• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

LQX

banner.jpg

Update: Free Game Add-ons
banner.png

F-15C "Death Rider"
(PlayStation users, search PSN)

Aircraft List:
3_picto_flightID.png

Fighters:
A-10A ThunderboltⅡ
F-14D Super Tomcat
F-15C Eagle
F-15E Strike Eagle
F-16C Fighting Falcon
F-16F Fighting Falcon
F-22A Raptor
F-35B LightningⅡ
F/A-18F Super Hornet
F-2A
F-4E PhantomⅡ
Gripen C
MiG-21bis Fishbed
MiG-29A Fulcrum
Mirage2000-5
PAK-FA
RafaleM
Su-24MP Fencer
Su-25TM Frogfoot
Su-33 Flanker-D
Su-34 Fullback
Su-35 Flanker-E
Su-47 Berkut
Typhoon

Helicopters:
AH-64D Apache Longbow
Mi-24 Hind
MH-60 BLACK HAWK (Door gunner)

Bombers:
B-1B
B-2 Spirit
F-117A Nighthawk

Gunship:
AC-130U Spooky

Main Chracters:

Warwolf12.jpg

William "WarWolf 1" Biship
3_picto_flightID.png

Lead pilot of the 108th Task Force. A professional serviceman and a person of few words, his calm and cool action under pressure, extensive battle experience and unquestionable skill earn him the steadfast respect of his subordinates. His encounter with a formidable rival in Africa will test his skills as a pilot, and push him to the very brink.

CallSign-Shooter1.jpg

Doug "Shooter 1", "D-Ray" Robinson
3_picto_flightID.png

Captain of the AH-64D Apache Longbow Shooter Squadron, and commander of the Longbow and MH-60 BLACK HAWK Nomad Squadron. Having worked his way up through the ranks, he takes a strict yet protective stance toward his subordinates.

Warwolf_2.jpg

Jose "Guts", "WarWolf2" Gutierrez
3_picto_flightID.png

An experienced pilot and F-15 flight instructor, his skills nearly rival those of Colonel Bishop. A mood maker, his smart-aleck attitude and quick wit on the ground contrast with his often serious attitude in the air.

Spooky1Razor1_.jpg

Janice "Spooky 01", "Razor 1" Rehl
3_picto_flightID.png

A female bomber pilot, she is assigned to operations in Africa at Lt. Colonel Bishop's request, where she pilots the AC-130U "Spooky 01". Independent and assertive, she is also free spirited and often jokes with Captain Gutierrez in the vane of rival siblings.

Akula_.jpg

Markov "Akula" Markov
3_picto_flightID.png

An ace pilot of rebel forces (actually a member of NRF.) His piloting skills are equal to those of the main character Bishop in every aspect. His identity is unknown through most of the game, basically his attitude implies that he looks down on people.

Patches:

full_logo_1.png
full_logo_3.png
full_logo_4.png
full_logo_2.png

Story:
3_picto_flightID.png

The story is written by New York Times bestselling author Jim DeFelice, and takes place in the year 2015. Lieutenant Colonel William Bishop, leader of the Warwolf Squadron, is part of the NATO-led 108th Task Force, who are on a mission to stop an anti-government insurgency that is sweeping throughout the African continent. The 108th Task Force is part of a large multinational military force in Africa that includes U.N. troops as well as Russian support forces.

The team soon discover that the insurgents have a new type of super weapon called "Trinity", and that they are being aided by an infamous Russian ace pilot and mercenary, Colonel Andrei "Akula" Markov. The race to secure the super weapon begins and the conflict soon engulfs the rest of the world.

Gameplay:
3_picto_flightID.png

The major new gameplay feature is a system called "Close-Range Assault" (CRA), which aims to increase the intensity and bring the action closer to the player, without the feeling of "shooting at faraway dots" commonly seen in flight games. In the game, it is named "Dogfight Mode" (DFM) for air-to-air battles and "Air Strike Mode" (ASM) for air-to-ground targets.[4] They are not optional, as certain planes cannot be destroyed without CRA. To initiate DFM, the player taps LB+RB on the Xbox 360 and L2+R2 on the PS3 when they have gotten close enough to the plane they are targeting. ASM is initiated by pressing the same buttons at specific points around the map.

Also new to the series are attack helicopter missions, stealth bomber missions, and levels where the player controls a Black Hawk door gunner and an AC-130.

A new multiplayer mode called "Capital Conquest" involves two teams of 8 vs. 8 where each team takes turns either defending or attacking a world capital, such as Paris and Washington, D.C.. In this mode, fighters, attackers, attack helicopters, and bombers can fly together simultaneously. Each type of aircraft will have its advantages and disadvantages, having specific roles in the battlefield.

Reviews:
3_picto_flightID.png

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/ace-combat-assault-horizon/critic-reviews

Meisadragon said:
Oh yes, saw this yesterday on their Facebook page. Totally checking it out.
Me too, Namco-Bandai actually have some good facebook pages for their up and coming games. Soul Calibur V and Ridge Racer Unbounded have lots of cool news updates too.

eshwaaz

U2NUMB said:
Went to check Xbox.com and it seems to be totally down. So obviously no link yet..
Yeah, it shows up in the XBLM, but when I try to download it just spins for a few seconds and gives me an error.

glaurung

This is truly great news. I knew the Japanese demo was coming on the 15th, but now it seems the Western world will still be playing the game before that.

My hopes aren't high, but I will be playing this at least for the music.

Xater

glaurung said:
This is truly great news. I knew the Japanese demo was coming on the 15th, but now it seems the Western world will still be playing the game before that.

My hopes aren't high, but I will be playing this at least for the music.

Honestly why? I don't think my hopes have been this high for an Ace Combat title in a while. All the videos released so far look pretty amazing.

Jamesways

Played for a bit before work.

I've always liked the in cockpit views, and I'm glad you still play that way. You can even initiate and use the close combat dogfight mode or whatever they're calling it in cockpit view. It just zooms in to the front of the window a bit more and you still get the crazy close up fighting.

I was worried that they'd force a 3rd person view for that, and, like HAWX, that would have been a deal breaker for me.

Like I said, I only played a few minutes, but the graphics are great and the controls feel good.

glaurung

Xater said:
Honestly why? I don't think my hopes have been this high for an Ace Combat title in a while. All the videos released so far look pretty amazing.
I just turned 30 (today) and I realized everything ever made is shit. You know, turning bitter.

No, I expect the game to be a hit and miss combination of excellent dogfighting (unsure about the new lock-in feature), boring, predictable and frustrating helicopter and cannon runs and awesome bomb runs. Accentuated by cool characters and ridiculous action.

I will play the game to pieces, make no mistake. But I doubt it will ever reach the legendary status of AC4 or AC5 or ACZ.

Xater

glaurung said:
I just turned 30 (today) and I realized everything ever made is shit. You know, turning bitter.

No, I expect the game to be a hit and miss combination of excellent dogfighting (unsure about the new lock-in feature), boring, predictable and frustrating helicopter and cannon runs and awesome bomb runs. Accentuated by cool characters and ridiculous action.

I will play the game to pieces, make no mistake. But I doubt it will ever reach the legendary status of AC4 or AC5 or ACZ.

Fair enough. I actually give you the worries about the helicopter stuff. That is probably the part I am also a bit unsure of. we will see how the whole package turns out soon enough. I think Namco is trying really hard lately to turn the ship around with all their games so I hope this is the case with Ace combat as well.

Jamesways

Dubbedinenglish said:
My cock
pit
is ready. Intersted to see how it plays. You can turn off the CQ "dogfight" right?

Yeah, you have to initiate it by pressing both bumpers. So you can play it like the old ones and not use it.

I didn't think I'd like it, but it's not bad, it's intense.

Need more time to play it though. Looks like it's home for lunch day today.

Looking forward to trying it with this:

w9wTZ.jpg

pretty sure I'm not gonna ejaculate though since my hopes are utterely low for this one given the change of direction of the series.

thanks!
but I don't see how that would would with those chopper scequences...

hell if the game is nothing like AC4-5-0(for what I saw it's nothing like it) I prolly won't even bother picking this up for the first time in the "main" series.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Why can't Sony put up a DL link online, too? I want to DL it onto my thumb drive.

It's not a direct link, it's a link to put xbl content onto your xbl queue. (xbox.com still dead for me though)

I logged on xbl on 360, euro and us, but it's not on there yet.

It's totally dudebro complete with strawberry jam and scripted events, but not terrible. I don't like the camera (it tries too hard to be cinematic and ignores playability).

Purists are going to despise it, probably.

glaurung

Cannot download the XB version.

The US site gives me an error.

The demo is nowhere to be seen on the UK marketplace.

Another letdown.

LQX

+Good ole Ace Combat. Nothing to really hate or deter you if you liked previous AC games.
+Chopper mission. I thought was awesome once you got use to it. Plays like a first person shooter, quick-scoping and all.
+Dogfight Mode. Nice addition once you get use to it and know when to trigger it. You seem to have to get too close though.
+Chopper chatter is great

-No cockpit. I guess it was demo thing.
-I knew from all the pictures and videos this was not impressing me like AC6 which looked sharper. The jet was very blurry. The game still looks good though.
-Jet mission chatter was annoying, mainly because they're using that same dude from the past game which sounds like adolescent. And again with the flat monologue.

Jamesways

LQX said:
+Good ole Ace Combat. Nothing to really hate or deter you if you liked previous AC games.
+Chopper mission. I thought was awesome once you got use to it. Plays like a first person shooter, quick-scoping and all.
+Dogfight Mode. Nice addition once you get use to it and know when to trigger it. You seem to have to get too close though.
+Chopper chatter is great

-No cockpit. I guess it was demo thing.
-I knew from all the pictures and videos this was not impressing me like AC6 which looked sharper. The jet was very blurry. The game still looks good though.
-Jet mission chatter was annoying, mainly because they're using that same dude from the past game which sounds like adolescent. And again with the flat monologue.

You can go into the cockpit view for the jet by pressing the R Stick in.
Haven't played the chopper mission yet to see if you can in there.

Top Bottom