• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

Doorman

Kusagari said:
I've never even seen Ghost Trick in a store besides Gamestop. It probably megabombed.
I don't think I've ever seen a physical copy of it, in any store that sells games I've been in. And I doubt this is because it's been perpetually selling out.

The first Ace Attorney translation was an experiment, yes, but it did come out at a time that three games in the series were already out in Japan, meaning there already would be at least a small set of dedicated fans familiar with the game. I think it's worth keeping in mind that the concept of Ace Attorney is probably a lot easier to spread through word of mouth than trying to sell someone on Ghost Trick. Capcom went in expecting "meh," and got "good" instead, so they decided to expand the effort. But especially without Takumi leading the charge, I think it's likely that their raised expectations started exceeding the series' realistic audience size.

I can see why they'd localize Ghost Trick and not AAI2, thinking that since a limited run of the first AA took off that it might work again this time, but their distribution was so limited that its bombing doesn't surprise me in the least. Losing Cing with the bourbon-tastic adventures of Kyle Hyde and now the potential of losing Gyakuten and future Takumi projects, I worry that the adventure-game renaissance we saw on the DS is going to go belly-up again for the next generation, outside of Layton.

Snaku

Banned
This shit is finally starting to sink in....

UFlBZ.gif

bon said:
AAI comes out in english
Fans: LOL worst Ace Attorney ever! *nobody buys it*

AAI2 not coming out in english
Fans: WHAT THE HELL CAPCOM?!?

Thou shalt not troll an Ace Attorney fan. FOR SHAME.

Besides, we know AAI2 is improved. So we wants it. It is...our preciousssssss.

ShockingAlberto said:
I liked it.

If you judge a game's reception solely by the internet community's criticism, then no game should come out ever.

Except for one game.

And that is Half Life 2. On your knees Alberto! And beg for forgiveness!

Takao

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
Hopefully someone like Ignition or Xseed will pick this up.

Hahaha, oh man. My beloved RPG franchise only had 1 real game out of 9 localized (3 games overall localized), and hasn't had a single game localized since 2004 but I still wouldn't want Ignition localizing it. It's the one case where I wouldn't want a localization. I also doubt Capcom would give anyone else the publishing duties. They seem more like Scamco than Sony.

Edit: Atlus is too busy bringing over WRPGs no one wants to localize a text adventure
amIdoingitrite?

Aksys would be a great fit, but they're the least likely due to their age, and experience.

Takao said:
Hahaha, oh man. My beloved RPG franchise only had 1 real game out of 9 localized (3 games overall localized), and hasn't had a single game localized since 2004 but I still wouldn't want Ignition localizing it. It's the one case where I wouldn't want a localization. I also doubt Capcom would give anyone else the publishing duties. They seem more like Scamco than Sony.

Edit: Atlus is too busy bringing over WRPGs no one wants to localize a text adventure
amIdoingitrite?

Aksys would be a great fit, but they're the least likely due to their age, and experience.

Out of curiosity, which is it?

Honestly, Capcom isn't going to hand over rights for AAI2 to any other publisher, even if they were interested. They're still holding out the option of bringing over future Ace Attorney games, so they won't want to share control of the brand.

Chemo

Kusagari said:
I forgot about Atlus. LET THEM BRING THIS OVER CAPCOM!
What's really hilarious is that if Atlus brought it over, they'd hype it the fuck up with an awesome press release, heavy promotion and either a nice LE or some cool preorder swag, and sell like 5x the copies that Capcom could have if they had localized it themselves.

MechaX

Chemo said:
What's really hilarious is that if Atlus brought it over, they'd hype it the fuck up with an awesome press release, heavy promotion and either a nice LE or some cool preorder swag, and sell like 5x the copies that Capcom could have if they had localized it themselves.

And that will probably be the reason why Capcom won't let Atlus do it. It's Bamco-esque pride.

Chemo said:
... and that's why Capcom won't give it to them. Motherfrakers. Admittedly, if Atlus originally had the rights to the series, we wouldn't have had an Alexander O. Smith translation. Though I imagine that it would still be quite good. <3 Atlus

Chemo

MechaX said:
And that will probably be the reason why Capcom won't let Atlus do it. It's Bamco-esque pride.
Yeah, I agree completely. After the release of the first Ace Attorney, with the HUGE shortages and the insane word of mouth requiring reprint after reprint after reprint, Capcom could have turned that shit into a much bigger franchise that it ended up being in NA.

Takao said:
ljgvh.png

Medabots/Medarot
I miss Medabots. :(

Cardboard Senki better get its ass over here.

Edit: I just saw the promo art for Medarots DS. What did they do to Metabee?! Those character designs are rather funky.

Takao

Banned
Boney said:
are they dead as well?

There's a good chance that the English license to the anime expires this year (hence the 2001 - 2011). Combine that with the fact it seems no one is interested in bringing over the new DS/3DS games it's the end of the franchise in English. Which is depressing given the franchise is experiencing a mini-rebirth right now in Japan.

Takao

Banned
Boney said:
you should infiltrate Scamco and hold someone at gun point or something.
One day, I'll play the gba rpg

I hate Scamco for a lot of things, but they have nothing to do with Medabots. I blame Natsume.

ninj4junpei said:
I miss Medabots. :(

Cardboard Senki better get its ass over here.

Edit: I just saw the promo art for Medarots DS. What did they do to Metabee?! Those character designs are rather funky.

We're probably not going to get Cardboard Senki. Apparently SCEA filed trademark papers ages ago, but considering they never spoke of the game, I don't think they have plans.

As for Medarot DS, that's actually not Metabee. That's the latest model in the KBT series. Its production name is KBT10-M Gun Nose. Ikki apparently has taken over Henry's job at the Hobby Store, and has fitted Metabee's medal in a new Arch Beetle like body. However, I've been told you can use the classic Metabee style KBT design as armor to put on your tinpet.

//Off-Topic

Takao said:
We're probably not going to get Cardboard Senki. Apparently SCEA filed trademark papers ages ago, but considering they never spoke of the game, I don't think they have plans.
1zz3jo7.jpg

Takao said:
As for Medarot DS, that's actually not Metabee. That's the latest model in the KBT series. Its production name is KBT10-M Gun Nose. Ikki apparently has taken over Henry's job at the Hobby Store, and has fitted Metabee's medal in a new Arch Beetle like body. However, I've been told you can use the classic Metabee style KBT design as armor to put on your tinpet.

//Off-Topic
Interesting. Damn, Medarots Navi had some really sweet mecha designs. Curse you Natsume. :(

qq more said:
I don't know Ignition very well, but can anyone explain to me why they're bad? Just curious.

Lux-Pain, Muramasa, Arc Rise Fantasia.

broken translation, shit sub (yea, they fucked up subtitles), shit dub

qq more

From The Dust said:
Lux-Pain, Muramasa, Arc Rise Fantasia.

broken translation, shit sub (yea, they fucked up subtitles), shit dub
Oh dear. I think I've heard of Arc Rise Fantasia's awful translation.

EDIT: A friend of mine told me they did Chaos Wars. Is this true? :| :| :|

Jintor said:
I had a sudden image of Aksys doing AAI2 translation and my brain imploded
The success of 999 and the Ace Attorney series is more than enough of a reason for Capcom not to give up on the series in North America.

There is a market for these games here, and to stop localizing the series that played a major role in revitalizing the genre in the west is crazy IMO.

vall03

Aksys or Atlus would be fine for me. Also, as much as I want XSEED to do it, they already have their hands full with Sora no Kiseki and localizing another text heavy game would just be brutal for them.

vall03 said:
Aksys or Atlus would be fine for me. Also, as much as I want XSEED to do it, they already have their hands full with Sora no Kiseki and localizing another text heavy game would just be brutal for them.

Of course, it would be one of XSEED's best selling games ever if they did localize it. Ace Attorney is a lot more high profile than pretty much anything else they've got their hands on.

I'm all for it being on the 3DS with 0 enhancements if it's just to circumvent piracy.

also, what's the reception of this game anyways? I haven't heard anything from it. The trailers make it look a hell of a lot more interesting than the first game -- which was a bore.

Kusagari

chickdigger802 said:
If someone else localized it. It just wouldn't be the same.

The localization of this series IS 80% of the game. And capcom did it superbly.

I have complete faith in Atlus being able to give it the same great localization. Aksys or XSEED...ehh not as much. 999 is not Ace Attorney.

Kusagari said:
I have complete faith in Atlus being able to give it the same great localization. Aksys or XSEED...ehh not as much. 999 is not Ace Attorney.

I'm sure Aksys would be just as fine as Atlus would be. Between 999 and other text-heavy games such as Blazblue's story mode, they've shown that they have top-notch translators. I think any new localization team would struggle with keeping a tone consistent with earlier Ace Attorney games though.

This is all moot however, since no publisher besides Capcom will localize AAI2. End of story.

statham

ace rocks and this sucks at least make it DL on the 3ds, I don't see why they wouldn't release it. it has its fans. repackage it with the other one and sellit for $10 bucks more. the games a riot.

So who has actually played the game? Because I just read something about one of the cases that may be the actual reason it's not coming out.

The case synopsis I read said that Edgeworth is trying to figure out who killed the President of Zheng Fa. It connects to an older case where his father defended someone accused of killing the leader of Japan. Since Ace Attorney takes place in America in the western versions, that would mean the assassination (attempt?) would have to be on an American president, which would not fly at all. They can't change or remove the case because it is the fundamentally most important case of the game.

Is that true or did the case synopsis totally bullshit me? If it is true, I think the "We don't think it would make money" thing is just an excuse.

backlot

Wow, this is really disappointing. This was the last DS game I was looking forward to. I wonder what this means for the localizations of any future Ace Attorney games that might come out.

can't they just
change the ranks to a high ranking official
? Doesn't exactly have to be
the president
. Kinda like in the original AAI,
dealing with embassy figureheads.

backlot said:
Wow, this is really disappointing. This was the last DS game I was looking forward to. I wonder what this means for the localizations of any future Ace Attorney games that might come out.

Regular AA games sold well. They'll be fine. Unfortunately AAI didn't sell enough. Otherwise there'd be no question. It's a bit shocking it basically bombed. Not shocking after all the reviews, obviously.

GhaleonQ

Alexander O. Smith:
@GhaleonQ I hadn't heard -- got a link?

As I said in the other topic, this is as much his baby as anything he's done. He applied to do 1 (his favorite translation in terms of dialogue) basically anonymously, Capcom wanted to cut costs on 2 so they didn't hire him, and they localized 3 at the same time as 4 so he chose 4. They presumably cut costs again on Prosecutor 1.

SAVE US.

GhaleonQ said:
Alexander O. Smith:
@GhaleonQ I hadn't heard -- got a link?

As I said in the other topic, this is as much his baby as anything he's done. He applied to do 1 (his favorite translation in terms of dialogue) basically anonymously, Capcom wanted to cut costs on 2 so they didn't hire him, and they localized 3 at the same time as 4 so he chose 4. They presumably cut costs again on Prosecutor 1.

SAVE US.
So even though the series became a surprise success, they were already cutting costs. Fascinating.
9tehld.jpg

Top Bottom