• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon |OT| We Will Fight The Fight Since You Won't

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Xater said:
That is actually something these things can do.

I guess it just looks weird cause it happens so fast in the game (it's meant for evade maneuvers on incoming missiles)

Anyway, I guess I learned something new

Xater

Wario64 said:
I guess it just looks weird cause it happens so fast in the game (it's meant for evade maneuvers on incoming missiles)

Anyway, I guess I learned something new

Oh I bet it is totally arcade like, but yeah they can do it.

LQX

Jamesways said:
You can go into the cockpit view for the jet by pressing the R Stick in.
Haven't played the chopper mission yet to see if you can in there.

Wario64 said:
Yup, you can go first person, both missions. First person with cockpit view or without
Shit, how did I miss that. Clicked and pressed every damn button.

Enron

Banned
fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck why did I go to the office today why ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

icecream

Public Health Threat
Anyone try the demo out with the AC6 flight stick? Because I'm so not playing this with the lame single joystick they were pedalling with HAWX.

Enron

Banned
icecream said:
Anyone try the demo out with the AC6 flight stick? Because I'm so not playing this with the lame single joystick they were pedalling with HAWX.

Do you have one of those things? I used to have the AC5 one, but the game was far harder with it so I stopped using it and buried in the closet.

icecream said:

I'll tell you when the demo is out in europe. (and if I manage to not spend the whole day on Radiant Silvergun :D)

Are there any decent flightsticks for PS3? Edit: Actually this "Thrustmaster" one seems pretty cool if it's compatible.

It seems like aerial combat has been kind of a dead genre this gen. I'd kill for a Rogue Squadron.

ctrayne

Got to try out the fighter mission on my lunch today. WOW. Very impressed. It plays close enough to the old ACs but with more options to take enemies down and a really slick presentation. Never seen anything quite like it. And of course, the music.

herod

ResidentDante said:
Looking forward to trying it with this:

flightstick2.jpg

I had that one; tossed it out, it's crap. Needs to be fixed down, and AC really needs a centering throttle.

I've just finished playing Ace Combat AH demo (Xbox 360). the graphics are good although they feel toned down from Ace Combat 6 and the game felt smooth (60fps?). Going from Cut-scene to real-time gameplay is seamless and there is zero loading If I recall correctly. Sound Effects are beyond amazing and the explosions/physics feels awesome just looking at it.

the HUD looks revamped due to the addition of dogfight mode, me think. Initiating dogfight mode itself is amazing and the game becomes intense although there is some sort of assisting in this mode.

There are 2 missions available in the demo. one for the jet fighter and the other one for helicopter. Played the jet mission and felt the controls are different, they're made easier for casual gamers, maybe. You can change it back to Original which is the best for me since I'm a huge fan of the game. I also tried the Helicopter mission and it was amazing and a little bit challenging since It's my first time playing it. Also, I forgot to mention that you can counter a dogfight easily.

Ace Combat AH feels cinematic with the addition of QTEs and I think judging from the demo, It's going to be the best Ace Combat game ever made.

Frankfurt

Banned
Really great demo. I'm an heretic that couldn't enjoy the previous game, so I guess I'm the kind of person they were aiming for this time? Really, really enjoyed it.

ctrayne

Night_Trekker said:
So, the important question: does this take place in the real world or in an AC fictional world?
Real, like Joint Assault was on the PSP. Worry not, though, it still has some of the AC flavor, and the locations look varied and exciting.
And yeah, I too had to change the controls to "Original". Was way better.

Cobra84

Not a fan of the dogfight mode and even less of a fan of it being forced. No matter how much they want me to use it, I shouldn't need to if I can easily get hits on a "lead" target.

The helicopter mission was great, but I thought Apache Air Assault did it better. The gun sounded and felt weak, I don't like to having to shoot a pickup truck 10 times to kill it with a 30mm cannon.

broham

Cobra84 said:
Not a fan of the dogfight mode and even less of a fan of it being forced. No matter how much they want me to use it, I shouldn't need to if I can easily get hits on a "lead" target.
Dogfight mode is forced? I was under the impression it was entirely optional.

Welp. Fears confirmed. This is terrible.

Basically forcing dogfight mode. [For those saying you don't have to, basically the game penalizes you for not doing it. You can pop the flight lead targets without it, but the time investment to do so is significantly higher than using DFM]. Dogfight mode dragging you automatically after the target, even if it makes a wild maneuver where you'd have a fraction of a second to respond. Taking camera control away from you for cinematic/flashy kills. That all look scripted. I might run through it again to confirm some of that shit happens in the exact same spot. Oh, and you can bounce off the fucking ground like your plane is a nerf football.

You never feel like you're in control. Basically the game is half playing itself to look cool as fuck. Great, I guess. I sure the like cheapness of the instant dodge mechanic too, Christ.

Sure looks and sounds nice though. Shame it plays like ass.

Oh. And QTEs in cutscenes too. How...fortunate.

And regenerating health.

gkryhewy

Positives:
-loved the helicopter mission, controls are very cool
-new explosion effects are great; seeing trucks flip on the ground in the chopper mission was particularly satisfying
-the music, mostly in the chopper level
-real world setting, but with an AC twist (not unlike COD:MW getting all goofy)
-dogfight mode was actually cool, and rather than being an "easy mode", it seemed to be associated with standard flight combat being more difficult (harder to get/keep lock on standard planes, which were less predictable)

Negatives/neutrals:
-30fps
-engine seems unimproved from AC6 with the exception of the explosions

Generally very impressed.

Cobra84

broham said:
Dogfight mode is forced? I was under the impression it was entirely optional.
The lead planes take more than 2 missiles to kill, seem to regenerate like your plane does (6 hits no kill), and drop flares to make your missiles miss whenever they want to. Dogfight mode is the only way to kill them fast enough.

AiTM

Banned
AC has been one of my favorite franchises....I hate what they did with this one. Wish they would have kept the old formula that was fun. Looks kind of bad too, about the same as the 2007 one.

Amir0x said:
this is Ace Combat alright, fuck yeah

Honestly, explain this sentiment to me. Not trolling.

Ace Combat is about battling the other guy for proper range and positioning. It's about putting yourself in the proper place at the proper time and outsmarting him.

How is a system that does all that for you automatically at all "like Ace Combat"?

This goes to everyone who likes it. I'm not trying to be an acerbic twat. I honestly want to know what you guys see in it from a gameplay standpoint.

(All the raving about the presentation is entirely warranted.)

gkryhewy

Now I really regret not preordering this last week at amazon for 44.99. Now they have a $10 credit... Would have been 34.99 net. Sigh.

Seems like no one has any decent launch bonuses for this.. At least AC6 had the faceplates from gamestop.

broham

Amir0x said:
this is Ace Combat alright, fuck yeah
Yup. First thing I did was switch the controls to "original" and as soon as gameplay started I went into cockpit view. Felt like I was playing an ace combat game.

ColonelSkills said:

Ace Combat is about battling the other guy for proper range and positioning. It's about putting yourself in the proper place at the proper time and outsmarting him.

How is a system that does all that for you automatically at all "like Ace Combat"?

This goes to everyone who likes it. I'm not trying to be an acerbic twat. I honestly want to know what you guys see in it from a gameplay standpoint.

1. Change Control Config to Original.
2. Do not use Dogfight mode.
3. ???
4. PROFIT

gkryhewy

ColonelSkills said:

Presentation is a big deal, since it's a big part of AC. The dogfights are kinda like playing in the cinematic style of the old classic replay mode- this is undeniably sweet. Enemy plane AI seems improved outside of dogfight mode, such that firing at the right point in the repeating enemy flight arc is no longer an insta-kill (though I'd need more time to verify this). This is also refreshing.

LQX

Anyone try the PS3 version? Could be my TV settings but I think it looks slightly better.

Also it feels great to play a AC game again on PS controller. Feels better though I wish the thrust was on R2.

Solid warrior said:
1. Change Control Config to Original.
2. Do not use Dogfight mode.
3. ???
4. PROFIT
1) First thing I did.
2) Entirely possible, as I posted above. However, enemy flight leads will regenerate health and unless you're triple ass pounding them in DFM then the time investment to do it without slows the whole experience down far too much. Kinda like Sky Crawlers. You can choose to not use the charge move in that, but it's detrimental to the experience to do so.
3) I asked for real answers. I don't want to be snarky or nothing. Just trying to have a conversation here and find out what people are liking. Because I don't see it.

gkryhewy said:
Presentation is a big deal, since it's a big part of AC. The dogfights are kinda like playing in the cinematic style of the old classic replay mode- this is undeniably sweet. Enemy plane AI seems improved outside of dogfight mode, such that firing at the right point in the repeating enemy flight arc is no longer an insta-kill (though I'd need more time to verify this). This is also refreshing.

AC games were cinematic because you made them that way, you didn't need the game to go out of it's way to make it more so at your expense. *shrug*

Replayed the first mission again and I am not sure I agree with the AI comment. They still eventually stop twisting and line up for the shot, and several others will fly in front of you specifically for the purpose of popping with the alt-weapon. Just like the last several games.

Rhino

Despite the close range dog fighting mode being forced on you this game is frakin awesome!

Anyone else notice the pilots spilling out of the planes you shoot down?

Cudder

Just played the fighter mission, I really liked it. Controls solidly once you set the controls to Normal.

The 3rd person camera is SLIGHTLY too zoomed in for my taste, and the Dogfighting mode can be a bit jarring, but I guess you get used to it after a while. The eject cutscene was awesome.

ctrayne

Rhino said:
Anyone else notice the pilots spilling out of the planes you shoot down?
Yeah, the audio/visual is jawdropping. I think this is the first game to give me vertigo (in a good way). It's funny, because I want to use words like gritty and visceral, but I won't because we all know those words have no meaning anymore. :)

ColonelSkills, I see your point, but I'm not sure what to tell you. I very recently played through AC5, 6 and Zero in anticipation for Horizon, and I love the demo. I felt like the game was just giving you more tools to play with. I respect that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are some 7+ existing Ace Combat games that are still a blast to play and aren't going anywhere. I think Bamco is justified in giving the series a new spin. Obviously it's not being done out of desperation, since I believe AC6 sold quite well. So that leads me to believe it's by choice. The staff seems proud of it from what I can tell. Also, keep in mind the fighter demo is also the tutorial level in the game, which may have an effect on how it plays - i.e. an enemy that must be killed using the dogfight mode for the sake of showing you how it works. I could be wrong on that though.

I will mess with the demo some more, but the only thing that seems silly to me are the QTEs. Never been a fan, but I will deal with them if the rest of the game is good. And if nothing else, like you said, the presentation is killer and worth a play for the grand spectacle. Music is going to be great too, going off of the OST previews on YouTube.

legacyzero

Banned
Cudder said:
Just played the fighter mission, I really liked it. Controls solidly once you set the controls to Normal.

The 3rd person camera is SLIGHTLY too zoomed in for my taste, and the Dogfighting mode can be a bit jarring, but I guess you get used to it after a while. The eject cutscene was awesome.

I agree with this. I really like how action packed the game is.

I really dont like how they noobified it though. They all but force you to use dogfight mode with some enemies. It's a cool feature and all, but not for somebody like me that has been playing Ace Combat for a very long time.

ctrayne said:
Also, keep in mind the fighter demo is also the tutorial level in the game, which may have an effect on how it plays - i.e. an enemy that must be killed using the dogfight mode for the sake of showing you how it works. I could be wrong on that though.

This was something I thought too, and I hope it's the case. I guess I'll just agree to disagree with the general consensus so far, I suppose.

And yeah, I know the rest are perfectly capable of being played again. I think I might give Zero another run before the end of the year if I can find the time in this ridiculous season. I don't want to give the impression that I'm anti-change, I just don't particularly appreciate all this automation.

Top Bottom