name is there, I too once thought that the series might aswell end with T&T (on the GBA) or Apollo, why not.

But they came this far, and AAI was one of the best spin-off games i ever played, if not the best.

The fact that people actually put that game NEAR the main series is evidence of its quality.
And AAI 2 looked even better.

I'm not asking for an Activision style of milking or an anime version, a live action move or something, I'm asking that they bring the games here as long as they look interesting.

gamingeek

Capcom need to put it up on 3DS ware with higher resolution art and a 3D effect like SSFIV 3D's menus.

If they can't make money on this game they should bite the bullet and put it out anyway for the fans. It's not like we wont pay them back by not buying RE6 or SF5.

When I buy 5 games in one series from Capcom and then they turn around and shun my business, that's not right. They could at least make the Japanese version with the english translation on the cart like Phoenix wright 1-3 so we could import.

Hcoregamer00 said:
RIP Ace Attorney Investigations 2

Capcom deserves nothing but a big middle finger from me, since this is the only major franchise I buy from them.

Never seen that trailer before, looks awesome. Did they start adding a lot of VA in AAI and this or is that just something special they did for the trailer? The only other times I can remember there being voiced stuff were the TGS videos they did. I'm just asking because I have yet to play AAI 1 yet, seeing as I was planning to wait for 2 and planned to do them back to back ... ;__;.

Wizpig

AdawgDaFAB said:
Did they start adding a lot of VA in AAI and this or is that just something special they did for the trailer?
Trailer only of course.

I think i heard Maes Hughes' voice from FMA in there.

protonion

I used to laugh when people said this but i'm boycotting capcom for sure. This is their only franchise I care about.
I hope the fanbase will do something...

zethren

Banned
Someone in the thread on the Capcom forums suggested the possibility of Capcom raising the price of a Western released AAI2 from the standard $30.00 to $35.00 to help cover for the cost of localization.

I know I would pay $35.00 for AAI2 upon release, but what do the rest of you guys think about that idea?

LiK

zethren said:
Someone in the thread on the Capcom forums suggested the possibility of Capcom raising the price of a Western released AAI2 from the standard $30.00 to $35.00 to help cover for the cost of localization.

I know I would pay $35.00 for AAI2 upon release, but what do the rest of you guys think about that idea?

raise the damn price. i'll still buy it. just give it to me!

zethren said:

I'll willingly bite the bullet. I'd pay $50 if it was the difference between it seeing the light of day or not.

I seriously doubt anything said on the Capcom forums is going to make an iota of difference.

But yes, I'd pay the USD 35 if it came to that.

Sotha Sil

Ben2749 said:
I'll willingly bite the bullet. I'd pay $50 if it was the difference between it seeing the light of day or not.

As much as I hate to admit it, I would too.

Still, denial mode. It's an Ace Attorney game. How is this situation even possible?

See what you've done, Capcom? You're making grown, reasonable men nerdrage... How could you.

Chemo

Sotha Sil said:
See what you've done, Capcom? You're making grown, reasonable men nerdrage... How could you.
And they're using lies as the justification for it. If the guy saying 70k is in the AAI-sales ballpark. There's no way it got close to those numbers without turning a profit, and I seriously doubt Okamiden is at that level yet either, if it is even capable of ever getting there in the first place.

My relationship with Capcom is approaching irreparable levels.

I don't know much about localizing games, but I see tons of niche RPGs by Atlus/Xseed and so on, so how expensive is it really to bring AAI2 to the west? Does Capcom have certain budget and sales ratio plan or something?

zethren said:

I wouldn't like it, but I would buy it for that price. I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. They could even raise it to $40 and include the soundtrack, and I would buy it.
General Shank-a-snatch said:
I don't know much about localizing games, but I see tons of niche RPGs by Atlus/Xseed and so on, so how expensive is it really to bring AAI2 to the west? Does Capcom have certain budget and sales ratio plan or something?
Capcom's content with milking fighting fans and doing whatever they want with the corpse of Resident Evil. Also they can keep popping out new Monster Hunter titles. They don't have to care about us; they're a business.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AdawgDaFAB said:
Never seen that trailer before, looks awesome. Did they start adding a lot of VA in AAI and this or is that just something special they did for the trailer? The only other times I can remember there being voiced stuff were the TGS videos they did. I'm just asking because I have yet to play AAI 1 yet, seeing as I was planning to wait for 2 and planned to do them back to back ... ;__;.
It's just what they do for the Japanese trailers. As you've said, they've liked to voice them since the original Gyakuten Saiban DS ones from TGS several years back.

XiaNaphryz said:
It's just what they do for the Japanese trailers. As you've said, they've liked to voice them since the original Gyakuten Saiban DS ones from TGS several years back.

Thats what I thought. This one just threw me for a loop a bit since it seemed like they were voicing actual portions of the game's dialog in the trailer there (I don't know Japanese so IDK if this is true or not). It reminded me of the first time I saw the GS vs Layton trailer.

In all the previous GS promotional pieces that were voiced wasn't it just special videos showing fake cases made specifically for TGSs? I can only recall two of these: The GS 1 DS video with Maya on trial for eating Gumshoe's lunch and the GS4 reveal. Are there others with voiced parts?

LiK

zethren said:
Then it's settled, Capcom. We have written confirmation that at least a handful of us would definitely pay you extra money for your game! lol Please take our money...

Capcom: "No no, we hate money and our fans. We're gonna pretend it never existed."

Christine

Sotha Sil said:

I can't even build up a good head of steam for my nerdrage. It's just depressing me. It's like all the air has been sucked out of the room.

Kusagari

The worst thing is I know that Aksys/Atlus/XSeed would be salivating over bringing this over and there's no way Capcom will let them :/.

Erdrick

I still think this is some sort of elaborate ploy to get attention built up for the game and that they will eventually release it in North America anyway. They've bothered to release all the other games, and even Ghost Trick, so...

Why would they suddenly stop now? It's not like the 3DS doesn't play DS games.

I've bought and enjoyed all of the AA games and their spinoffs like Ghost Trick and enjoyed them immensely. It's one of the few series that I really still have a passion for these days. To find out that Capcom does not want to bring the latest one to North America... ugh. It does not make sense...

Gvaz

Banned
The first four were cool. Miles is an interesting character, but I would have preferred they didn't have this mediocre "move around a small zone to find things to interact with" feature. It wasn't much fun.

Erdrick said:
I still think this is some sort of elaborate ploy to get attention built up for the game and that they will eventually release it in North America anyway. They've bothered to release all the other games, and even Ghost Trick, so...

Why would they suddenly stop now? It's not like the 3DS doesn't play DS games.

I've bought and enjoyed all of the AA games and their spinoffs like Ghost Trick and enjoyed them immensely. It's one of the few series that I really still have a passion for these days. To find out that Capcom does not want to bring the latest one to North America... ugh. It does not make sense...
If it was announced at CAPTIVATE, I am going to be so pissed. -_-

Another post from Chris Svensson of Capcom:
Guys, to be clear, internal conversations are ongoing and I've made a couple proposals that are being debated but to set expectations, even if something were to happen on any platform, it would be months before we'd announce anything as there's nothing in development currently (as previously stated).

In short, if you ask every couple days what the status is, my answer is unfortunately still going to be "no news to print" until hopefully someday that there is.

I do appreciate the passion but patience is definitely going to be a virtue here.
So, at least the topic is being addressed. Now we've got to wait.

But I definitely don't think people should let up on the requests. All the main dialogue between Capcom and the fans is happening on the Capcom Unity forums, in this topic specifically.

If you have an account, adding in your 2 cents would be beneficial to the cause.

Fodder76

I'm glad to see the outcry has been significant. I was worried the internet would shrug and live would move on.

I don't want life to move on.

My money is on a slightly touched up 3DS release with AAI 1 and 2 on one cart. Or just a 3DS port over of AAI 2, much like the original AA games were GBA titles but only got released over here once they were ported to DS. Thats what I would guess, but it still stinks..

udivision

TheBanditKing said:
My money is on a slightly touched up 3DS release with AAI 1 and 2 on one cart. Or just a 3DS port over of AAI 2, much like the original AA games were GBA titles but only got released over here once they were ported to DS. Thats what I would guess, but it still stinks..

Because a 3ds version would sell more because of it's larger consumer base.

Right...

Wizpig

ThreeSix said:
"What are they thinking?!" has passed through my mind a few times now, and the only explanation is that the devil is whispering poison to the ears of Capcom directly. Very disappointed to hear this.
What i don't like is that i read some posts, after the Captivate news (like SF x Tekken) that "Capcom is still Capgod", "they are the best", etc. while the problem of localizations still exist even if you don't care about a series.

The same problem Nintendo Europe / America has.

Basically, i'll just quote this post again:

randomkid said:
Why would anyone in the thread be glad/indifferent that an Ace Attorney game's not being localized? I don't even like the series, but I still feel bad for the fans and realize that this sets up a disastrous precedent for further DS localizations. I still want Ni no Kuni, Layton 4, Solatorobo, Mystery Room and all three Inazuma games. All of these were pretty unlikely to begin with, but if companies are afraid to even release something as successful as an Ace Attorney game then chances are nil.

edit. my Takumi avatar disappeared and i don't know why T_T

Top Bottom