• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision/Bungie game revealed by court (4 MMO sci-fantasy FPSs, more) [OP Updated]

MrDaravon

It may be down month to month but only due to MW3 being more front-loaded. MW3 currently is LTD bigger than Black Ops

That's my point though, a year from now that will likely not be the case. In any event even if MW3 isn't ultimately a downward trend, I think the popular consensus is that CoD fatigue is going to set in much sooner rather than later, so even if sales aren't down yet Activision would be smart to thinking that far out (2013/14) because it's going to happen at some point. Regardless of sales I honestly think MW3 was the tipping point; IW was a shell of it's former self and it shows, every single person I know who I would dead-on describe as a casual gamer who played the shit out of MW2/Blops for that full cycle dropped MW3 within a couple of months and hasn't picked it back up. In either case though Activision only having to spend the resources on one CoD team instead of two is probably a win for them regardless.

I imagine it works like "new worlds, mission packs, your character travels with you throughout the series."

But WoW took almost ten years to even get four ExPacks.

They sound like they want a major release every two years.

That sounds more like a Mass Effect/Halo type deal with an extremely heavy emphasis on MP.

Welcome to the future of gaming.

That's doesn't help my confusion.

ElRenoRaven

One thing to note guys is that the first game isn't exclusive for the 360. It simply says the funding for the first game is for the 360. After that they can if agreed upon release the first game for other consoles.

*Edit* Beaten. Damn thread is moving fast.

Also it's MMO like. Think probably something like M.A.G

V_Ben

Banned
They're considering a PS3 port in 2014:

destiny2eruax.png

I love this. Technically, according to the dates in that, Bungie already knows if Destiny 1 will come to PS3. As they've started hiring for PS3 guys... i'd say that they've already decided they can do it.

If Activision cared about leaks like this they should have settled before it reached this point. Obviously they weighed the pros and cons and felt this was the least damaging avenue.

I think the poster meant that it's worse for Bungie that this was made public than it is for Acti. Acti probably doesn't care how it it affects Bungie.

Given that this contract was signed prior to when it was announced (April 29th, 2010), it's possible that the whole "later on PS3... maybe" thing is simply Activision not being sure that the console would perform particularly well between then and now.

I think the release schedule getting leaked is a pretty big deal. It just puts the whole series in a bad light, especially to be revealed in this way in a very financially-calculated fashion. It just looks bad.

Ehhh, I doubt most who will buy these games will really be analyzing their release schedule. Most will watch trailers, gameplay videos, previews, etc and will get hyped that way. This will probably only affect a small number of potential customers.

The contract also reveals for the first time that Bungie is working on a potential successor to its Marathon game, which became a cult hit after it was published in 1994 for the Apple Mac. The document refers to Bungie's right to devote no more than 5% of its staff to develop an action-shooter prototype dubbed Marathon while Bungie remains under contract with Activision.

I'd love a Pathways into Darkness sequel/reboot but I'll take what I can get.

Also, Bungie hitting a 2 year deadline? I'll have to see it to believe it.

bangai-o

Banned
IF the first game really is exclusive to xbox doesnt this help satisfy neogaffers that complain about there not being big budget exclusive games at the end of the consoles life span? instead the reaction is that microsoft are meanies for getting an exclusive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to keep updating the OP to note, but will also post new info in the thread itself as I digest this.

The second game is targeted for 360, 720, PS4, and PC.

desinty34quls.png

Sibylus

Banned
Activision is contractually entitled to a list of each and every easter egg in the games? That's kinda funny.

To develop the same franchise, every year for that long, would destroy my morale and creativity. If it were me - and I'm not a developer of course - I could only foresee my predetermined output in the franchise I am shackled to getting increasingly stagnant and derivative.

Hopefully, Bungie are better at coping with this regimented, intense, exhausting schedule than I would be,
My thoughts precisely. If 2020 rolls around and they were able to keep that bar high and remained happy firing at that clip, then they'll have pulled off one hell of a coup in my eyes.

Glass Rebel

IF the first game really is exclusive to xbox doesnt this help satisfy neogaffers that complain about there not being big budget exclusive games at the end of the consoles life span? instead the reaction is that microsoft are meanies for getting an exclusive.

Only fanboys and platform holders care about exclusives.

To develop the same franchise, every year for that long, would destroy my morale and creativity. If it were me - and I'm not a developer of course - I could only foresee my predetermined output in the franchise I am shackled to getting increasingly stagnant and derivative.

Hopefully, Bungie are better at coping with this regimented, intense, exhausting schedule than I would be,

Does seem pretty odd from a company that split from Microsoft and stuck a signed Declaration of Independence about how they wanted to be "free from any fiscal, creative, or political constraints from on high," as they put it.

I guess Destiny is what they want to do, but seem crazy to be locked in for so long.

bungie_47.jpg

The Microsoft exclusivity clause is garbage. Why even go independent and claim your next game is going to be multiplatform when you're still tied to one platform?

I guess Microsoft shelled out some serious money to make that happen instead of simply funding new game development. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Mrbob

How did the LA Times beat every games news journalist to this story? I think that's almost as big of a story as the the main course.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm going to keep updating the OP to note, but will also post new info in the thread itself as I digest this.

The second game is targeted for 360, 720, PS4, PS3, and PC.

They might as well have just said every platform but Wii U. Would have saved some ink that way.

Acosta

Yeah guys, don't read too much at the MMO thing.

In this terms I guess Call of Duty and Halo are "MMOs" as well. It makes no sense to release a MMO in 4 entries and with 4 expansions.

This is the next-gen Call of Duty.

How did the LA Times beat everyone in the news journalist industry to this story? I think that's almost as big of a story as the story itself.
In fairness, Patrick said he wanted to cover the case.. he's probably kicking himself he missed this hot scoop.

Lingitiz

Its crazy to me that Bungie would gain their freedom, only to tie themselves to contract that is far worse than anything they got being owned by MS. At least there they got 3 years for each main game.

Az987

all good things

Personally I find it kind of surprising that the majority of GAF doesn't own all 3 consoles at this point.

I know most people who play games don't buy that many games a year but this is GAF.

Are there still a lot of people loyal to one console maker?

Idk about anyone else but seeing they are planning on releasing 4 of the same genre and expansion packs in between feels a bit discouraging. Not that I'm force to buy each copy or anything

Piano

Banned
This contract makes me chuckle. Wasnt the main reason they wanted out of the MS umbrella was to not have to do more Halo (aka sci-fi shooters)?
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. I was hoping they'd try their hand at something different. At least a different style, if not a different genre altogether.

Top Bottom