• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggles

Banned
Haven't there been Sony titles in the recent past that didn't have online available to reviewers until release or very close to?

I'd have guessed reviewers would have cause to be upset about Sony's online infrastructure before Microsoft's.

Hmm, to those saying that it won't matter to the average person... I have to disagree. I remember when I worked at game retail during the whole Madden 30/60fps debacle and it was a pretty big deal to a lot of people who normally don't frequent message boards.

Aside from that, I can't tell you how many times people would ask what the best version was for any given game. People aren't as ill informed as GAF seems to think.

If someone is buying a next gen console then it most likely matters to them. Of course not 100% of the people but it matter to enough to have MS worried.

Averon

Has this been one of the most secretive console launches ever?

Why is getting simple information like resolution so difficult?

Seems like part of the DRM is still in on what they have out atm that might be part of the OS problems. The interesting thing is the required time part? I have no idea what that means but this could be why MS would embargo till launch and no one can really do any early reviews?

https://twitter.com/CoDeBarS/status/394130636169953280
73QBZZa.jpg

Iacobellis

Has this been one of the most secretive console launches ever?

Why is getting simple information like resolution so difficult?

Because it's Microsoft. When they were up for most of this generation, they belted it as loud as they could. Now that they are down, they keep quiet so the least amount of harm can be done.

Pretty shitty. I've never heard of a review embargo before because of the resolution a game is running at. They have already gone gold, what else is there left to do?

Bedlam

Man, if MS fucks up the online part at launch, that'd be a major blow. That's the one thing they excelled at last-gen and it helped them get the advantage over Sony.

Iacobellis

Seems like part of the DRM is still in on what they have out atm that might be part of the OS problems. The interesting thing is the required time part? I have no idea what that means but this could be why MS would embargo till launch and no one can really do any early reviews?

https://twitter.com/CoDeBarS/status/394130636169953280
73QBZZa.jpg

God fucking dammit. I can definitely see Best Buy employees having to do this again come launch night.

Word of mouth is a very powerful thing.

I talked to my sister a couple of days ago and I was surprised at how much she knew. She's a mother in her late 30's but she knew the "Nintendo console" is in trouble and that the PS4 is the hot next gen console. She works at a bank and people had been telling her

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Because it's Microsoft. When they were up for most of this generation, they belted it as loud as they could. Now that they are down, they keep quiet so the least amount of harm can be done.

Pretty shitty. I've never heard of a review embargo before because of the resolution a game is running at. They have already gone gold, what else is there left to do?

In my experience with publishers, it's not uncommon to try and hide "bad" news as much as possible. One of the examples I remember the most was FF13. They didn't show the 360 version until the very last minute and even then Square was caught doctoring PS3 screenshots to appear to be 360. When they got called out on it, the were basically forced to scramble and take real ones to save as much face as they could.

Slashlen

Word of mouth is a very powerful thing.

The last 3 years of the 360 prove this. MS has been sitting on their ass for the last 3 years with the 360 and they still slaughter Sony each month in consoles sold(GTAV month aside, US only).

Edit: And to throw in my own experience, I have an uncle who only had a Wii last gen and I thought was basically out of gaming. He wants to grab a PS4, though he thought it came out about 4 months from now.

N.Domixis

Banned
The last 3 years of the 360 prove this. MS has been sitting on their ass for the last 3 years with the 360 and they still slaughter Sony each month in consoles sold(GTAV month aside).

Edit: And to throw in my own experience, I have an uncle who only had a Wii last gen and I thought was basically out of gaming. He wants to grab a PS4, though he thought it came out about 4 months from now.
Did you also forget about the rest of the world?

The last 3 years of the 360 prove this. MS has been sitting on their ass for the last 3 years with the 360 and they still slaughter Sony each month in consoles sold(GTAV month aside).

That's not true. Only in the US

sangreal

It still doesn't bode well for a new console. This is what happens when you tried to force unfriendly-DRM on your 40+ million users.

that has nothing to do with drm though. activation in this case means literally activating the app (eg multitasking), not authenticating it. the game just crashed

Iacobellis

that has nothing to do with drm though. activation in this case means literally activating the app (eg multitasking), not authenticating it. the game just crashed

That's not my point. My point is that Microsoft had to immediately backtrack on their shitty call and are now stuck with a half-baked OS. Had they not focused so much on DRM in the past year and just took the hint from gamers, more time would have gone in to improve the stability of the software. Instead, they canned it a mere five months from launch and have been working around the clock to remove any traces of it and revert to how the 360 worked.

sangreal

That's not my point. My point is that Microsoft had to immediately backtrack on their shitty call and are now stuck with a half-baked OS. Had they not focused so much on DRM in the past year and just took the hint from gamers, more time would have gone in to improve the stability of the software.

oh, gotcha. that makes sense

Yasir

Maybe drastic but aren't things suggesting a delay as the 'right' thing to do for MS. OS problems, rushed unoptimised games, and a host of other issues related to stock.

Seriously fuck them if they're gonna push a broken product on their loyal fans/early adopters.

(hope it won't be broke!)

That's not my point. My point is that Microsoft had to immediately backtrack on their shitty call and are now stuck with a half-baked OS. Had they not focused so much on DRM in the past year and just took the hint from gamers, more time would have gone in to improve the stability of the software.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions there. Half baked OS? Let's wait for some actual proof of that, ok?

KissVibes

Banned
It still doesn't bode well for a new console. This is what happens when you tried to force unfriendly-DRM on your 40+ million users.

Someone just told you that it's a normal Windows 8 app error and you made it about DRM. Why?

That's not my point. My point is that Microsoft had to immediately backtrack on their shitty call and are now stuck with a half-baked OS. Had they not focused so much on DRM in the past year and just took the hint from gamers, more time would have gone in to improve the stability of the software. Instead, they canned it a mere five months from launch and have been working around the clock to remove any traces of it and revert to how the 360 worked.

Half-baked OS from one app error on a console that is still unreleased and may not even be running the latest firmware. Uh, okay.

Iacobellis

You're making a whole lot of assumptions there. Half baked OS? Let's wait for some actual proof of that, ok?

How is it an assumption? You have the picture as proof. You have information from reliable insiders such as CBoaT as proof. A number of features that were promised back in May won't be functional until 2014.

The writing is on the wall with this one.

FeiRR

Banned
"The app didn't start in the required time" doesn't look like a network error. It's a system problem. Ass storm incoming...

Yukiari

Not sure why people who hate the X1, waste so much of their time on it. Wish people would worry about their own console.

Their own console? Really? Like some of us aren't multi console owners that are sad to see just how off track MS has gotten. I truly enjoy my ps3 and 360 and probably would of invested in both until I watched the MS reveal and their constant poor messaging that went along with it. Now I'm leaning towards a ps4 and a nice gaming PC coming up.

Slashlen

Not sure why people who hate the X1, waste so much of their time on it. Wish people would worry about their own console.

Well, you got fanboys, armchair analysts, and people who really do want to see MS improve. This doesn't even count the people who want an X1 and just aren't happy.

I know that, forgot to mention it, my bad. Point still stands regarding momentum and word of mouth.

There's a difference between slacking a little bit mid-gen when you're already on top and missing the ball when you're about to launch a new console that everybody will be validating and comparing to the competition, regardless of how good your previous product was. I don't think most people are as brand royal as you think they are.

Sorc3r3r

Maybe drastic but aren't things suggesting a delay as the 'right' thing to do for MS. OS problems, rushed unoptimised games, and a host of other issues related to stock.

Seriously fuck them if they're gonna push a broken product on their loyal fans/early adopters.

(hope it won't be broke!)

Risks, risks everywhere was writing CBOAT.
MS going all in.

Chobel

More stuff from Dent for speculation.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/394146557022334976

Ryan Q ‏@TyrantII
@TheKevinDent > @erikkain at @Forbes finally confirmed the MS has embargoes on their reviews for launch. What most people figured

Dr Dentenstein
‏@TheKevinDent
@TyrantII @erikkain @Forbes yeah, Erik is wrong. Shocker there though.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/394147130190733312

Dr Dentenstein
‏@TheKevinDent
It's not about resolution it's about connectivity and the network stack :-0

Maybe new thread? Is Kevin Dent acceptable here in Neogaf?

Slashlen

M°°nblade;87568498 said:
There's a difference between slacking a little bit mid-gen when you're already on top and missing the ball when you're about to launch a new console that everybody will be validating and comparing to the competition, regardless of how good your previous product was. I don't think most people are as brand royal as you think they are.

I'm actually not suggesting brand loyalty across generations. If you were to look at the 360 vs PS3 over the last 3 years only, I think you could make a very strong argument that PS3 was the better buy. Better/more exclusives, price and performance differences had been just about eliminated. Even PSN is pretty close to XBL at that point. People still bought more 360s. Because people "know" that the 360 is a better system, because that had been true for the first part of the gen. Also their friends probably already have 360s. That's why MS was still able to outsell while doing nothing.

Word of mouth builds momentum, and after a certain point it's too late to fix mistakes for that gen. I think MS's biggest and most fixable problem is the cost. They need to drop Kinect and the price, and they need to do it before this gets out of hand.

Skeff

Maybe new thread? Is Kevin Dent acceptable here in Neogaf?

Proelite already told us this :) nice to have a second source though I guess. GAF > Internet > GAF

EDIT: to clarify Dent isn't getting his info from GAF, that's just the order in which the news appears.

More stuff from Dent for speculation.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/394146557022334976

Ryan Q ‏@TyrantII
@TheKevinDent > @erikkain at @Forbes finally confirmed the MS has embargoes on their reviews for launch. What most people figured

Dr Dentenstein
‏@TheKevinDent
@TyrantII @erikkain @Forbes yeah, Erik is wrong. Shocker there though.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/394147130190733312

Dr Dentenstein
‏@TheKevinDent
It's not about resolution it's about connectivity and the network stack :-0

Jesus. This is what happens when a company is so obsessed with the short term gain. If you're not ready then you're not ready. You can't just force an early console launch

I'm actually not suggesting brand loyalty across generations. If you were to look at the 360 vs PS3 over the last 3 years only, I think you could make a very strong argument that PS3 was the better buy. Better/more exclusives, price and performance differences had been just about eliminated. Even PSN is pretty close to XBL at that point. People still bought more 360s. Because people "know" that the 360 is a better system, because that had been true for the first part of the gen. Also their friends probably already have 360s. That's why MS was still able to outsell while doing nothing.

Word of mouth builds momentum, and after a certain point it's too late to fix mistakes for that gen. I think MS's biggest and most fixable problem is the cost. They need to drop Kinect and the price, and they need to do it before this gets out of hand.

Again the 360 has been outsold by the PS3 the past few years. you keep going back to this even though you know it's false

Darksol

Complaining about things which are subpar en masse is pretty much the only way to get a major corporation's attention. If you don't let them know that what they're doing is unacceptable, you tacitly accept what they give you. If people had kept quiet, you'd still be stuck with a DRM infested machine this November.

Also, people with persecution complexes on this board don't tend to stick around very long.

Yasir

Don't have the One on pre-order, but I feel scared for people who do, uncle has it ordered along with 4 games for his kids bday.

Dont think MS need another clusterfuck of a launch.

Chobel

Proelite already told us this :) nice to have a second source though I guess. GAF > Internet > GAF

EDIT: to clarify Dent isn't getting his info from GAF, that's just the order in which the news appears.

SenjutsuSage said his friend who works for MS said there's no such thing as OS problems and Proelite is probably wrong, but with this information from Kevin Dent I'm leaning to believe Proelite more.

Complaining about things which are subpar en masse is pretty much the only way to get a major corporation's attention. If you don't let them know that what they're doing is unacceptable, you tacitly accept what they give you. If people had kept quiet, you'd still be stuck with a DRM infested machine this November.

Also, people with persecution complexes on this board don't tend to stick around very long.

Not just complaining but not giving them your money. That actually is all they care about

SenjutsuSage said his friend who works for MS said there's no such thing as OS problems and Proelite is probably wrong, but with this information from Kevin Dent I'm leaning to believe Proelite more.

Are you seriously expecting SenjutsuSage to admit anything is wrong with the XB1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom