• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Deadpool, Spider-Man, and X-Men games disappear from digital stores

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
"Contracts have dates. Whatchagonnado"

I'll tell you what you could have done... given people some notice and had a surge of sales right before the games became unavailable forever. Would have been good for activision as well as people who want a last chance to get the games at a good price. Instead everyone is scrambling to get the last few digital keys available, most are already gone as I write this. Everyone loses.
They were all on sale last week.

CamHostage

So who would marvel pick to handle the license? It is eithe EA or Activision at this point. Would be kind of dumb for if activison gets the licens back in a few months

Marvel does have Disney Interactive still, which has off and on had a stable of talent, so maybe they think they can build out once again. Star Wars was a pressure situation where they had to get things going to capitalize on the buyout, but Marvel can take some time to build (contracts like Amazing Spider-Man 2 must still stand, so there are still titles in the hopper.) Then again, Disney has struggled greatly in gaming, with only Disney Infinity to brag about (and even that can not be doing what they hoped,) and they've tried and failed before in the hardcore gamer market that Marvel mostly lives in. So, hard to say what they're thinking?

FoneBone

Marvel does have Disney Interactive still, which has off and on had a stable of talent, so maybe they think they can build out once again. Star Wars was a pressure situation where they had to get things going to capitalize on the buyout, but Marvel can take some time to build (contracts like Amazing Spider-Man 2 must still stand, so there are still titles in the hopper.) Then again, Disney has struggled greatly in gaming, with only Disney Infinity to brag about (and even that can not be doing what they hoped,) and they've tried and failed before in the hardcore gamer market that Marvel mostly lives in. So, hard to say what they're thinking?
Every console team Disney owns/owned has either been shuttered (Black Rock, Propaganda, Junction Point, LucasArts) or switched to mobile (Wideload), with Avalanche Games as the sole exception. It's safe to say that they have zero interest in pursuing AAA development internally.

Slermy

Web of Shadows is completely worth playing if you're a Symbiote/Venom fan at all (and doubleplus if you liked the game Prototype). It's really quite a blast.

What? Seriously? Why did no one tell me this? I love Venom and [Prototype]!

CamHostage

Every console team Disney owns/owned has either been shuttered (Black Rock, Propaganda, Junction Point, LucasArts) or switched to mobile (Wideload), with Avalanche Games as the sole exception. It's safe to say that they have zero interest in pursuing AAA development internally.

I agree, except that if all Disney has planned is more licensing, there'd be no reason to pull its partnership from Activision (unless there's a new partner on the line) since that has been a successful and lucrative deal. I don't expect that they'll be staffing back up internally with new studios and acquisitions just yet, but they could be pulling the rights back (same as Marvel did with the movies) to gain control again and hire its own studios to produce titles. Whether that be an exclusive studio like the EA Studio family or a stable of independent developers remains to be seen. Look at their most current productions, Disney Infinity (internal developer/publisher,) Disney's Planes and Fantasia (external developer, self-publisher,) Deadpool (external developer and publisher, under a straight licensing contract,) and the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront (external developer/publisher, internal producer oversight.) They're trying it every which way.

(Also worth of note with all the mentioned studios shuttered by Disney is that they all have unfortunately been saddled with massive failures and debt; if Disney wanted completely out of development operations Avalanche would have been sold or split too after Toy Story 3 completed. Disney wants to make games, it just hasn't figured out the right way to do it right now.)

FoneBone

I agree, except that if all Disney has planned is more licensing, there'd be no reason to pull its partnership from Activision (unless there's a new partner on the line) since that has been a successful and lucrative deal.
Really? It was successful, but almost all their games in recent years have had mediocre (or worse) receptions and (AFAIK) fairly weak sales.

So what happens to The Amazing Spiderman games then? Are they a part of a different license? Since I haven't seen that game get taken down yet.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So what happens to The Amazing Spiderman games then? Are they a part of a different license? Since I haven't seen that game get taken down yet.

A different licensing deal through Sony pictures, which has already shown a desire to keep the license with its reboots.

Activision will probably get out when that expires, though. Beenox better start learning to make Call of Duty maps!

CamHostage

Really? It was successful, but almost all their games in recent years have had mediocre (or worse) receptions and (AFAIK) fairly weak sales.

There just aren't that many other partners to turn towards with the market strength to handle Marvel properties. There's EA (which has tons of its own problems, even if the LucasFilm deal makes some sense,) there's Ubisoft (the most reasonable partner, but their last few years haven't been bulletproof either,) there's Take-Two (second most reasonable, though they don't deal with a lot of licenses outside sports,) there is NOT Warner Bros Games (for obvious reasons,) there could be Square Enix (especially the European operations,) Namco Bandai would be unlikely due to the ancillary market not being an option, Konami and SEGA and Capcom are probably not viable players at this time, and there's the wildcard Deep Silver. Out of all of them, Activision still seems like the most promising option. They've done it before, they have the warchest to deal with it in the current market, and now they have fewer titles than ever on the docket to compete with this brand's product. (Just looked Activision only has two announced products for 2014: ASM 2 and Destiny. Even if you factor in assumed titles such as the next CoD and Skylanders and Transformers game, there's bound to be room on that slate.)

Also, while the reviews have been unkind as of late, Activision has a rep for tightly budgeting/scheduling games (some GAF developers have even accused underbidding.) I'd find it surprising if even Deadpool lost money. And as far as reputation damage, Activision's studios have not been firing on all cylinders but they've still in the last five games done a lot more with the Marvel license than say the Thor or Captain America movie games, or really anything outside LEGO Marvel (in which case, maybe WB Games wouldn't be so bad a partner after all...) Disney/Marvel could institute the same internal producer oversight as they are exercising with Disney/LucasFilm and EA, and once that partnership is in place (whoever ends up being the partner,) all that matters is that the company has the ability going forward to fulfill their side of the deal.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
There just aren't that many other partners to turn towards with the market strength to handle Marvel properties. There's EA (which has tons of its own problems, even if the LucasFilm deal makes some sense,) there's Ubisoft (the most reasonable partner, but their last few years haven't been bulletproof either,) there is NOT Warner Bros Games (for obvious reasons,)

Doesn't the Lego Marvel deal indicate some possible movement in this direction despite the seeming conflicts of interest?

I will have my Daffy vs. Donald death match...

FoneBone

Doesn't the Lego Marvel deal indicate some possible movement in this direction despite the seeming conflicts of interest?

Not really - the LEGO franchise (which is all about cross-branding) is really a different animal than the rest of WBIE, which has no shortage of IPs of their own to play with. It doesn't make sense for them to be signing a wider licensing deal with Marvel (or with any other licensor*, for that matter).
*unless they decided to go into sports games, but I doubt it

FoneBone

There just aren't that many other partners to turn towards with the market strength to handle Marvel properties. There's EA (which has tons of its own problems, even if the LucasFilm deal makes some sense,) there's Ubisoft (the most reasonable partner, but their last few years haven't been bulletproof either,) there is NOT Warner Bros Games (for obvious reasons,) there could be Square Enix (especially the European operations,) Namco Bandai would be unlikely due to the ancillary market not being an option, Konami and SEGA and Capcom are probably not viable players at this time, and there's the wildcard Deep Silver. Out of all of them, Activision still seems like the most promising option. They've done it before, they have the warchest to deal with it in the current market, and now they have fewer titles than ever on the docket to compete with this brand's product. (Just looked Activision only has two announced products for 2014: ASM 2 and Destiny. Even if you factor in assumed titles such as the next CoD and Skylanders and Transformers game, there's bound to be room on that slate.)

If they were planning on renewing the deal, why take down their previous games almost 4 years before their existing deal expired?

CamHostage

Just seems like a fluke partnership where the profit potential and turnaround speed was too much to ignore. (Particularly when Marvel's partner Activision tried to replicate the LEGO formula and it didn't work out.) It'd be much harder to justify having say Rocksteady working on the next Spider-Man when Warner needs its tentpole products. Plus, Warner already has a full plate. If it were just Marvel and Warner, maybe a frenemies pact might make strange sense, but Disney has got to be too big a factor even if the company is not strong in the games market on its own.

If they were planning on renewing the deal, why take down their previous games almost 4 years before their existing deal expired?

Well, probably they are not planning on renewing the Activision deal, which is what I'm trying to work out on paper because I'm confused what their next move might be. I think as a business, though, you've got to start making those plays early in order to negotiate or renegotiate. Maybe that might even mean tearing up old contracts with the company you're looking to sign new contracts with?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Business is business. It's not really a conflict of interest if they're making money at the end of the day, and don't really serve to lose anything. There are still more profitable venture for Marvel to go for other developers elsewhere to make something cheaper and get relatively the same return. TT are the only ones that make LEGO games, so there's nowhere else to go and it makes way too sense with them, again, not losing anything there.

It's not like say if Marvel goes to switch from Capcom to WB (or EA like they tried) for a fighting game where they serve to lose money getting away from an established, marquee franchise that is very successful to try their hands at a new IP that would probably command either a smaller licensing fee (thus cash Marvel gets at the end of the day) or a high enough licensing fee that a sequel is not financially reliable.

Wheras, look at the LEGO Movie where there are DC characters but no Marvel ones; there is a more competitive atmosphere there because of Marvel/DC battling for the public's attention in a format where releases are scarce, and far in between.

Imbarkus

Well I briefly entertained the notion that Marvel would form something in-house like they have with Marvel studios. But if Disney is willing to completely scuttle LucasArts I doubt they are willing to fund MarvelArts.

I guess we just have to wait and see who gets it. Activision has nothing to blame but they're own all-of-nothing license-milking for any lack of profits there. Marvel couldn't be hotter right now.

t26

Is the deal for cellphone game different? Gameloft's official Iron Man 3 game is still on itune.

CamHostage

Is the deal for cellphone game different? Gameloft's official Iron Man 3 game is still on itune.

Console and mobile contracts are usually separate deals. Two or three Star Wars games have been released on iTunes since the EA deal and none of them are EA products I believe. In fact, the newly-announced F2P online game Star Wars Attack Squadron seems to have no connection to EA either.

So does this mean we actually have a chance at getting some decent Marvel games based on the comicbook license in just a few years?

I've been so bummed at the prospect of not getting a good Spidey game tied to the comics until 2020 since Beenox is focused on the movie games for now.

I'm gonna try to buy the PS3 version of Deadpool today, but I would like to have the DLC too.

Anyone know how I could get the DLC now?

Just like Disney's Doug. Oh wait that was never seen again, my bad. Just like so many other things, when Disney puts shit into their vault its gone forever.
Oddly enough, same can be said for most video game companies regarding classic franchises that just can't "make the pop cultural leap" to the new generations. Those ones get blinded, wrapped up in a straight jacket, shoved into a padlocked chest and shoved into the back of their vaults. So many great game franchises... goodbye forever.

ReaperXL7

Just out of curiosity are the marvel ultimate allience games available on steam? I was curious if this kind of thing would effect games that were made prior to the disney buyout?

I dont know if those games were ever released on PC though. Always wanted a 3rd UA game...

Beelzebubs

Hmm I figured if Deadpool was getting removed permanently they'd have sold it in Steam sale for less, was almost tempted to get it when it was £7.99 in the recent sale. Seems like I missed my chance.

BasilZero

Damn I was planning to get Deadpool in the future but guess not anymore :(

What are the chances of re-releasing though?

this move kinda screams 'Disney digital store incoming' to me. See EA before Origin.

That said, I dislike the notion of games disappearing into thin air with their fates left unknown.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Deadpool seems to be still available digitally with the ps3 through amazon would it be a good idea to buy it or just get the disc version?

Xater

I suspect the concern is also likely quality.

These days Marvel has a lot more incentive to protect and grow their brands through quality products instead of just trying to stay afloat.

Batman and Injustice are huge successes that bring in a lot of money and reflect well on the brands in question to an audience that has a high potential to buy lots of merchandise.

I don't think anyone would say that about modern Marvel games.

Maybe, I don't see Disney caring that much about their brands when it cones to video games. But that might just be because of kids games. I would appreciate if they would start caring as much as Warner is about Batman. Real high quality Marvel games would be great.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Just out of curiosity are the marvel ultimate allience games available on steam? I was curious if this kind of thing would effect games that were made prior to the disney buyout?
They never were on Steam at any point (in fact, I don't recall any pre-Disney Marvel game on Steam). The DLCs of both games on console did get delisted post-Disney, pre-2013 though; the ones for MUA2 are lost forever, but the ones for MUA1 are preserved on disc in the Gold Edition (to speak nothing of mods for the PC version).

Jazz-ism

Banned
i pray the entire marvel license goes to capcom and we get the good ol days (90s) back...

but knowing how reality works the entire studio will prob align with EA...

Imbarkus

Deadpool seems to be still available digitally with the ps3 through amazon would it be a good idea to buy it or just get the disc version?

At this point anything on PS3 or 360 is disk-only-if-possible for me.

A different licensing deal through Sony pictures, which has already shown a desire to keep the license with its reboots.

Activision will probably get out when that expires, though. Beenox better start learning to make Call of Duty maps!

If this means Sony can then give the Spidey license to one of their own studios, along with the proper development time needed to make a good (and bug-free) Spidey game, this would be nothing but good news.

Shattered Dimensions had a huge amount of potential if it weren't for the massive amount of bugs and the fact that the final sequence of the boss battle was so un-fun to play. It just needed at least another six months to a year of development time, which Activision was unwilling to to give it.

If there is a game I am interested in, and if it is easily available for purchase, I will always buy it. But this is just a guilt-free piracy scenario for me

I am not sure if this was already brought up, but I stumbled across a news story from 2005,,,

Marvel, Activision Renew Licensing Deal Until 2017

Activision, Inc. and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. have jointly announced that the companies have expanded their long-term, broad-based strategic alliance, and signed a multi-year extension to their current video game licensing agreements for the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises through 2017.

This newly announced deal is apparently the previously mentioned $50 million "landmark, long-term license agreement in the video game category" referenced in Marvel's recent financial results, and is one of the longest-term character license details ever signed in the video game industry. Rights to make a game based on the forthcoming Spider-Man 3 feature film are reportedly included in the deal.

Under the terms of the agreement, Activision has extended its exclusive worldwide publishing rights to the properties for interactive entertainment software products for console, PC and handheld platforms. The original agreements were set to expire in 2009. Activision's Spider-Man and the X-Men video games rank among the company's most successful franchises, having sold more than 25 million units across all platforms to date.

"This announcement further underscores the strength of our relationship with Marvel and reinforces our leadership position in the superhero genre," states Mike Griffith, President and CEO, Activision Publishing, Inc. "Spider-Man and the X-Men are two of the most popular entertainment franchises today and some of the most coveted characters in interactive entertainment. This agreement will allow us to continue developing exceptional games based on these legendary characters well into the future."

Tim Rothwell, Worldwide President, Consumer Media Group, Marvel Entertainment, added, "The interactive entertainment category continues to be one of Marvel's key strategic categories. Expanding our partnership with Activision, a leader in the video game industry, further ensures that our characters will continue to be among the elite and dominant interactive franchises for the next decade and beyond."

Would this mean that we now know the contract was officially bought by a new party - as there would be no reason to pull the plug if everything was fine up to 2017?

Nokterian

I am not sure if this was already brought up, but I stumbled across a news story from 2005,,,

Would this mean that we now know the contract was officially bought by a new party - as there would be no reason to pull the plug if everything was fine up to 2017?

Disney is having control over it.

Dryk

I can never decide which is stupider. Shitty contracts in the gaming industry or melting down the history of cinema for the silver.

Top Bottom