• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [DS] Actually Definitely Not Coming to the West

All it takes is a single drop of milk to ruin the pure black magic in the cup, Capcom is that milk! *spews coffee*
Nope. not even modified Godot quotes can help me now, I bet the people who decided to not localize this game are have black Psyche Locks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Snaku said:
I think you mean FUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOUUUUU CAPCOM! Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

Yeah, and I just picked up the first one ;_; It doesn't make any sense because they've localized the others and even brought over Ghost Trick :/

jvalioli said:
Well people fantranslate Tales games and RPGs have quite a bit of text and are longer.
I was trying to think about this, but without some script dumps at hand it was hard to decide. RPGs are longer, but there are also longer periods of being in dungeons and battling where there's not nearly as much text.

*check*
I see GameFAQs has a text script of the first game that's over 1.2 megabytes in size. Granted, that includes character names repeated many times and additional text for formatting. There's a Tales of Symphonia script at 0.85 megabytes, though with fewer characters used for formatting.

Lesiroth

slaughterking said:
A DSi release would honestly suck. I'm nobody that despises DD games, but for some games it just seems wrong to not have a physical copy. And a cult series like AA that is already physically represented with lots of games in everyones collection is surely one of them.
And that's completely ignoring the fact that Nintendos online infrastructure is awful and I'm not willing to give them my money to tie a license to my hardware.
Yep, the worst time to make a DSi release would be now, with the 3DS out and all. And I'm pretty sure a large portion of the fanbase could still be rocking DS Phats/Lites.

ShockingAlberto said:
They won't bring over things like Last Ranker, but DmC will be defended to its grave.

Last Ranker at least has the semi-excuse of being on the PSP. (Just like Namco's mishandling of the Tales series is abominable and unforgivable, but their failure to bring over RGC2 themselves is at least sort of explicable because the licensing costs make it more expensive than most titles of its scope.)

Basically, although it personally pains me, I can forgive a company for a scenario where a rare title has some unusual extenuating circumstance that keeps it from seeing an English release -- I'm much less happy to forgive the overly-conservative number-crunching foolishness that leads to more of these decisions, especially combined with companies' unwillingness to task matters out to niche publishers who can handle the matter better.

PKrockin said:
While we're on the topic of unlocalized games, I'd just like to ask Nintendo where the hell my second Fire Emblem DS game is.

In case you hadn't noticed, Nintendo has literally the worst localization record of any publisher in the industry now and it's getting worse every year.

GhaleonQ said:
Seriously, if you can't sell a game in a surprise hit series on the BIGGEST INSTALL BASE EVER IN VIDEO GAMES (and with reused graphics on a portable system), you're incompetent.

Yeah. I don't like to badmouth individual figures at a company when obviously I don't have all the information about who makes what decisions or what secret, more unseemly factors influence decisions like this, but "we couldn't figure out how to sell this game without taking a loss" seriously does not instill confidence.

JordanLMiller said:
Alright, now how long before we get the news that Layton 4 isn't coming either?

Well Layton sells. I doubt that's a problem. But them not bringing it even after who knows how many years is surely a bad sign.

Capcom's management isn't looking too impressive these days..

JordanLMiller said:
Alright, now how long before we get the news that Layton 4 isn't coming either?

If this happens, I expect it to be more a matter of incompetence than malicious intent. Nintendo won't bring it over (because Nintendo of America are the devil), but since Level-5 are self-publishing in the West now and since Layton 4 begins a trilogy that continues with the already-confirmed-for-US-release Layton 5, they'll certainly want to bring it over. If it doesn't happen, it'll probably be because their reach (in terms of Western releases) exceeds their grasp.

Wizpig

Slaughterking is right and digital delivery for some games suck ass, especially games available at retail.

However, at this point, i'd buy it no matter what.
I already ordered a Japanese copy just to have at least the physical copy.

It will never (never) happen, but they could make it for the 3DSware, even if DS games do not display very well on the 3DS.

But one of Nintendo policies is that no games available at retail can be sold on their shop.

Madao

i just thought about something.

couldn't capcom port AAI2 to 3DS and add 3D enhancements to the game just like some other publisshers who have ported their late DS games to 3DS? this way, AAI2 could come over the same way the original series came to america (the GBA versions didn't release originally but the DS ports were the ones to cross over)

uchihasasuke said:

couldn't capcom port AAI2 to 3DS and add 3D enhancements to the game just like some other publisshers who have ported their late DS games to 3DS? this way, AAI2 could come over the same way the original series came to america (the GBA versions didn't release originally but the DS ports were the ones to cross over)

That just adds more cost. Makes it harder for sales expectations to exceed localization cost. They are going on AAI sales to justify their conservative approach. For Capcom management, they already did the estimates and looked at costs and said no, and moved on with their business.

One would need truly compelling evidence to get them to look at the case again and push away the thought that localizing the game is a risk that won't end up in negative numbers.

Alex

Capcom is pretty disappointing on the localization front lately, although they are on the development too, but still I wanted this and Last Ranker.

uchihasasuke said:

I doubt they would put so much effort into an enhanced port of a spin-off when they are already completely overwhelmed by a "simple" localization.

Wizpig

uchihasasuke said:

They could also do it without 3d enhancements.

So the answer is yes but the 3DS has a smaller install base compared to the DS, so Capcom would be stupid to do so.

Oh and:

29nk0af.jpg

Yipee, maybe they'll bring the unannounced, non-existent sequels, like Gyakuten 5 or Gyakuten Kenji 3.

Peff said:
Keyword is NDS

iPhone release confirmed.
That would be the shittiest option available, but of course i would still buy it, day-one.

Wizpig said:

So the answer is yes but the 3DS has a smaller install base compared to the DS, so Capcom would be stupid to do so.

Oh and:

Yipee, maybe they'll bring the unannounced, non-existent sequels, like Gyakuten 5 or Gyakuten Kenji 3.

Well that makes sense, as the Phoenix Wright games didn't bomb as hard. AAI did (in their eyes).

Wizpig said:

Oh and:

That would be the shittiest option available, but of course i would still buy it, day-one.
His post is probably just damage control. >:| Who the frak calls it the "Nds"? If the Ace Attorney series truly is on a decline in US, I don't see how we can be hopeful for future titles. The localization costs are only going to rise, especially if future titles have voice acting.

Kusagari

I'd love to see them bring it to iPhone since the DS version seems dead. However, would they really bother translating all this for an iPhone game?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wizpig said:

Oh and:

29nk0af.jpg

... sorry Capcom, but my sister and I aren't buying a 3DS or an iDevice for one game. Release the DS game in the US.

... :(

I'm fucking upset. AA is only my favorite new franchise introduced stateside this gen.

ninj4junpei said:
His post is probably just damage control. >:| Who the frak calls it the "Nds"?

It's not damage control. They think AAI2 will bomb because AAI bombed. The Phoenix Wright games sold well, so they will bring those stateside. They don't believe the improvements to AAI2 are enough to give it legs. They have more resources to gauge this than we do. Does it suck for us? Of course.

.....but now my Ace Attorney Investigations mini briefcase has more value! *fondles it lovingly*

wrowa

charlequin said:
If this happens, I expect it to be more a matter of incompetence than malicious intent. Nintendo won't bring it over (because Nintendo of America are the devil), but since Level-5 are self-publishing in the West now and since Layton 4 begins a trilogy that continues with the already-confirmed-for-US-release Layton 5, they'll certainly want to bring it over. If it doesn't happen, it'll probably be because their reach (in terms of Western releases) exceeds their grasp.
The success of the Layton series is the sole reason that made it possible for Level-5 to open a US branch in the first place, so I strongly doubt that they would pass on Layton 4. The only scenario I could imagine where Level-5 isn't publishing Layton 4 is a scenario where the company is of the opinion that they are better off profit-wise when they continue their partnership with Nintendo. Nintendo probably wouldn't pass on Layton, either. To the contrary, the Layton series is a strong-seller and I doubt Nintendo is happy to lose the series. Even if NoA should pass on the publishing rights for whatever reason, NoE would happily localize the game for the European market.

Actually, since we haven't heard anything about a Western release of Layton 5 since last E3, I'm pretty confident that they will continue the current releasing scheme (whether they are self-publishing or not).

dvolovets

Speaking of localization, Okamiden's was complete garbage. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and have already seen more than 10 misspellings, missing words, or just plain grammatical errors.

Wizpig

dvolovets said:
Speaking of localization, Okamiden's was complete garbage. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and have already seen more than 10 misspellings, missing words, or just plain grammatical errors.
I agree, I wanted to talk about this too, but it's more about little time for translation than anything else. (not the translator's fault)

dvolovets said:

My rule of thumb is: the crappier the grammar/spelling, the crappier they pay the translators.

Sourcing this back to AAi2, we can assume that even with pennies paid for translation and more for localization, Capcom has very little confidence in the series stateside.

how to say bastard in japanese? Teme?

IchigoSharingan said:
It's not damage control. They think AAI2 will bomb because AAI bombed. The Phoenix Wright games sold well, so they will bring those stateside. They don't believe the improvements to AAI2 are enough to give it legs. They have more resources to gauge this than we do. Does it suck for us? Of course.
I have a hard time believing that. The last main series entry was Apollo Justice. Of course there is Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright, but what about after that? The next entry will likely be called Apollo Justice 2.

qq more

ninj4junpei said:
I have a hard time believing that. The last main series entry was Apollo Justice. Of course there is Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright, but what about after that? The next likely game will be Apollo Justice 2/GS5.
I've always assumed that they wouldn't be making anymore Apollo Justice games for some reason. How well was it received in sales and critics?

qq more said:
I've always assumed that they wouldn't be making anymore Apollo Justice games for some reason. How well was it received in sales and critics?

It sold very well in Japan (it outsold Investigations there), but a lot of fans really disliked the new direction. I'm not sure how it did here, but I think the fact that we haven't seen an actual continuation of the story speaks for itself.

qq more said:
I would be SO pissed if that happens.
That wont happen for a number of reasons. :p The most obvious one is certainly the price acceptance of the iOS audience conflicting with Capcoms apparent profitability concerns. The other one is the fact that they would certainly release it on NDS anyway if they actually bothered to port AND translate the game for the iOS market.

Why is anyone concerned about Layton 4? The Layton series sees a new game released each year, meaning that Layton 4 should rightfully be coming out by the end of this year. Layton 5 is also a direct sequel (precipitating the need for a release of Layton 4) and has already been confirmed for English release; and the series sells better in the US and EU than it does in Japan.

If nothing about the game gets shown at E3 then yeah, I'd be worried. But at this point, it's the equivalent of a Zelda game not getting a worldwide release. Not going to not happen.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
It sold very well in Japan (it outsold Investigations there), but a lot of fans really disliked the new direction. I'm not sure how it did here, but I think the fact that we haven't seen an actual continuation of the story speaks for itself.
I think the problem is that the next mainline entry will conclude the series, so Capcom wanted to milk the fanbase with the spin-off in the mean time.

As others have said, it doesn't make sense to release it on 3DS because the install base is low, but moreso because the fan base of this game is the one that will keep their DS's and buy this game months after 3DS has released, because they are hardcore.

wrowa

qq more said:
After 4 years without the announcement of a sequel we can safely assume that Apollo Justice is dead for good.

Wizpig

qq more said:
It's honestly not a matter of "Apollo Justice games" like he stole Phoenix's place, i understand not everyone likes the character but Apollo is the fourth chapter and the original series Creator was there as a supervisor and he cares about the game: he considers it the end of the series. (yeah, he doesn't care about AAI)

What i mean is that, at one point or another this spin-off series, "Gyakuten Kenji", must end; heck, it probably ended with the second game.

They are now taking time with a crossover game, but if they do continue the main series with Gyakuten Saiban 5, even if it's not "Apollo Justice For All" or "Phoenix Wright Returns" but instead "Chris Svensson Ace CO" or something else, it will still be part of the main series.

Problem is, if they skip this "spin-off" title, we have small chances for Gyakuten 5 or any other future title.

Capcom (Japan) might even end the series with Gyakuten Kenji 2, since the original creator isn't too sure about returning to the series... but the series sells well in Japan, so that's not going to happen.

It's more likely that the series will return to be a Japan exclusive one.

If the series does end like this, it's sad for two reasons:

1- No Kenji 2 for us western fans
2- No answers for Apollo Justice, even if that's a minor problem; I think Apollo's ending (the last one chronologically) is quite awesome.
ninj4junpei said:
I think the problem is that the next mainline entry will conclude the series, so Capcom wanted to milk the fanbase with the spin-off in the mean time.
Also this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
slaughterking said:
That wont happen for a number of reasons. :p The most obvious one is certainly the price acceptance of the iOS audience conflicting with Capcoms apparent profitability concerns. The other one is the fact that they would certainly release it on NDS anyway if they actually bothered to port AND translate the game for the iOS market.
How much is Ghost Trick for iOS?

Kusagari

Layton 4 WILL come to Europe at the least. The series sells gangbusters in Europe and it would be beyond idiotic for Level 5/Nintendo/whoever not to bring it there.

Didn't Apollo Justice end
on a sort of cliffhanger?
All I want is Apollo Justice 2 to serve as the main series finale, then I'd be content with letting Ace Attorney go. I honestly don't care about the Investigations spinoffs.

If this is true, I will never buy a Capcom game brand new again. I'll wait until I can pick them up used.

Capcom will never see another penny of my money if they withold even a single Ace Attorney game from us. It's my favourite franchise in years.

If people are going to start a petition, I suggest this is what everybody threaten to do as well. A few thousand people saying they want a game means nothing to Capcom, but a few thousand people saying that they won't be supporting Capcom directly anymore isn't quite so easy to ignore. And let's not kid ourselves by threatening to never buy any Capcom game ever again, as that's incredibly transparent. But not buying their games brand new is perfectly feasible.

Wizpig

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Didn't Apollo Justice end
on a sort of cliffhanger?
All I want is Apollo Justice 2 to serve as the main series finale, then I'd be content with letting Ace Attorney go.
Yes but you could also see it as
the whole law system changes, everyone is happy... and we still have cliffhangers, but those are of minor importance

By the way, looking at sales data over the web, it looks to me like Okamiden didn't even sell half of what AAI 1 did in the US / Europe.

If that about "well, Okamiden sold veeeery well!" was just an excuse, this just got even more sad.

Negator

Now there's even more little hope of ever seeing a Breath of Fire revival. Even if they make it, Capcom wouldn't fucking localize it.

This is bullshit, Capcom. Pure bullshit.

Ben2749 said:
If this is true, I will never buy a Capcom game brand new again. I'll wait until I can pick them up used.
Honestly, this is how I feel.

I doubt I will 100% commit to it, but I think in general I am going to prefer Capcom games used whereas I used to prefer them new.

Lesiroth

Wizpig said:
Yes but you could also see it as
the whole law system changes, everyone is happy... and we still have cliffhangers, but those are of minor importance

By the way, looking at sales data over the web, it looks to me like Okamiden didn't even sell half of what AAI 1 did in the US / Europe.

If that about "well, Okamiden sold veeeery well!" was just an excuse, this just got even more sad.
Source?

Top Bottom