• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

Jintor

Ben2749 said:
No. They're collections of short stories, none of which actually focus on in-court battles. For example, one has Maya finding a cat, and Phoenix arguing against keeping it, and another has them both looking for an equivalent of a waterfall for Maya to stand under.

Iirc they're all doujin that Capcom basically said "Hey, submit for a collection we'll publish"

After reading all of Christian Svensson's comments, I'm thinking this is probably a publicity stunt or something. They stirred up a lot of fan outrage by making it seem like they aren't giong to release it, but they probably are already thinking about releasing it on 3DSware or something along those lines, and when they do announce it, they can say "see, we listened to you guys".

That or it's like that Siliconera article says, and they just haven't planned it out yet.

qq more

Personally, I really prefer the game on retail than digital. Maybe it's just because I love having my games on shelves. :X

But eh, I can go for a digital release if the retail release is impossible.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hmm, looking at NPD LTD numbers, it seems Ace Attorney Investigations 1 did almost as well as well as Apollo Justice, so I'm not sure if them worrying about sales would be a problem.

Maybe they're just trying to wait until E3 to show it off XD;;

Also, the DS userbase is still immensely larger than the 3DS's current userbase. Though I could see buyers/retailers reducing their orders in an attempt to phase out DS games from their repertoire, which may play a factor.

Balb

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
After reading all of Christian Svensson's comments, I'm thinking this is probably a publicity stunt or something. They stirred up a lot of fan outrage by making it seem like they aren't giong to release it, but they probably are already thinking about releasing it on 3DSware or something along those lines, and when they do announce it, they can say "see, we listened to you guys".

That or it's like that Siliconera article says, and they just haven't planned it out yet.

Don't they always play stupid games like this when talking about upcoming AA games? It's getting ridiculous.

Ehh, the hope of it being a digital-only title seems pretty thin to me. If they couldn't justify localization costs as a card release, it seems less likely they'd do so as an exclusively-not-card release. This is a Nintendo system, not something like PC where Steam is huge.

Balb said:
Don't they always play stupid games like this when talking about upcoming AA games? It's getting ridiculous.
Previously they've teased like "Maaaaybe we'll do it." or "You guys should show us how much you want it!", but not so much "We thought about it. Not gonna do it."

Lesiroth

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh, the hope of it being a digital-only title seems pretty thin to me. If they couldn't justify localization costs as a card release, it seems less likely they'd do so as an exclusively-not-card release. This is a Nintendo system, not something like PC where Steam is huge.

Previously they've teased like "Maaaaybe we'll do it." or "You guys should show us how much you want it!", but not so much "We thought about it. Not gonna do it."
It would just be Capcom reaching new lows.

If this is for publicity, I'll forgive them when they announce a release date. I'll even say, "You got me!"

I've been very bitter these past few years as a gamer...don't add another game left unlocalized/with shitty PR statements to my pool of tears, Capcom. Disaster, Last Window, Trace Memory: Another Code, The Last Story, and Xenoblade before it was announced for Europe (but "lol" NoA =/)

So Sven responded on Capcomunity's thread.

Couple points... I've previously read the neogaf post. I understand their and your concerns.

I don't believe it not coming to DS will impact the AA franchise in any meaningful way over the long term.

The okimden sales I reference are US, not global, before people jump to more conclusions.

Lastly we've made most of the prior AA titles available on Wiiware and iOS. So there have been other places besides retail to experience or enter the series.

I also want to be clear this: the Layton/AA product has nothing to do with this. It's 3DS and also Level5 will likely be making the call on how the West is handled(as I've said before). Completely different retail and consumer mechanics (at least for North America).

Bolding mine.

I...disagree. I don't even want to say respectfully, because the crux of my disagreement is as an Ace Attorney fan that will not be looking to Capcom to make the effort anymore. In other words, yes, you lost a sale. And I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who is no longer looking to support the series because we like it as it's not like it's impossible to buy games without Capcom seeing a dime of it.

And if that means less games, then big whoop, because it seems like you're actively going down this path, anyway. Why is the onus on me to support you when that's all I've done so far and you still pull the football away when it's about to be kicked?

GhaleonQ

ShockingAlberto said:
So Sven responded on Capcomunity's thread.

I...disagree. I don't even want to say respectfully, because the crux of my disagreement is as an Ace Attorney fan that will not be looking to Capcom to make the effort anymore. In other words, yes, you lost a sale. And I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who is no longer looking to support the series because we like it as it's not like it's impossible to buy games without Capcom seeing a dime of it.

And if that means fewer games, then big whoop, because it seems like you're actively going down this path, anyway. Why is the onus on me to support you when that's all I've done so far and you still pull the football away when it's about to be kicked?

Also, no one (him more than most) knows what's coming next for the series, does anyone? It could very well be the 2nd iteration in the less popular 2nd trilogy or the 3rd entry in the "spinoff" trilogy or a new title from the guy whose original property just bombed. All of those are doomed.

His argument's doubtful even if he had substantiation or knowledge of the company's development priorities.

Doorman

Perhaps he means it won't affect the franchise because the franchise is effectively canned at this point anyway? It's an awfully pessimistic way to look at things but at least he'd be accurate.

Given that it looks like AAI2 made more of a thump than a splash in Japanese sales compared to the first, I doubt they'll believe it worth pursuing a third game in the Kenji subseries. They could continue where they went with 4, but...despite the high sales (which I would largely attribute to being the first "real" DS game of the series) people haven't been very fond of it in retrospect and I doubt that a straight-up GS5 in that vein would somehow revitalize interest in the series. The third option would be going in some other completely new direction but that's no more likely to attract people that have passed on the franchise thusfar and raises the risk of being too 'new' and turning off the pickier of the current fans.

I don't like to look at it, but if the treatment of Devil May Cry is an indication of Capcom's shifting battle strategy (i.e. it sells decently well but isn't a megahit, so drastic change is called for), my fear right now is that they don't see enough hit-value in the Attorney games to warrant further development on any major scale, much less undergo the expense of what's probably a more difficult lingual localization than most games. As much as I don't want this to be the case, let me stress that, it's possible at this point that Gyakuten Saiban could just be...over.

Every time I see this thread my heart hurts a little. But yeah, I definitely would not surprised if this was some kind of twisted marketing method. It's like how after every season of "Chuck," fans have to demonstrate their love to NBC in order to save the show. Quit playing games with my heart, Sven!
LLShC.gif

Doorman

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Every time I see this thread my heart hurts a little. But yeah, I definitely would not surprised if this was some kind of twisted marketing method. It's like how after every season of "Chuck," fans have to demonstrate their love to NBC in order to save the show. Quit playing games with my heart, Sven!
LLShC.gif
More new episodes start tomorrow. I really wish they'd stop having "season finales" that only last for two or three weeks before new ones come up again, one of these times I'm going to miss the promos and wind up totally skipping out on it.

Good luck to Sven, though if the decision is already made for AAI2, I don't think there's really much to be done until some new game in the series is announced.

A 3DSWare port would probably severely limit the people that could buy it so I doubt it's any more of an option.

Honestly, I'd be cool with a Steam version, but that's wishful thinking.

Akselziys said:
Hmm, looking at NPD LTD numbers, it seems Ace Attorney Investigations 1 did almost as well as well as Apollo Justice, so I'm not sure if them worrying about sales would be a problem.
14tskxw.jpg

Chemo

ShockingAlberto said:
A 3DSWare port would probably severely limit the people that could buy it so I doubt it's any more of an option.

Honestly, I'd be cool with a Steam version, but that's wishful thinking.
A Steam version?! The only answer is a Nintendo DS release. That's where the fanbase is, that's where all four mainline games are, and that's where the first game in this series is. Anything else is a slap to the face of the people who supported the hell out of the series up until this point.

If this is just some kind of backhanded marketing ploy, they've made their point... I'm pretty sure a good deal of people will be buying this out of fear for the future of the franchise.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chemo said:
The only answer is a Nintendo DS release. That's where the fanbase is, that's where all four mainline games are, and that's where the first game in this series is. Anything else is a slap to the face of the people who supported the hell out of the series up until this point.

This. I don't want it on any other system. I bought the games on the DS. I expect the second Edgeworth game on the DS. Fuck Capcom for not translating it for the US. I'll just fucking wait for a fantranslation if that's the case and give up even more Capcom franchises since this generation started because they can't seem to please their fanbase/series fans at all anymore.

MechaX

Akselziys said:

WHAT?!

Then how in the hell did Apollo Justice sell?

nckillthegrimace said:
A Ninja Theory developed Ace Attorney game starring Winston Payne?

Just stop saying things. You might give Capcom ideas.

Doorman

Chemo said:
If this is just some kind of backhanded marketing ploy, they've made their point... I'm pretty sure a good deal of people will be buying this out of fear for the future of the franchise.
To be honest, I'd almost be more tempted to not buy the game new under those circumstances. If they think that the best way to portray the benefits of their product to the consumer is though lying and threats, then that's not a company that I regularly want to do business with. That's not a strategy that I want to feel like I'm rewarding.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they don't split up the cases for $$$ if it's for another platform. Then again it's Capcom.

Busaiku

Akselziys said:
Where'd you get LTD numbers?

DiscoJer

Heh, now DS owners know what it feels like to be completely pissed on by Capcom...(usually their preferred target is PSP owners)

Definitely my least favorite gaming company...

MechaX said:
Just stop saying things. You might give Capcom ideas.

Apologies. I was struggling to think of things Capcom could do that would be worse than not localizing AAI2.

Honestly, this wouldn't be a problem if the DS had a robust download service where retail games are available like the PSP does. Their digital push has allowed more niche games to be localized in a market environment that is infinity more dire than the DS's.

But the counterpoint to that is Capcom not localizing any PSP games since 2009.

Well, I'm stumped.

DiscoJer said:
Heh, now DS owners know what it feels like to be completely pissed on by Capcom...(usually their preferred target is PSP owners)

Definitely my least favorite gaming company...

Huh? Capcom has done enough in the AA series by itself to piss DS fans off.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
MechaX said:
Since I was curious, I combed through some of the older NPD threads.

In the February 2009 NPD, Apollo Justice sold 71k (in which it had been out by a year at that point).

Assuming that Akselziys has recent LTD numbers, I would probably peg Apollo Justice around 90k - 110k at this point. If Investigations reached anywhere near 70k so quickly, then Capcom is fucking stupid on the highest plane of metaphysical existence, end of story.

Feb 2011 LTD numbers to be exact :)

And no, Apollo numbers aren't that high... But slightly higher than the number you provided from 2009.

But Investigations is definitely in your hypothetical ball park ;)

Akselziys said:
Feb 2011 LTD numbers to be exact :)

And no, Apollo numbers aren't that high... But slightly higher than the number you provided from 2009.

But Investigations is definitely in your hypothetical ball park ;)
vd1sms.jpg

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

ShockingAlberto said:
And I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who is no longer looking to support the series because we like it...
I would follow this if I didn't fucking love AA more than I am constantly displeased with Capcom.

I WILL, however, be fucking PISSED if it's some DD bullshit. They better pull some progress out of their asses.

Akselziys said:

Shots fired. :p

ShockingAlberto said:
デビル メイ クライ

Capucoma, ie Gyakuten Kenji 2 USA desuka? デビル メイ クライ!!!

Now I just need to find the email to their japanese correspondents...

ShockingAlberto said:
If you sent them that, they would be very, very confused.

Hey come on, I only took one semester of Japanese (and for some reason I took Italian on that same semester).

If I were fluent in this I'd be helping translate the game right about now. :p

Takao

Banned
Ya, Capcom is trolling ya'll if 70k isn't enough to be a worthwhile investment for a text adventure game. Though it would probably end up at like 50k for the sequel.

Busaiku said:
Where'd you get LTD numbers?

He works for Aksys and has the ability to look at NPD numbers. ;P

Top Bottom