• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Active Time Babble returns!

Gloam

That egmnow comment, Jesus... Anyway, great to have the show back. Excellent Dragon's Dogma discussion. Let's hope it stays regular and that e3 brings plenty of RPGs to discuss next episode!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9110715
New episode is up!

Active Time Babble XXXV: Let's Talk About Kanji (and Penny Arcade!)
We go in-depth on LGBT issues in RPGs, then explore Penny Arcade's new RPG.

Episode breakdown (download it now!)

0:00 | Theme & Introduction
00:35 | LGBT Issues in RPGs Discussion
35:00 | Musical Interlude: Reach Out to the Truth (Persona 4)
35:30 | Interview with Penny Arcade's Robert Boyd
1:08:00 | Outtro

Rufus

I hope it's not all based on the premise that Kanji is gay, because that's problematic in its own way.
He's gay in my mind, still. I guess the first impression just stuck with me.
But it does look like Atlus intended him to be overcompensating not for that, but for his 'effeminate' interests. Bob calls it a cop-out, but I think he's in the same boat as me, where the early impressions, his dungeon and his defensiveness about anything that might question his manhood seem to definitively point to him being gay.
While listening I thought that this was revealing about what the writers thought about homosexuality (in that only women and gay dudes would enjoy sowing), but I think they pull off the confused teenager, rather than implicating themselves with shallow stereotyping. I can pin that on Kanji, not knowing where he fits in, because he's not the typical male around him, so he overcompensates.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's gay in my mind, still. I guess the first impression just stuck with me.
But it does look like Atlus intended him to be overcompensating not for that, but for his 'effeminate' interests. Bob calls it a cop-out, but I think he's in the same boat as me, where the early impressions, his dungeon and his defensiveness about anything that might question his manhood seem to definitively point to him being gay.
While listening I thought that this was revealing about what the writers thought about homosexuality (in that only women and gay dudes would enjoy sowing), but I think they pull off the confused teenager, rather than implicating themselves with shallow stereotyping. I can pin that on Kanji, not knowing where he fits in, because he's not the typical male around him, so he overcompensates.

It doesn't help that Bebe was basically effeminate French dude in P3 I suppose. :p
But beyond the shadow thing, the only other thing that points to him as gay is Yosuke's "joking" homophobia.

I wrote a random piece a couple of years ago about this issue and I think the more interesting character when looking at this stuff is Naoto, who has some form of gender dysphoria haunting her in some way as opposed to the whole "I sew so I might be gay" thing that Kanji goes through.

Of course, if you've seen some of the P4 spoilers and post-game novel Naoto spoilers, they've pretty much killed that part of her character as well, so I feel like the designers were just playing with concepts but not really serious about addressing them.

.JayZii

Banned
I don't agree with Bob on Kanji at all. Kanji is unsure of his sexuality, and it never really definitively states it. Does having a mild relationship with a character who has their own gendered baggage really make him straight? Or is he just a kid growing up trying to figure out who he is? The ambiguity of Naoto and Kanji is what makes them interesting.

Good on Kat and Jeremy for saying that characterizing a character by their sexuality alone isn't exactly progressive. Kanji, Naoto and Erica are just well done, interesting characters, their gender and/or sexuality is just an element of the character as a whole.

PS I've only listened to the first 10 minutes

The character in Phantasy Star II was Ustvestia, a musician NPC in Oputa who teaches the progression-essential Musik tech (Used only once; at the Control Tower's piano to get the dam keys), and who also acts as the game's Sound Test function. Learning Musik costs money, and he halves the price (5000 meseta -> 2000 meseta) when a male character is chosen to learn it. In the Japanese version, the reason is that the male character "looks cute," while in the western version, he says that the male character "looks smart."

So essentially, the localizers changed Ustvestia from a homosexual musician to a sexist musician.

Top Bottom