• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iacobellis

Jesus. This is what happens when a company is so obsessed with the short term gain. If you're not ready then you're not ready. You can't just force an early console launch

Again the 360 has been outsold by the PS3 the past few years. you keep going back to this even though you know it's false

I don't think Microsoft could have afforded a later launch. In their target market, the US, brand loyalty barely exists outside of people like us that frequent messages boards dedicated to gaming. Most people I know had a 360 because it was cheaper and had more promising third-party support at the time. LIVE was also miles ahead of PSN. Anybody I talk to now had their sights set on the PS4 because of the $400 price, the extra power, and the cheaper online subscription.

Microsoft has lost all of the advantages they had that made the 360 successful. There is no head start, no price advantage, and Sony has a clear vision of where to go after 2013. Not to mention they have the (slightly) more complex system to work with now.

Despite the shortcomings Sony faced in 2006 and 2007, the PS3 still managed to catchup in sales to the 360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SenjutsuSage said his friend who works for MS said there's no such thing as OS problems and Proelite is probably wrong, but with this information from Kevin Dent I'm leaning to believe Proelite more.

I trust Proelite over anything SenjutsuSage says...

Tulerian

Ok, am I the only one reading the third icon on the bottom row as nutsensor?

Kinect 2's new thermal imaging party piece. Automatically set game difficulty based on the size of your cojones?

o_O...

Seems like part of the DRM is still in on what they have out atm that might be part of the OS problems. The interesting thing is the required time part? I have no idea what that means but this could be why MS would embargo till launch and no one can really do any early reviews?

https://twitter.com/CoDeBarS/status/394130636169953280
73QBZZa.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
So basically, this is all unconfirmed but people are thinking either:

-The OS has issues, as does the new Xbox Live
-Microsoft has basically embargoed everything related to the console due to these issues + multiplatform game performance

Something like this? I have trouble believing one of the world's biggest companies could be having an issue as big as OS crashes, but I don't know anymore.

KORNdoggy

S

Something like this? I have trouble believing one of the world's biggest companies could be having an issue as big as OS crashes, but I don't know anymore.

Is this a joke? These guys make windows operating systems, and they are consistently buggy as hell at launch.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is this a joke? These guys make windows operating systems, and they are consistently buggy as hell at launch.

I've used Windows computers for years, and I could count the number of crashes on one hand. Maybe I'm lucky.

Surely if these issues with the XB1 are real, Microsoft is throwing money at fixing it as fast as they possibly can. I don't know if they can afford a "red ring" style situation again, especially if the PS4 doesn't have those kinds of errors.

Darksol

Fracas, their first system caught fire and led to recalls. Their second system had a higher fail rate than we've ever seen in video game history...and you think some OS issues is too hard to swallow?

I couldn't find a timestamp for when Boyes mentioned native 1080P for COD:Ghosts on PS4, so I watched the stream, and he starts talking about it at 20m25s, for those who want to see it for themselves. Funny how he said it so nonchalantly. Based on what I've been reading, you'd think he made a big deal about it, but he just casually mentions it briefly within his presentation. As if he didn't mean for it to be a big mention for his audience, but knew that his little blurb would be caught and blown up on the Internet. Boyes is masterful!

edit: corrected timestamp and linked the stream

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40142006
skip to 20m25s

ryaxnb

Neo Member
But thats complete bollocks...

Forza is 5 1080p, native @ 60fps. NBA is 1080p native @60fps.

The system is capable of outputting NATIVE 1080p.

IF it does turn out to be true and COD Ghosts is 720p on the XOne, I would say its more an indication of Infinity Ward skill set.

Probably, but it is likely also true that 32MB esRAM is a little bit small for 1080p in visually demanding 60fps games. At the same time , the toolkit is reportedly very rough, and IW had little time to design the game. I would say the biggest factor is thus the limited time and early beta/alpha development enviornment used, with second-biggest factor being the 32MB esRAM. The Xbox One is capable of outputting native 1080p, but even the ps3 could output 1440x1080 in complex games such as wipeout with elaborate optimization and a advanced knowledge of the system and toolkit. What matters is the average resolution of a reasonable demanding game, not the peak resolution the system is "capable" of outputting. And for Xbox One, that may well wind up being 900p, especially for 60fps games, over the course of the lifecycle. However, CoD is a poor indicator either way, since by all accounts and common sense, IW is using tools and development kits that may be underspecced (given recent upclocks), are extremely rough around the edges, and are constantly changing and may even be at a slight delay relative to the development kits used by Microsoft, given the rapid pace of console development. Plus, they only had a few months to port the game, in all likelihood. Thus, CoD is more of a test of "time to triangle" than sheer ability, and it is pretty widely agreed that PS4's standard DDR5 architecture, with unified memory pools, is the easiest by far in that regard. PS4 is also more powerful, but the power advantage in a game on a time crunch development-wise on PS4 is probably even greater than the raw power advantage, if that makes any sense.

Skeff

lol. It looks like NuiSensor. Natural user interface sensor?

Ruined my dreams, I was about to pre order an XB1.

Seriously though, if this is coming down to Sejutsu sage vs. Proelite/CBOAT/Dent I know who I would believe.

CBOAT quote I'm talking about is this:

i ams cshokked athis urpsriise.truly >am

btw i hope fyou arent fans of 1080p on xone, wehn hw is out in wild you wil se wat I meant about isues. puclocks too. Risk evwyerhwere. this palce is ntus. 2014 was beter pln.

I believe these are the OS issues.

SenjutsuSage said his friend who works for MS said there's no such thing as OS problems and Proelite is probably wrong, but with this information from Kevin Dent I'm leaning to believe Proelite more.

mj-laughing.gif

======================

but seriously, MS have an entire month practically till launch. I don't think we'll be seeing OS issues after that Day 1 patch or patches. Same thing with CoD, its a little hard to swallow that it will be 720p at launch on X1 after they're (Activision) going to be using the next month crunching and scraping to get it better.

Iacobellis

Ruined my dreams, I was about to pre order an XB1.

Seriously though, if this is coming down to Sejutsu sage vs. Proelite/CBOAT/Dent I know who I would believe.

CBOAT quote I'm talking about is this:

I believe these are the OS issues.

Does "place" refer to Microsoft or GAF?

tfur

So basically, this is all unconfirmed but people are thinking either:

-The OS has issues, as does the new Xbox Live
-Microsoft has basically embargoed everything related to the console due to these issues + multiplatform game performance

Whynotboth.gif

Bedlam

XB1 ships with only DOS confirmed
Day one for me. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Make editing fake config.sys and autoexec.bat files a meta-minigame on the dashboard (each game has different memory requirements and such ...hint for freeing up memory:
delete all Kinect lines
).

Their servers better up to snuff, because you cannot do jack without that day one update.

The FUD is getting a little thick in here guys. Do you really need me to remind you that the Xbox 360 has consistently performed very well for years, and in fact, most people will tell you they get much faster download speeds while using it?

Mr Moose

I couldn't find a timestamp for when Boyes mentioned native 1080P for COD:Ghosts on PS4, so I watched the stream, and he starts talking about it at 20m25s, for those who want to see it for themselves. Funny how he said it so nonchalantly. Based on what I've been reading, you'd think he made a big deal about it, but he just casually mentions it briefly within his presentation. As if he didn't mean for it to be a big mention for his audience, but knew that his little blurb would be caught and blown up on the Internet. Boyes is masterful!

edit: corrected timestamp and linked the stream

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40142006
skip to 20m25s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1HtCoTKKc

There you go :)

I downloaded the stream, converted it to MP4 then cropped that part out and uploaded it to YouTube.

Edit: The video is 720p, ouch! Now YouTube is trolling.

Iacobellis

The FUD is getting a little thick in here guys. Do you really need me to remind you that the Xbox 360 has consistently performed very well for years, and in fact, most people will tell you they get much faster download speeds while using it?

That doesn't mean anything. Tell me how many times recently has a connected service had a successful launch? Download speeds don't mean anything. Almost everytime a new game is out, the servers go wonky for the first few days. Major corporations like Apple can't keep their site stable whenever a new iPhone goes up for preorder because so many people are trying to login at once.

Remember holiday 2007? When LIVE was performing inconsistently for weeks into the new year? I was bummed as shit because I had just gotten LIVE and would have constant dashboard issues or something related to connecting to players in a game. All we got out of it was Undertow.

Into

I was under the impression that they still have that online activation thing, but that it was a one time only, for each game. So if you get a game now, you would not be able to authenticate it as the servers are likely not up, which is why Gies said reviewers would only review PS4 titles in the next 4 weeks. He also added that it was "stupid reason" and that does sound like a stupid reason.

Granted its Gies, so take anything he has to say about anything with a pinch of salt.

hawk2025

FUD?

You're damn right I have fear, uncertainty and doubt about what the hell is going on. Look at all those tweets. Look at all the information we're receiving piecewise from several sources. Something is going on, and when nothing is being said to address it, guess what? It generates fear, uncertainty and doubt, and it's their own damn fault.

I'm sorry, but when at some point enough things go wrong, no, I won't give them the benefit of the doubt for a damn thing, including launch-day servers. That launch day pre-order is hanging by a thread until we get *solid* information on what's going on, and preferably from Microsoft themselves. I will not make the mistake of buying one (or three, in my case) ticking time bomb again.

That doesn't mean anything. Tell me how many times recently has a connected service had a successful launch? Download speeds don't mean anything. Almost everytime a new game is out, the servers go wonky for the first few days. Major corporations like Apple can't keep their site stable whenever a new iPhone goes up for preorder because so many people are trying to login at once.

Remember holiday 2007? When LIVE was performing inconsistently for weeks into the new year? I was bummed as shit because I had just gotten LIVE and would have constant dashboard issues or something related to connecting to players in a game. All we got out of it was Undertow.

You're referencing some problems they had 6 years ago for a short period of time. It's a rather meaningless point of reference.

They're likely going to have about a million people logging in with XB1's that first day or two. There is no reason they should have server or Xbox Live issues. If they do, they deserve criticism, and I'll be part of it. But we have no real evidence or reason to believe they're going to have a problem.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
As much as I don't care for TheKevinDent, he does know inside info (I believe he called the XB1 Indie plan and what day it was going to be revealed).

Also I could have sworn SenjutsuSage claimed some stuff "from a friend" before and was completely wrong.

Iacobellis

You're referencing some problems they had 6 years ago for a short period of time. It's a rather meaningless point of reference.

They're likely going to have about a million people logging in with XB1's that first day or two. There is no reason they should have server or Xbox Live issues. If they do, they deserve criticism, and I'll be part of it. But we have no real evidence or reason to believe they're going to have a problem.

What I just said is pure evidence. If they can't get their OS to work properly, how do you expect them to be able to handle the influx of users on day one? Mind you they are launching in two of the three major territories on the same date, whereas Sony has split the US and EU release by two weeks.

If I can't update my PS4 on the 15th, big deal. I can still play games offline without the patch. Microsoft is literally forcing this update on everyone that purchases the system.

Mr Moose

I know people don't really like this guy but still:

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 6m

hmm. does anyone know if the elgato HD can introduce tearing into capture footage?

Since the Elgato doesn't work on PS4 from launch, could it mean Xbox One?

Edit:
ah, issue solved. tearing in source, not related to elgato. carry on.
So it's the game/console confirmed then?

Edit again:
no, PC footage where v-sync wasn't enabled.

Guess it was nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom