• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

udivision said:
Because a 3ds version would sell more because of it's larger consumer base.

Right...

As I mentioned above, it's not quite that simple. If they're worried about DS sales overall falling off (which they are, although how fast is somewhat up in the air) and about retail space and attention dedicated to DS titles decreasing (this is definitely happening), both factors could hurt sales if the game was released on DS.

Conversely, new IPs and first titles from more niche IPs that were on the decline in the previous generation often perform much better near launch of a new platform because they're competing against fewer AAA titles and stand out as something interesting amongst the mostly mediocre software they're up against.

I don't really believe the cost/sales justification we got upfront so I don't think there's any inherent reason to not just release the existing DS game (quickly while the market's still around), but the idea of trying to move platforms isn't insane either.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
charlequin said:
As I mentioned above, it's not quite that simple. If they're worried about DS sales overall falling off (which they are, although how fast is somewhat up in the air) and about retail space and attention dedicated to DS titles decreasing (this is definitely happening), both factors could hurt sales if the game was released on DS.

Conversely, new IPs and first titles from more niche IPs that were on the decline in the previous generation often perform much better near launch of a new platform because they're competing against fewer AAA titles and stand out as something interesting amongst the mostly mediocre software they're up against.

I don't really believe the cost/sales justification we got upfront so I don't think there's any inherent reason to not just release the existing DS game (quickly while the market's still around), but the idea of trying to move platforms isn't insane either.
I agree 100%.

Also, I don't believe anything really changed with the fans uprising: the possibility of AAI2 showing up on other platforms was mentioned from the very beginning. So, the "talks" mentioned later were likely already ongoing back then.

We all know how much Capcom likes to say things are not in development, when they really are. I'm hoping that this is the case now. :/

Gvaz

Banned
firehawk12 said:
New avatar rules. You need to re-upload to GAF's servers.
Animated avatars aren't permitted now? Eugh.

Anyways, if I was capcom I'd be worried too. If sales on the DS were higher (since the console is rampant with piracy) I'm sure they'd be more willing. I don't know many people (in person) who actually bought any of the AA games but they've played it.

Yet another (small) update from Sven, he says has been monitoring every post in the thread on the Capcom-Unity forums and that he will continue to do so.

So if this is really important to anyone, the most effective place to post your concerns and to direct other people would be that thread. I think it's worth the few minutes to express a person's desire to see this game get an English release.

I just found this thread.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I can't be THAT expensive to translate that game.
I want my complete Ace Attorney libary capcom! I even rebought all the phoenix wright games on wii ware even though I already own all the ace attorney ds games. It's one of my favourite series EVER.

Wizpig

Gunloc said:
Yet another (small) update from Sven, he says has been monitoring every post in the thread on the Capcom-Unity forums and that he will continue to do so.

So if this is really important to anyone, the most effective place to post your concerns and to direct other people would be that thread. I think it's worth the few minutes to express a person's desire to see this game get an English release.
Already done my part, but i will continue to post if it means something.

Gunloc said:

I doubt this will amount to anything.

If they were going to make a decision about a platform switch, it would have already been made.

ShockingAlberto said:
I doubt this will amount to anything.

If they were going to make a decision about a platform switch, it would have already been made.
That's a possibility, but it's better than doing nothing.

Though Sven himself said he made some new proposals last week, so unless he's lying, it is at least being discussed at Capcom.

qq more said:
:( @ the thread bump giving me hope for a minute
We won't be hearing any news for a while, no matter what the outcome.

Gunloc said:
That's a possibility, but it's better than doing nothing.

Though Sven himself said he made some new proposals last week, so unless he's lying, it is at least being discussed at Capcom.

We won't be hearing any news for a while, no matter what the outcome.
Not that I think he's a villain or anything, but I am pretty sure he's lied to us already on this subject.

We have last month's NPDs.

If Okamiden outsold AAI, then I'd really, really like to see the numbers stating that.

ShockingAlberto said:
Not that I think he's a villain or anything, but I am pretty sure he's lied to us already on this subject.

We have last month's NPDs.

If Okamiden outsold AAI, then I'd really, really like to see the numbers stating that.
Yeah, the talk about the sales numbers is a bit shady, but we can't really do anything about that.

All I know is that he doesn't really have anything to gain by stringing people along needlessly, it would just lead to a bigger backlash. I've got to have a bit of faith now, because it's better than just stewing in bitterness.

Wizpig

This is basically old news, but there may be (read: there is) a fan-translation project going around.

As for the Capcom front, well, everyone knows it already: no news.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What group, so many groups are unreliable and nothing of value will actually come out of them. Have they done anything before?

Are you talking about the group over at Court Records? I have good faith in them. They started there fan translation project like days after the Capcom announcement. They think that if Capcom sees their efforts it will help prove the fans want the game and if not they can release there fan translation.

They are the "base" for ace attorney fans after all.

Wizpig

I got this in the mail today...

kssig.jpg

Mixed feelings.
On one side "Capcom you are the best sh ever".
On the other one "Crapcom i hate you".

Mixed feeling because i can't play it, i can't read Japanese.
Why, Capcom, why.

/drama

udivision

Wizpig said:
Mixed feeling because i can't play it, i can't read Japanese.
Why, Capcom, why.

/drama

Bought a game you can't play? I don't know about Capgod/Crapcom, but you're definitely acting like a Wizpignoramus.

It's Crapcom, btw.

Wizpig

udivision said:
Bought a game you can't play? I don't know about Capgod/Crapcom, but you're definitely acting like a Wizpignoramus.

It's Crapcom, btw.
So that i can wait for the fan translation and i don't have to search for a copy later.

Searching for Mother 3 after the translation was finished was terrible.

If Court Records is indeed translating this, that gives me some confidence.

Not saying it's a 100% guarantee it will get done (fan translations are never 100% guarantees), but if anyone's going to try their damndest, it's them. I used to run in that circle and those people are fucking dedicated.

While I want to play the game, I probably won't be using the fan translation. No disrespect to them, because I do appreciate what they're doing, but it just won't be the same without Capcom themselves translating it.

LiK

Gunloc said:
Seth just recently said he's still monitoring the discussions in the Capcom thread.

I still have hope.
He should look at LA Noire and say, dammit, gotta ride that train! Localize!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wizpig said:
Except when they get too dedicated about pairings and yaoi/yuri thingies.

So I finally get my Edgeworth/Phoenix action like Capcom Japan intended? :p

Gunloc said:
Seth just recently said he's still monitoring the discussions in the Capcom thread.

Just like he monitors the "BRING REPLAY AND SPECTATOR MODE TO MvC3 CAPCOM" thread.

OH WAIT. :|

Wizpig

ot

Spectator mode would just add lag, and the game already has plenty.
Replay, on the other hand... but it's Capcom we're talking about.

/ot

So, some members at Court-Records are organizing a campaign on various social media to bring attention to the issue. Here's a link to a post on the Capcom-Unity boards linking all the different pages:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...rney_Investigations_2&post_num=1858#504076295

So, show your support if you are so inclined. And while you're there, check out the Capcom-Unity topic itself. It's still the place that Sven checks and where the main dialogue about the localization chances is happening on Capcom's official site.

I'll leave you with the latest word from Sven at Comic-Con via a poster at Capcom-Unity:

Daniel @ Capcom-Unity said:
Update:

Sven said at Comic-con that still no new news at this time, he is still pushing for it's release and also determining what platform it will ultimately end up on.

Also: "Mega man is not dead, it's still a very important franchise to us."

Level 5 is still handling Layton vs Phoenix Wright, Snow said that he hasn't even heard anything from Japan so they're still in the dark here in the west.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
FUCCCKKK I need this. I'll sign up for whatever stupid Facebook pages or sign any petition.. or whatever. I just want this game.

Top Bottom