• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino792

It got closed because people were posting fake tweets, and it got out of control.

Someone with full membership need to create a thread about this video, it's hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnoiCP4MReU

It's another (new) video from Athene on whole Xbox is sub-1080p.

That video is hysterical, I think it already got discussed in the other CoD thread.

Microsoft employee reading the morning news:

gif-sherlock-coffe-amazing-391339.gif

kitch9

Banned
1080p doesn't really matter on a 8 year old engine...

does it ?

Yes because they never think to update the engine why would they as things get more efficient and improve, it makes complete sense that they would stick with completely shitty old code.

kitch9

Banned
Isn't this more of an indictment of IW's developing skill than Microsoft's hardware issues?

Or, Microsoft aren't ready and they have been trying to hit a moving target in the development environment.

Saying that looking at the specs of the One's GPU it simply is not a 1080p GPU.

Or, Microsoft aren't ready and they have been trying to hit a moving target in the development environment.

It's not as simple as that to my knowledge the XB1's GPU can certainly handle 1080p but other effects (framerate, IQ etc.) may have to be lessoned in comparison to its closest competitor

It's biggest problem right now is the ESram because the 32mb seems to be a bottleneck for some new buffering techniques

Ubersnug

...Saying that looking at the specs of the One's GPU it simply is not a 1080p GPU.

But thats complete bollocks...

Forza is 5 1080p, native @ 60fps. NBA is 1080p native @60fps.

The system is capable of outputting NATIVE 1080p.

IF it does turn out to be true and COD Ghosts is 720p on the XOne, I would say its more an indication of Infinity Ward skill set.

Um my gtx 560 can hit 1080p without unified memory, less of it, and less general purpose ram...

Forza 5 is supposed to be running at native 1080p...

So I hope your post is satirical in nature since it happens to be wrong :p

Yes because they never think to update the engine why would they as things get more efficient and improve, it makes complete sense that they would stick with completely shitty old code.

Lol dude, you just called id tech 3 shitty old code...

edit:

Fuck... why aren't more FPS games using id tech 3? TF using source as a basis for their engine is acceptable though.

Radec

COD being 1080p is news in 2013
Console gaming : lowered expectations

CoD still look like shit even at native 1080p.

The impact here is that IW can't even make it run at native 1080p in the Xbone.

So who people are questioning how the fuck does a not so good looking game (that doesn't even have any technical advancements from its PS3/360 versions) not run at a higher resolution on a machine that is much much powerful than the PS3/360 ?

IF it does turn out to be true and COD Ghosts is 720p on the XOne, I would say its more an indication of Infinity Ward skill set.

Its not that simple though.

So are you saying that devs of Killer Instinct, Ryse, and Dead Rising have lesser skill set than the devs of 2K14 and Forza 5 ?

Jack cw

You have to put into perspective that sports games are not as demanding as fancy action games and Forza uses basically a pimped Forza 4 engine with baked lighting, and reflections. The question is, why games like Ryse, KI, or nearly all 3rd parties run at lower resolution. Its a mix of immature tools, weak hardware and bottleneck(s). Cant really blame developers for this.

There's no argument the system can output a standard resolution. Hell, it could output 40k if it wanted. It's not a technical display limit.

The problem comes up when it CAN'T using the same graphical effects that are in place on the PS4 in specific engines, so the choice becomes "Turn of specular highlights" or "Reduce the resolution slightly".

Things obviously optimize and mature as time goes on. Early PS3 games were god awful. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 had a dogshit framerate in 1080p. Tony Hawk games were worse.

The problem is that consoles don't exist in a vacuum. People have a choice, and unless you're a complete masochist, you're probably buying some multiplatform games. That means you will be purchasing a demonstrably uglier game every time.

Not all programmers are created equal. This device is 8 YEARS older than the current Xbox 360. After 8 years, they can't make games run at a consistently higher resolution, specifically one that is on the vast majority of TVs? Doesn't that seem odd.

8 years ago, HDTVs were just becoming popular. 480i was still very common.

Cross-posting this from the other thread; quotes are from Timothy Lottes:
Only DDR3 for system/GPU memory pared with 32MB of "ESRAM" sounds troubling. 32MB of ESRAM is only really enough to do forward shading with MSAA using only 32-bits/pixel color with 2xMSAA at 1080p or 4xMSAA at 720p. Anything else to ESRAM would require tiling and resolves like on the Xbox360 (which would likely be a DMA copy on 720) or attempting to use the slow DDR3 as a render target. I'd bet most titles attempting deferred shading will be stuck at 720p with only poor post process AA (like FXAA).
My personal project is targeting 1080p@60fps with great AA on a 560ti which is a little slower than the rumored Orbis specs. There is no way my engine would hit that target on the rumored 720 specs. Ultimately on Orbis I guess devs target 1080p/30fps (with some motion blur) and leverage the lower latency OS stack and scan out at 60fps (double scan frames) to provide a really great lower-latency experience. Maybe the same title on 720 would render at 720p/30fps, and maybe Microsoft is dedicating a few CPU hardware threads to the GPU driver stack to remove the latency problem (assuming this is a "Windows" OS under the covers).

Of course I have no idea whether this is the case in particular for Ghosts (maybe someone like Durante or gofreak could chime in as to whether this may be part of the case?). And yes, it looks sorta like ass compared to some of the other next-gen games from the PS4 footage shown, regardless of resolution. But I don't think one can really just say "Well this game does it. That game should be able to as well." Different games are doing different things.

The whole "lazy untalented devs" thing seems a bit unwarranted.

kitch9

Banned

The PS3 and 360 can output native 1080p I'm not saying the One can't, but the GPU is simply not a 1080p GPU, its bandwidth and fillrate starved which is important as the pixel count increases, and doesn't have a lot of spare compute available to help out the average at best CPU. Modern techniques will quickly bring the thing to its knees.

The ESRAM is going to struggle to contain a modern 1080p framebuffer too, its simply not happening I'm afraid.

Mitark

this is real news not fake or rumor.

i don't know why people expecting this thread to get locked.

on topic: good news, more 1080p games the better.

Binabik15

The snow map screens look like BC2 on pc with 1080p and medium details for the environment at best, so this betters runs at 1080p and 60fps with zero fps drop on a near 7870 GPU.

Jobbs

Banned
Sony has been coming off so well beginning to end. They always have the right thing and say the right thing. That's how it "feels" right now.

And that's my point -- This is more of a PR problem [for MS] than a substantive problem. Most people don't know o care about 1080p or 720p -- To the average consumer these don't look different on a TV.

Losing control of the PR, and the message, though -- That's substantive.

madmackem

I think what most are over looking on both sides, one lol xboned, the other doesnt matter if its 720p, is that it maybe running at 720p on a brand new $500 console thats just not acceptable and is a sign of ms struggling with their tools and maybe a sign of the struggles ahead to match ps4. This goes way past cod ms needs to answer these questions.

dave_m123

Forza isnt exactly the best example as it does not look very impressive IMO. Driveclub looks substantially better.

Sports game as mentioned by someone else tend not to be that demanding on a system.

Krilekk

Banned

Laugh all you want, that is exactly the ratio at which MW3 outsold Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 3 outsold Killzone 3. And KZ3 released early 2011 with no competition. On a platform with 60 million installed consoles. If anything it's gonna be much worse this time (releasing against the most popular FPS ever and only on one platform with supply problems til January 2014.

SmartBase

Laugh all you want, that is exactly the ratio at which MW3 outsold Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 3 outsold Killzone 3. And KZ3 released early 2011 with no competition. On a platform with 60 million installed consoles. If anything it's gonna be much worse this time (releasing against the most popular FPS ever and only on one platform with supply problems til January 2014.

He's laughing at you because you brought up sales in a graphics thread.

Skeff

But not on anything like a demanding game, a lot of compromises need to be made to hit 1080p, sports games have never pushed the hardware and Forza 5 is not a good example of a next gen game

system11

CoD still look like shit even at native 1080p.

Getting tired of people saying this - presumably they'd be happier if the frame rate was cut in two so that it can move like shit /and/ play like shit, but look great in stills.

I've looked at the videos and it looks fine to me, anyone who expects a huge jump this generation is pretty confused, but the pressure for there to be one is just going to leave us with yet more 30fps. The days of DOA2 appearing in the PS2 launch and hitting the ball out of the park are gone.

StuBurns

Banned
I've looked at the videos and it looks fine to me, anyone who expects a huge jump this generation is pretty confused, but the pressure for there to be one is just going to leave us with yet more 30fps.
It's you that is confused.

KZ's multiplayer is also 1080p/60fps, and it looks massively better graphically.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Of course I have no idea whether this is the case in particular for Ghosts (maybe someone like Durante or gofreak could chime in as to whether this may be part of the case?).

Every game that uses a lot of individual dynamic light sources is probably using deferred rendering techniques, and as it has been written here for months, the size of the ESRAM pool might make these approaches complicated at high resolutions.

famousmortimer said:
Activision is going balls out working on optimizing the game on the xbox one, maybe in time for launch, maybe afterwards, maybe they can't... but they are trying. But as of right now the version people are playing are 1080p on the ps4 and 720p on the xbox one. #truthfact #notflimsy #poundsign

why? has any developer done this before on consoles, trying to patch resolution of a game after its gone gold? afaik its being upscaled on X1 anyways, so why use the time/money/resources for this?

StuBurns

Banned
why? has any developer done this before on consoles, trying to patch resolution of a game after its gone gold? asaik its being upscaled on X1 anyways, so why use the time/money/resources for this?
They have indeed. ZoE2 and Super Stardust on PS3 both did.

FeiRR

Banned
60 million PS3s in 2011? But I think you're placing a safe bet. BF4 will be on 5 platforms and KZ:SF on only one. If KZ:SF sells 3 million copies, I think GG and Sony will be very pleased. That would make BF4 sell 15 million which is less than DICE/EA expect, I think. I also think BF is a much more expensive game to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom