• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activison Announces Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Activision has enlisted Hollywood talent, including Shrek character designer Tom Hester
Wow. Activision heads to Hollywood and hires the worst character designer in town. Smart move.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dan said:
Wow. Activision heads to Hollywood and hires the worst character designer in town.

4k6yl.jpg

Loam

You know, the concept of transitioning real life toys into a video game is actually pretty good. I probably would have loved being able to plug action figures into my NES and have them appear on screen. That said, I don't understand why they chose attach Spyro to this. I doubt a majority of their target audience even knows the character, not to mention their design for him is truly horrific. Regardless of nostalgia, I don't think anyone can honestly say that that thing is good character design.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Idea isn't bad, but the actualization is terrible. These aren't toys, they are figures. A kid isn't going be playing with a model. 2nd, the ones that are normally successful with this model normally are free with purchase of figure.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Transposing the economics of DLC to children is pretty inspired business model. I've heard that new figurines will be able to unlock different worlds, which is interesting.

I like the fish character with the water gun.

Having said that Spyro really is a disaster, he didn't have the best design in the first place but dear god this is horrifying!
I only played the PlayStation 1 Spyro games, i think i regret nothing.

I cannot even begin to describe the ways in which this game will fail and is failing already. There are so many things ridiculous and outdated about this concept, it's absolutely hilarious.

Forkball

They should do a gritty reboot of Spyro. He could look like something from Panzer Dragoon and he explores a dark fantasy world inspired by Demon's Souls.

Make it happen, Activision.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Will Spyro be voiced? I can't imagine any voice coming out of that abomination other than something sounding completely evil. Seriously, Spyro doesn't look cute he looks demonic.

RobbieNick

http://kotaku.com/#!5758025/this-is-the-video-game-reinvention-of-toys-or-so-the-people-behind-call-of-duty-hope

Here's some video with more details on the toy concept. I gotta admit, as a toy concept it's kinda neat. Each of these 30 toys (poor Spyro is only one of 30 characters) can be put into the game instantly by putting them on a portal base. Whatever leveling up and things you buy into the game are instantly saved onto the figurine. Kids can then take that toy and bring it to a friends house and all of your data for that toy will go into his/her game. If they did this with Pokemon, it would be huge.

I think kids will love this. Now if they can just get a better character designer on the project.

Takao

Banned
RobbieNick said:
http://kotaku.com/#!5758025/this-is-the-video-game-reinvention-of-toys-or-so-the-people-behind-call-of-duty-hope

Here's some video with more details on the toy concept. I gotta admit, as a toy concept it's kinda neat. Each of these 30 toys (poor Spyro is only one of 30 characters) can be put into the game instantly by putting them on a portal base. Whatever leveling up and things you buy into the game are instantly saved onto the figurine. Kids can then take that toy and bring it to a friends house and all of your data for that toy will go into his/her game. If they did this with Pokemon, it would be huge.

I think kids will love this. Now if they can just get a better character designer on the project.

Seems kind of cool. They should've thrown Crash, and any other kid IP they own, as I'm not sure how far derp derp Spyro will carry the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
If they could keep the price down on this (lol it's activision, so no chance of that), and MARKET IT PROPERLY, they could have a HUGE hit on their hands with kids. The concept alone is already a tried and true, proven format (collect 'em all!), they just need to have an appealing premise.

Not sure if Spyro is that premise, though.

lupinko

Toys for Bob made both Pandemonium games?

I can get behind this, and Gill Grunt.

Gill Grunt should have been the main star imo.

Takao

Banned
Activision has the Bakugan license.

That makes 1000% more sense to use this technology with. Granted, they would have to be newly designed Bakugan set alongside the game. But that shit is already popular, and kids could eat it up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Fuck you" to all the Gaffers that didn't vote for Activision's moves in 2010 as the fail of the year last year and choosing shit like Final Fantasy over it.

Rolling into 2011 and Activision is still the most infuriating and convoluted thing in the gaming industry. They continually challenge my sentiments that "oh they can't possibly make themselves less likable or make any more absolutely stupid decisions."

TheOGB

Banned
This game looks like a mediocre ripoff of Spiral Knights.

And that's before you add the childhood-ruining part.

Also you can't jump in this game. Or at least in the console versions.

I mad

fernoca

Shiggy said:
Yeah... :|
Jonathan's a cool guy, so make fun of the game then..not the ones making it. :p

Anyway, the game looks fun and heck, is Vicarious Visions (at least the 3DS version); so it might be really good (and probably way better than the console versions).

EDIT:
Yep, seems the 3DS version is the better one:

This version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is more of a platformer than the console versions. Players have to complete levels by gathering crystals, which lets you unlock more levels. Each level is littered with crystals, obtained by going towards the end of the level, or by doing a variety of tasks (like defeating an x amount of enemies, or finding 5 items). Whenever you find a crystal, an enemy awakens and a time limit starts. They have to defeat enemies, and use rockets to ward off the chasing enemy. Also in this version, the game is set in a different realm other than Skylands, and a different force of darkness is faced.

Unlike other versions, characters can make a jump, and a double jump. It is unknown if the mechanics of the gameplay are similar to any other versions of the game.

The 3DS Starter Pack bundle will also have different figures from the console versions. While the consoles versions of the Starter Pack bundle will contain Spyro, Trigger Happy and Gill Grunt, the 3DS bundle will have Dark Spyro, Ignitor and Stealth Elf.​

Top Bottom