• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activison Announces Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure.

The toy looks worse, if that's possible.

5vn76q.jpg

Why would you even do something like this to a character? What kind of train of thought gave you the idea that you should make him look like the ugliest turd possible?

seady

It's like Activision's 1st rule of making games is to make every one of their properties into some sort of craze?

tc farks

As soon as I saw the new design of Spyro I was like ugh they downgraded there. Then I read the thread and was like holy hyperbole, batman! Its not that bad.

And yes, that toy is even worse. Activision seems to be fumbling this shit up rather well.

[Nintex]

putting toys in a game... I made a college project with some students that was more or less the same basic idea(just way more awesome in terms of how your toys end up on your PC). We were quite surprised to see that no one had done it before.

-PXG-

seady said:
It's like Activision's 1st rule of making games is to make every one of their properties into some sort of craze?

And attaching some kind of plastic bullshit to it as well.

Dave Long

Banned
Toys for Bob is a good sign that the game will be decent, regardless of abominable character design changes.

I like the idea of real toys with a videogame like this, but really, $70?! C'mon... they're f-ing plastic toys.

Dave Long said:
Toys for Bob is a good sign that the game will be decent, regardless of abominable character design changes.

I like the idea of real toys with a videogame like this, but really, $70?! C'mon... they're f-ing plastic toys.

Yeah but it's the game, plus the toys, some cards, and the portal thing in one package. Toys typically go for $20 nowadays.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dave Long said:

But they have brains!

EDIT: But after watching the trailer i must admit it looks pretty neat.

Fersis said:
The concept its pretty awesome.

Totally agree, this could pay off for Activision, but maybe they should have tied an animated TV show or movie with the upcoming game to get the necessary eyeballs on the game, cross-promote with Happy Meals and have some exclusive toys.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
magnificent83 said:
Totally agree, this could pay off for Activision, but maybe they should have tied an animated TV show or movie with the upcoming game to get the necessary eyeballs on the game, cross-promote with Happy Meals and have some exclusive toys.
Yup.
With a good show and marketing this could be the new pokemon.

mysteriousmage09 said:
I'm at a loss of words. That is beyond bad. Somebody had to have "this should get me fired for sure" when creating this design.
The design is really really awful. Maybe its what the kids like these days? Dunno.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Webkinz proves that toy->game interaction can work for younger audiences, but the thing about Webkinz is that 1) The toys are appealing, whereas these are not, so if you don't play the game, you still buy the toys, 2) The "game" is free, whereas this is not, 3) The "game" plays on any PC, whereas this requires hardware.

Pricing for individual toys has not been set, but a $70 starter pack will include the video game, three toys, portal and trading cards.

Plastic!

I guess they are not giving up on the plastic strategy despite axing Guitar Hero.

Sqorgar

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I think Webkinz proves that toy->game interaction can work for younger audiences, but the thing about Webkinz is that 1) The toys are appealing, whereas these are not, so if you don't play the game, you still buy the toys, 2) The "game" is free, whereas this is not, 3) The "game" plays on any PC, whereas this requires hardware.
1) Spyro's design is the worst decision I've ever seen in character design, but the other characters are much better. I even actively like the fish guy.

2) This game isn't, but watching the youtube trailer, it seems pretty obvious that they intend to have multiple games that use the same toys. This is, for better or worse, just the beginning. Don't know how you connect them to you mobile phone, though.

3) When it involves kids, it doesn't matter. I can't get my kids off EyePet and that thing is a pain in the butt to set up.

I like Gill Grunt.

This should have been a Gill Grunt game.

speculawyer said:
Plastic!
I guess they are not giving up on the plastic strategy despite axing Guitar Hero.

I heard they are made from melted down instruments.

mclem

Random thought: How essential is the toy integration? I wonder if this is actually a convoluted form of copy protection - no dongle, no play. Good of them to charge us a premium for the copy protection, then!

Salsa

X1GtF.png

wat

No but seriously, there was no need whatsoever to drag Spyro into this. The target audience doesnt even know him, the game doesnt need to use Spyro as a selling point, what the flying fuck.

jkanownik

Hero of Legend said:
The game was(eh?) demonstrated on the Wii at the Toy Fair... but it doesn't even start for two days, what the hell?

Press events and private showings start earlier. LEGO for example sent out their press release today. Some toy companies don't even have a presence on the show floor and just meet with buyers and press at offices in the area.

Red

Snuggler said:
^ Oh, so is Spyro gonna be Xtreme now? He has a lot of 'tude in those concepts.
And still the concepts are infinitely better than the in-game monstrosity.

Seriously it looks like the inbred child of Satan.

Big One

Banned
Sounds like a great idea in terms of selling shit to kids.

But after viewing that trailer I can safely say that it isn't...Spyro. It just looks like Spyro in a completely new setting with a new cast of characters.

EYEL1NER

Well, I still don't know what the fuck a 'Skylanders' is, but even with all the shitty Activision news, I got a little excited about this. I really enjoyed the first three Spyro games on PSone. They were fun little platformers.
But this shit? Staying far away from this...

Top Bottom