• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

Barrett2

Ben2749 said:
capcom_troll.png
*saved

MechaX

Ben2749 said:
*CapcomTrollImage*

... Unfortunately, I think this is going to be used quite a bit in the next several months (especially as more info on DmC and Operation Raccoon City comes out).

Oh man, just to think we were calling them CapGod not too long ago.

MechaX said:
... Unfortunately, I think this is going to be used quite a bit in the next several months.

I am more and more leaning toward the theory that some severe belt-tightening is going on at Capcom.

MechaX said:
... Unfortunately, I think this is going to be used quite a bit in the next several months (especially as more info on DmC and Operation Raccoon City comes out).

Indeed, what a shame.
ShockingAlberto said:
I am more and more leaning toward the theory that some severe belt-tightening is going on at Capcom.
Considering all of the talent they have been bleeding, it doesn't look like they have learned anything.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MechaX said:
This is karma coming around to bite people in the ass for saying something so stupid.

...Unfortunately there's a bunch of us who are getting hit with the collateral damage.

dvolovets

bon said:
AAI comes out in english
Fans: LOL worst Ace Attorney ever! *nobody buys it*

AAI2 not coming out in english
Fans: WHAT THE HELL CAPCOM?!?
Even if that's true, the worst Ace Attorney game is still a lot better than most other games. That said, I don't recall the fanbase hating AAI that much (pretty sure either Justice for All or Apollo Justice got the most hate). I think they're all excellent games, though.

Jokeropia

Well this fucking sucks. I hope we'll get a fan translation, like the one that was in progress for AA3 before it was cleared for a western release.

qq more

Lafiel said:
Being a worst Ace Attorney game is still a pretty good game.>_>
^ This.

AA4 was the worst I thought and yet I still enjoyed it.

With that said, I thought AAI1 was a great game despite some of its flaws. I'd rank it above AA2 at least.

Masked Man

I said wow
Well, that's annoying.
LLShC.gif

Granted, GK1/AAI wasn't perfect--as has been made perfectly clear already--but it was far from a "bad" game. I had thought about importing it (I imported GK1), so I guess this just seals the deal. Oh, Capcom...

People could barely find the first game outside of amazon and gamestop it's no wonder why it didn't sell well.

now we get blamed for their mistakes

I was thinking earlier, why hasn't Capcom released an Ace Attorney compilation, at least in the US? Since it is such a story-driven series, with each new entry it becomes harder and more daunting for a newcomer to get into the series. It hasn't been impossible to obtain all of the games in the series, but we are talking about a series that spans four main entries and a spin-off in one generation. I realize that's why they started releasing the previous games on Wiiware and iOS, but that was last year and already too late. Ideally they should have at least released a compilation of the first three games sometime before the release of Ace Attorney Apollo Justice.

ninj4junpei said:
I was thinking earlier, why hasn't Capcom released an Ace Attorney compilation, at least in the US? Since it is such a story-driven series, with each new entry it becomes harder and more daunting for a newcomer to get into the series. It hasn't been real hard to get all of the games in the series, but we are talking about a series that spans four main entries and a spin-off in one generation. I realize that's why they started releasing the previous games on Wiiware and iOS, but that was last year and already too late. Ideally they should have at least released a compilation of the first three games sometime before the release of Ace Attorney Apollo Justice.
Yo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No way! I'm pissed. I liked AAI a lot; just the last case was iffy.

First Last Ranker and now this? What the hell, Capcom?! :mad:

jay

bon said:
AAI comes out in english

I bought AAI new so I am allowed to have an opinion, right?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
AAI wasn't the first time Capcom threw their game into a minefield on purpose this generation.

Just look at Zack & Wiki.

ninj4junpei said:
wmb85t.jpg

You completely missed my point.
No, I got it.

They didn't release a compilation because they can then resell the games piecemeal on other services. It was a calculated, though perhaps incorrect, decision.

Wizpig

TEJ said:
You must be recalling some alternate version of history. I don't remember the fanbase hating it, especially not as much as AJ.
Exactly, especially here on NeoGAF, almost everyone in the official thread was saying how it is a better game than AJ. (even if I don't agree)

So yeah, bull.

If anyone was "hating" on something it was the people who wanted Gyakuten 5 instead of AAI 2.
But after the first trailers, characters introductions etc, at least I changed my mind.

I want to play this game, and it is maybe the game I waited for the most after Ghost Trick and before Zelda SS.

ShockingAlberto said:
No, I got it.

They didn't release a compilation because they can then resell the games piecemeal on other services. It was a calculated, though perhaps incorrect, decision.
Calculated? I think you are giving Capcom way too much credit. I highly doubt they were waiting for some perceived opportune moment. I think it's just more of a case that no one at Capcom even fucking thought about it.

ShockingAlberto said:
I didn't say it wasn't incompetent, it was just purposeful.
I'm just saying that Capcom is very short-sighted, which isn't an astounding observation I know. They obviously started this generation with a solid plan and it worked very well for them, but somewhere along the way they stopped, or at least paused, planning and have been fumbling ever since.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does AAI2 come with an English option like the GS releases in Japan did for DS? Or do I have to wait for a fan translation? :(

Wizpig

TheSeks said:
Does AAI2 come with an English option like the GS releases in Japan did for DS? Or do I have to wait for a fan translation? :(
If so, nobody would be complaining.

It doesn't come with an English translation, because they are not doing it.

The only Japanese AA games with an English translation in the same DS cartridge are AA, JFA and T&T.

Not even Apollo had it.

Doorman

bon said:
AAI comes out in english

You can say this about the fan reaction if you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that those fans still ultimately bought the game before coming to that conclusion. And I'm sure a number of those fans would have bought AAI2 even if there was a bunch of stuff in the first one that they didn't like. I know I'd be one of those people.

I can understand where Capcom might be hesitant on this. AA games have a lot of script to translate and the ongoing nature of the storyline and recurring characters means that it's not the easiest franchise for people to ever just hop in on a new installment before playing the others first. The rate of people leaving the series probably is higher than the rate of new people getting into it at this point.

But on a personal note, that doesn't make this any less of a dickheaded travesty of a decision. Ace Attorney started off as such a wonderful underdog story that Capcom built into one of their major franchises, and now more and more it feels like they've run out of patience with it being "good, but not great" and are phasing it out again. Bitterly disappointing.

udivision

Doorman said:
Ace Attorney started off as such a wonderful underdog story that Capcom built into one of their major franchises, and now more and more it feels like they've run out of patience with it being "good, but not great" and are phasing it out again. Bitterly disappointing.

This man speaks the truth. The sad truth.

would the number of sales justify the localization though? as you said there is a lot of script to translate. the gains could be so insignificant, the localization just wouldn't be worth it.

From The Dust said:
would the number of sales justify the localization though? as you said there is a lot of script to translate. the gains could be so insignificant, the localization just wouldn't be worth it.
Actual translation is far from the most expensive part of localization. Voice acting and lip synching would be.

This game has none of those issues.

Aeana

ShockingAlberto said:
Actual translation is far from the most expensive part of localization. Voice acting and lip synching would be.

This game has none of those issues.
People act like text translation is trivial around here... it takes plenty of time and by extension money.

Rebochan

Aeana said:
People act like text translation is trivial around here... it takes plenty of time and by extension money.

Indeed, and games like this one have a ton of it.

Still, how did we get Ghost Trick while this one got left behind?

Sure, I hated AAI for feeling so lazy and formulaic after Apollo at least *tried* to break out of it, but I was willing to give it AAI2 chance.

Jintor

Rebochan said:
Indeed, and games like this one have a ton of it.

Still, how did we get Ghost Trick while this one got left behind?

Sure, I hated AAI for feeling so lazy and formulaic after Apollo at least *tried* to break out of it, but I was willing to give it AAI2 chance.

Possibly Capcom were experimenting with a new IP by the same designer to see if that could break out. I haven't seen sales figures for Ghost Trick (although critical acclaim is through the roof) but somehow I doubt it was a smash hit

Rebochan

I heard Ghost Trick didn't do so hot in Japan, haven't checked on US numbers.

Still though, I have to wonder why they're so cagey about this one. They released the original Phoenix Wright title in a very limited print run and apparently got more sales than expected. I've seen the numbers on the last AAI title, and I'd really love to put those into context with where they expected the original title to be.

hamchan

Rebochan said:
I heard Ghost Trick didn't do so hot in Japan, haven't checked on US numbers.

Still though, I have to wonder why they're so cagey about this one. They released the original Phoenix Wright title in a very limited print run and apparently got more sales than expected. I've seen the numbers on the last AAI title, and I'd really love to put those into context with where they expected the original title to be.
Tell me about the numbers.

MechaX

If it means anything, I do remember Ghost Trick going to $19.99 status probably two-three weeks after release at GameStop.

Top Bottom