• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Active Time Babble XXXVI: A Fair and Balanced Discussion about Kingdom Hearts

I mention on here needing another ATB, and Kat delivers. I make irrational connections between unrelated phenomena sometimes, but it's for a good cause!

A new Active Time Babble :O

iDbAEnCEnthry.gif

I'm usually a big fan of this podcast and the people on it...but it's never fun to listen to people just complain about a game series for an hour. I'm not really into KH, but Bob was getting on my nerves. That said, I like what he's done with Retronauts, and the anniversary episode was cool.

StuBurns

Banned
Kat claiming Wada is lying was pretty crazy, and seemingly baseless.

And Nomura had nothing to do with the story, or storytelling of FFXIII.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, but I would have liked to hear more about PSO2. It would be cool if some 1Up/IGN people played it and did an ATB about it.

Kingdom Hearts or The World Ends With You? I don't feel like I've devoted a whole episode to either = )

You should do a TWEWY special!

Teknoman

Kingdom Hearts or The World Ends With You? I don't feel like I've devoted a whole episode to either = )

You should to The World Ends With You, especially since we havent had anything like it since....and everyone should play it once.

Curufinwe

I'm usually a big fan of this podcast and the people on it...but it's never fun to listen to people just complain about a game series for an hour. I'm not really into KH, but Bob was getting on my nerves. That said, I like what he's done with Retronauts, and the anniversary episode was cool.

He's done a great job keeping Retronauts going, but he is prone to bouts of exaggerated whining about certain games.

Jarnet87

Good stuff Kat, enjoyed the podcast and wish things were a bit like the old days of 1up when podcasts were much more frequent.

I didn't mind the KH bashing, I really only disagreed when they were discussing KH1, other then that felt the same way.

Having not played it yet, but based on reviews, my biggest disappointment with KH:3D is that it doesn't wrap up the current "arc." When it was said that Triple D would prep the series for KH3 I was hoping they meant tie everything up so 3 could have a fresh start

Kingdom Hearts really should have taken a Shonen Manga approach and just had each game be a mostly self contained arc and the next game there is a new bigger and badder guy

The KH refresh guide on gamesradar (I think) was over 50 slides for crying out loud

Mario007

Having not played it yet, but based on reviews, my biggest disappointment with KH:3D is that it doesn't wrap up the current "arc." When it was said that Triple D would prep the series for KH3 I was hoping they meant tie everything up so 3 could have a fresh start

Kingdom Hearts really should have taken a Shonen Manga approach and just had each game be a mostly self contained arc and the next game there is a new bigger and badder guy

The KH refresh guide on gamesradar (I think) was over 50 slides for crying out loud

It does this, in a way. You still have this one bad guy in the game and he is threatening to destroy the worlds so you gotta stop him. But they also build up an overarching storyline.

Btw KH3 was always said to be the game that concludes this saga.

But blaming everything on him is fun. Let's not let facts get in the way of that.

I can't believe anyone would blame Nomura for FFXIII's story, much less on one of big gaming website's podcasts. Honestly shows how clueless some people can be just to bash on the guy and Square.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't believe anyone would blame Nomura for FFXIII's story, much less on one of big gaming website's podcasts. Honestly shows how clueless some people can be just to bash on the guy and Square.
I'm surprised the guy who knew he did enemy design originally didn't correct her, I imagine he would have known.

Verelios

The World Ends With You talk makes me feel guilty for not playing it. I have to right this wrong.

You really should. Brilliant game, and the OST, the goddamn battle music!

I can skip on Kingdom Hearts because I personally have no interest in hearing about its story, connections, conjectures or theories (most of which will probably have huge plot holes. KH's saving grace for me is its gameplay and characters) but I'll be there for TWEWY.

If he wasn't goofing off with Verses then maybe he would've been on 13 and given it a different story. Still his fault :p

Mario007

If he wasn't goofing off with Verses then maybe he would've been on 13 and given it a different story. Still his fault :p

Haha exactly! This blame Nomura and Wada attitude is really worrying when you consider what the two do and how they do their jobs. Now blaming Toriyama or Kitase, for example, that would make too much sense for the internet to do.

Famassu

Uhh... it does.

KH1 = Sora's first adventure, search for his friends, Ansem as the big bad ("Ansem Arc")
CoM = search for Riku & Mickey continues, introduces Organization XIII, Sora has to get through their scheming, Riku's journey towards the "road to dawn" begins, Marluxia as the big bad ("Castle Oblivion arc")
II = Organization XIII's original plans fail in CoM, they form new ones, Xemnas as the big bad ("Xemnas arc")
BBS = new trio of main characters with their own journeys through the game, Master Xehanort as the big bad ("Master Xehanort" or "Aqua, Terra & Ven" arc)
Days = kind of a "Roxas arc", if you want to label them, not sure if there's a kind of main, main villain, it's more about just Roxas' time at the Organization than fighting a big baddy
ReCoded = okay, so this game is pretty pointless, from a story POV
3D = Sora & Riku's Mark of Mastery Exam arc. A newly recompleted Xehanort as a kind of villain

There's an overlying arc, but that's the case with ALL Shonen Manga. And while yeah, Ansem, Xemnas and Master Xehanort are basically the same being with the same goal, it doesn't change the fact that they've been quite different kind of villains so far.

Kind of your own fault for thinkin 3D would end the Xehanort Saga, as Nomura & everyone has been quite clear that Kingdom Hearts III would be the one to end it all and 3D is the build-up to it.

There has been FOUR somewhat major, lengthy JRPGs and a couple of spin-offs prior to 3D. There's bound to be a lot of stuff that has happened & some complexity.

Katbot

Haha exactly! This blame Nomura and Wada attitude is really worrying when you consider what the two do and how they do their jobs. Now blaming Toriyama or Kitase, for example, that would make too much sense for the internet to do.

Valid criticism. My apologies.

Katbot can't be balanced when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. She's a chronic liar and hater of all things holy. Worships the devil, etc

[Looking forward to listening. Been a while since the last ATB poddy. Nice to see you're back in the podcast booth.]

RSLAEV

I find I get much more entertainment out of rage then I do when people are spouting off how much they love something. There's a lot more comedy in criticism than praise. When I look at a podcast description and I see that they're going to talk about some game that's bound to get slammed I'm like "Oh hells yeah I can't wait!" But if the game is some sacred cow darling it'll just be an hour or so of people being nice to each other and sharing stories about what they like about a game-who wants to hear that? :p

Riposte

First time I quit the podcast early (like @9 min). Basically, everyone was annoying except Kat and they were talking about a game they didn't want to talk about.

EDIT: Well, I guess I'm combining roleplayer's realm and ATB in my head.

Top Bottom