• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

wrowa

ShockingAlberto said:
Honestly, this is how I feel.

I doubt I will 100% commit to it, but I think in general I am going to prefer Capcom games used whereas I used to prefer them new.
Not buying their upcoming (3)DS games only makes the chances for further AA localizations worse, though...

Wizpig

A friend just reminded me that this is the 10th anniversary of the Ace Attorney series.

Fantastic way to remember it, Capcom US, thanks.

Meanwhile in Japan...

33lcnif.jpg

Yes, that's a Gyakuten Saiban puzzle game for phones.

AAI was pretty mediocre, so it's hard for me to mourn the possible death of the series in the west. and i rather see it die than downgraded to a phone game :p

of course i still want to see it happen as a physical release, same goes for last ranker.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hopefully Nintendo picks it up then. NoA brought Mega Man 6 to the NES due to Capcom not wanting to publish the game so long after the SNES came out.

Kusagari

Wizpig said:
A friend just reminded me that this is the 10th anniversary of the Ace Attorney series.

Fantastic way to remember it, Capcom US, thanks.

Meanwhile in Japan...

33lcnif.jpg

Yes, that's a Gyakuten Saiban puzzle game for phones.

Why the hell hasn't that been brought to the iPhone in America?

By the way, are there any plans of porting Justice for All and Trials & Tribulations to iOS? I've gifted AA to so many people with iPhones and now they all want more, but they can't have any because they're not even on iTunes!
LLShC.gif

ShockingAlberto said:
It's not really a boycott or anything.

Capcom just used to be a company I like supporting. Now I kind of don't.
I would rather decide what to support on a "per game" basis, though. You're just hurting yourself otherwise. :p
Even though I agree that Capcom has been a difficult company to like for the past year or so.

That quote about Okamiden already doing better than the first AAI is the biggest bunch of disingenuous bullshit I've read all day. Hey, here's a thought: maybe the fact that Okamiden is doing better has something to do with the fact that I CAN GO BUY IT AT BEST BUY, SOMETHING I COULDN'T DO WITH ACE ATTORNEY INVESTIGATIONS (or Ghost Trick, for that matter). Wait, what's that? A retail game that's being sold at more places than Gamestop and Amazon is likely to have better sales?

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Also they didn't even fucking release AAI in a bunch of European countries, IIRC.

IchigoSharingan said:
Well Layton sells. I doubt that's a problem. But them not bringing it even after who knows how many years is surely a bad sign.
The series has been behind Japan since the beginning. Layton 4 itself isn't abnormally late.

Time between Layton 1 NA and Layton 2 NA: 18 months
Time between Layton 2 NA and Layton 3 NA: 13 months
Time since Layton 3 NA: 7 months

I AM JOHN! said:
That quote about Okamiden already doing better than the first AAI is the biggest bunch of disingenuous bullshit I've read all day. Hey, here's a thought: maybe the fact that Okamiden is doing better has something to do with the fact that I CAN GO BUY IT AT BEST BUY, SOMETHING I COULDN'T DO WITH ACE ATTORNEY INVESTIGATIONS (or Ghost Trick, for that matter). Wait, what's that? A retail game that's being sold at more places than Gamestop and Amazon is likely to have better sales?

Also they didn't even fucking release AAI in a bunch of European countries, IIRC.

How do we know Best Buy simply weren't interested in selling AAI? How do we know those other Euro countries didn't have feedback/interest in AAI?

I don't want to play devil's advocate, I'd rather be optimistic and try new markets. But I certainly doubt Capcom functions on feel more than research.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The series has been behind Japan since the beginning. Layton 4 itself isn't abnormally late.

mmmm that's good data. Thank you. So with the mobile market Capcom certainly respond hard to performance.

IchigoSharingan said:
How do we know Best Buy simply weren't interested in selling AAI? How do we know those other Euro countries didn't have feedback/interest in AAI?

I don't want to play devil's advocate, I'd rather be optimistic and try new markets. But I certainly doubt Capcom functions on feel more than research.
I don't know about what happened with their failing to stock certain retailers (albeit I can't figure out why places like Best Buy just simply wouldn't carry it considering they carry basically every other video game; it makes no sense to me, not to mention it's not like, going by my anecdotal evidence, copies of previous Phoenix Wright games lingered on shelves for years or anything), but I know for damn certain that they simply pulled the piracy excuse for not bringing it out in certain countries. I wish I was kidding.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
JoshuaJSlone said:

Best case IMO would be to get Layton 4 out in say July, and Layton 5 out in November, though that may not space them out well enough.

wrowa

JoshuaJSlone said:

The Layton series has a clear releasing scheme following the European release of Layton 1. There's a new Layton game every October +- one month.

slaughterking said:
I would rather decide what to support on a "per game" basis, though. You're just hurting yourself otherwise. :p
Even though I agree that Capcom has been a difficult company to like for the past year or so.
I think people are misunderstanding. I have no intention of not buying games I would buy because they are choosing not to localize a game on shaky reasoning.

I am, however, now lumping Capcom in the same group I lump with most publishers: their shit is going to be $30 a month after release used, so why buy it new?

I used to buy their games new because I liked the company and liked to support their efforts. When they stop making those efforts, I stop choosing to support them.

wrowa

Drkirby said:
Best case IMO would be to get Layton 4 out in say July, and Layton 5 out in November, though that may not space them out well enough.
That wouldn't be a smart move, I think, due to two reasons:

1. The Layton games are long-seller, releasing two games in such a short period of time would cannibalize Layton 4's sales - which probably would also hurt Layton 5 in the long run, since it builds up story-wise on Layton 4. (The problem here is: Due to the sinking sales of DS software the legs of Layton 4 probably wont be that strong anyway -- it wouldn't surprise me if L5 is preparing a 3DS port at the moment)

2. Releasing two games so close to each other would only speed up brand fatigue; something that already is a big problem for the series.

threenote

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I really hope that because there is so much outrage over this, we'll see a fan translation, and quickly.
I'm sure we will. Ace Attorney is one of those series with very loyal fans.

It's a shame Capcom is willing to screw over loyal fans.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think people are misunderstanding. I have no intention of not buying games I would buy because they are choosing not to localize a game on shaky reasoning.

I am, however, now lumping Capcom in the same group I lump with most publishers: their shit is going to be $30 a month after release used, so why buy it new?

I used to buy their games new because I liked the company and liked to support their efforts. When they stop making those efforts, I stop choosing to support them.
I get what you're saying and you're free to do whatever, but if you think your support "means" something you should still support the games you like regardless of who publishes them. I'm also very disappoited in Capcom, but I will never miss a MonHun release! :p

Also, it's great to be in Europe sometimes, because one month after release we get games new for 20 bucks. :lol

Drkirby said:
Hopefully Nintendo picks it up then. NoA brought Mega Man 6 to the NES due to Capcom not wanting to publish the game so long after the SNES came out.
They haven't even localised Mother 3 AKA the best RPG of all time...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
wrowa said:
That wouldn't be a smart move, I think, due to two reasons:

1. The Layton games are long-seller, releasing two games in such a short period of time would cannibalize Layton 4's sales - which probably would also hurt Layton 5 in the long run, since it builds up story-wise on Layton 4. (The problem here is: Due to the sinking sales of DS software the legs of Layton 4 probably wont be that strong anyway -- it wouldn't surprise me if L5 is preparing a 3DS port at the moment)

2. Releasing two games so close to each other would only speed up brand fatigue; something that already is a big problem for the series.
A Layton 4 3DS would be a great move IMO, I just don't know if Level 5 wants to do it.

They have to stop supporting a console at some point, Mother 3 came out in the wave of games where Nintendo of America was told to drop support. SE most likely had some contract with Nintendo to publish all 3 FF Remakes, which is why Final Fantasy VI ended up releasing (And I am pretty sure SE did the localization)

Mother 1 ended up with a similar problem. Game was translated and ready to go, but the SNES came out and sales were projected at being to low at that point.

Drkirby said:
A Layton 4 3DS would be a great move IMO, I just don't know if Level 5 wants to do it.
Nah, they don't want to do that. They are pretty damn busy with all their currently announced stuff anyway. :p
Explicitly advertising it as a 3DS compatible game is more than enough I think.

darkpaladinmfc said:

Because Mother 2 performed poorly in the states (you can attribute this to poor marketing, but bosses just care about results, not reasons).

I sense a pattern developing..

Vamphuntr said:
This is not a really good point. A lof of RPGs sold poorly in the SNES era.

And the performance was the underlying reason for not continuing a series in certain territories (or altogether). Like Secret of Evermore. Some companies try again, others don't.

Augemitbutter said:
AAI was pretty mediocre, so it's hard for me to mourn the possible death of the series in the west. and i rather see it die than downgraded to a phone game :p

of course i still want to see it happen as a physical release, same goes for last ranker.
Importer impressions about AAI2 are fairly positive, saying they've addressed the pacing and character development issues that people hated about the first AAI. I really liked AAI regardless :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Importer impressions about AAI2 are fairly positive, saying they've addressed the pacing and character development issues that people hated about the first AAI. I really liked AAI regardless :(
Well, at least the games shouldn't be to hard for fans to translate. I bet you groups would even record their own Object clips where needed.

bon

AAI comes out in english
Fans: LOL worst Ace Attorney ever! *nobody buys it*

AAI2 not coming out in english
Fans: WHAT THE HELL CAPCOM?!?

TEJ

bon said:
AAI comes out in english

You must be recalling some alternate version of history. I don't remember the fanbase hating it, especially not as much as AJ.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
bon said:
AAI comes out in english

Being a worst Ace Attorney game is still a pretty good game.>_>

bon said:
AAI comes out in english

I liked it.

If you judge a game's reception solely by the internet community's criticism, then no game should come out ever.

Teppic

The series ended with the third game anyway. I'd still like to play it, but AA4 and AAI lacked what made the first games so great, and I don't really think this game will be any different.

Top Bottom